• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Mira - English Dictionary

75 posts in this topic

Posted

I think in everyday life, it does not matter. I also have a few friends who are simply not very good at spelling due to also dropping out of school...and yea, mistakes do happen and I still understand what they are trying to say, so it´s totally fine. :D

But if one is presenting themselves publicly on the internet like Mira does and, more importantly, wants to be taken seriously, I think being careful with your spelling is a kind of a must. Especially if you know you´re generally bad at it. :P

Posted

It's not that she is terrible at spelling, that bothers me. It's the fact that she uses the, "I've lived in Japan for so long, I'm forgetting English." excuse. I sometimes wonder if she does it on purpose, just to make it look like she is forgetting English. There's no need to be that bad at spelling in this day and age, what with spell check. Mira, just prefers to learn the bare minimum.

Posted

It's not that she is terrible at spelling, that bothers me. It's the fact that she uses the, "I've lived in Japan for so long, I'm forgetting English." excuse. I sometimes wonder if she does it on purpose, just to make it look like she is forgetting English. There's no need to be that bad at spelling in this day and age, what with spell check. Mira, just prefers to learn the bare minimum.

UGH.  Seriously, I hate that.  I grew up learning French, but I never use it.. I also haven't forgotten it.  Other jvloggers who have lived in Japan much longer than her are perfectly fine with their English.

She's either just really uneducated, or she's doing on purpose.

Posted

It truly, truly has to be on purpose. It seems most of us on here have experience speaking more than one language or moving abroad, we know it's bull that you forget the only language you spoke for 20+ years in a matter of a couple years. I feel like her videos reach a weeaboo audience who don't realize this.

Posted

It truly, truly has to be on purpose. It seems most of us on here have experience speaking more than one language or moving abroad, we know it's bull that you forget the only language you spoke for 20+ years in a matter of a couple years. I feel like her videos reach a weeaboo audience who don't realize this.

Well.. she is a weeaboo herself, so target audience, write what you know.. I guess?

Posted

When I came back from Japan, I had trouble remembering some words in my native language for a few weeks BUT I think it's impossible to forget how to spell. Also, you can't tell me she has many Japanese friends. I see her as someone who surrounds herself with other "gaijin".

Posted

In her defence; it is possible to forget certain elements of your mother tongue. I was raised in a purely English environment up until I was 13. My family then moved to Germany where I've been living ever since. After ten years, my family pretty much speaks an entirely different language to one another, which is a combination of English and random German words formed into one sentence - aka "denglish".

However, it's hard to forget English entirely considering that it's an international language that's used to communicate. It's basically everywhere in the world. Besides that, Mira has no real excuse for her awful spelling when there are so many options to correct mistyped words. I never did understand why she never proof-reads before posting something that's meant to be taken seriously.

Then again, I forgot she'll never need decent English because she lives in Japan and all that fun stuff. :hurrplz:

Posted

In her defence; it is possible to forget certain elements of your mother tongue. I was raised in a purely English environment up until I was 13. My family then moved to Germany where I've been living ever since. After ten years, my family pretty much speaks an entirely different language to one another, which is a combination of English and random German words formed into one sentence - aka "denglish".

However, it's hard to forget English entirely considering that it's an international language that's used to communicate. It's basically everywhere in the world. Besides that, Mira has no real excuse for her awful spelling when there are so many options to correct mistyped words. I never did understand why she never proof-reads before posting something that's meant to be taken seriously.

Then again, I forgot she'll never need decent English because she lives in Japan and all that fun stuff. :hurrplz:

That we can all agree and sympathize. Since moving abroad my English vocabulary has deteriorated, but not to the point my spellcheck breaks and I can't spell simple words. I don't know anybody who thinks that's cute outside of Venus and Mira.

Posted

^^You were 13 when you moved to Germany. You were in your early teens, at which age your brain had still almost a decade of developing left to do. If you are immersed in a new language and culture as a child, it's easy to pick up the new language and it's easy to forget parts of the language you previously spoke fluently. Mira was an adult when she came to Japan. There is absolutely no way in hell she is forgetting English spelling and simple grammar to the degree that she claims she is, especially since she uses English frequently when she films and communicates with her friends and viewers. If Mira had moved from Canada to Japan as a child and went to a Japanese school and overall been fully immersed in a Japanese speaking environment from a very young age, then I would understand her forgetting English.

Posted

she's definitely not forgetting english, she's just a bad speller. 

Posted (edited)

she's definitely not forgetting english, she's just a bad speller. 

Pretty much. I don't even think that a spell checker will tackle her problem, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Edited by Merlyn

Posted

I'm spanish, I haven't had english classes since 5-6 years ago, and when I have to write something I suffer a bit because I know I will have mistakes.

Then I read what Mira writes and I feel relieved, though I know her mistakes are NOT NORMAL (really? "Dieing" = Dying? wtf!!??).

Sometimes even I think that maybe she is writing a word I don't know, or that I didn't learn something correctly, and then I read her again, and she writes "Univercity", "Univeristy" and University, on the same comment. I don't know what to expect anymore lol. 

Man, there's spellcheck options everywhere. But for some odd reason you can't check sentences and god i wish there was something like that..
Totally agree as a non-native speaker. I expect people who speaks and writes a certain language from birth to adulthood to have advanced throughout the years. This gurl tho nah man
:beardo: Mira needs a new brain.

Posted

I have two native languages; English and Turkish. While my English has been left intact while in Japan (probably thanks to the constant browsing of English websites) my Turkish has suffered a bit.

By suffered, I mean that Japanese words tend to slip out now and again. While English is phonetically unrelated, Turkish sounds quite similar to Japanese and I find it easier to slip between the two without noticing. It's not that I've forgotten Turkish or anything, my grammatical abilities and vocabulary are as good as ever. It's just that my reactions tend to come out in Japanese.

As an example, when I want to know the price of something, I feel the urge to blurt out ''Ikura?'', when I hear something good, I blurt out ''ii ne!'' or I tend to start my sentences with ''tabun'' when the conversation calls for it.

You get the jist.

But these are just learned reactions of mine. They're unrelated to my language ability. I'm basically programmed to use these reactions while living in Japan, so they stuck with me and are a little hard to shake even though the language has changed. 

And it goes both ways. After adapting to Turkey for a while, I tend to slip up and blurt stuff out in Turkish when I get back to Japan.

If this kind of thing was debated, I'd say I agree. But forgetting grammar? Sentence structure? Nu-uh, I'm not buying that.

Posted

Yes, that's similar to a Professor whom I worked with at a University.  He spoke 5 languages fluently.  And sometimes he'd slip into another language.  Usually, when hearing something good or exciting (like in the above post) or if he dropped something or banged his knee on his desk (he was really tall) or by accident when what he was saying was a cognate in one of the other languages.

Grammar and sentence structure remained unaffected. (and in Mira's case, Japanese doesn't have cognates with English)

Posted

I have two native languages; English and Turkish. While my English has been left intact while in Japan (probably thanks to the constant browsing of English websites) my Turkish has suffered a bit.

By suffered, I mean that Japanese words tend to slip out now and again. While English is phonetically unrelated, Turkish sounds quite similar to Japanese and I find it easier to slip between the two without noticing. It's not that I've forgotten Turkish or anything, my grammatical abilities and vocabulary are as good as ever. It's just that my reactions tend to come out in Japanese.

As an example, when I want to know the price of something, I feel the urge to blurt out ''Ikura?'', when I hear something good, I blurt out ''ii ne!'' or I tend to start my sentences with ''tabun'' when the conversation calls for it.

You get the jist.

But these are just learned reactions of mine. They're unrelated to my language ability. I'm basically programmed to use these reactions while living in Japan, so they stuck with me and are a little hard to shake even though the language has changed. 

And it goes both ways. After adapting to Turkey for a while, I tend to slip up and blurt stuff out in Turkish when I get back to Japan.

If this kind of thing was debated, I'd say I agree. But forgetting grammar? Sentence structure? Nu-uh, I'm not buying that.

My point exactly. Mixing languages is something I do too. Knowing three different languages fluently kind of makes me forget about words randomly and I automatically say it in one of the other two languages. The grammar and sentence structure.. Not possible to ruin that.