• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Faking Bad English..

211 posts in this topic

Posted

So in her latest video Mira does her best Russian accent as she attempts to fake bad English at ~1:08 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMwuG-khMJY.

My God she is such a lying bitch. Then a mere couple of minutes later and she's speaking English as fluent as anyone else from North America..

Posted

What always makes me laugh with Mira, is the she says she's forgetting English because she's lived in Japan for sooo long. The problem with your argument Mira is there are people who've lived in Japan way longer and their English is perfectly fine. I believe Mimei and Sharla have been living in Japan longer than her. Then there are people like Hiko, Unrested and Gimmeabreakman who've been there for 10+ years I think. She's just trying to make it look like she's becoming Japanese. "Turning Japanese. I think I'm turning Japanese. I really think so."

She uploaded a video about forgetting English in January 2013. She'd only been living in Japan a year or so. I forgot how long she's been there now. I've never heard other J-Vloggers say they're forgetting English or that they're going to be Japanese. She's so deluded. Also if you search "Forgetting English" into google, her videos are the first ones in the video tab.

Her subscribers are just as dumb and weeaboo as she is. "Mira you're forgetting English."

Posted

Her english is so terrible that my swedish coworker speaks way better on a bad day. It makes her videos hard to watch and for me to take seriously. I can see once and a while saying words wrong ( I do as well) but to completely sound worse than an ESL student is bad.

Posted (edited)

Gave up at the 1:13 mark when she said "It is used all throughout the world, majority in Asia. I think the fact that they want to change such thing is absolutely blasphemous." It's hard enough to listen to her usual ass-talking nonsense, but to deliver it like an ESL stroke patient is too much cringe for me. Combine this with the wall of ass-kissing comments from her braindead fans saying "ooh, I can totally hear you losing your English ne?" and I'm simultaneously embarrassed for her, laughing at her, and pissed off. Which, is an emotional overload. Congrats, Mira. The CIA should use your videos for psych ops. 

BTW this is the second thread where I saw someone mention The Vapor's cult hit Turning Japanese. At the time everyone understood that phrase to be a euphemism for masturbation. So it's somehow even more fitting quoting it in relation to Mira. Her entire wapanese persona is one giant masturbatory exercise.

Edited by Bananamanagistic
Added the aside about Turning Japanese

Posted

LOL I wonder what she'll say when/if Chinese becomes a common language throughout the world. Now it's "Asia", but then it'll be "China and Asia".

And someone mentioned this, but forgetting English is just a fake part Mira acts out, because whenever she gets angry, her English becomes suspiciously fluent, hmmmmmm :douge:

Considering she can't even speak Japanese properly, she'd end up having no language if that were true.

Posted

LOL I wonder what she'll say when/if Chinese becomes a common language throughout the world. Now it's "Asia", but then it'll be "China and Asia".

And someone mentioned this, but forgetting English is just a fake part Mira acts out, because whenever she gets angry, her English becomes suspiciously fluent, hmmmmmm :douge:

Considering she can't even speak Japanese properly, she'd end up having no language if that were true.

OK, I finally had a look around, consulting the researchers and experts at the University of Google. It seems, from a few articles, that it is possible to forget your native tongue--if you become immersed in another language before puberty. The few stories I found of people forgetting their native language were people who moved to another country before their teenage years. Other articles I found back this up, saying it's more likely you can lose your native language skills if you stop speaking it before the age of 10 or so, but that research has shown that after then, it's not going anywhere, even after years of disuse.

This article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27690891

suggests the only exceptions are brain damage, and severe trauma. It mentions a British soldier held captive five years by the Taliban who is having trouble speaking English now that he's free; and of resettled holocaust survivors forgetting German.

So, while it's tempting to believe Mira is brain-damaged, the truth is she's not. And I doubt whatever childhood bullying she got for being a weeb (or being chubby, or whatever) was holocaust-level trauma for her.

It's official, Mira: the internet says you're full of it. Stop embarrassing yourself with your Mickey Rooney I. Y. Yunioshi routine.

Posted

If anything, moving to Japan would make your English sound more like "Japanese English," but you wouldn't forget it all together. But not in fucking Tokyo man, there's plenty of Japanese people there who speak English better than Mira.

To be fair I have had a couple of friends who studied i Japan for a year, and then on return sounded like foreigners because they were so used to when they did speak in English speaking with people who were no good at it and they started to mimic that, partially by accident partially so that the Japanese people could better understand them. But then when they came back to the US people asked them if they were foreigners lol.

But the thing is that they were in a place in Japan were there's almost no English speakers, Mira in Tokyo having her English get so bad makes no sense.

Posted

God, I know Mira's fans love to kiss her ass whenever possible, but are none of them seriously gonna tell her how stupid she sounds? It's so embarrassing.

My mom was born in Denmark and grew up speaking Danish, but learned English as a second language throughout her childhood. She's lived here in the UK for 18+ years now, FAR longer than Mira has been in Japan, and uses English almost exclusively. But she hasn't forgotten Danish. True, sometimes when she speaks she can get a bit overwhelmed and can't word her sentences as smoothly as she used to, but she can still read perfectly. She can still spell Danish words correctly (bearing in mind my mom never went to school as a kid, unlike Mira who at least got some form of education). If my mom - who's lived in English-speaking countries and used English as her primary language for the majority of her adulthood - can't forget her mother language, why are Mira's English skills getting so bad? She blogs primarily in English, 99% of her videos are in English and she hangs around with other foreigners. There's no way her English could get so bad in just a few years. It's complete bullshit.

Posted

^^^

Adding on, I'm French and I actually learned English as a third language. Since I live in the US, I use english 99% of the time and even pick up some slang but I haven't forgotten a lick of my other two langauges. Sure sometimes, I mix it up and get confused and sometimes I forget a word in French, but I can still speak it and remember it. Mira's bad english kind of hurts me grammatically. Why...are you making yourself appear as illiterate, Mira? If she wants a job in Japan later on, knowing both languages will benefit her in finding a profession and...here she is trying to become.. jaPANEZU!! I AM KNOT CANDADIAN I AM JAPAKNEES!!! my engleash is bad!!!!

Posted

BTW this is the second thread where I saw someone mention The Vapor's cult hit Turning Japanese. At the time everyone understood that phrase to be a euphemism for masturbation. So it's somehow even more fitting quoting it in relation to Mira. Her entire wapanese persona is one giant masturbatory exercise.

Remember that youtube comment where someone asked Mira what her sexual orientation was, and she answered "Japanese"?

Posted (edited)

Kinda OT. I wanna share my experience too. I lost most of my mother tongue (Spanish) because the American school I attended forced me to speak 100% English, 100% of the time. And as a result my spanish is slow and choppy and awkward at first, but after a while it comes out decent. I can understand just fine even without exposure for long periods of time. But this is as a user said before, immersion at a young age caused the stunt. 

My parents have NOT lost their Spanish despite being here 30+ years. It is near impossible to forget your native language after childhood, because of the way it is stored in your brain.  Mira is so full of crap it makes me irrationally angry, especially as a child of immigrants. 

Edited by Muñeca♡
My spelling is super bad....

Posted

Why are Mira's English skills getting so bad? She blogs primarily in English, 99% of her videos are in English and she hangs around with other foreigners. There's no way her English could get so bad in just a few years. It's complete bullshit.

Mira has said numerous times she arrived in Japan in November of 2011.

Mira's first video telling us "She's forgetting English" was posted on January 2nd of 2013, barely over a year after her triumphant arrival in glorious Nippon. She's full of shit. Stop lying Mira, nobody believes you.

(And I'm sorry everyone.. This whole new thread was a n00b accident and was supposed to be just another comment in the "Video" section.. D'oh?! Forgive me, heh..)

2013-01-02-ForgettingEnglish.png

Posted

Mira has said numerous times she arrived in Japan in November of 2011.

Mira's first video telling us "She's forgetting English" was posted on January 2nd of 2013, barely over a year after her triumphant arrival in glorious Nippon. She's full of shit. Stop lying Mira, nobody believes you.

(And I'm sorry everyone.. This whole new thread was a n00b accident and was supposed to be just another comment in the "Video" section.. D'oh?! Forgive me, heh..)

I think a separate thread about this is fine. Her tortured relationship with the English language is one of the most excruciating things about her (for me, anyway). I wish she'd just stop commenting about how she feels about English, IN ENGLISH no less. At this point if she's so goddamn Japanese why doesn't she just stop communicating in English altogether. She was never any good at it anyway.