• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Can "Lilou Vos" get sued for her threats?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Please remove this thread if it is inappropriate, I apologize in advance if it is.

So, you guys all know the whole sockpuppet/lolcow debacle with Kirsten Ostrenga, I'm sure. I actually took some time to read a few of her posts on Lolcow, particularly those targeting other members and Taylor R.

I was wondering if she could actually be charged for some of the things she has said on there; particularly telling people to kill themselves. Are there laws that actually forbid people to say these things? I know cyberbullying and bullying laws are more or less a thing, so I wondered if something as direct as "Go kill yourself" is against the law. 

Posted

What she was doing was something that could equate to harassment, but I think legislation depends on the country or, in the USA, by state. That's more of an assumption than fact, but there was a girl who got sued because she was telling a "friend" to commit suicide and he eventually went with it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/teenage-girl-who-urged-boyfriend-to-kill-himself-to-stand-trial-a7116846.html

However whether it is the act of telling the person to do it, the context, or the reaction of the victim that matters I am uncertain.

Posted

Maybe look into cyber bullying