• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

9398 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

things aren't changing that fast because you can't suddenly displace beauty standards/a culture of beauty that's been there for literally centuries. it takes time. but kpop stars like hwasa, lee hyori, yoobin, and jessi are all lauded for being beautiful in their tan skin. no one actively gives kpop idols shit for being tan - they'll say "oh he's tan" or make a joke about it (aka kai, they always call him "oh he's so dark" because he's tan for korean standards) but it's nothing hurtful. you have to understand that what is considered funny is different in korea - what is considered funny in america is found to be vulgar in korea (openly talking about hookups, cussing on camera, etc.), and what koreans find funny can seem insensitive to those of color, but it's all about perspective. korea hasn't been integrated enough yet but people are realizing/learning/accepting that thinking tan skin is "ugly" is wrong. making jokes about it light-heartedly isn't necessary shitting on them lmfao. 

and if korea did get her beauty standards from korea, then i guess she's into being an ethnicity she's not. sorry that she doesn't feel secure enough in her own skin, and i'm sorry that you find it necessary to dump the blame on a whole other culture/country. and "tan skin looks better than pale skin"? what a double standard. i find tan and pale skin both beautiful, but i prefer to be pale because that's my natural color and i can't tan. but you dont see me disparaging anyone for being tan. how about you learn to be a little more sensitive? perhaps you should suggest she looks better in her NATURAL tone, because she has more than enough capacity to look beautiful by embracing her natural features. 

We are not blaming korea for poki´s attempts to hide her ethnicity, its pretty much the opposite, poki tries to look like she is korean to appeal to the huge weeb audience on twitch. Though I dont think denying that women from korea want to be pale and that is the beauty standard there is a good argument. Most of cosmetics in korea have some sort of whitewashing effect, and you can see korean celebrities often praised on how pale they are. You can see korean women on summer with long sleeves and umbrellas because they don´t want to get tanned. They also have whitewashing treatments that don´t exist in other countries because there is no demand for it. Is like saying that double eyelids are not desirable in korea. Maybe being tanned is being normalized lately, but to say it isnt undesirable in korea sounds a bit ignorant tbh.

Edited by walker

Posted

1) She gets this idea because of her social circle, I mean we Asians are sort of to blame for this as colorism is very prevalent in a lot of Asian cultures. But again its hilariously sad watching her purport the virtues of self love- yet she can't accept her actual skin tone.

2)No, Greek is just visiting OfflineTV

Ok, thanks. ^.^ 

Maybe I'm wrong because she's been talking about going tanning a lot lately, lol. 

Posted

We are not blaming korea for poki´s attempts to hide her ethnicity, its pretty much the opposite, poki tries to look like she is korean to appeal to the huge weeb audience on twitch. Though I dont think denying that women from korea want to be pale and that is the beauty standard there is a good argument. Most of cosmetics in korea have some sort of whitewashing effect, and you can see korean celebrities often praised on how pale they are. You can see korean women on summer with long sleeves and umbrellas because they don´t want to get tanned. They also have whitewashing treatments that don´t exist in other countries because there is no demand for it. Is like saying that double eyelids are not desirable in korea. Maybe being tanned is being normalized lately, but to say it isnt undesirable in korea sounds a bit ignorant tbh.

that person literally said what poki does reminds them of what "korean girls do to look white" lmfao, and then countered me asking that poki might've gotten her standards from korea. im from korea. ik exactly what the beauty standards are like, and yes, tan skin isn't deemed as the most beautiful, but it's no longer seen as "ugly". i ws trying to say that it was being accepted, although not necessarily the most beautiful route. korean cosmetics have limited range/whitewashing effects because it's desirable in korea - i made that clear and you indicated that because of the society's homogenous structure, it's understandable why. ? i don't really get wher et he double eyelid argument is coming from but nowadays the non double eyelid is desirable; or rather, it's a lot more desirable on men. but a lot more korean people appreciate people without double eyelids because they look more classic asian beautiful. 

Posted

tan skin looks better than pale skin"? what a double standard. i find tan and pale skin both beautiful, but i prefer to be pale because that's my natural color and i can't tan. but you dont see me disparaging anyone for being tan. how about you learn to be a little more sensitive? perhaps you should suggest she looks better in her NATURAL tone, because she has more than enough capacity to look beautiful by embracing her natural features. 

Lol gurl chill.  It's not that deep. I'm okay with pale skin on people. I just prefer tan skin. Are you gonna pull a Poki and tell me to "do better?" But I'm glad I got that response out of you. You want an apology? kk sory jeongmal mianhae 😄😉

Posted (edited)

D71DF27D-75DF-4529-9DB9-E4B97292572A.thuIn my humble opinion, as much as I don’t enjoy her I think it’s sad to want someone’s career to end rather than give feedback / comment on what they do wrong. 

I agree with almost everything here, maybe it’s my age but I think it’s pretty rough to be happy about someone being so confused in life? 

I checked her sub twitter and I saw her comment about how people seem emotionally fulfilled and she doesn’t, I’m sure that deep down she didn’t want things to end up like this but the scary part about noticing the key to easy money is stopping yourself from taking the route.

She doesn’t seem happy at all and that kind of doesn’t make me happy, because old poki wasn’t like that.

I genuinely want her to realize that what she has done in current time and past is extremely wrong and try to opt for a less shallow career than the beauty industry so she doesn’t lose herself completely.

I don’t hate her, I feel sorry for her. Having that much money only to realize that all the people you cared about slowly turned their backs on you because you abused them when the fame got to her head.

In my career field this is easy to see too, there’s certain routes people take which makes them get lost in numbers and that’s what changes you deep down in a emotional level, but it’s never too late to go back and try your best. 

She could repair relationships if she tried and she would feel good about genuinely apologizing for her wrong doings, but she’s so deep into the mess that she would probably become a genuine human being if she swapped to a career where she uses her brain instead of being the center of attention.

As much as I dislike her, I don’t hate people because I’m a humanitarian so I have the “flaw” of wanting everyone to be happy, I hope she sits down and rethinks her future decisions and focuses on improving her character instead of chasing empty money. She has enough bank to invest into a business if she wants to. 

Its sad to watch her play stupid and ghetto when 3-4 years ago she was funny, quick witted and had a real laugh. 

I don’t know about you guys but this picture just looks sad to me.  

Im sure some of you will find this to be a w/k post, but the other day I spoke to a girl, very much alike to poki in some way as I saw her change through out the years, but she has opened up in a way and told me how she regrets everything and that was the similar advice I gave to her and she has been improving since.

Im by no means saying that what poki has done is okay, definitely not, but I’m a firm believer in that people can change. I really hope she realizes it’s not too late. 

I actually agree with you on this. I don't "hate" anyone and I don't want her to suffer or feel like she has to quit streaming, but I do wish she would reflect on herself and how she has changed and maybe just work on self improvement and humbling herself. I also believe people can change, and I used to really enjoy her streams 2+ years ago. It's sad how she has changed but she has chosen this route herself as an adult. Sadly, she doesn't seem to feel very bad about the wrong she's done to others which is one of the reasons I'm here. =/ 

Edited by dragonette
Added to post

Posted (edited)

that person literally said what poki does reminds them of what "korean girls do to look white" lmfao, and then countered me asking that poki might've gotten her standards from korea. im from korea. ik exactly what the beauty standards are like, and yes, tan skin isn't deemed as the most beautiful, but it's no longer seen as "ugly". i ws trying to say that it was being accepted, although not necessarily the most beautiful route. korean cosmetics have limited range/whitewashing effects because it's desirable in korea - i made that clear and you indicated that because of the society's homogenous structure, it's understandable why. ? i don't really get wher et he double eyelid argument is coming from but nowadays the non double eyelid is desirable; or rather, it's a lot more desirable on men. but a lot more korean people appreciate people without double eyelids because they look more classic asian beautiful. 

The point im trying to make here is that poki wants to appeal to the weeb audience, and to do that she wants to look as pale as posible because thats the image a lot of weeb and kpop fans have of beauty. Also I think is fair to say that korean girls will do things to look pale that people from other countries wont do. The reason I brought up the double eyelid thing was to ilustrate how it isn´t necessary to have them to be consider beautiful in korea but it overall adds to the image a lot of korean girls want to achieve, in the same way having pale skin does. Again saying a lot more girls now want to have monolids instead of double eyelids sounds straight up false, seeing how the demand for these kinds of surgeries in korea is rising. I think we are going really off topic with this conversation and I think you just got triggered because you thought we were critequing korea for its beauty standards, which is just a missundersanding.

Edited by walker

Posted

I’m not trying to offend anyone nor am I superior to anyone. This isn’t about me, I just wanted to explain my post. It’s ot as heck but I don’t think I’m better than anyone, and I’ll leave it at that. Continue with the poki

Posted (edited)

I´m not asian but I can imagine if I was, it would be so triggering to see her constantly try to make people think she is asian. If you look at her candids, she is as far as the ideal asian beauty standard as posible, dark skin, big jaw, toucan nose and on the heavy side of the spectrum. I cant recall how many times ive seen people say she is asian, at this point is her viewers fault for not being able tell the difference. And if i was middle eastern i would be offended that she tries so fucking hard to hide her ethnicity.

EXACTLY! That's what I've been thinking all along. There was a time I was ashamed of my ethnicity as well, but when you're somewhat famous it just seems wrong to deceive so many people? 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/340208867 

4:23:00

Did anyone else notice how Poki rarely gets her own food/beverages these days? Someone else from the house usually brings them right to her. Yvonne didn't seem too thrilled about being a servant in this, either? 

It's like she doesn't even have friends anymore; just yes-men and servants who cater to her all the time. What a shallow and empty life. =/ 

Edited by dragonette

Posted (edited)

I get your point but Twitch is still a gaming platform, despite the growing popularity of the irl section. Lily can't play games, her gameplay has always been poor. Yes, she is still better than Poki because of the reasons you mentioned, but I think in the gaming community the best representative for girls would be a streamer who ACTUALLY plays games on a competitive level, has any achievements and is entertaining enough to have a decent audience. If in your opinion someone who has been hard stuck in gold for few years and doesn't even take gaming seriously is a great representative for girls on Twitch then good for you, but I don't think if every girl streamer would serve the same content as Lily does that would raise the amount of respect girls get on Twitch. I don't consider Valkyrae as the best representative for girl gamers but at least she can hold her own in professional tournaments (I know there are plenty more skilled girls than Valk but they don't get that much viewers and doesn't seem to have the personality factor to attract people)  and is one of the very few girl streamers with bigger audience that is respected in the community and people don't consider her as an "e-thot".  If Valk  will keep on getting better at Fortnite and won't go the same path as Poki then she might inspire some girls who are good at games but don't feel confident enough to start streaming and the situation of girls on Twitch will get better. At the end of the day all of the biggest streamers are still pro or retired pro players  so I'm not sure why do you think talents other than gaming should be higher appreciated than being good at games.

Valkyrae's played 7,000 games and is still only a 2 K/D player, and that number has largely stayed the same throughout season 4, 5, and 6. She hasn't improved at all. And if her community is anything like like other girl streamers that's with stream snipers feeding her kills all the time. Poki as well, without being carried, is a low platinum league player and closer to a 1 K/D fornite player. These aren't competitive gamers in any sense of the word. 

These people don't deserve admiration or pats on the back for displaying mediocre gaming skills. I agree with you about twitch and it's core audience still being gamers. But with the gradual increase in IRL/Just Chatting it's only a matter of time until make-up people and all sorts of people become popular on the platform. At least reward people that excel in areas other than editing photos and ass-shots. A simple rule of thumb should be that if the streamer wouldn't be successful as an average looking guy, don't act like their success came from anything other than their looks. They are glorified cam girls. 

Edited by Jet_

Posted

Valkyrae's played 7,000 games and is still only a 2 K/D player, and that number has largely stayed the same throughout season 4, 5, and 6. She hasn't improved at all. And if her community is anything like like other girl streamers that's with stream snipers feeding her kills all the time. Poki as well, without being carried, is a low platinum league player and closer to a 1 K/D fornite player. These aren't competitive gamers in any sense of the word. 

These people don't deserve admiration or pats on the back for displaying mediocre gaming skills. I agree with you about twitch and it's core audience still being gamers. But with the gradual increase in IRL/Just Chatting it's only a matter of time until make-up people and all sorts of people become popular on the platform. At least reward people that excel in areas other than editing photos and ass-shots. A simple rule of thumb should be that if the streamer wouldn't be successful as an average looking guy, don't act like their success came from anything other than their looks. They are glorified cam girls. 

I'm going to keep this short since it is OT, but Twitch has seriously gone downhill over the past few years with their copyright bs and IRL promotion. They are pandering so hard to "normies" because, just like Poki (and most people in this world), all they care about is money. Just my opinion, because I miss the days when Twitch was really about gaming and people who were passionate about it. 

Posted (edited)

I actually agree with you on this. I don't "hate" anyone and I don't want her to suffer or feel like she has to quit streaming, but I do wish she would reflect on herself and how she has changed and maybe just work on self improvement and humbling herself. I also believe people can change, and I used to really enjoy her streams 2+ years ago. It's sad how she has changed but she has chosen this route herself as an adult. Sadly, she doesn't seem to feel very bad about the wrong she's done to others which is one of the reasons I'm here. =/ 

Agreed.  And if she is feeling bad, it most certainly isn’t because of her past decisions, because her actions speak otherwise.  Contstantly moaning on Twitter, expecting people to cater to your needs, amongst other things.  She seems more focused on herself now more than ever, if that was even possible.  It’s sad considering how she lives in a house full of people, and is around a few more +has this huge loyal fan base, yet has failed to learn empathy and even truly connect.  I feel like that just shows she was probably always this type of person.  I know of few IRL Pokis myself, and they have yet to change and have many years on this girl. Makes me think there isn’t hope for her, but hey someone has to be optimistic🤷🏻‍♀️

[OT] : If Poki did LEGIT damage control and was honest and made strides to really be a better person and role model, I think it would benefit her.  There are enough shady Internet personalities as it is, I think many of us value ones who can hold themselves accountable for their actions and behavior. It’s a rarity anymore.

Edited by stickfigurine
added ot

Posted (edited)

The point im trying to make here is that poki wants to appeal to the weeb audience, and to do that she wants to look as pale as posible because thats the image a lot of weeb and kpop fans have of beauty. Also I think is fair to say that korean girls will do things to look pale that people from other countries wont do. The reason I brought up the double eyelid thing was to ilustrate how it isn´t necessary to have them to be consider beautiful in korea but it overall adds to the image a lot of korean girls want to achieve, in the same way having pale skin does. Again saying a lot more girls now want to have monolids instead of double eyelids sounds straight up false, seeing how the demand for these kinds of surgeries in korea is rising. I think we are going really off topic with this conversation and I think you just got triggered because you thought we were critequing korea for its beauty standards, which is just a missundersanding.

i know that's your point, i was talking about the other person who's been straight up trolling while replying to me when i was explaining what i meant. (also the monolids thing - i meant more people are appreciate of them, but i didn't mean that double eyelids surgery was suddenly being displaced - it is v much prevalent still) thank you for clarifying what you were saying tho, because i definitely agree that poki wants to appeal to a certain audience. i cant believe I didn't really consider that her editing herself to make herself look more washed out to be one of the means she's using to appeal to that crowd until literally reading you're first sentence though, wow that's just me being dumb LMAO

yeah no, the other person who's been replying to me was getting me worked up - i'm all about cultural relativism and respectful criticism. 

Lol gurl chill.  It's not that deep. I'm okay with pale skin on people. I just prefer tan skin. Are you gonna pull a Poki and tell me to "do better?" But I'm glad I got that response out of you. You want an apology? kk sory jeongmal mianhae 😄😉

nah, im just gonna accept that you're a troll who thinks that just because you're on the internet, means that you can go ahead and pull the hurr-durr card of ignorance and general disrespectfulness. sorry, your wording didn't really strike me as you're okay with pale skin, but that pale skin is straight up worse than tan skin. now thank you, next ^^ 

Edited by lissandra

Posted

EXACTLY! That's what I've been thinking all along. There was a time I was ashamed of my ethnicity as well, but when you're somewhat famous it just seems wrong to deceive so many people? 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/340208867 

4:23:00

Did anyone else notice how Poki rarely gets her own food/beverages these days? Someone else from the house usually brings them right to her. Yvonne didn't seem too thrilled about being a servant in this, either? 

It's like she doesn't even have friends anymore; just yes-men and servants who cater to her all the time. What a shallow and empty life. =/ 

Poki didn't even look at Yvonne in the face lmao you would think once you acknowledge someone you would keep your attention on them at least a little bit, especially when they're doing something nice for you. Yvonne's body language totally showed how annoyed she was.

Posted

i was wondering - a little ot, but are there any underrated girl gamers who you think might be a better representation for the girl gaming community than poki? im looking for underrated, but high quality league game play girl streamers to start watching haha