• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Opinions on Shipping/OTPs?

20 posts in this topic

Posted

For those of you who don't know what shipping is it's basically just wanting two fictional (or non-fictional) people together in a romantic relationship. 

I have to admit, this isn't the most interesting topic to talk discuss, but shipping seems to be kind of a touchy topic within most if not all fandoms. So what are your thoughts on ships? Do you love them or hate them?

Posted

Real Person Ships: Don't. They're real people. You can support two people who are currently in a relationship, but don't start hardcore shipping.

Fictional ships: Depends. Casual shipping is fine, but if you're straight up threatening to murder people who ship something else or turning those characters into mindless sex machines, we're going to have a problem. 

Posted

I think fictional ships and OTPs are alright. But my problem about them is how crazy people get when it comes to fictional ships. The toxicity of people who say "if you don't ship this [insert negative something here]" is really annoying. I hate incest ships the most, like what the fuck, how are people defending incest ships? As for IRL ships, god no.

Posted (edited)

Shipping makes the show/game/whatever more fun. It's literally impossible for me to just watch/play something and not ship at least one person. I'm not even saying that to be edgy I'm being 100% serious, lol it's just.. something I've literally always done. I don't attack people or anything for my ships. 'Cause I don't have to since they're always canon :hoplz:. So even if people don't ship them the creator does sooo. 

But nah I don't do real people unless we're talking about their characters in the show.

Edited by Sodapop
Take a shot every time I saw 'literally' lmao

Posted

Real people ships are a big no-no. I remember stumbling over a NSFW Daisuke Ono x Hiroshi Kamiya fanfic once and I didn't enjoy it at all precisely because of the fact that they're real people (especially considering that Kamiya apparently is married and has a kid but even if he and Ono had been a couple it still wouldn't have felt right). Shipping two live action characters is completely fine in my book though since you're only shipping the characters the actors are portraying, not the actors themselves.

As for fictional characters and OTPs, of course there are times when fans act dumb (like that Haikyuu!! translator or whatever who stopped translating around chapter 25 because she didn't like the fact that her OTP wasn't canon) or go batshit crazy and shipping wars occur, but overall I think shipping is a fun ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) activity

Posted

Never jumped on the shipping train. The only time I enjoy it is when it's a series with multiple potential love interests and if the characters are well developed. lol Rare exceptions for Kdramas (I'm fucking looking at you, School 2015) where I ship the hopeless second lead who doesn't have a chance with the MC. I didn't realize shipping was such a big thing until I was researching BL for school. Wasn't aware how intense people get over their ships. 

Shipping real people creeps me tf out. Just, don't. Don't. Boy band ships scare me a lot. 

Posted

RL ships kind of vary depending on the context, and whether or not it's considered shipping at that point. Like, I loved the RL bromance between Josh Gad and Luke Evans on Beauty and the Beast, but shipping them together makes me uncomfortable just for the fact that they're real people.

Meanwhile, I don't mind shipping their characters from the film together, and furthermore, don't have many issues against the ship itself despite its problematic elements. The latter of which is an issue in fandom, perhaps more persistently on tumblr as tumblr's mechanics allow for users to create an echo chamber where people radicalize each other over personal values, to where it lends permission to police fandom on what is an isn't acceptable in terms of ships and the kinds of content people want to create (fanart, fanfic, meta, etc.) 

But to get back on point with RL ships, I don't mind it as much when people ship people who are in a relationship together (like Brangelina or Billary). That's usually not the case though.

Like, just a few days ago I came across a youtube video that tried to argue that two members of BTS went and had a makeout session while at an awards event and had hickey's on their necks at the end of the event to prove it. Like....making that kind of argument, even if it is true, is just so disrespectful to me, because it's not taking into consideration how those people would feel about having their relationship discussed like that. And because they're speculating a relationship between two men, there's something fetishistic about it as well, which is pretty gross.

However, I am 100% supportive of real person crack ships like Donald Trump/Ted Crux, because it's parody that's meant to poke fun at, and most people aren't genuinely serious about that sort of thing. So it's fine imo, haha.

When it comes to fictional ships, I'm generally in agreement with most others here that it's fine so long as no one is trying to discourage someone from shipping the thing. Ship wars in particular baffle me, because if someone is shipping something I don't like, my first instinct isn't going to be lording my ship over theirs. I'm just gonna go ship my thing and ignore them because pissing contests over fictional characters is a waste of time lol. 

I will say context kind of matters in some instances. Like if someone is shipping a problematic ship where abuse is involved, but even that needs to be judged case by case, and in terms of what the interest/goal is in supporting such a thing. But if it's something that's like, outright racist or something, a conversation should be had about it to point out what's wrong with it, with the goal being to give the person the benefit of the doubt as attacking them outright usually ends poorly. 

But tbh, when it comes to mainstream ships (that I actually like, myself) I usually dislike 99% of the content produced as the audience it attracts creates content I don't care for, and actually dislike. Good example would be Cullen/Inquisitor from Dragon Age. I liked Cullen in Origins and DA2, but DAI glossed over a lot of the stuff I liked from those games to make him more ~safe~ for the new audience, which is part of the reason why there's people who hate him. And naturally it leads to a lot of White Guy With Issues stanning that UGH stop please nO. 

But when it comes to fic and fanart, a lot of it tends to mischaracterized Cullen as this Confident Stud, leading to a lot of boring heteronormative tropes that I just Can't Deal With. So I usually just quietly disengage when I encounter that stuff and look at stuff I actually like. 

Like there's really nothing wrong with liking that stuff, it just becomes a problem when folks say it's the only way to enjoy the thing in question, or otherwise are telling people liking it that way is wrong. 

Posted (edited)

-

Edited by maiviam

Posted (edited)

I don't have a problem with it if everyone's just joking around and keeping it on the low; not shoving down the people being shipped's throats. If they're constantly harassing people because of it then yeah that's weird. Shipping is fun until it gets creepy. Y'know. The NSFW accounts...

Edited by A.G.

Posted

Fictional shipping is okay, I live for fictional shipping because it’s the only thing keeping me sane; I don’t interact with the fandom though, better leave that alone. The only RL shipping I do is crack ships that i don’t even talk seriously myself. 

Posted

I don't mind fictional shipping, I do it myself but I find it so weird when people take it so seriously and start 'shipping wars'. Like sis, it's not that serious. I think that many shippers ruin the fandoms, especially with them constantly harrassing the cast of the TV shows about it or the writrers. Shipping real people is a big no-no, unless it's done in a joking way and you're not harrassing the people about it, though it still can be kind of weird.

Posted (edited)

I wonder how Diplo would feel/think if he has met Sarah in person... 🐸☕️

PS: I really liked those photos taken by that Robert guy! She looked way better & sexier imo! Fresh & she didn't look stinky lol

IMG_6529.PNG

wrong post????? Sorry!

Edited by VenTarSum
wrong post

Posted

i'm fine with fictional shipping, as long as it isnt incestuous/pedophilic etc. however, i hate real people shipping even if they're band members or celebrities. i also hate how fetishy many shippers can be (fetishizing gay men/asian men)

also im really sick of people on tumblr calling anyone who doesnt approve of pedophilic or incestuous ships an """anti""". even if these characters are fictional, it's kind of a red flag that someone would find shipping an adult and a child appealing in the first place.

Posted

I still ship the same OTP from 2000's so I'm all about that fictional shipping. Now real life shipping? Okay I will admit I was big on the YunJae TVXQ ship but I've since kind of grown out of it...kinda. Ahem. But I think if you ship in your own private time and you're not disturbing anyone or harming them in anyway then that's fine. But if you are going to do it publicly then I think a line has to be drawn somewhere. 

I really can't say much because I ship but I do not force my ships on people and I keep it mostly private save for a few friends who like the same ships. Other than that I think folks just need to be prepared for backlash for liking ships in general. It seems to be the thing now.  

Posted

I still ship Black Hat and Flug from Villainous tbh. I also ship Nightwing and Kid Flash from Young Justice.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.