• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

British Comedy

17 posts in this topic

Posted

(I’ve always loved stuff like Father Ted,Mr Bean,Wallace and Gromit,Little Britain,Birds of a Feather (both the original and the reboot) and later Porridge,Black Adder,Alo Alo! and Auf Wiendersen Pet)

and currently 

French and Saunders bhgfgfr.thumb.jpg.c65f2c03172afa9e38207e

Absolutely Fabulous Absolutely_Fabulous_Cast.thumb.jpg.d472c

The Young Ones the_young_ones.thumb.jpg.ee7def07281cc37

Bottom bott.thumb.PNG.981c5b86e075f33880dccacc2

Filthy,Rich and Catflap filthy_rich_and_catflap.thumb.jpg.7cd2bb

The New Statesman tumblr_nvmbe6WVEc1uw70lmo1_1280.thumb.jp

Believe Nothing gfgfrde.thumb.jpg.d6db5b64c6a8af418e0bcd

The Comic Strip Presents f4be747b956475571a5af31c55473b65.thumb.j

The Dangerous Brothers ac19b730fa2daf539339fd6a14b32583.thumb.j

Kick up the eighties rm.thumb.jpg.b8245dc1a378293e6a0b579c721

The Mighty Boosh images_(57).thumb.jpg.d44f6da4fe53088356

Miranda p01l4swf.thumb.jpg.3fe2a5b453f3fcebcdd80

Quacks 624.thumb.jpg.f15f016bccab6f0d3d64bfa1b4

Monty Python's Flying Circus monty-python-5023bd28a513c.thumb.jpg.930

Fawlty Towers 3AEFE0F100000578-3993528-image-a-28_1480

The Two Ronnies 

Open All Hours webANXopenallhours.thumb.jpg.0b65a06c3ff

and The Catherine Tate Show lg_20160524114029_25.thumb.jpg.86065a733

(my mom watches mrs browns Boys with me sometimes and it's painful)

what british sitcoms/situation comedies do you enjoy?

Posted

Anything with Graham Norton is a must for me.

Posted

(I’ve always loved stuff like Father Ted,Mr Bean,Wallace and Gromit,Little Britain,Birds of a Feather (both the original and the reboot) and later Porridge,Black Adder,Alo Alo! and Auf Wiendersen Pet)

and currently 

French and Saunders bhgfgfr.thumb.jpg.c65f2c03172afa9e38207e

Absolutely Fabulous Absolutely_Fabulous_Cast.thumb.jpg.d472c

The Young Ones the_young_ones.thumb.jpg.ee7def07281cc37

Bottom bott.thumb.PNG.981c5b86e075f33880dccacc2

Filthy,Rich and Catflap filthy_rich_and_catflap.thumb.jpg.7cd2bb

The New Statesman tumblr_nvmbe6WVEc1uw70lmo1_1280.thumb.jp

Believe Nothing gfgfrde.thumb.jpg.d6db5b64c6a8af418e0bcd

The Comic Strip Presents f4be747b956475571a5af31c55473b65.thumb.j

The Dangerous Brothers ac19b730fa2daf539339fd6a14b32583.thumb.j

Kick up the eighties rm.thumb.jpg.b8245dc1a378293e6a0b579c721

The Mighty Boosh images_(57).thumb.jpg.d44f6da4fe53088356

Miranda p01l4swf.thumb.jpg.3fe2a5b453f3fcebcdd80

Quacks 624.thumb.jpg.f15f016bccab6f0d3d64bfa1b4

Monty Python's Flying Circus monty-python-5023bd28a513c.thumb.jpg.930

Fawlty Towers 3AEFE0F100000578-3993528-image-a-28_1480

The Two Ronnies 

Open All Hours webANXopenallhours.thumb.jpg.0b65a06c3ff

and The Catherine Tate Show lg_20160524114029_25.thumb.jpg.86065a733

(my mom watches mrs browns Boys with me sometimes and it's painful)

what british sitcoms/situation comedies do you enjoy?

You already posted some that I'm a fan of so I'll list some not already mentioned.

Green Wing, Peep Show, Spaced, The office, Keeping up appearances, One foot in the grave, Red Dwarf, The Royle Family, Shameless and Phoenix Nights.

I watched My Family and My Hero as a kid but I know I wouldn't find it funny now I'm older.

Panel shows like Never mind the Buzzcocks and Have I got news for you, the older series of QI.

Ugh Mrs Browns Boys is mindnumbing. I can't laugh at it.

I wasn't sure whether to put Bob and Margaret on here, even though it's a British-Canadian show it seemed like it's production etc was more rooted in Canada than Britain even if the cast and setting was part British.

I really like The Ricky Gervais show, the animated version of the radioshows/podcasts he did with Karl Pilkington and Stephen Merchant. Had nice Hanna-Barbera-esque style animation. Would love for more of these to be made using whatever archived audio they have from the XFM days. There's not enough of this show!

Posted

considering the panel shows are you on tumblr? (I follow lots of british comedy blogs and blogs that post gifs from different panel shows)

also I like The Office,One foot in the grave and steptoe and son (I have two acquaintances who love Red Dwarf)

and what are the shows I mentioned that you are already a fan of?

Posted

considering the panel shows are you on tumblr? (I follow lots of british comedy blogs and blogs that post gifs from different panel shows)

also I like The Office,One foot in the grave and steptoe and son (I have two acquaintances who love Red Dwarf)

and what are the shows I mentioned that you are already a fan of?

I've never used tumblr unfortunately. But the ones I mentioned are really good in my opinion. Never mind the Buzzcocks is centred around music knowledge (the years of Simon Amstell being the host are my fave), Have I got news for you is centred around the news/politics and QI is just anything and everything. Even if you're not a fan of music/politics the first two are funny regardless of what the show is about so I wouldn't let it put people off.

I forgot to mention Mock the week, it's another panel show but it also has a lot of standup sequences from comedians riffing off of snippets of news which make it a little different from other panel shows. As the comedians are put on the spot it reminds me of Whose line is it anyway in that they often keep when the comedians mess up or don't land a joke sometimes.

Of what you've mentioned I like 'Alo 'Alo!, Wallace and Gromit, Father Ted, Mr Bean and The Mighty Boosh.

Posted

I've seen some of Mock of the week and one episode of The Mighty Boosh which entertained me

I've always loved watching wallace and gromit (I'd watch it and mr bean and tom and jerry with my dad sometimes)

I watched the Father Ted christmas special on christmas

I've recently became a huge fan of Rik Mayall (after watching The Young Ones I learnt that I was in King Arthur's disasters  (a show from my childhood) and I've just been watching a lot of the tv shows he was in)

I like Quacks because I've always loved victorian history and british comedy has become something of a replacement for anime 

I used to love anime and then I found out almost everything got bought by crunchyroll and due to my slow internet the loading screens never stop

the old sites I used glitch sometimes so I only really watch anime if I find a obscure dvd while out shopping

however I used to be a bit of a weeb with anime but now I'm just a british sitcom fan who occasionally likes listening to japanese city pop and 80s music

I've always liked british comedy it just wasn't until recently that found as many shows as before 

Posted

I've recently became a huge fan of Rik Mayall (after watching The Young Ones I learnt that I was in King Arthur's disasters  (a show from my childhood) and I've just been watching a lot of the tv shows he was in)

My boyfriend is more of a fan of Rik Mayall than me because he really enjoys anything 80's~ but I watched King Arthur's disasters too when I was younger. I suspect you're not British, but maybe you are. If you aren't I wonder if you watch most of the British shows you like by being shown on T.V where you're from or is it something you have to find online or by other means?

In the theme of British childrens comedy I loved Dick and Dom in da bungalow growing up so much, I liked how cheeky and mad the whole show was and respected the energy and patience it took for them to film it live.

Posted

Have you ever seen Black Books? That one's my favourite, I've always thought I was some weird combination of Bernard Black and Patsy from ab fab. 

Posted

My boyfriend is more of a fan of Rik Mayall than me because he really enjoys anything 80's~ but I watched King Arthur's disasters too when I was younger. I suspect you're not British, but maybe you are. If you aren't I wonder if you watch most of the British shows you like by being shown on T.V where you're from or is it something you have to find online or by other means?

In the theme of British childrens comedy I loved Dick and Dom in da bungalow growing up so much, I liked how cheeky and mad the whole show was and respected the energy and patience it took for them to film it live.

Yesterday I watched the 80s film Electric Dreams and it was quite entertaining (I love a lot of 80s related things too) (it started when I would watch the old my little pony series and when I was into barbie and the rockers I later found jem and the holograms and many other shows)

(it also helped some of the kids shows I enjoyed started in the 80s (Postman Pat,Fireman Sam,Pingu,Mr Men,Dennis the Menace,Spot etc.)

I am British I'm from Northern Ireland technically but I'm part english 

some of the shows are on the Gold or Yesterday channel but others I've watched online (like the rik mayall related shows)

I loved Dick and Dom too as well the original Saturday night takeaway with Ant and Dec

Tracy Beaker,Trapped,Horrid Henry,Dani's House,My Parents are Aliens and Horrible Histories are some other childhood children comedies I liked

Have you ever seen Black Books? That one's my favourite, I've always thought I was some weird combination of Bernard Black and Patsy from ab fab. 

I've seen quotes and clips from it (based of what the nostalgia critic said and from my browsing of the VampireFreaks website (another site I'm on)

it's on my to watch list next to The IT crowd 

Posted

recently I've watched The IT Crowd,Black Books,Peep Show and the Inbetweeners

and I love them 

Posted

Ripping Yarns was pretty funny.

Posted

Has anyone watched Bad Education? It's a more modern one (be warned: the last season is trash).

Posted (edited)

OMG I l thank You so much for including, among many things, "The New Statesman" ! I have a thing for vintage fashion from the 80s, so the B'stards are kind of fashion icons for that :D Second, I am just interested on how they satirize politics there. I used to hang out with some polisci kids, and few of them acted kind of like Alan B'stard. It is almost terrifying how accurate Rik and other writers of the show gotten into his character :stoplz:

Edited by Veronica [email protected]

Posted (edited)

I also watched Monty Python but check out "Do Not Adjust Your Set". It is basically has Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones and David Jason.

Edited by Veronica [email protected]

Posted

I love George and Mildred, On the Buses and Queenie's Castle (the latter is mostly only known to Diana Dors fans).