• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Ruby Granger

85 posts in this topic

Posted

Ruby Granger

YouTube // Facebook // Instagram // askFM // Twitter // blog

Amazon author page // Goodreads author page

17134524.thumb.jpg.3ff8b042beaf984af4c43

Ruby Granger (name inspired by Hermoine Granger) is a seventeen year old YouTuber, (un)famous for her 10+ hour "study with me" videos and Hermoine Granger impressions. In 2017 her chanel got fairly popular getting to almost 100.000 subscribers on YouTube. Apart from extreme study sessions she has written a book and made videos about bullying.

Issues

Obsessive Studying:

She has multiple "study with me" videos where she studies more than 10 hours in a day, the longest is one 15h of studying in one day. On Christmas day 2017 she even recorded a video where she comlained that she didn't have enough time to study due to her relatives visiting.

Her study videos and her comments in those videos sometimes result in big backlashes from some people in her audience, causing huge debates between critics and whitekinghts, where Ruby usually doesn't reflect on her behaviour and always takes the side of the WKs and likes theri comments. She sometimes posts very defensive answers to people giving her critique.

Ruby seemingly doesn't do anything besides obsessive studying, working on things related to academics and reading. (OT: Besides her studying 10+ hours each day she managed to read 109 books in 2017) She generally doesn't seem have too many friends outside of her study friends circle and doesn't engage in other hobbies besides studying.

Dangerous perfectionism

Most of her audience consists of young impressionable teenagers, viewing Ruby as a role model. However Ruby has extremely high standards for herself as part of her strieving to be like fictional(!) Hermoine Granger, everything below perfection is unacceptable for her. So she often starts off her videos with apologising for extremely minor things like for wearing glasses, filming in an angle that is not perfect, not filming everything she has been doing throughout the day or not studying enough. Through this she puts a lot of pressure on herself and this attitude can too cause serious harm for her impressionable audience.

Problematic semi-authobigraphic book

Ruby has written a semi-authobigraphic book, titled "Erimentha Parker's To Do List: A Bullying Story". In a couple of videos and posts she vaguely talked about her experience as being bullied in school, thus people quickly connected the story of her book to her own struggles. However the book she created, has some very negative reviews, because the language used is very much a show-off of her extensive (but mostly misplaced) vocabulary and the main character is very unlikable and snobby, looks down on others (who don't study much) and is financially spoilt, thus the connection between the main character of her book and her own background only contributed people's opinion of her.

Amazon reviews of her book:

ruby_1.thumb.jpg.06b9143ed9192588a69ff8druby_3.thumb.jpg.484fd432f5617cecef197b2ruby_4.thumb.jpg.8d562f15be32d0f780384a9ruby_5.thumb.jpg.0e61939895bcfa7a5b22e03

Posted (edited)

Ah, Ruby! I started watching her videos last summer and I still don't know what to think about her.

She's a sweet girl, that's for sure and I would say the fact that she's such an anti-bullying advocate shows she has her heart in the right place.

However, her attitude when it comes to studying worries me, so I don't feel I can fully support her.

I am currently in university and to get in (and now keep up with all the things I have to do) I have always needed to be responsible and serious with my studies. That's why I can tell that studying 14 hours is not only not healthy, but probably won't be beneficial in a few years time. The brain is kinda like a muscle, and sure, you need to train it for it to work better; but, like muscles, it also needs to rest and has its limits. I remember last june, during finals, how mentally exhausted me and my classmates were and how I only wanted to sleep and 'turn off' my brain for a while. She's not in college yet, and maybe she will be able to keep on doing this her first year there, but I'm quite sure as things get harder, it will also get harder for her to spend 14 hours a day studying.

I'm also lowkey worried about her obsession over being 11-years-old Hermione. I love HP and I LOVE Hermione, she definitely was one of my influences as a child, but Ruby is 17. When you're a teenager I feel it's time to find yourself, discover what the world is about and, to some extent, experience new things (I mean, in the books/movies, Hermione grows up, relaxes a bit, dates boys and behaves and feels like a 15/16/17 year-old would). I don't think it is bad to look up to Hermione and be inspired by her to work hard and be kind, but I am not quite sure it is normal to behave exactly like book 1 Hermione would do at 17 😕

I think overall I can't not like Ruby cause she just seems naive to me, and to be honest, I prefer to hear about books and study marathons than to hear about 'that time when I got so high I was arrested' other YouTubers post about.

(I'm sorry for the rant AND I'm sorry if I made any mistakes, English is not my first language)

Edited by castleinthesky
Grammar oops

Posted

Aside from the defensive answers and problematic semi-autobiography book, this girl is what I strive to be tbh. Loves studying, hardworking, doesn't need sleep, perfectionist, adding to the fact that she  apologise to people for minimal things.Totally opposite from me.

My parents would have loved her. She really got quite the bright future ahead of her, they would say.

Posted (edited)

another studying youtuber made a video about unrealistic studying standers and I interpreted it as talking about ruby (because she kept mentioning 14 hour study videos):

she talked on her video about comparing herself in un healthy way because of these videos.

and she said on another video that she once tried to study for 14 hours and ended up vomiting and felt sick

she's a straight A+ student who got a chance for an interview in oxford just like ruby.

Aside from the defensive answers and problematic semi-autobiography book, this girl is what I strive to be tbh. Loves studying, hardworking, doesn't need sleep, perfectionist, adding to the fact that she  apologise to people for minimal things.Totally opposite from me.

My parents would have loved her. She really got quite the bright future ahead of her, they would say.

I don't really see her that way. of course she will success academically but other than that I see her lacking in so many ways.

like I remember once she asked on instagram for a book about autism, but any intelligent knowledgable person I know will understand that he cannot rely on instagram for that and will search for book recommendations by a therapist or a person diagnosed with autism.

She seems really childish to me. like a 9 year old child who has no idea of the world outside of her home because she spends time alone reading novels and doing homework. That kid is going to succeed but she still has a lot to learn.

Edited by over the rainbow

Posted (edited)

another studying youtuber made a video about unrealistic studying standers and I interpreted it as talking about ruby (because she kept mentioning 14 hour study videos):

she talked on her video about comparing herself in un healthy way because of these videos.

and she said on another video that she once tried to study for 14 hours and ended up vomiting and felt sick

she's a straight A+ student who got a chance for an interview in oxford just like ruby.

I don't really see her that way. of course she will success academically but other than that I see her lacking in so many ways.

like I remember once she asked on instagram for a book about autism, but any intelligent knowledgable person I know will understand that he cannot rely on instagram for that and will search for book recommendations by a therapist or a person diagnosed with autism.

She seems really childish to me. like a 9 year old child who has no idea of the world outside of her home because she spends time alone reading novels and doing homework. That kid is going to succeed but she still has a lot to learn.

I do like her, don’t get me wrong, but there are just too many problematic things about her. Yes it is nice to see someone filling their time with something useful instead of just showing off their looks, alcohol, drugs etc. but the way she approaches life is not healthy.

It seems like instead of aiming for the moon (being productive) she is aiming for Uranus (being extremely obsessive about studying and young Hermoine). On her askFM she once even said that her biggest fears are: “fear of failure and fear of wasting time”. There seems to be no balance in her life. I agree that she comes off very childish, as if she invested all the time people use to mature and make experiences in the outside world for studying instead. Bullying is shitty but sheltering yourself and cutting yourself off from people makes is even worse. And if she continues she will have a lot of problems once she finishes school and probably even more after university, when she sees the real world and real job conditions for the first time.

And what I see as another major problem in the future is that she has zero responsibilities, doesn’t have to cook for herself, doesn’t have to do chores, no work experience. 

Her “granger lifestyle” is just too much, there are other people on the internet with similar interests (Unjaded Jade, Ana Mascara, Revision with Eve) but they all seem to have a social life and also take brakes from studying. 

Edited by What's the point
added a paragraph

Posted

She isn't a really good role model to what to strive for. 14 hours of studying is extreme and not that many people can achieve that in given situations. People have other things to do in life such as work. As others said, she can be well suited academically, but she's still naive about the world around her. Being very good at one aspect of life yet neglecting the others can affect her life post education. 

It's one thing to study hours on end, and it's another to know how to study effectively and  with efficiency within a short amount of time. You need sleep or else your brain will eat itself. Apologizing for little things is kind of weird though. Things happen in life and you have to be flexible. Those little things don't really matter in the end compared to the big picture. 

It seems like instead of aiming for the moon (being productive) she is aiming for Uranus (being extremely obsessive about studying and young Hermoine). On her askFM she once even said that her biggest fears are: “fear of failure and fear of wasting time”. There seems to be no balance in her life. 

Wait I don't really get her logic. She fears failure yet what if she fails at something outside of studying considering she doesn't focus on other parts of life rather that just studying? 

I'm kind of worried about her well being though, cause she's 17 with that mindset of perfectionism. Things happen in life which can affect that mindset, will she be able to deal with it in a healthy way? 

Posted

It's kind of scary that her followers mention harry potter the way people mention religion, put jesus in place of hermione and it will sound exactly the same: 

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 12.33.55 AM.png

Posted

I think there needs to be some sort of disclaimer for those who watch Ruby's content that they shouldn't subscribe into the standard narrative of 14 hour study days in order to do well academically, because its usually quality over quantity -- study smart, not study hard. It's worrying to think that young girls viewing this content may come to criticise themselves for not being able to study just as much as Ruby because they have other commitments in life beyond studying. 

Posted

It's kind of scary that her followers mention harry potter the way people mention religion, put jesus in place of hermione and it will sound exactly the same: 

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 12.33.55 AM.png

"I agree that Jesus would probably consent..."

You are absolutely right, it sounds like a religion or a cult thinking. Everything (young) Hermione does is right, everything she doesn't do is wrong, no questioning or development whatsoever. :alpacaworry: She has to realise that Herione is a) a fictional character, not a real human and b) has shown development and isn't designed as the perfect human being.

Posted

The fact that she's fixated on Hermione isn't too bad my problem is her obsession with younger Hermione. Hermione in the firsts few book was annoying to me because of her attitude, and because she reminded me of someone I didn't like, and personally, I would not want to emulate that version of Hermione. As smart as she was she lacked social skills to properly convey her thoughts and feeling to others who may have been as smart as her or not and instead came off as bossy, somewhat arrogant and a know-it-all. She eventually grows and matures making which is a good thing, Ruby, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be doing that which is scary for someone who is 17.

Posted

She shouldn't be considered a role model because she's a damn kid. My parents -any parents probably- would LOVE a child like this and as long as she isn't harming herself I don't think it's very fair to call her a bad role model. We honestly shouldn't expect anything from a 17 year old in that department, which brings me to the book.. What do people expect from a middle class white 17 year old girl? It's almost bound to be bad just for these reasons alone. 

I hope she doesn't ruin herself like this though. Kids like her often end up as stuck up ignorant idiots because they lack human interaction and because they consider their studying "hard work". 

Posted

Has anyone watched her new video? Thoughts?

• She apparently had the delete and reupload because her cousin was wearing a shit with Trump and “build the wall” on it. 

• The presents are probably around $500 or more

Posted (edited)

The first thought that came to mind is that I absolutely love her accent😌 I wish mine was like hers!

As for the video itself, I've seen bits because it is quite long and it is 2am so I can't comment on much... I think all the presents combined are worth a lot of money but it seems to me that they come from many different people. If I remember correctly, she got something from her best friend's mum? So at least is not like her parents spent that much...

I don't know... I don't want to say she's spoiled because she seems quite grateful. May just be me though!

Edited by castleinthesky

Posted

Actually, I was surprised to see Ruby here. I've seen a video here and there of her, so I don't know much about her. But I think it's great she focusses on her studies so well. :) Really, people who games/watches series 15+ hours a day or someone who studies, well I know what I'd prefer!

Of course, her weeks won't be filled with 14 hours of studying a day, she mentions herself she doesn't do that all the time.

Study techniques differ for everyone. I cannot study with apps, like do 30 minutes of studying and then a break. I cannot focus. I usually work on something until I get hungry or until lunch and not work on a timer. For Ruby, she rather works for straight hours and it's exactly the same method as my boyfriend. Really, he's so concentrated and studies in one go - and sometimes doesn't stop for food x3

Not to brag, but he gets top grades and I do and we both use different methods to study. :)

Ruby seems really sweet and devoted. Like other comments, she indeed focusses on Book 1 Hermione, and it'd be great if Ruby grows along with Hermoine's character through age.

Posted

Ah man. I've lurked on this site for about a year now, but this made me want to sign up. Ruby's subs really skyrocketed, I watched her for a little while when she had less than 15k. I'm a year older than her, and I obsess over good grades too, so I relate to her, but she really takes it over the top. feel like school runs my life and I study maybe 1/4 of what she does.

Studying is good, and certainly better than going out and partying every night, but there's a limit. Even if she's not studying 14 hours every night – which she's not, of course – I just don't think it's healthy to do those long days at all unless you're cramming for a test or something. She, and people in her comments, defend her by saying that studying is a hobby. It's true, but it's at the point where it's too much of a good thing and is probably detrimental. I just can't see her as an adult with a career. What will she do when there are no more tests to take, no more grades to aspire to?

It sucks that her book flopped, she seemed like she was pretty proud of it...but the criticisms are valid. She seems quite innocent and sheltered. She could just be putting that on for the camera to emulate 11-year-old Hermione, but if she truly is that way then I have no doubt that her study habits contributed to it. Overall, she seems like a sweet girl and she's not "problematic" imo, but I wish somebody in her personal life would reach out to her and encourage her to spend more time away from studying.