• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Healthy quick breakfast idea's?

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone have some good ideas for a low cal healthy breakfast?

I used to eat müsli in the morning but I've been told that's not all that healthy?

Im trying to mose weight but Inamso have very little time to eat in the morning

Posted

I used to eat müsli in the morning but I've been told that's not all that healthy?

I wouldn’t say it’s not healthy, although it obviously depends on what kind you pick, but it sure has a ton of calories. It’s one of the few things I actually weigh/measure when I eat them. 1/2 cup of the one I eat has around 240 calories, so being a bit off can mean you eat a lot more than you planned. (The reason the one I eat is so high in calories are nuts and dried fruits, but I believe the average muesli sold is somewhere around there, at least where I live.)

Porrdige could be a good alternative I think and if you’re really that short on time you could make it in the microwave. When it comes to calories it depends a lot on the type of dairy products/toppings you use. I tend to go for coconut/almond milk and fruit and it’s  or too bad.

If I have more time I tend to go for omelettes. I think that depends a bit on whether you like savoury things in the morning though.

And if you want to stick with muesli, why not try it with some yogurt/dairy free alternative, fruit and measuring it? 

Posted

I try to look for one that is low in calories. I use almond milk with my muesli because I'm lactose intolerant. 

Maybe I could eat porridge again yes :) I used to eat it every morning for 3 years but maybe I like it more now cos I havent been eating it for a while.

Thank you for your help and Happy New Year :D 

Posted

Oh wow, 3 years of porridge do sound like it might get boring. :D I usually eat mine with fruits, but sometimes I prefer a savoury breakfast and actually ended up liking this quite a bit. Not sure how easy it is to replace all the dairy products though. I’m a bit tired of them atm but I also like frozen breakfast burritos (though I make mine with sweet potatoes), just because I tend to oversleep. Those or just toast (peanut butter/banana, or avocado/sprouts/seeds). It’s all very boring but fast. :alpacawink: 

Or you could try something like a Bircher Muesli, not necessarily fast, but just like those burritos you prepare it in advance - in this case the evening before.

Hope you have a great New Year too. 

Posted

Not sure what would you consider quick or low cal, but I like to have smashed avocado and toast if i have 6 minutes to prepare breakfast. To make:

1. toast 2 slices of low cal, whole grain bread for 3 minutes
  2. while toasting, smash half a small avocado with a fork until spreadable. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. 
  3. spread the avo mixture on each slice of toast

If you're on the go, you can simply just put the toast slices together and wrap it up to go. You can eat it as a toasted sandwich or separate it later (twist the toast slices and you should maintain an even coating)

In total, the calorie count should be less then 300, depending on the type of bread you have and how much avo you use. For me everything adds up to about 250-280 cals (2 slices of bread is under 150 for me, avocado spread is at most 120 cals)

You could also pre-prepare sandwiches by pre-slicing the tomato/lettuce the night before and then on the day you can just slap together a quick ham tomato/lettuce/cucumber sandwich in less than 2 minutes. 

If you have 10 minutes or more to prepare or even sit down and eat breakfast, I like to soft boil eggs (6 minutes) and have it with a slice of toast. I tend to eat 2 eggs which is about 70 cals each, and if you have it with a thick slice of toast the calorie count should hover about 260 cals as well. 

if you're sick of toast for breakfast (i will never be :P), I like to have oatmeal with fruits and honey or a microwaved quiche - just google it and youll find a tonne of recipes for it. 

Posted (edited)

if you want to keep yourself full for longer I would suggest whole wheat oatmeal banana pancakes. It's something a lot of people eat in the morning along with myself. most simple recipe in the world. You get a banana and smash it, add oatmeal and an egg  (I also add cinnamon and agave syrup) until the consistency is the way you want it to be, then just cook it in a pan. You can also mix blueberries if you want:)

Another thing I do is cook oatmeal and add an egg and mix it well together. I know you are trying to cut down on oatmeal but whole wheat oats are def more filling because of the fibres in them. It will also help your blood sugar stay stable. 

You can also try omelettes. I personally add one egg with yolk and 3 egg whites and mix together. you can add some low fat cheese and veggies to it. reason why I cut down on yolks is for the fat. It's good to have some fat but egg whites have a lot of protein in them which again will keep you full for longer.

Edited by gwiyomi

Posted (edited)

I've lost tons of weight in a really short time with a proper diet. I can share you my breakfast menu. I never eat breakfast but when I do it's one of these:

1. 1,5dl porridge/oatmeal with a bit of blue berries and natural yogurt. Sometimes I add cinnamon.

2. Natural yogurt with teaspoon of honey and a little cinnamon.

3. A banana. Or an apple.

I drink water with it.

Smoothie would be ideal but I don't have time to make it plus don't want to piss off my neighbors at 5 in the morning xD..

Edited by OhGee

Posted (edited)

There's these awesome banana oat pancakes that I make. I can dm you the recipe if you want.
It's recommended in a healthy diet to have the most carbs actually at breakfast time to break the fasting from when you were sleeping, and the least amount of carbs at dinner time. However, if you want low calorie breakfasts:

-Yogurt. Natural, without any sweeteners. I love Greek yogurt and adding fruit into it. (Greek yogurt is 100 calories per cup.)
-Eggs, with veggies in it or chicken if you're making an omlette. Great time to use leftovers from the night before. (70 calories per egg, veggies somewhere between 10-30, chicken can be about 50-100.)
-Asparagus with soft boiled eggs on toast. (140 for eggs [2], toast about 80 if whole wheat, asparagus about 3 per stalk.)
-Bagel with avacado. (245 whole wheat bagel, 23 tbsp of avocado)
-Poached eggs with mushrooms/tomatoes.
-Smoothies. (Anywhere between 100-300 calories for an 8oz drink depending on what you put in them.)
-Citrus salads. (Most fruits don't go about 50 calories per cup serving.)
-Oatmeal with yogurt/fruit. (About 260-300 calories.)

Edited by Coffee Creamer

Posted (edited)

Musli is fine, whoever told that to you doesn't understand what "healthy" means. of course there are healthier stuff that musli, but usually musli has added sugar so that's the "main" reason that it's not "supposedly" healthy. But as long as you don't eat too much of it (30g of musli) with yogurt/milk, its a decent breakfast. Yes, even with the added sugar.

If you still want something more healthier, then oatmeal, because it has a decent amount of protein, and you remain full for quite some time, you can add cranberries/raisins/nuts/cinnamon for more taste, you can eat it either with water/milk. I personally add a bit of brown sugar with milk and heat in the microwave, its simply not tasty for me without the sugar so I add some.

Its a fast, healthy and low calorie meal (no more than 300 calories)

Edited by Lazy

Posted

I like to have natural peanut or almond butter with whole wheat pita or whole wheat bread and a banana and some coffee. It is pretty quick and fairly healthy - as long as you do not go overboard on peanut butter. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by *

Posted

I havent checked this thread in a while sorry... >< but thanks everyone I’ll try some of your ideas and will decide later! 

Posted

I like to start my day with fruits... I always have a variety of them in the fridge. I just pick a mix that seems nice. Like bananas, strawberries and raspberries, or a khaki, a kiwi and a slice of honey melone. If I want to, I add a few nuts to the bowl of fruit. That's easy and fast and comes at around 350 kalories. I always have a coffee in the morning with some low-fat milk too. Or I have some low-carb bread, like protein bread for eg, and put a vegetable spread on it. A lot of them are vegetarian or vegan. Right now I like to have a whole-wheat spelt and green spelt bread, one huge slice is only 137 kalories, together with the spread it's only 200 kalories. I additionally have some fruit of choice. With that breakfast you get what you need  (vitamins, minerals) to start your day. If you feel like it, you can also cut and wash your fruit of choice on the evening before and put it in the fridge to make a nice smoothie with it the next day. Add a small can of coconut or half  cup of almond or oat milk or low fat butter milk, a spoon of honey or agaven syrup, mix it and you're done. If you're funny you can have some real fun with mixing your own smoothie, by trying to spice it with different things. I really like a smoothie with some honey melone, a banana, a bit of vanilla extraxt and half a cup of oat milk, some cinammon, and a bit of kurkuma. (Kurkuma is great because it has a lot of anti-inflammatory effects, good when you feel like you might caught a cold.) Or how about adding a spoon of coconut flakes, or flaxseeds (good when you have digestive problems of some kinds, but also good for your stomach in general), oat flakes (oat flakes are good because they contain a lot of iron, and we women need a lot of iron), or some normal cornflakes. 

So, that's what I eat/drink sometimes as well. But actually, I have found a musli by the brand Alnatura that doesn't have a lot of calories and makes you feel full. (Around 300 calories). Idk, I find 300 kalories to be totally acceptable for a breakfast, I mean really, you need something to get you going in the morning. 

Posted

Does anyone have some good ideas for a low cal healthy breakfast?

Im trying to mose weight but Inamso have very little time to eat in the morning

bowl of fruit ?

Posted

My father in law recently passed away, and our whole family went to get checked afterwards at the doctors office. (He had a heart attack) The doctor specifically told us all (even my sister-in-law who's 9) to eat oatmeal in the mornings. He said oatmeal is one of the healthiest breakfasts you can have (Real oatmeal, not instant with tons of added sugar) It's pretty easy to make and if its too bland you can add fruit. The doctor told me he has seen many success stories with people who have ate oatmeal in the mornings ...they ended up dramatically lowering their cholesterol with this one change. Maybe give it a try!!!