gray hairs

6 posts in this topic

Posted

i was wondering, is anybody else troubled with this? i'm 25 years old and i have A Lot of gray hair. and i'm not talking about one cute little hair every few weeks but something along the lines of this. i dye my hair to cover it up since they're painfully visible thanks to my really dark hair. it doesn't seem to run in the family as my mom started graying at a rather late age (~35 or so) - i'm not sure whether i got it from my dad's side though?

it's been like this for years and it didn't bother me because well, i can dye it. but now i'm starting to worry that it might get even worse by the time i hit 30. i'm already the oldest person in my class (long story short, i've been a bum for a few years so now i'm finally getting a high school diploma and i will go to college next year in fall). it's starting to make me feel old.. :alpacadone:

Posted

A couple of my friends and some women in my family have gone grey pretty early; my aunt started getting lots of grey hair in her early twenties as well. However, they just dyed and still dye their hair. I've always heard stress and lifestyle can affect how early you go grey but I'm not sure how truthful it is. But, don't let it bother you! It's a natural thing and consider it an excuse to try out hair colors you like. :alpacacrush:

If blonde hair or blonde highlights suit you, you could consider doing something like that if you don't want to dye as often. One of my friends does that to blend her grey into her darker colored hair.

ps. I was also a bum for a couple of years in college and I'm finally getting back into it so I feel you on the whole feeling older than everyone thing.

Posted

it's relieving to know that other people have the same problem! usually i don't mind, but since i got back to school, my (much younger) classmates started to ask me what was up with that.. most of them don't want to point it out but there have been a handful of classmates who were like "do you have gray hairs already?? i hope i won't end up like you!!!" so i'm like.. "ah.. it's that bad, huh......" :alpacasad:

i used to be in a class with other older people who went back to school, but for my final year they basically threw kids and adults together, so it's a very.. interesting mix of people.. some of them are really sweet, while others behave like they're still in the worst phase of puberty. orz then again, it's my own fault for wasting years of my life with being unemployed, lol. i should be grateful that i'm even getting the chance to make up for past mistakes.

Posted

Personally I first noticed grey hairs at like 14, it's slightly less visible as the picture you linked however. A mean boy would call me "the girl with the grey hair" at school because of it even though the person had spent one hour each morning for two years with me as part of school instead of referring to me as my name. I'm 21 now and it's a little more prevalant at this point.

I have dark brown hair and I recognise them, others do too and it sometimes make me feel horrible but sometimes I kind of forget about it until I look in a mirror. Some are similar to my other hair but others are coarse and wire-like, I just yank these ones out when I feel bad.:alpacasad:

Like you my learning was stunted for a while, I did graduate highschool but that was after having to be homeschooled for the last year because of anxiety and stress. I didn't do as well as I could have. I took a couple of years afterwards not really doing anything but wallowing and feeling sorry for myself. I eventually took a risk of going to college for art as I was still on the cusp of being able to get free education. I did alright but past problems caught up again and I dropped out about 4 months till graduating. I still earned part of my qualifications for this though. I was the oldest in my class too but I felt like everyone had much more personal growth and confidence in themselves than I did.

Same as @xingsus mentioned, people say stress can cause it and if so I think that would explain it for me.

I'm sorry others made you feel bad because of your grey hairs and acted a little insensitive. I know you mentioned you're worried about it getting worse but for me I'd much rather to be blessed with something as beautiful as what Anna from Frozen has with the streak of white or even Daenerys with her full silver hair than this mix of random grey I have as now. I'd like for it to be collected to one area or completely spread. I had a science teacher who had a streak similar to Anna that first appeared when he was 6-7 years old and I thought it looked really pretty.:alpacacrush:

greyandsilver.thumb.png.73a9325bca655be2

Sorry for babbling! I liked reading your post and hope you can put aside the worries. Good luck with your education I'm sure you're doing well and will certainly make up for lost time.

Posted

I started developing grey hairs around the time high school started. My stress management and well-being were going downhill, but growing up in an Asian household the concept of "mental health" were not in my parents' dictionary. Both parents developed grey hairs in their 40s and thought I was lacking nutrition in my relatively healthy diet so they fed me.. a lot of weird super healthy stuff that you would see on magazines. Quinoas, kale, chia seeds, etc. Didn't make a dent in trying to resolve the issue so my parents gave up. 

Currently 19, college made things worse so now every hair partings you make on my scalp you'll see 3 or 4 strands of grey hairs. Sometimes you'll find a strand of hair that had a "phase" where a section of the strand is grey. I try not to think about it too much even though my hair is jet black, but back in high school, classmates who sat behind me would comment on my grey hairs and even asked if they can pull it out(?) People are weird and rude lol.

Posted

i was wondering, is anybody else troubled with this? i'm 25 years old and i have A Lot of gray hair. and i'm not talking about one cute little hair every few weeks but something along the lines of this. i dye my hair to cover it up since they're painfully visible thanks to my really dark hair. it doesn't seem to run in the family as my mom started graying at a rather late age (~35 or so) - i'm not sure whether i got it from my dad's side though?

it's been like this for years and it didn't bother me because well, i can dye it. but now i'm starting to worry that it might get even worse by the time i hit 30. i'm already the oldest person in my class (long story short, i've been a bum for a few years so now i'm finally getting a high school diploma and i will go to college next year in fall). it's starting to make me feel old.. :alpacadone:

im 25 too and i noticed a couple of grey hairs here and there too

i am not bothered by it at all, god knows what caused it
either family related or stress lol

I don't think it should be a problem in this day and age because super young girls actually dye their hair grey nowadays because it looks silver like or whatever and it is awesome so....