• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to a different country

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm 20 going on 21 and I'll be moving out of my parent's house and moving to a different country for school next year. I was wondering if any of you have been through a similar situation and if you have any advice on how to prepare for such a big move. If it helps I'll be moving to Japan and I'm applying for schools in Tokyo.

Thanks in advance :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

Now I was not in Japan and it obviously depends a lot on your situation (when I was in university my parents basically covered all my expenses, so I was lucky in that regard). But I have three main things I’d give as “advice”. 

1) Pack light. Once you go beyond what you can easily take with you on your flight, it is often cheaper to buy new stuff than to send it over. That being said, I mostly packed clothes for the current season, sentimental stuff I felt like I needed to have to feel at home and a few things I knew would be hard to get (ranging from my preferred brand of body lotion -because I’m a freak and it wasn’t sold where I moved- to more important things like my medication). 

2) Try to get into some dorm or student accomodation at least for 6 months or a year. Not everyone will agree on this I guess and I don’t really love shared spaces like this either and never did it at university in my home country. However, I really feel like it helped me making new friends abroad. Without your family and friends it’s still easy to feel lonely at times, no reason to make it any harder for you to meet new people than necessary. Also I met the friend with whom I later shared a flat there. If it’s a place where living alone is just too expensive, at least knowing whom you’ll be living with is kind of awesome. Also you’ll have a much better idea of which location you’d want to live in etc after you’ve been there for a while. Looking for a place to stay in general is so much easier if you’re actually there in person.

3) Plan to spend a lot of cash initially. One example: when I moved I was severely limited by which places would actually accept a foreign tenant and I had to pay a ridiculous security deposit and rent for 3 months in advance. Not saying everyone is that unlucky (and it depends on where you move) but it’s always good to be prepared for unexpected costs. 

Posted

I'm all nervous! I'll be moving to Europe too soon and stay there maybe for the rest of my life because I'm getting married soon. do you have any advice? I feel homesick already lol

I think it's exciting to live in Japan! I've never been there but I have a few friend who moved  to Japan. some are still staying there, working, but mostly decided to leave Japan and back to their home country. I remember one day my friend called me, complaining about how exhausted he was. he rent a cheap  (but clean and nice) apartment in kanagawa, going to school while doing arubaito. he yelled " it's killing meeeeeeee!" and like he barely walk the next day because his body are just RIP , lol. He worked for 6 hours, daily, standing (not allowed to sit) as a server in a coffee shop, and then go to school, and go back to apartment, work on homework, leaving him only 3 to 4 hours sleeping.  He made $ 2.000 / month and was able to live and still a bit money.

Posted

I moved to Korea all by myself, (i already had a few friends here so wasnt feeling too lonely though) my advice is to pack light since youre more likely to buy hella clothes there (its real tempting), i also suggest you get a pocket wifi when you intially get there because maybe it might take awhile for you to get a phone number (in my case i had to make a korean alien ID card in order to register for a plan) and the first few days you wont know where the hell you are and most likely will get lost without google maps (i made this mistake lol). 

Once you are familiar with your surrounding then you should start making friends. When i first got to Korea i was using Tinder like every minute lol, literally went out with a new guy every day for 2 weeks straight coz free food, free alcohol and free tour of seoul why not lol. But if that aint your thing then Meet Ups and Hello Talk is a good way to make friends too :) 

Posted

Hey guys i have a question ,i plan to move to europe (not now is long term goal) and i want to know how is like to get a job in there? i don't have a degree in anything but i'm currently studying english and my teacher told me that the degree that they give me at the end of the course it can be used to teach in another country (i will be speaking two languages) 
plus i'm asking this bc in the case that you tell me that i need a degree (in anything) to get a good job in there i can start studying something