• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Kim Jonghyun (SHINee)

99 posts in this topic

Posted

Today a Korean artist by the name of Kim  Jonghyun committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning. It was a rumour at first, with many people not believing it but his agency just recently comfirmed it.

I know this is a really bad way to start a thread, but I feel there needs to be a place here for the fans who knew of him.

Many artists including Yoogeun (Hello baby baby) and Nine9 (Dear Cloud), his good friend have also spoken about it.

FB_IMG_1513604489237.jpg

FB_IMG_1513614138537.jpg

FB_IMG_1513615304473.jpg

e5bbd121201e52ebaeb616a0a34ce8ee--november-korean-idols.jpg

superthumb-1.jpg

shinee-jonghyun.jpg

img_2113.jpg

Posted

This is all so shocking i still can't believe it

I wasn't a huge fan or anything but I knew him cause who doesn't know Shinee?!

I hope this doesn't affect his members too much, especially Onew and Key:alpacaworry:

R.I.P you will always remain in our hearts Kim Jonghyun:alpacaworry2:

Posted (edited)

It  keep getting sadder i just read this 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/12/hello-babys-yoogeun-in-deep-shock-cried-himself-to-sleep-after-hearing-about-jonghyuns-death

Its so sad he had to find out this way at such a young age

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/12/dear-clouds-nine9-reveals-jonghyuns-parting-letter-as-requested-by-jonghyun-himself  Jonghyun note left after his suicide 

I feel bad for SHINee and Jonghyun family mostly his sister seeing how it was her who found him unconsious. Its just sad situation overall

R.I.P Jonghyun.

This is all so shocking i still can't believe it

I wasn't a huge fan or anything but I knew him cause who doesn't know Shinee?!

I hope this doesn't affect his members too much, especially Onew and Key:alpacaworry:

R.I.P you will always remain in our hearts Kim Jonghyun:alpacaworry2:

Espically Owew seeing how he just got out of rehab for a drinking problem. Im more worried about it affecting Key or Taemin(seeing how he is younger than the other members) 

Edited by Fairyduster

Posted

When I heard about this, I was really shocked...I am not a SHINEE fan, though I did like some of their songs & I mean, they're iconic in kpop. However, breaks my heart to know that he endured through so much, especially after learning that he was such a kind and selfless person. He  openly supported LGBTQ individuals, spoke about happiness and depression...a real philanthropist. :alpacasad: He had a good heart. R.I.P, Kim Jonghyun. :alpacaworry2::alpacaworry2:

Posted

I was so sad to hear this cause SHINee was the first Korean band to get into when I first started listening to K-pop more. I hope his family and his friends pull through, my thoughts are with them

Posted

Same here, I was once a huge fan so it was all so shocking to me, I couldn't sleep well after receiving the news. I even thought it was a prank when I first read the headline. I didn't felt much when the singer from Linkin Park died but this news hit me so hard and especially because I'm almost the same age as him, it felt more relatable. I haven't keep myself updated with SHINEE, I didn't know he was composing songs about depression. I agree, I wish more countries will take mental health more seriously. I am also struggling with my mental health at times but I still have to go about with my daily routine when sometimes I just wish I can take a break. 

Posted

i’m a fan of shinee and was a huge one back then. two years ago i got to see them live with a close friend and it was by far one if the most exciting and positive events i’ve been to. i love you jonghyun. there isn’t much you can say or i can say about this event. i wish all is well with his family, friends, and fans. my heart hurts.

Posted

It was a really good idea to start this topic, thank you.

Although I wasn't a hardcore fan, I enjoyed SHINee for their dancing/choreography and had a soft spot for Jonghyun. I'm glad that his family and friends will atleast see the love for him that's outpouring. I know that there will be a huge amount of people who are heartbroken over this news and I feel terrible for them to lose an important person even if they're just a fan.

It's such a shame that depression can make somebody who has loving family, friends and fans feel so alone. :(

You did work hard, goodbye Jonghyun.:alpacasad:

Posted

I could literally write an entire essay about how much SHINee and Jonghyun mean to me and what role their music played in my life. They were a huge part of my childhood and my teenage days so all of this feels absolutely surreal - even though many hours have already passed since reading the first reports.

I've been awake for almost 24 hours now, my eyes are literally burning from all the crying and I honestly don't know how I'm gonna survive the last few days of university before christmas break. I've had the luck of never having to experience death in real life but I think I now know how terrible it really is and I can absolutely not imagine how devastating it must be for the other members, the staff that has worked for and with him for so many years, his labelmates and other people in the entertainment industry, his friends and especially his family.

Listening to SHINee's and Jonghyun's music will definitely never feel the same anymore but what truly matters in my opinion are the good memories people associate when listening to their music. K-Pop wouldn't be the same without them.

Rest In Peace, Kim Jonghyun. I'll miss you.

Posted

You know I think JongHyun will be one of those artists who will continue to be looked up to even after his death. His work will continue to live on and hopefully people in Korea will start to take mental illness more seriously and start to finally have a discussion about this

Posted

I'm not a huge kpop fan but SHINee and BigBang where the two bands I really loved, and between this and T.O.P's drug overdose earlier this year....it literally makes me despise the kpop "industry". They treat their stars like shit. Work them like machines. So many kpop stars must be feeling the same as they did. And I can see this leading to more suicides, either other stars or the hardcore saesang fans. I hope it doesn't. 

last night I read about people coming forward talking about mental illness in Korea and South and East Asia in general and it was so disheartening...and right after that I read his goodbye letter and I think the "why can't I at least and it the way I want to" really hit me...I wasn't a huge fan but I think Lucifer was the first kpop song I ever heard back then...he was also my age which for whatever reason makes me feel worse...I hate so much that mental illness isn't taken seriously for what it is - a fucking ILLNESS...i hope at least now he's at peace.

As for T.O.P., his apology also feels so bad like, he tried to kill himself and is now feeling ashamed and apologizing for it? like, baby no, you should think about yourself for a change, god, i wish they could all know how many people love them and care tbh...

and also, how many more young people have to lose their lives for this shit to be taken seriously? 

Posted (edited)

When I first heard the news, I was both shocked and saddened. I was a big SHINee fan back when they first debuted.

Anyway, I could relate to Jonghyun because I also have anxiety, depression, as well as suicidal thoughts, so I understand the state of feeling hopeless and always being worried about not being “good enough” for everything or everybody. He tried getting help, but the doctors told him that he shouldn’t have a reason to feel depressed. This reminded me of a video I saw about a girl streamer who said she didn’t understand depression and basically called anyone who was depressed idiots because they weren’t grateful for what they had. I felt insulted and angry, because this is not depression. Depression doesn’t mean you’re sad because you don’t have the things you want; you can be rich and beautiful and still be depressed. Hell, you can have the whole world and still have crippling depression. 

Some people think you can just turn it on and off as it’s a light switch, but you can’t control it. Sometimes, you don’t know what’s even powering it. Depression is more like a journey for happiness and self-acceptance, but it’s difficult because it’s affecting your health by slowly eating you away in your thoughts.

Jonghyun felt like he could no longer suffer, so he did what he thought was best for himself. I wish there could have been other ways to save him and to help him, but if there’s something that South Korea lacks, it’s suicidal awareness and the understanding of depression. I tried explaining the concept to my Korean boyfriend’s parents, but they still did not understand. And so, I hope this will open up more awareness about how mental health is serious and how South Korea can have harsh and strict standards that can affect the lives of their beloved country...

Rest In Peace, Kim Jonghyun. You were a great human-being and an outstanding artist. You will be missed and forever loved in our hearts.  

If you or a loved one is experiencing depression, self-harm, or have suicidal thoughts, please seek help immediately. Here is a list of your country’s hotlines. For the U.S., visit our national suicide prevention lifeline site for more info. 

If you do not feel comfortable talking to a stranger, try talking to someone you trust/love. 

If they do not feel comfortable talking with a stranger, try to talk or hear hem out. It’s important to be present and show how much you care.

Even the smallest things can help save a person’s life.

Edited by Akira

Posted

I was a big fan of shinee a few years ago, jonghyun was my bias. I’m not that into kpop anymore, but hearing this news made me feel a weird emptiness. it just doesn’t feel real.

i also suffer from depression so i know how terrible it can be. i know what it’s like to feel so alone and like you’d rather not be alive. jonghyun, you fought well. i hope that wherever he is, he’s found the happiness he’s always yearned for.