• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

8603 posts in this topic

Posted

I guess this is a little off topic but why do some companies reject deals for their idols that would really expose them to more of the public? I heard that exo had an opportunity for a YouTube red series and that Kai had been offered deals with Fenty? I don’t understand the logic for declining things like that? There are probably more examples I’ve heard but I can’t remember them right now 

Posted

I feel like it's because almost everything about them is like, an amalgamation of what's supposed to be popular in K-pop right now. Trap music where the chorus is instrumental + shouting something in English. Flashy "designer" clothing. Badass "girl crush" posing/glaring at the camera and motorcycles. CGI backgrounds. I don't really know what stands out about Everglow aside from them just seeming to follow the most profitable trends in K-pop.

I feel like every other popular group has something unique about them. Twice has grown from a cute girly concept to a rich/elegant mature vibe. Red Velvet has a lot of quirky and experimental music and MV's. Mamamoo focuses on power ballads. Even Itzy does the girl crush concept too, but I feel that they focus more on a house sound rather than trap which is kind of unique rn. But what stands out about Everglow? I'm not really sure yet. 

This. I've been saying this in my mind but I thought I was the only one who thought that. And tbh...I don't think they're filling BP's void either and necessarily "bringing better," because if anything...they're falling into similar issues past groups, including BP, have had (faulty line distribution, becomming "____ & friends," similar sounding songs, alleged western song plagiarism, etc). Their saving grace is that they're still rookies so they have time to do better and that's fine. But if YueHua continues this pattern....then what--? 

Also

More than one cute group can exist

More than one sexy group can exist

More than one hip-hop boy group can exist

More than one ballad group can exist

More than one girl crush group can exist

More than one dark concept group can exist

More than one mature group can exist

More than one duality concept group can exist

More than one rock band group can exist 

More than one magic inspired group can exist

Posted

Pentagon comeback Dr. Bebe (?lol ok)

Thoughts?

Heavily inspired by exo. I like it though. The part where they whipped out the wheelchair out of nowhere had me 🤔 raising my eyebrows but whatever.

Posted

Pentagon comeback Dr. Bebe (?lol ok)

Thoughts?

Heavily inspired by exo. I like it though. The part where they whipped out the wheelchair out of nowhere had me 🤔 raising my eyebrows but whatever.

It's a good song! I thought it was going to be another noise, EDM comeback because of the concept but it's actually nice. (E')Dawn would've fit this comeback perfectly but I don't see the Exo influence. It sounds more like Limitless by NCT to me but maybe that's because I'm not familiar with their older comebacks. I see more VIXX and BTS in visuals but anyway. I don't think using a wheelchair is that bad, to be honest. People use them in many different situations and it's not like it's just specifically used for psychological things, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Posted

Cherry Bullet is also going back in a Girl Crush concept due to the demand of the general public. Can they just stick to their concept?!

Yeah the cute concept totally made them stand out! This song just kinda blends in with the other songs coming out. Its not bad, but its nothing special.

Im genuinely sad because with their cute concept I felt they had the potential to be like the next Twice/ Girls Generation type of group.

Posted

Yeah the cute concept totally made them stand out! This song just kinda blends in with the other songs coming out. Its not bad, but its nothing special.

Im genuinely sad because with their cute concept I felt they had the potential to be like the next Twice/ Girls Generation type of group.

True

Posted

I wasn't super excited about Cherry Bullet's comeback either and I feel like it's bad news for the group.

It's sad to say but I feel that people's attention spans for K-pop groups is really short. If a group that's been established for a long time, like Red Velvet, releases a song that kind of flops once in a while, it's fine because they have years of fans who still love them. A lot of people hated Zimzalabim but RV is such an influential group that I don't really feel it harmed them that much. 

On the other hand, I feel like for a rookie group's maybe first 3 comebacks, every comeback is super important. Like a lot of other people, I liked Q&A - it was a super fun and unique song and had a fun concept. I was looking forward to following Cherry Bullet. Really Really was... fine. Neither good nor bad for me. Same thing for Hands Up. They're both alright. I'm probably never going to go out of my way to listen to either again. This is on top of them losing 3 members within the first year. So I'm probably not going to go out of my way to become a Cherry Bullet stan, unless they release something really good next time. Tbh, I probably won't even listen to their next comeback unless I hear amazing things about it. 

It sucks but that's the thing about K-pop. There's sooo many comebacks and debuts coming out every week, that unless a group either does something new or delivers on more common formulas in an outstanding way, that people will just move on to the next option. Half of these girl groups that are coming out look and sound exactly the same to me. We really need more experimentation in K-pop right now. 

Posted

I guess this is a little off topic but why do some companies reject deals for their idols that would really expose them to more of the public? I heard that exo had an opportunity for a YouTube red series and that Kai had been offered deals with Fenty? I don’t understand the logic for declining things like that? There are probably more examples I’ve heard but I can’t remember them right now 

SM wants their fandom to go to NCT, accepting that stuff their fandom will just grow, they don't want that (This is why they shoved Taemin, Baek and Kai in SuperM) 

Cherry Bullet's comeback is a bop.

Posted

If I am the only one who is excited to IZ*ONE's comeback, like their MV teaser is so colorful.

Posted

If I am the only one who is excited to IZ*ONE's comeback, like their MV teaser is so colorful.

iz*one title’s are mostly house which is just my type ugh

bro kard’s new song is such a banger, another drunk anthem for me 🤪

Posted

Really feelin' KARD's comeback and new album and hope they have success this comeback! 

Posted

I don't remember Fenty saying they'd offered anyone anything.. When they announced the Korea move or when fans saw Asians in Rihs ads exols tagged Fenty a billion times and their social media manager said we see your tags.. Kai then told fans they had that they were signed to Nature Republic..

Everyone has their own marketing plans, some companies are more flexible than others, Korean agencies don't seem that flexible to me.. 

Posted

i feel like part of the reason why kpop is doing well rn is because western mainstream pop is not doing well. 

thats why im confused as to why bighit would want to keep on working with western producers/songwriters; how do they not see that MOTS:P was filled with Ed Sheeran rejects. 

Posted (edited)

I don't remember Fenty saying they'd offered anyone anything.. When they announced the Korea move or when fans saw Asians in Rihs ads exols tagged Fenty a billion times and their social media manager said we see your tags.. Kai then told fans they had that they were signed to Nature Republic..

Everyone has their own marketing plans, some companies are more flexible than others, Korean agencies don't seem that flexible to me.. 

nah, fenty did reach out to kai after being spammed by exols.

https://twitter.com/fentybeauty/status/1033092533683773441?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1033092533683773441&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fteenage.com.sg%2Fentertainment%2Ffentyxkai-collaboration%2F

companies may not be flexible, i agree but for a while now sm have been straight up biased against exo. they declined the deal with yt red, but guess who has the deal now? suju.

Edited by pepe

Posted

i feel like part of the reason why kpop is doing well rn is because western mainstream pop is not doing well. 

thats why im confused as to why bighit would want to keep on working with western producers/songwriters; how do they not see that MOTS:P was filled with Ed Sheeran rejects. 

hit the nail on the head with this one imo

i feel like trying to suck up to the west is gonna be the downfall of kpop lol i started listening to it because it used to remind me of old school pop, not whatever weird combo of genres the US is pumping out now 🤷‍♀️