• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

8679 posts in this topic

Posted

Some of these fans out here are only fans of certain groups to put down a rival group in a similar category. But no one's ready for that conversation. 

Posted

Yeah we all know that nothing is truly "real" in k-pop, but there's something about Everglow that feels especially manufactured. 

I feel like it's because almost everything about them is like, an amalgamation of what's supposed to be popular in K-pop right now. Trap music where the chorus is instrumental + shouting something in English. Flashy "designer" clothing. Badass "girl crush" posing/glaring at the camera and motorcycles. CGI backgrounds. I don't really know what stands out about Everglow aside from them just seeming to follow the most profitable trends in K-pop.

I feel like every other popular group has something unique about them. Twice has grown from a cute girly concept to a rich/elegant mature vibe. Red Velvet has a lot of quirky and experimental music and MV's. Mamamoo focuses on power ballads. Even Itzy does the girl crush concept too, but I feel that they focus more on a house sound rather than trap which is kind of unique rn. But what stands out about Everglow? I'm not really sure yet. 

Posted (edited)

so what was bad... definitely falls short against crossroads or even dun dun  

I feel like it's because almost everything about them is like, an amalgamation of what's supposed to be popular in K-pop right now. Trap music where the chorus is instrumental + shouting something in English. Flashy "designer" clothing. Badass "girl crush" posing/glaring at the camera and motorcycles. CGI backgrounds. I don't really know what stands out about Everglow aside from them just seeming to follow the most profitable trends in K-pop.

I feel like every other popular group has something unique about them. Twice has grown from a cute girly concept to a rich/elegant mature vibe. Red Velvet has a lot of quirky and experimental music and MV's. Mamamoo focuses on power ballads. Even Itzy does the girl crush concept too, but I feel that they focus more on a house sound rather than trap which is kind of unique rn. But what stands out about Everglow? I'm not really sure yet. 

they are filling bp’s void, which is good because everglow brings more to the table than bp

Edited by sucroster
word

Posted (edited)

i was so disappointed with loona's comeback. hi high remains their best title track AND album. all 3 b sides on # sound so similar it is such a downgrade from ++ where every song had a unique sound and style. like other people in the thread have already mentioned, it literally sounds like an itzy song but worse. i also hate the styling, olivia and yves look greasy... i don't see how that is girl crush at all.

while i'm here i'll say butterfly was extremely overrated as well, i HATE the prechorus where theres that member singing WINGS WINGS in a really high voice. i think that hi high was totally overlooked because fans can't handle a cute concept; but it suited them so well. 

one thing that was top notch about all of their releases was the videography, i honestly think their company should just stick to directing music videos. 

also can i ask why mia is getting pushed so hard by yuehua? she's not exceptionally pretty (sihyeon is MUCH better looking especially according to korean standards) and her voice is forgettable. some are comparing eg to 4minute but at least hyuna had this ~vibe~ where she really stood out from the group. i was getting pissed seeing and hearing mia every 5 seconds in dun dun. 

Edited by xuanyi

Posted

so i've seen people in here talk about queendom back when it was getting aired and i didn't really care for the show bc i wasnt much of a fan of the groups they talked about on here

but DAMN after HIP i've got quite the interest in MMM, same with idle after watching some (really good) performances.

now a bitch is watching queendom, thanks yall

Posted

Cherry Bullet is also going back in a Girl Crush concept due to the demand of the general public. Can they just stick to their concept?!

Posted

Rocket Punch is the most boring group ever 💤. Their new comeback is another itzy copy. Maybe the "teencrush" concept is going to be the new trend in the future instead of girlcrush. Don't know how to feel about that. 

Posted

Today Heechul completes zero days without mentioning momo. His record is 1 day. 

Posted

heechul and momo are both adults that can date and yada yada but that doesnt stop me from thinking hes only dating her to fulfill his weeboo fantasy/fetish

i dont know newer groups but all the girls that are/were constantly raved about for being pretty are so plain jane and boring looking: yoona, suzy, iu, naeun, seolhyun, irene, tzuyu.

Posted (edited)

i dont know newer groups but all the girls that are/were constantly raved about for being pretty are so plain jane and boring looking: yoona, suzy, iu, naeun, seolhyun, irene, tzuyu.

I guess Korea just has a very different beauty standard than the west. I feel like there's one specific face they have that's considered beautiful in Korea: V-shaped jaw. Tall nose. Big eyes with double eyelids. White skin. "Small" face. If you check off all of those boxes, congrats, you are the group "visual." If you are too far from any of those features, like you have a nice strong jaw, you will probably have to get plastic surgery to fix it before you debut. 

I'm not going to argue that the west doesn't have its own specific beauty standards, but I feel like the average person in the west has a wider range of what's considered beautiful, maybe since the west tends to be more of a cultural melting pot than Korea. If someone has odd facial features but it fits together in an appealing way, they'll still often be considered beautiful in western media. For example, Benedict Cumberbatch is weird looking as hell but there's still something about him that plenty of people find charming and beautiful. 

I have to agree with you that all those "visuals" would seem kind of boring in the west, or at least to me. Yes, they are very pretty, but also have the kind of face that I would forget after 5 minutes. There's nothing about them that really pops out to me because they were all selected for fitting the exact standard I described earlier. I would rather look at idols who have a unique look. For example, in Twice, Nayeon's cute chubby cheeks and "bunny teeth," or Jihyo's round face and (used to be) thicc figure.

(PS I hope no one takes this as an insult of the visuals. They look nice but I just like people with a unique look.)

Edited by caterpillars

Posted

Soooo i finally listen to Loona's "so what" and.. The whole song was so messy and all over the place its like a  megamix kinda thing 😂😂

Posted

Lisa: *says she doesnt like getting called oppa*

Her fans: lIsA oPpA

You all are dumb asf

same shit happened to hani, irks me to no end

I guess she used to not have the most stage presence but now she shines out to me the most in every performance..... also she has no “”unique”” quirk like the rest to bait a certain group of people to stan her hard. She deserves 100% better honestly... from her company and the fandom 

She's the prettiest to me tbh, gives me actress vibes. And she's so talented. Always liked her the most.

Posted

I guess Korea just has a very different beauty standard than the west. I feel like there's one specific face they have that's considered beautiful in Korea: V-shaped jaw. Tall nose. Big eyes with double eyelids. White skin. "Small" face. If you check off all of those boxes, congrats, you are the group "visual." If you are too far from any of those features, like you have a nice strong jaw, you will probably have to get plastic surgery to fix it before you debut. 

I'm not going to argue that the west doesn't have its own specific beauty standards, but I feel like the average person in the west has a wider range of what's considered beautiful, maybe since the west tends to be more of a cultural melting pot than Korea. If someone has odd facial features but it fits together in an appealing way, they'll still often be considered beautiful in western media. For example, Benedict Cumberbatch is weird looking as hell but there's still something about him that plenty of people find charming and beautiful. 

I have to agree with you that all those "visuals" would seem kind of boring in the west, or at least to me. Yes, they are very pretty, but also have the kind of face that I would forget after 5 minutes. There's nothing about them that really pops out to me because they were all selected for fitting the exact standard I described earlier. I would rather look at idols who have a unique look. For example, in Twice, Nayeon's cute chubby cheeks and "bunny teeth," or Jihyo's round face and (used to be) thicc figure.

(PS I hope no one takes this as an insult of the visuals. They look nice but I just like people with a unique look.)

The thing to me that I find so pretty about them (on the fence about yoona cos alway just found her cute) is that they were plain, like someone you'd pass by in the street every day or the nice girl who lived next door. 
I'm all for just embracing that everyone has their own appeals tho. Like we're all gonna have people we find super pretty that other people just go 'really? them when xxx is there?'

Posted (edited)

not in the mood for a fight lol

Edited by pepe

Posted

Rocket Punch is the most boring group ever 💤. Their new comeback is another itzy copy. Maybe the "teencrush" concept is going to be the new trend in the future instead of girlcrush. Don't know how to feel about that. 

I just listened to it now and I actually don't find it that bad. It's a cute song and the beat is more pleasant than any of Itzy's comebacks so far but I definitely see what you mean. I don't get why smaller companies think that's such a good idea.  Itzy got a lot of mixed opinions about their music and they still do so it's not like it's a safe concept. It's just successful because they have JYP behind it. I know that nothing is original now in Kpop because it's up to its 4th generation but I'm honestly sick of seeing either Itzy copies or Blackpink copies. Depending on the group. It's blatantly obvious and it's not like those groups have already disbanded and left. Where are all the Red Velvet and Twice copies?? At least that brings something new to the table...