• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

8602 posts in this topic

Posted

This is just my opinion but I feel like for the most part female K-pop fans are more loyal than male ones. Female fans won't abandon their idol for getting older, for getting a boyfriend, for gaining a little weight, for trying a new concept, etc. as quickly as male fans will.

I'm sure there's really loyal male K-pop fans but I feel like a lot of the guys I know who are into K-pop just want to look at hot young women and as soon as a new and younger group comes along they abandon the past group. 

I assume you mean female fans of girl groups....I do think female fans may be more loyal, simply because it seems like the majority of kpop fans are female, but with boy groups, I do not think this would not be the same.

Posted

Honestly think Joy has a very nice and unique vocal tone and she gets me into songs I would otherwise not listen to. She’s nasal but a pleasant sounding nasal in my ears.

I actually love Joy’s voice! It sounds so sweet and cheery!

i also really love momo’s voice I think it’s rly cute . 

Posted (edited)

Kpop stans expect WAY too much from idols and are the biggest hypocrites EVER! You can’t get mad at idols for lip syncing when you’re quick to bash others for not sounding good live. Same with visuals, getting mad that idols are starting to look to same when you attack idols who don’t fit into the idol beauty standards. They want idols to be a Beyoncé when majority are a Selena Gomez.

One more thing, I will never take you seriously if you tell me you stan kpop or certain groups for vocals and talent. Cause if you stand by what you said, you wouldn’t give kpop a listen at all, including that groups with talented members that aren’t hard carried by 1-3 people (looking at a lot of big 3 groups) would be dominating instead of dying after a couple years of debut. 

Edited by Enigma
Error

Posted

OT slightly and about BTS. 

Black Swan and Shadow are really good and I'm just hoping that we don't get a song like Boy with Love. I think the major reason I was annoyed by the last comeback was because the genre of the album went from Intro: Persona to Boy with Love. (and Boy with Love is by far BTS's worst song imo and is somehow still stuck in my head) 

Also annoyed with the continued "mystery" concept that I don't even think BTS are 100% in the know about (considering the last Bangtan Bomb). I think now because of the concept its becoming (even more so) less and less about BTS's music and more about the "fun story" and beating the youtube/streaming records. 

Posted

I've been seeing this trend I really dislike in K-pop girl groups recently. It seems like for a lot of girl groups, even if they don't have a "sexy" concept, one member will get singled out and given a sexy costume compared to everyone else. 

One of the most noticeable ones are Sana and Nayeon of Twice. Even if everyone else is given pants, long skirts, or long sleeves, Sana and Nayeon will be stuck in tiny little skirts that barely cover anything and strappy tiny tops. Look at their outfits in the image below - the stylists would never dare put Jihyo or Jeongyeon in something like that but for some reason Sana and Nayeon are stuck in something like this for almost every single recent stage. Don't get me wrong, they look pretty, but those outfits are way too small for intense dancing. Nayeon and Sana are two of the most sexualized members so I think the stylists are pandering to creepy male fans. 

Image result for twice feel special outfits

Same thing for Red Velvet's Joy. Joy is known for having a tall, curvy body compared to the other members. I think their La Rouge outfits are really cute, flapper-inspired dresses that seem reasonably appropriate to dance in, but for some reason, Joy has an extra short skirt, a cut at the stomach, and tinier straps compared to everyone else. This almost always happens to Joy and it makes me sad, since I really like her. 

Image result for red velvet la rouge

Honestly I'm just over it... Just give the girls appropriate outfits to dance in. It makes me sad when I see fancams of female artists pulling down their tiny skirt every .5 seconds because it barely covers anything. Sure, maybe some idols like showing off their body like Hyuna but I doubt every female artist does. 

Posted

I get really suspicious whenever part of an idol's image is being a "foodie." It usually ends up being said idol that gets exposed for having concerning eating habits, so whenever fans say, "They're fine!! They always post about meals and eat on shows!" I'm just like...yeah...I really hope they are fine...:alpacadone:

Posted

I get really suspicious whenever part of an idol's image is being a "foodie." It usually ends up being said idol that gets exposed for having concerning eating habits, so whenever fans say, "They're fine!! They always post about meals and eat on shows!" I'm just like...yeah...I really hope they are fine...:alpacadone:

I feel like idols being a "foodie" is a cover up for eating disorders a lot of the time. Like "Look! This idol is doing a mukbang and eating tons of tasty food! They must be happy! (Please ignore the fact that they only eat 800 calories a day the other 6 days of the week and work out 2 hours a day!)"

Sorry to call out a specific idol but look at AOA Chanmi's youtube. Half of her videos are mukbangs/cooking and the other half is her doing things like "water fasts" and reviewing diet supplements. I'm not saying this is Chanmi's fault, she is just a victim of the body images of K-pop, but it's just such an unhealthy image to show to the world, especially young fans. 

I'm willing to be at large percentage of idols have eating disorders and anyone who denies that is delulu.

Posted

I’m so sick of bts’ music video plot lines and theories, omg! It’s usually a mess. Spring day’s cinematography was pretty but some of the theories I read killed my brain cells. I don’t even think bts or their team knows what it means at this point.  Anything they do has some deep hidden meaning at this point, lol.  Truthfully, I haven’t listened to the new songs yet. I’m kind of over their music. Never thought I’d say that. 

Posted (edited)

i feel like the whole "foodie" persona some girls use is just an uwu personality trait like "omg she's so smol and cute AND she can eat haha so relatable!!" type thing.. lol if that makes sense. also it puts emphasis on how skinny they are. fans who use it to further push that their faves are naturally perfect is just icing on the cake smh

Edited by rurihari

Posted (edited)

its a relatively big point of pride in (some? most?) asian cultures to be able to eat well and eat a lot and still keep a trim figure. companies built off of that to create a personality trait for idols that fans could easily latch onto and relate to and give them a little more branding/recognition. not only does this flanderize idols, but as you point out its most commonly used to excuse valid concerns of mistreatment or disordered behavior. its messed up. 

Edited by jeykehey

Posted

i feel like the whole "foodie" persona some girls use is just an uwu personality trait like "omg she's so smol and cute AND she can eat haha so relatable!!" type thing.. lol if that makes sense. also it puts emphasis on how skinny they are. fans who use it to further push that their faves are naturally perfect is just icing on the cake smh

its a relatively big point of pride in (some? most?) asian cultures to be able to eat well and eat a lot and still keep a trim figure. companies built off of that to create a personality trait for idols that fans could easily latch onto and relate to and give them a little more branding/recognition. not only does this flanderize idols, but as you point out its most commonly used to excuse valid concerns of mistreatment or disordered behavior. its messed up. 

it also the 'cool girl' persona perpetuated. not just in asian countries but hollywood as well. remember j.law's shtick about eating steak and burgers and really anything that associates to "manliness" and hunting your own food. Its that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEKNFX7LWRk this video explains it.

Posted

I’m so sick of bts’ music video plot lines and theories, omg! It’s usually a mess. Spring day’s cinematography was pretty but some of the theories I read killed my brain cells. I don’t even think bts or their team knows what it means at this point.  Anything they do has some deep hidden meaning at this point, lol.  Truthfully, I haven’t listened to the new songs yet. I’m kind of over their music. Never thought I’d say that. 

I agree with this. I think when I got into BTS around late 2015 I thought fan theories were so interesting and fun, but now it feels so convoluted. And it's not like there's a coherent story line so nothing gets resolved. And now people are trying to incorporate TXT's songs and videos too. It's a lot.

Posted

LATE TOPIC: Chen Getting Married

I am not an EXO-L, but yeah let the person live. Like, its his decision to get married and that's his choice. I am happy that most of the EXO-Ls are supporting him except for some. About him getting his soon-to-be-wife pregnant shows that idols aren't holy. Having sex is not a surprise because that's his decision to do it, he's not young to do it and because its something pleasurable to do. However, I think Chen just going to marry the woman earlier because Chen got her pregnant. Just saying...

Posted

I'm sorry but this fan theory pseudo-intellectual story line bullshit that BigHit is doing needs to conclude already. Cuz now ARMYs are pulling random shit out of their ass and trying to connect it to the theory and nothing makes sense anymore. Its too saturated with non sense and BigHit needs to resolve the storyline and move on to something else. Its gettin real boring...

Posted

This is just my opinion but I feel like for the most part female K-pop fans are more loyal than male ones. Female fans won't abandon their idol for getting older, for getting a boyfriend, for gaining a little weight, for trying a new concept, etc. as quickly as male fans will.

I'm sure there's really loyal male K-pop fans but I feel like a lot of the guys I know who are into K-pop just want to look at hot young women and as soon as a new and younger group comes along they abandon the past group. 

This so true, I just remember SNSD for this. They had a lot of male fans back then and when they aged, only their female fans exist (well, there are some male fans). I am pretty sure that this will happen to TWICE in the near future or some other groups who have a lot of male fans. Not hating though...