• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

8161 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I’m begging you please separate or make your long essay shorter it literally looks like thousands of lines of nothing and is clogging up the thread 

Edited by jb-ist

Posted

I’m begging you please separate or make your long essay shorter it literally looks like thousands of lines of nothing and is clogging up the thread 

you do know that it was my last post about this topic because I said "just agree to disagree".  And I don't know how to spoiler on my phone

Posted

you do know that it was my last post about this topic because I said "just agree to disagree".  And I don't know how to spoiler on my phone

like this

FED13BE1-5D21-421D-81CE-18E864A517DC.thu

Posted

Who said I am angry lol? I didn't only meant you, so why do you feel so attacked? Yes, I am annoyed because literally everywhere on YouTube etc. and even here I hear that we should thank those people for almost everything, because they invented certain genres. The people I see commenting about this are almost always pretty disrespectful and low key racist themselves. I saw over the years several comments like "Your ching ching favourites are nothing against real black rappers" etc. @staycalmdouche you can point it out, but I see several disrespectful comments from those people, who point it out. I think it says a lot about you, if you imply that I am racist, just because I say that it wasn't really needed to point it out here. It would have been enough to say it was R&B influenced, because who the hell doesn't know here that it was made by black people? The ethnic had nothing to do with the topic of music genres, who influence K-Pop here. Black artists (at least where I live) get praised so much and I see nothing but love for them everywhere, so I don't know why you all act like not one black artist is famous. Rihanna got a lot of credit for being the first one to include so many skin tone shades and body types in her work etc. I really love Jazz, Gospel and R&B, so it is not because I hate these genres etc. The situation is basically the same to me as those annoying koreaboos, who say that we should kiss the floor, where their idols walk and be thankful for that just because they have hard choreographies etc. And yes, it sucks that black people aren't well liked and get discriminated in Asia and hopefully it will change soon, but in most of these places, where people comment this, the people aren't racist, so comments like this are not needed there. It is needed by those delusional K-Pop fans on Twitter, who think their favourites invented the world. There is a difference between educating them and putting others a.k.a. the idols down. Also I am kind of annoyed that I rarely hear that we need to respect other cultures music and I only hear it about the black culture. I don't really hear of any other culture being so offended, when their music is used. Most were actually happy to hear their music being used and say as long as they are respectful it is okay. It is totally okay to say that we should respect them etc. and call them out, when they are acting disrespectful or use something sacred, but then why only feel the need to point out that only one of the cultures needs to be respected? (G)-Idle used the middle east/Indian (depending on what you see) in Latata and the only thing the people pointed out was that the henna shouldn't have been drawn on or that they are okay with the henna. Nobody said anything about that they should thank Arabic/Indian people for the music (and that their favourite idols are nothing against other Indian/Arabic singers etc.) and while they aren't treated as bad as black people in Asia, they are often still treated bad in comparison to other Asians. And I mentioned J-Pop, because some act here like R&B and Hip Hop were the only ones, who influenced K-Pop, which isn't true. It was also influenced by the east. Also how should the music industry thank black artists? Saying something like "I love the black people for inventing rap" would get the person hate for fetishing them etc. And if you thank one of the cultures you need to thank all of them. I bet most here don't want to understand what I am saying here and will still say I am racist etc., but if you don't understand my point now, than you will never understand it :). I have two black friends, which I love dearly and I stopped liking groups whenever they had a scandal, because they were being racist, so I don't need to prove anyone anything here. Just agree to disagree 

And about black women doing a sexy music video etc. and not being hyped: It is not really true. Especially the young K-Pop fans are fans of Nikki, Cardi B, Beyoncé etc. and hype them up a lot and always call their favourites something like "the Korean Beyoncé" etc.

And rap music is really popular in the west, so the bragging is of course more extreme in the west. I don't like rap music, so I avoid it in K-Pop too, but the overall mainstream music in Korea is still pop and most groups don't have another theme besides love (and low key sex), while the mainstream music in the west is rather rap music

Dude, I literally said "We should acknowledge black people for their important contributions to music" and you've just written me a damn essay about how inappropriate it is for me to bring up black people in a k-pop thread. Then you ended it with the good old "I can't be racist I have ~2 black friends~."

I'm sorry but it's perfectly appropriate for me to bring up black people in a K-pop thread, especially in one about UNPOPULAR OPINIONS. Like I said, there is a lot of racism toward black people, both in Korea and in western K-pop fans. I never said it was aimed at anyone in this thread but you're acting like I've just called you and your mom racist. There is nothing wrong with people trying to have intelligent discourse about it. 

Posted

Dude, I literally said "We should acknowledge black people for their important contributions to music" and you've just written me a damn essay about how inappropriate it is for me to bring up black people in a k-pop thread. Then you ended it with the good old "I can't be racist I have ~2 black friends~."

I'm sorry but it's perfectly appropriate for me to bring up black people in a K-pop thread, especially in one about UNPOPULAR OPINIONS. Like I said, there is a lot of racism toward black people, both in Korea and in western K-pop fans. I never said it was aimed at anyone in this thread but you're acting like I've just called you and your mom racist. There is nothing wrong with people trying to have intelligent discourse about it.

Honestly PM me, if you want. I won't talk about it here anymore. I just said it wasn't the users point probably & again this wasn't only aimed at you ...

Thank you @jb-ist :) 

Stop being so overly offended

@caterpillars. You even downvoted the post, where I clearly didn't talked to you lol. Of course you can downvote everything again, but it honestly doesn't show having a "intelligent discourse", when you even downvote something, which wasn't aimed at you. I am not complaining about being downvoted but rather that you don't really act like what you preach. I didn't downvote any posts, because I want to talk and I don't think the posts were completely wrong. Please PM me or don't mention it here anymore. Thank you

Posted

This may not be unpopular, but idols definitely shouldn't be younger than 16 and they shouldn't be able to train in companies, when they are like 8 years old. So much time of their life gets wasted, if they don't debut, often they have a huge debt, their grades suffer and often they have no normal childhood (some can't even tell their friends that they are trainees). And I feel sorry for the dancer Ha Eun (I think that was her name. I mean the really young child, who covers K-Pop songs and now even performs with the idols etc.).

She gets pressured into it, even if it is fun for her now, it can happen that she will hate it and she can barely quit then, because everyone knows her face. It isn't good that she dances with idols, she is too young (and to be honest she just can't dance like young adults can. She seems good for her age, but you can see the difference) and she should enjoy her childhood. Doesn't she even cover really sexy choreographies? I am not really watching her videos, because it creeps me out, that she is so young and probably not all of her fans have good intentions and I don't want to support her having to work and having the pressure of fame so early. I hope it won't turn out bad for her

Posted

This may not be unpopular, but idols definitely shouldn't be younger than 16 and they shouldn't be able to train in companies, when they are like 8 years old. So much time of their life gets wasted, if they don't debut, often they have a huge debt, their grades suffer and often they have no normal childhood (some can't even tell their friends that they are trainees). And I feel sorry for the dancer Ha Eun (I think that was her name. I mean the really young child, who covers K-Pop songs and now even performs with the idols etc.).

Hidden Content

Completely agree. I feel like kids under 16 should only be allowed to train 10-12 hours per week, depending on their age. That's about the same amount as a kid who trains for a career as a professional athlete or dancer. Some of them barely go to school if I'm not mistaken. And then in the end fail to debut. No career, no diploma.
It's a small miracle there isn't a huge industry for "mini" idols marketed at elementary school kids with idols who are like -12. Though with the success of that child dancer who knows.

Posted

people started to drag that Lana chick again (i am too lazy to dig up her thread)...and if anything, in my opinion, they should be angry at korean standards for being racist, not her. she's a pretty mild kboo who got a chance to follow her dream and she took it, just as most of those pressed 13 year olds on twitter would have done in her place. dragging her over her race is just...ironic as fuck to me lol

Posted

Blackpink’s styling is so bad. Nothing they were actually looks good on them. I know kpop girls are usually skinny but they look so unhealthy that they look terrible. They’re such a problematic group imo and there poor management is part of it. I could never get into blackpink 

Posted (edited)

i agree with ppl kpop twitter is getting wayyy out of pocket with the fancam. they will trend ...overparty and it will be fill with spam fancam. if you say this insert kpop group/singer giving constructive criticism it will be spam with fancam, a tragedy happens they should’ve of stan...fancam. i’m sick of it, utterly disgusting. 

Edited by Frenchskies

Posted

so kokoro, linlin and mirae left cherry bullet. all the best to these 3 girls and cherry bullet in the future.

Posted

so kokoro, linlin and mirae left cherry bullet. all the best to these 3 girls and cherry bullet in the future.

I haven't really been keeping up with Cherry Bullet but I had hopes for them after their debut and comeback. What is going on with K-pop this year? Losing members left and right...

If a group loses one member after a year or two that's one thing but if they've only been around for a year and they've lost like 30% of their members at once then I'm really hesitant to stan. I feel like Cherry Bullet could have become mid-tier with good management but this is really bad news for them. 

Posted

Newer Exo fans who act like the Exo K and Exo M era is not that important because it's not all of Exo as one group annoy me. Mama was an amazing debut for its time that I still love that I hope that we don't ever forget. 

Posted

Hidden Content

I feel like what some K-pop fans don't realize, especially younger ones, is that you can like something AND be critical of it at the same time. You don't have to blindly defend everything you like.

For example, you can say: "I really like K-pop but I don't like how the artists are treated. I will support my favorite groups but also be aware of issues surrounding K-pop."

Or: "I really like [some group's] comeback but I feel really uncomfortable with how they put them in those tiny skirts. I don't think they feel comfortable dancing in that. I want the stylists to dress them in appropriate clothes." 

I feel like people think if you like K-pop or a certain group, you have to defend EVERYTHING the industry does or everything that happens to the group. Why can't we all enjoy K-pop but still talk about issues like feminism, mental health, fair pay, child labor, and so on?

This is how I feel with G-idle and their “ethnic” concepts and also their racism controversies. I sympathize with all the struggles Soyeon went through with getting an enormous amount of hate from netizens just for her looks and I also love their growth (from debut to Lion Queendom stage, they’ve gotten way better at performing), but I’m also very critical about them. Overlooking their racism just because you like the members and their music just doesn’t make sense, but absolutely shutting them down, saying they’re untalented, shitting on anyone who likes them, and whatever else comes with cancelling doesn’t make any sense either.