• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

9303 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

i was listening to twice earlier and i just kept on thinking about how much hate i've seen be thrown their way for having done cute concepts for so long. no one ever has that much energy for nugu ggs, ggs who debuted before them or for ggs who only do ~girl crush~ type things ??? why is that? also for the record, although i listen to any gg and female soloist regardless of their ~concepts~, there are groups i stay away from bc i simply do not enjoy the music they release. there's no point in me forcing myself to listen to releases i don't like repeatedly to get myself to like their music when i can just listen to ppl that i,,,,, y'know,,,,,,, do like

anyways, i've been listening to twice since the month after they debuted (around nov 2015? they debuted in oct 2015) so i've Seen ppl say shitty things towards them, and also have seen how often people talk shit about cute concepts in general, saying they're FOR greasy pedo men and that it's gross and weird (not in the mood to say why that's a dumb-ass take bc generally cute concepts =/= infantilising)

idg why people who don't even really listen to them have to say something about their concepts and just bash on them, who fuckin hurt u lmao

Edited by shu

Posted

i always lower my volume when it’s a twice chorus. idk if their producers are amplifying or overlaying nayeon and jihyos vocals to hide the emptiness in their voice but it actually makes my ears bleed. twice have ok songs but it’s the vocals that ruin it. hidden gems like three times a day would be a hit if given to other ggs but their voices ... that pre chorus... don’t ever have both sana and momo singing after each other. props to jeongyeon for saving the entire song w her last chorus and high note. 

Posted

probably a popular opinion on this site, but unpopular everywhere else LOL

i hate it when k-stans call idols their babies, gaybies, or some stupid variation of baby.

i was at a oneus concert on friday and my experience was kinda ruined by girl(s) who kept screaming out that "name" was a beautiful angel baby or baby chicken like every five seconds. i turned around to see who it was at first and they said something like "sorry!!! i can't control my love for them!!!" 

the boys are cute and they're very lively, but i think it's so weird to call them your babies like you own them or something. everyone around me was just casually vibing and then you have these... people. it's strange because the first k-concert i went to was at kcon, and the people around me were very chill. i have no idea what to expect when i go see svt in january...

Posted

Not really an unpopular opinion, but...

I'm just so glad that Rainbow got back together for their 10th anniversary. Their friendship is amazing, even after their disbandment. They started and ended with the same 7 members. 

They deserved more. If only DSP wasn't so shitty managing them.

Mach and To Me are still amazing bops. 

Posted

i was listening to twice earlier and i just kept on thinking about how much hate i've seen be thrown their way for having done cute concepts for so long. no one ever has that much energy for nugu ggs, ggs who debuted before them or for ggs who only do ~girl crush~ type things ??? why is that? also for the record, although i listen to any gg and female soloist regardless of their ~concepts~, there are groups i stay away from bc i simply do not enjoy the music they release. there's no point in me forcing myself to listen to releases i don't like repeatedly to get myself to like their music when i can just listen to ppl that i,,,,, y'know,,,,,,, do like

anyways, i've been listening to twice since the month after they debuted (around nov 2015? they debuted in oct 2015) so i've Seen ppl say shitty things towards them, and also have seen how often people talk shit about cute concepts in general, saying they're FOR greasy pedo men and that it's gross and weird (not in the mood to say why that's a dumb-ass take bc generally cute concepts =/= infantilising)

idg why people who don't even really listen to them have to say something about their concepts and just bash on them, who fuckin hurt u lmao

I've never understood the idea of cute concepts being meant for creepy guys. Like yeah many guys like it. But cute and sweet songs are what many young girls like too. For example, the message of What Is Love is something that resonated with me, im in my 20s now but I can still relate to the idea of watching romantic movies and wanting to see myself as the female love interest.

What about the fact that, at one point, many girls groups changed to sexy concept and suddenly found success? Do people not realize that they were successful because it got attention from (probably creepy) men? Do they think the company didn't do it specifically to get that type of attention? Not to mention that Twice is a group of young girls, half of them were in high school when they debuted. A sexy concept would have obviously been too scandalous and girl crush style is more suited to girls who are 18+ (not that other ages cant relate but we have teen crush now). Cute was the most appropriate choice, and its not like they don't have variety within their cute concepts anyway. Like Ooh Ahh, DTNA, and Heart Shaker are all 3 cute songs but they still vibe differently. 

Posted

Am I surprised Amber made those ignorant comments? Not at all.  Am I surprised that there are so many people that defended her? Again, not at all.  I’m glad she apologized, but she made such a harsh judgement so quickly. She should’ve known that when her friends who are quick to make ignorant comments also disagreed. 

Posted (edited)

i mean, honestly, there's an equal chance they knew and didn't know and none of us can be sure either way. so i think both sides foaming at the mouth over it are ridiculous...yeah, maybe they didn't know, but it is also possible that they did know and went with it. not like they're gonna publish that for all of us to see. 

also korean produce is shit, the only produce show i kind of liked was chinese idol producer. there was less drama and they didn't treat the trainees as shitty as koreans do. at least on camera during the filming of the show.

I loved idol produce China. It was the only one I watched and I found all my fav c-pop groups from that show! They were also hilarious.

Also. I'm not even mad at Mino over his hair lol. I'm just not. 

Also I pray Mingi recovers soon fully and healthy. I miss him so much and San quickly is becoming my  new ult bias in Ateez lol.😩😍

Edited by Velvitjin

Posted (edited)

Am I surprised Amber made those ignorant comments? Not at all.  Am I surprised that there are so many people that defended her? Again, not at all.  I’m glad she apologized, but she made such a harsh judgement so quickly. She should’ve known that when her friends who are quick to make ignorant comments also disagreed. 

here's the issue...amber has been on that show SO MANY TIMES. How are yall just now finding them questionable? The founders of the company are ignorant and theres clips of them saying the n word to portray a  black man. Anyways, point is, yikes! She leaves a company and her colors come out! They're my favorite youtubers so I've gotten used to the ignorance offered by them and many, many, guests. Not surprised that she took the chance tbh she's made some questionable comments over the years...There's actuallly a thread on these people but it never took off 

Edited by Studi0

Posted

probably a popular opinion on this site, but unpopular everywhere else LOL

i hate it when k-stans call idols their babies, gaybies, or some stupid variation of baby.

i was at a oneus concert on friday and my experience was kinda ruined by girl(s) who kept screaming out that "name" was a beautiful angel baby or baby chicken like every five seconds. i turned around to see who it was at first and they said something like "sorry!!! i can't control my love for them!!!" 

the boys are cute and they're very lively, but i think it's so weird to call them your babies like you own them or something. everyone around me was just casually vibing and then you have these... people. it's strange because the first k-concert i went to was at kcon, and the people around me were very chill. i have no idea what to expect when i go see svt in january...

Yeah, it's kinda gross how some fans act. OT but I can relate - my first K-concert experience was plagued by this one girl and her friend behind me screaming "daddy" (eugh) and "you're so hot" at the top of her lungs whenever it was quieter. She yelled the rest of the time. As expected, she lost her voice at the end. My friend and I were so embarrassed just hoping the boys didn't think it was us. She also got so worked up she hit me in the head with her light stick. The person beside me had really bad breath and it was hard to avoid.. so my irl experiences with K-pop fans have not been great. Hopefully your Seventeen concert goes well, though!

The parasocial dynamic idols create with fans is so bizarre. I feel bad for the groups that meet fans that have no concept of boundaries or don't see them as real people at fanmeets. There's a cringe-y gif of a BTS member being forced to wear a bonnet and act cutesy for a fan and you can just tell it was shameful for him lol. And what's worse is when the companies encourage it and go with the 'fan branding' when it's not natural. Creating some form of worship or infatuation is the bread and butter of K-pop, but that means you get fans like this...

Posted

I'm so disappointed by Amber. I really like her and tbh I don't understand how someone like her can be so racist, but I guess (what I'm expecting is) common sense doesn't go along necessarily with supporting LGBT.
(on the other side it's very scary how quickly people "cancel" someone, but I suppose a ton of people commenting on the issue weren't her fans to begin with and only jump in now)

Posted

What is everyone's thoughts on Hyuna's comeback?

I'm glad she is healthy, happier, and back on stage but the song and dancing is just ok. I feel that Hyuna doesnt have that same spark as she did her 4minute days. I will say that I did like it vs to what triple H came out with. I always cringed when I watched a Triple H performance mostly because I felt the three of them didn't go together at all or it was the music. 

Posted

I'm glad she is healthy, happier, and back on stage but the song and dancing is just ok. I feel that Hyuna doesnt have that same spark as she did her 4minute days. I will say that I did like it vs to what triple H came out with. I always cringed when I watched a Triple H performance mostly because I felt the three of them didn't go together at all or it was the music. 

lol the only triple h cb i listened to was 365 so fresh or w/e it was called,,,,

i'm happy she's happy and in love but yeah, i don't feel much excitement over her comebacks anymore, compared to when i listened to her in like, 2015-2016.

Posted

Someone spill the tea?

Im going to go crazy with EXO and AOA coming back at the same time, RIP.

Choreo is boring, her choreos in Cube were bomb, also her voice sounds more nasal?  I like the song quite a bit but...

Posted

Warning: somewhat ramble-y feminist comment incoming. Feel free to skip if this is not your thing haha. 

I'm glad AOA seems to have moved on from the "3 minutes of booty zoom-ins" concept to what seems to be a more elegant, sensual, and mature concept that still maintains its sexiness, for both their Queendom comeback and their new MV. I found AOA's older videos to be really creepy and objectifying. I think you can have sexy concepts that don't treat the K-pop group members as plastic sex dolls, for both male and female sexy concepts. (No offense to AOA stans who happen to be into their old concept, I just never enjoyed it.)

For those who happen to be interested in gender studies: I think one good way to tell how objectifying/creepy a music video/advertisement/movie/whatever is is to count how many shots without a person's face or head there is in it. If a person's face is in the shot we can still feel that they're a human being with emotions, dreams, and so on. If all we see is a detached ass, or a set of boobs, we don't know who it belongs to or anything about that person. Especially for men who just see a video of an ass, that ass stops being a person and it starts being a juicy plump ass for them to have sex with. AOA's Miniskirt constantly features rows of asses bending over and wiggling without even showing the member's faces. That part really creeps me out. 

Posted

twice ARE a pedo bait concept, their fucking outfits get shorter and shorter each comeback and they themselves honestly look uncomfortable af, especially this last comeback since their outfits are RIPPING APART. damn yall gg stans wanna be edgy so much yall can't see how tragic korea is, they aint making cute concepts for girls, most of their fanbase ARE greasy uncle fans whether you like it or not. don't even get me started on their fucked up lyrics and the fact that they think that yes or yes is an empowering song (mina's words if i am not mistaken)

girl crush ain't much better either (i'm looking at you JYP, you and your fetish of making minors twerk in booty shorts) 

tl;dr i just wish instead of blindly defending it how it is right now, maybe you know, acknowledge that it's shitty and flawed and that it WOULD be way nicer if girls could do cute concepts without wearing skimpy af outfits and sing about "imma play hard to get, be a real man" or "idgaf about your opinion, i want your answer to be yes" like...if a BG sang that shit they would be dragged to hell. 

A sexy concept would have obviously been too scandalous and girl crush style is more suited to girls who are 18+ 

which one of them was in that creepy ass elevator ad when she was like 15 again? 

anyway,tl;dr korean industry is full of pedos and ggs deserve better. idk why so many stans think that shitting on a group concept is shitting on a group themselves, as if they got much to say about it anyway. 

also, JYP is a wholeass pedo.