• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

8122 posts in this topic

Posted

And I'm sure you know oh so well as a non-fan that BTS actually really never dabbled in politics. They were politically-conscious sure, but they have never released a song that directly addressed anything remotely political. And if you think they did, you need to learn what "politics" means.

what was "am i wrong" about, then? im genuinely curious. 

Posted (edited)

I kind of laugh when everyone wants to act like AOA is suddenly feminist LGBTQ queens for having drag queens in their Queendom stage. When half of their past music videos is just zoom ins on their ass while they bend up and down. Miniskirt, Like a Cat, and so on is just zooms in on their body while they wear tight clothes. Their faces aren't even in like half of the shots.

Like I still think it's cool that they used drag queens. And maybe they didn't want to be portrayed in such a sexual way in the past and it was just a choice of their company. But I still feel disappointed in how their past music videos choose to portray women and I'm not going to stan them as "woke queens" unless they quit making music videos and dances like their old ones. Hopefully AOA shows a different side to them other than just sexy male audience-pandering from now on. 

not saying aoa are feminist legends bc of the drag queens etc but what do their mvs have to do with them being feminists or not ... you can be a feminist and sexy lol

and you said that you dont necessarily think aoa chose this concept themselves, so how do you know theyre not feminist? not saying they are ofc but kpop idols cant rly refuse concepts theyre given to

honestly you sound ridiculous imo lol

// lol @ that one army whiteknight who also downvoted someone who said they only like 1 song from bts or something 

Edited by nayun

Posted

what was "am i wrong" about, then? im genuinely curious. 

I had to revisit the english lyrics translations just for you! Alright, let's dive into it then :')

Okay, first let's talk about the intro. The intro's supposed to set the mood and tone of the song more times than not, right? Well, here it is:

Am I wrong, fallin' in love with you
Tell me am I wrong
While your other man was out there
Cheatin' and lyin', steppin' all over you

Wow. Is it just me or is there zero mention of politics there? It's just the intro though, so fair enough, we'll check out the rest of the song then.

The most "politically-conscious" lyrics and ideas they have in this song are:

- "The world's going crazy" ; wow... so political.. they couldn't be talking about anything else other than politics???

- Or how about just the entirety of verse 1. Let me break this down for you:

The world’s goin’ crazy
How about you how bout ya
You think it is okay
I don’t think it’s that okay
Have ears but don’t listen
Have eyes but don’t see
Fish live in all our hearts
Its name is selfish, selfish
We’re all dogs, pigs, become dogs because we’re angry
Stork VS crow-tit warring errday
Crazy world yeah
Makes us crazy yeah
That’s right we’re all crazy
All right now give a shout
MAYDAY MAYDAY

Alright. Time to put my AP English skills to the test! "Fish live in all our hearts / Its name is selfish, selfish" --> again, nothing political. Just pointing out the selfish-ness in human nature. "We're all dogs, pigs, become dogs because we're angry" --> there are many reasons for youth/people to be angry these days. Have you seen Greta Thunberg? Again, nothing that implies anything political. "Stork VS crow-tit warring errday" is arguably the line with the heaviest implications of actual conflict in real life but it's too vague. Nothing about this suggests politics. It could be referring to a fight over anything.

- Onto the pre-chorus!

It seems like the entire world has gone crazy
Seems like the end
Oh why Oh why
Oh why Oh why
Oh why why why why
OH MY GOD

Again, just talks of the world going crazy. This could be about anything! Not everything revolves around politics! It could be more individualized, talking about how our own selfish desires (reference to verse 1) could be our demise ("seems like the end"). 

- Onto RM's verse!
If what you see on the news is nothing to you
If that comment is nothing to you
If that hatred is nothing to you
You’re not normal, you’re abnormal

Okay, I see a teeny bit of what you're talking about. The tiny reference to the news here might've thrown you in a loop because the news generally covers politics. But uh-uh, don't be fooled! You gotta put it into some context :') The next two lines talk about "comment" and "hatred" which if you put together is..... "hate comments"!! It's simple, really. What I think RM's trying to get across here is... "do you really not care about hate comments or are you lying to yourself" because as idols, they get hate comments ALL the time. 

- What else do we have....

Though I walk this crazy world’s path
I still want to live longer
I want to find it, my faith

Ah... Wow. Now what do we have here... "Though I walk this crazy world's path" --> despite all the hate / "I still want to live longer" --> I want to persevere / "I want to find it, my faith" --> I want to believe in myself. 

Now put it allllll together and you get "Despite all the hate, I want to persevere. I want to believe in myself." Seems like it's too much about self-confidence and self-love to be about politics... what do you think?

I hope this wasn't too complicated for you. Let me know if you need more clarification! :'))

Posted

They should of just given all of Super Ms songs to NCT. 

I don't like any song on the album. No thanks.

Posted (edited)

i think no one really cares about holland because frankly, his music isn't that good.

and chungha's is? lmao

there's also others... but my point was that i am tired of queer baiting and people eating it up. especially since korea is so homophobic and actual gay people get shit, but idols playing pretend are considered uwu cute gay babies 9_9

Please explain what #ENDVIOLENCE has to do with politics. And what's wrong with being associated with the UN? It does give them a clean image. It doesn't distract from who they really are. I can count their big "scandals" on one hand. And I'm sure you know oh so well as a non-fan that BTS actually really never dabbled in politics. They were politically-conscious sure, but they have never released a song that directly addressed anything remotely political. And if you think they did, you need to learn what "politics" means. But also, what's wrong with doing things for money? It's obvious they care about their message and the way they utilize their platform (uh- helloo?? they have a 4-part series literally called "Love Yourself"). The money's just the cherry on top. I'm not sure why you don't believe they're genuine. 

I've actually discussed this with others before. It's really hard for a non-fan to truly understand what BTS stands for because all you see is just 7 guys who seem no different from your faves but have somehow gotten "lucky" and made it to arguably, the top of the industry. There's a lot you don't know, and it seems, a lot more that you assume.

go back to twitter my dude, no one gives a shit about you trying to defend your fake ass favs. are you 15? cause if you're an adult and believe kpop idols are genuine, you really should get some help.

also, i have the feeling you dont understand that there's a lot that YOU dont know. like how they are when there's no cameras. Everyone thought Seungri was nice till this whole shit blew up, that's all imma say.

edit:jfc this is why people hate armies, you cant even run away from them on shitty anon gossip forums anymore, they even appear on lolcow every once in a while lol

Edited by vader_chan

Posted

I'm highly highly skeptical of mega sexy k pop concepts. AOA debuted with a rock band concept, but that didnt work out, so they did more and more sexy concepts.

Which is more likely: All 8 original members of AOA walked into their directors studio and said "Hey! Can we do more ass centric concepts from now on? Like music videos that have all of us bending over and wagging our butts toward the screen with our faces cut out? We'd like that more than a rock band concept where we're fully clothed and playing instruments!"

Or: the director going "Hey girls the rock band concept isn't working out and we need to make money. You're going to have to wear these short dresses from now on and do sexy dances. We need money." 

I'm not saying there's no K pop idols who are happy doing sexy concepts, I'm sure there's plenty. But when entire girl groups suddenly become sexy? And they all also happen to be on contracts where they owe a lot of money to their company and need to pay it back? Idk fam... 

I just dont find the idea of predominantly male producers making decisions for girl groups to pander specifically to a male audience to be empowering or feminist. And I have a hard time believing all or most sexy girl groups chose this concept for themselves.

If my explanation doesn't make sense then look at this gif and tell me if it portrays women in an empowering light. Maybe it empowers you but I personally find it really demeaning. 

giphy.gif

I highly doubt when aoa was promoting those songs they had the greater good of the female gender in mind 

So you cant be a woman having fun with your sexuality and a feminisg? Oh God, ask them to be nuns already. 

Posted

Wow you really just proved how bat shit and delusional you armies really can be.... did you really just? Yeah you did.. Wow on this thread. Ok. 

No one needs anymore clarification from you just really for you to shut up now.

Posted (edited)

I posted this on the scandal thread but I’m feeling chaotic and bored and no one really answered me and it was a legitimate question.

if your favs were as big as bts and had the same opportunities exposure and impact worldwide as bts does but bts never made it as big as they have, would you feel the same about them? would you feel the same about how unnecessary and unneeded western/worldwide recognition is? or no? say your fav (pick one doesn’t matter) went to the un sold out us stadiums were invited to host and perform at western award shows and morning segments, would you congratulate them and go on and on about how much they’re doing for the kpop industry or would you say they’re overrated theyre sell outs they just lucked out they’re no different than any other kpop group etc?

im 100% open to dialog and discussion on this im really not a ride or die if you don’t like my fav choke they can not do any wrong ever kind of person because that’s just sheer stupidity imo plus i don’t have the time energy patience or support for that mentality. i actually agree with some of you on some of the points and i guess holes? flaws? (idk what to call them) you bring up but it just seems like a lot of you can’t won’t or just flat out refuse to recognize admit and acknowledge that whether you like it or not, bts are making big waves in the not only kpop but the music industry in general and influencing and inspiring so many other groups and the giving the asian community a whole new platform to be recognized (not always in a respectable way admittedly) in the media and I don’t really see how that’s such a bad thing?

i admit that we will (probably) never see who an idol or celeb really is and that idols are so manufactured and have been trained since day one to look and behave certain ways in front of an audience and how to answer questions to come off more likable. but like. they aren’t the worst group or people in the world or industry to have this title, so to speak. 

Edited by b71
someone: tries to defend bts with valid sometimes linked sources and opinions. 90% of the people on this thread: *foaming at the mouth*

Posted

Please explain what #ENDVIOLENCE has to do with politics. And what's wrong with being associated with the UN? It does give them a clean image. It doesn't distract from who they really are. I can count their big "scandals" on one hand. And I'm sure you know oh so well as a non-fan that BTS actually really never dabbled in politics. They were politically-conscious sure, but they have never released a song that directly addressed anything remotely political. And if you think they did, you need to learn what "politics" means. But also, what's wrong with doing things for money? It's obvious they care about their message and the way they utilize their platform (uh- helloo?? they have a 4-part series literally called "Love Yourself"). The money's just the cherry on top. I'm not sure why you don't believe they're genuine. 

I've actually discussed this with others before. It's really hard for a non-fan to truly understand what BTS stands for because all you see is just 7 guys who seem no different from your faves but have somehow gotten "lucky" and made it to arguably, the top of the industry. There's a lot you don't know, and it seems, a lot more that you assume

If non fans can't figure out what bts stands up for, then that means bts aren't actually explicitly standing up for anything. Ambiguous, puddle-deep, childish, blanket statements and messages such as "everyone needs to love themselves to gain world peace!" that only fans can decipher and create meanings to yet leaves the general public who aren't as invested thinking  that these guys are as deep as a puddle of water isn't taking a stand, it's playing it safe.

You're right when you say that they've never been political though, that's because they've just been using being socially and politically conscious as a gimmick for years lol. And Armys ate it up and used that schtick as a way to make the group seem more special than they are when they promoted them all over the place. Now with their involvement with the UN and the SA concert, all these years of being ambiguous about their use of politics/social commentary is coming back to bite them in the ass.

And as someone just said, there's no such thing as a genuine idol. Bts may seem genuine because of how much they share with their fans and them constantly talking about spreading good messages, but remember that all of the content of them that you consume is carefully curated to only show off their good side and they've went through extensive personality training to make sure their idol personas don't crack. Even those little tidbits from staff that paint them as angels off camera could be chalked up to them playing as their personas. 

Anyway the SuperM song is actually nice in my opinion. I really enjoyed the references to kai and baekhyun's powers from exo planet(?)in the MV lmao I can't really see the American gp getting behind it though.

Posted (edited)

Ya know what I'm here for Jopping just bc I get to see Ten and Lucas back with Taeyong and Mark, plus Kai and Taemin together in a music video and group. ooooh the feels.

IM FUCKING HERE FOR THIS MUSIC VIDEO AND SEEING THEM ALL ACTUALLY TOGETHER HOLY SHIT!!

I actually really like the song now seeing them altogether in motion. 

I got so many exo references in it too and some nct. 

Edited by Velvitjin

Posted

If non fans can't figure out what bts stands up for, then that means bts aren't actually explicitly standing up for anything

And as someone just said, there's no such thing as a genuine idol. Bts may seem genuine because of how much they share with their fans and them constantly talking about spreading good messages, but remember that all of the content of them that you consume is carefully curated to only show off their good side and they've went through extensive personality training to make sure their idol personas don't crack. Even those little tidbits from staff that paint them as angels off camera could be chalked up to them playing as their personas. 

Anyway the SuperM song is actually nice in my opinion. I really enjoyed the references to kai and baekhyun's powers from exo planet(?)in the MV lmao I can't really see the American gp getting behind it though.

honestly, this. you cant have your cake and eat it too. i get that they don't want backlash back home if they speak up too much but, damn, pick a side then. also, since the army person asked, no, i don't gwt why ANY kpop act is so desperate for western validation instead of money. I get why MX songs kind of blew up there, cause they DO sound like shit you would hear on the radio at the mall (which is why i dont like them lol)

as for the no genuine idol thing... i said that and i mean, I'm sure some of them are decent people, but my point is that we can never truly know. Same with any celebrity really. They all have a public image and show us only what they want. None of us will ever see them behind closed doors. That is why i dont understand the ride or die hive mentality of fans. 

as for jopping, i have yet to hear it so i cant comment on it but, i feel like SM is shooting themselves in the foot here. Concerts in huge arenas for 5 songs? For a group that just debuted and who half the fandoms are already hating on? Weird but, their business i guess. 

Posted (edited)

A lot of yall are unhappy about my comments on AOA and feminism, which, fair enough, I dont know who the members are as people and their views on women's rights. Perhaps they are all big proponents of women's rights. 

But as far as their past music videos and performances, I still find them a bit sexist. (The videos rather than the group themselves.)

My problem is not female sexuality, but rather female sexuality being interpreted through the male gaze,

When I think of female sexuality, I think of women in control of their own bodies, women who are living breathing people outside of their bodies and sexuality, women making their own choices, etc 

But when I watch videos like Miniskirt, it feels very voyeuristic and like a male interpretation of female sexuality. 

Watching a scantily clad woman sleep in the beginning of the video... As if she is powerless and doesn't know we're watching her. 

Shots with no faces in it, only body parts (This is discussed a lot in gender studies classes. If you remove a womans face from a shot you're only thinking of her body parts, you know nothing about who she is. All we see is an unidentified row of butts.) 

Tight skirts that barely cover up anything. Plenty of kpop idols do sensual routines in full suits, such as their performance of Egoistic. You dont need to have body parts nearly slipping out to be sensual.

Girls under 18 (I believe Chanmi was 16-17 in their first sexy videos) I just really dont agree with portraying teenagers in such a way. Male nor female idols.

Anyways tldr, it's not that I have an issue with female sexuality and sensuality, it's being twisted in a way that suits the male fantasy rather than being how most women would portray their own sexuality.

Sorry for the long af rant, I just got tired of these kinds of videos in Kpop and think there are ways to be sensual without being so objectifying. I dont wanna clog up the thread anymore though so I'll be happy to DM anyone who wants to discuss this! I have a strong interest in women's rights so that's why I write about stuff like this. Sorry if it sounded bad in my first posts. 

If anyone finds AOAs more sexy videos to be empowering and feminist, I'd love to hear about it, I'm always down to hear a new perspective and learn. 

Edited by caterpillars

Posted

Dude I really don’t know what to tell you, but an unpopular opinion thread really isn’t a place to white knight for BTS. You’ve done this multiple times before. I get that you like them, but people have the right to say whatever they want about BTS being overrated, this and that, bladiblah. If I’m correct this whole conversation started because of the conversation being started about the SA concert and if being in direct conflict with their UNICEF campaign? If you like really... Really are gonna get super made because someone doesn’t agree with your “valid sources (what sources were presented..) and  valid information” that you brought up in here then don’t come to a website full of people who are people. Or at least people who come to state their unpopular opinions.

Posted

Dude I really don’t know what to tell you, but an unpopular opinion thread really isn’t a place to white knight for BTS. You’ve done this multiple times before. I get that you like them, but people have the right to say whatever they want about BTS being overrated, this and that, bladiblah. If I’m correct this whole conversation started because of the conversation being started about the SA concert and if being in direct conflict with their UNICEF campaign? If you like really... Really are gonna get super made because someone doesn’t agree with your “valid sources (what sources were presented..) and  valid information” that you brought up in here then don’t come to a website full of people who are people. Or at least people who come to state their unpopular opinions.

the opinions on bts and how they don’t deserve xyz aren’t even unpopular anymore that’s the thing lmao. how come whenever someone defends something they’re automatically white knighting and ‘that stan’? If anything i have the unpopular opinion at this point. and there are sources about some other subjects in other posts on the scandal thread. and im not even mad im more annoyed

Posted

the opinions on bts and how they don’t deserve xyz aren’t even unpopular anymore that’s the thing lmao. how come whenever someone defends something they’re automatically white knighting and ‘that stan’? If anything i have the unpopular opinion at this point. and there are sources about some other subjects in other posts on the scandal thread. and im not even mad im more annoyed

I'm annoyed yall wont shut up about them.