• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

8099 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't like "idol rapping." And by that I mean when idols aren't allowed to do an actual rap, but instead they quickly read 2-3 cheesy sentences toward the end of a song during a 10 second trap break. And then fans act like it's so FIRE and good and whatever.

Example, Dahyun's rap in Twice's new song (time stamped.) 

I like a lot of Twice songs and I assume Dahyun is capable of a lot better raps than this (I haven't really followed her) But I feel like these songs force in this cringey rap break and make them read it in kind of a cutesy way. It just feels kind of jarring. 

Even worse is when an idol is clearly chosen because of their visuals, dancing, or some other aspect but have poor vocals, so they become a really mediocre "rapper" given 1 line each song. 

Posted

To clarify and myself, I didn't mean this as a compliment. The video reminds me of mv's like Fantastic Baby and Block B's Mambo as well as the song. I guess I would like Kard more if they gave me more? I feel like if Dumb Litty was given to another artist or another, I feel like they wouldn't have as much leeway.  (only in my opinion) 

I think I have a bitter taste in my mouth since one of the members basically put a twitter account that didn't like them on blast and it left a bitter taste in my mouth so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

probably an unpopular opinion but i wish more artists would do the same. you insult someone online, on a public account, they got every right to call you out. the acc called them flops and some shit, like, it's one thing to say you don't like a group and another to say "omg imagine training only to join a flop group like kard". in general i wish more people held kpop stan morons responsible. they get too cocky thinking they're invincible just cause they're hiding behind a computer screen.

Posted

probably an unpopular opinion but i wish more artists would do the same. you insult someone online, on a public account, they got every right to call you out. the acc called them flops and some shit, like, it's one thing to say you don't like a group and another to say "omg imagine training only to join a flop group like kard". in general i wish more people held kpop stan morons responsible. they get too cocky thinking they're invincible just cause they're hiding behind a computer screen.

I understand that but it still seems unprofessional to me. I've seen a lot of people say worst in this thread alone. Like I know people hate stan twitter and it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt and I absolutely see where you're coming from.

I just hope it doesn't turn into a Beehive/ARMY thing where you can't even say anything remotely negative about an artist without their fandom coming at your ankles.

Posted

I understand that but it still seems unprofessional to me. I've seen a lot of people say worst in this thread alone. Like I know people hate stan twitter and it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt and I absolutely see where you're coming from.

I just hope it doesn't turn into a Beehive/ARMY thing where you can't even say anything remotely negative about an artist without their fandom coming at your ankles.

nah i'm pretty sure NO ONE can come close to armies. and as i said, it's one thing to say ok i dislike someone's music because it doesnt suit me or list legit reasons like, that's fine. but being rude and dragging someone, honestly i'm all for calling out such people. tbh in that line of thought i wish BTS would call out their toxic fans for once. If EXO and GOT7 and VIXX for example can do it, why not them? Just screams spineless to me honestly.

Posted

I think I have a bitter taste in my mouth since one of the members basically put a twitter account that didn't like them on blast and it left a bitter taste in my mouth so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

Who was it and  where can I find this info? I'm sure it was prob BM but still can you link me?

Posted

Who was it and  where can I find this info? I'm sure it was prob BM but still can you link me?

it was on BM's ig story a while ago! ill put in spoiler bc its a big picture 

99A26922-9AEC-47AF-9196-AF179F623F68.thu

Posted

Since @syunki already added the picture of his story, this is what happened to the account afterwards: 

suspended.thumb.png.f4b1dc1dfd3244db1852

Which honestly makes me a bit more upset since the account wasn't deactivated meaning that the fans must (probably) have reported the account. I hope it was reported for something other than this situation because it is about this then it looks really weak on his part and starts the cycle over and over again.

Posted (edited)

it was on BM's ig story a while ago! ill put in spoiler bc its a big picture 

Hidden Content

Since @syunki already added the picture of his story, this is what happened to the account afterwards: 

Hidden Content

Which honestly makes me a bit more upset since the account wasn't deactivated meaning that the fans must (probably) have reported the account. I hope it was reported for something other than this situation because it is about this then it looks really weak on his part and starts the cycle over and over again.

Honestly, what did he do wrong? He was pretty much doing the whole positivity over negativity with the heart emoji. You cant talk shit on someone and then get mad when they respond. I've seen idols respond worse.

Edited by Velvitjin

Posted

Honestly, what did he do wrong? He was pretty much doing the whole positivity over negativity with the heart emoji. You cant talk shit on someone and then get mad when they respond. I've seen idols respond worse.

I'm not knocking the guy for responding but it gives off this illusion that fans can go after people just because they said something that wasn't positive about their faves. Let's not act as if he didn't know people would go after that account. 

It's not about the fact that the person can't respond, it's the fact that it perpetuates a type of stan behavior where you can't say anything about an artist. We have seen what happens when this spirals out of control (Beehive/ARMY/Blinks/hardcore stans in general)

That's the whole reasons threads like this exist, so people can express themselves about kpop since a lot of the communities have people who will drag you for saying something that isn't the best about their faves. 

People can call groups and idols flops here and critique songs here without the possibility of this happening to them and we've all done it. That's why people look for and use these threads. 

Once again, I'm not so much talking about him, I'm talking about the behavior that comes with things like this. 

Posted

Kard are flops though

Posted

Who do you think is the most underrated K-pop artist? :alpacaheadshake:

the boyz and weki meki 

IMFACT IMFACT IMFACT IMFACT IMFACT

JEUP UNGJAE TAEHO SANG JIAN

IMFFAAAAAAACTTTTTT

i couldn't agree more, their music is a++

Posted

Kard are flops though

I'm not about to sit here and say they aren't but, 'you in me'(love love love that song) and 'Dumb litty' are good.

Other than that I'm just here for jiwoo and somin lol. 

i couldn't agree more, their music is a++

God bless you. 

Also thank you Jeup for being on twitch playing your games barefaced looking handsome and talented af. You made my day. 

Posted

I'm not about to sit here and say they aren't but, 'you in me'(love love love that song) and 'Dumb litty' are good.

Other than that I'm just here for jiwoo and somin lol. 

God bless you. 

aren't we all? Bm is cringy and jseph acts like a background dancer sometimes

Posted (edited)

Edited by Velvitjin

Posted (edited)

I feel really skeptical of a lot of "sexy" concepts for groups, both male and female.

Like let's say it's just a group dressed up really nicely and acting fierce/a little flirtatious on stage. Alright, fair enough, I don't feel like anyone's too objectified by that. I like Red Velvet's Be Natural, they are fully clothed and the song is clearly above love/sex but none of the dance moves are too inappropriate. 

Image result for red velvet be natural gif

But when it's boy groups who are forced to go shirtless, dance moves involving grabbing their crotch, etc or girl groups forced into tiiiiny dresses and heels and forced to bend over and wiggle their butts toward the audience... I feel really nervous about that... ESPECIALLY when some of the members are under 18, sometimes even as low as 14 or 15. It makes me think, is everyone in this group happy doing this and feels consensual about showing their ass/crotch to the audience? Really? It feels really predatory of the company. It's extra sad when a group does one concept, but it doesn't work out, so the company forces them to turn sexy. Example, Stellar being forced to take photos and dance in THONGS. A lot of ex-Stellar members have shown they are very unhappy with what they had to do and even have PTSD from being objectified so badly. 

I'm glad the Kpop industry seems to be moving beyond the ass/crotch-in-your-face version of "sexy" because it's not that interesting and it feels sad to watch. There are ways to be sensual without completely objectifying group members.

Can't understand people who say things like YAAS QUEEN and SO EMPOWERING and FEMINIST toward girl groups being objectified terribly. 

Edited by caterpillars