• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

6816 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok but i love how Hrvy interacted with nct. 

I wish more western public faces interacted like that with idols, instead its incredibly awkward.

Posted

Im screaming, their dancing here is making me cringe: 

Wow what can i say man queen of synchronisation 😂😂

Posted

This Red Velvet album was such a disappointment. The previous three with bad title songs still had really Good sidetracks, but the best sidetrack of this album doesn't even come close to how good the others from previous albums are... Eyes locked, hands locked is good but... meh. This album is just lackluster.

On the other hand, the outfits have been great! Normal! Cute!

Posted (edited)

this.

Back between 2014 and 2016 I used to go to a lot of kpop concerts when they came to my area. My first was b1a4 and while they may have been lip synching whole they danced, they were definitely live while they did their slower ballad songs. But then exo came through and I don’t think I heard any of their voices during the whole event.. really a let down. I saw shinee after exo and shinee managed to do a lot of their performing live. I’m curious why it’s different per group in the same company?

Oh? As a former exol I was left under the impression that they do perform live in their concerts... shinee is notorious for serving solid performances so no surprise really. Concerts in overall reflect how much of stage presence does a group have and how capable its members are to sing live (when there's no lipsync involved), basically the opposite of the korean stages where camerawork is involved and manages to cover up the ones who are slacking. Don't get how there's still people praising bp/bts/insert any group you like for being competent singers when the concert performances prove otherwise

Edited by makuhita

Posted

Oh? As a former exol I was left under the impression that they do perform live in their concerts... shinee is notorious for serving solid performances so no surprise really. Concerts in overall reflect how much of stage presence does a group have and how capable its members are to sing live (when there's no lipsync involved), basically the opposite of the korean stages where camerawork is involved and manages to cover up the ones who are slacking. Don't get how there's still people praising bp/bts/insert any group you like for being competent singers when the concert performances prove otherwise

Yeah, I'm curious about what performance is OP talking about, since EXO is pretty known for their good lives (not SHINee level, but second/third)

Posted

What's with idols lipsyncing in live stages all of the time now? It makes the performance alot less enjoyable to watch. I mean a few years ago it seemed like more groups were singing live on music shows but now its rare to see a group singing live besides a few.

Posted

very surprised to hear this about exo as well, i was under the impression that they did most of their stuff live because they genuinely have a pretty solid vocal line. it was either an off day for them so they played it safe or fans delude themselves into the 'CD eating' mentality too much. probably a bit of both. 

What's with idols lipsyncing in live stages all of the time now? It makes the performance alot less enjoyable to watch. I mean a few years ago it seemed like more groups were singing live on music shows but now its rare to see a group singing live besides a few.

if we're talking about korean music shows im pretty sure nothing has changed. all korean music shows demand that the backing track be louder than the actual live performance (with certain exceptions) so best you can usually do to hear how idols sound on music shows is mr removed videos, which are unfortunately pretty flawed and poorly done most of the time too.

i dont think this is new in the industry though, in fact id say blatant lip syncing is less frequent these days due to the fans being more vocal about disliking it. 

Posted

I remember when EXO debuted they almost only lip synced until after Growl and they got a lot of hate for it (no offense to EXO). Sure groups lip synced before, but not thaaat often. Since then this trend slowly started and seems to have gotten worse through BTS (and no I am not bashing them) because they had a hard choreography and gave up singing for it most of the time. Companies probably saw that lip sync is okay for the fans, if you have a hard choreography and it gotten worse because now even groups with easy choreographies lip sync and fans accept it again. It's pretty sad, I got into K-Pop because they didn't lip sync like those American popstars and now they often do it too :/

And this post is not about their vocal skills. EXO is pretty good, but they probably lip synced so much, because they were formed in a year and most trained only for a year

Posted

Yeah my post was honestly nothing against exo, mostly what I experienced when I saw them live. It could have possibly been that the levels were unbalanced in the small venue so it was harder to hear their actual voices over the mr, but honestly It could have just been a one-off. 

Posted (edited)

Huge subject shift, but I want to get this off my chest and have been holding it in for a very long time. I don't like how some shawols reacted to Jonghyun's posthumonus album. I was in a mourning fb group and there were some fans who were so outrage about the final page in the album photobook that had a religious farewell. I'm not Christian and don't like Christianity shoved down my throat, but I interpreted it something well-meaning, comforting and left it at that. But some fans (emphasis on the some) were mad, swearing that it must have been his mother/sister's doing and that he would have NEVER done that and it betrayed his wishes, they should have *known* that the page would trigger fans who hate religion. First of all:

1) Regardless of how well you *think* you know him, you don't know him. You don't know what thoughts were in his head when he composed the album. I've met agnostic people with terminal illness who sought comfort in religion in their final days, because religion talks so much about death, life, and after life. He was raised with exposure to Christianity. Even if he was agnostic, he might have had good associations with the hymms, the choirs, the holidays so on. There's also the theory that it's there because it spells BASIC. He may have done it. There's no way you can be so definite that he didn't do it.

2) If it was true that his mom/sister asked SM to insert it afterward, who the FUCK are you to tell his mourning family how they can and cannot mourn his passing? Regardless of how many albums you've bought, or how many concerts you've attended or interviews you've watched, you are only a fan. You are nothing. Nothing compared to his family who raised him, knew him, loved him, whom he loved so much. I operate on the good faith that his loved ones have done the best they could and wouldn't intentionally do anything that would have upset him. 

At the time, I wished so bad to bluntly tell these fans to get over themselves, to yell at them to STOP making it about them, but I refrained. 

Edited by AudreyLah
Typos

Posted

Huge subject shift, but I want to get this off my chest and have been holding it in for a very long time. I don't like how some shawols reacted to Jonghyun's posthumonus album. I was in a mourning fb group and there were some fans who were so outrage about the final page in the album photobook that had a religious farewell. I'm not Christian and don't like Christianity shoved down my throat, but I interpreted it something well-meaning, comforting and left it at that. But some fans (emphasis on the some) were mad, swearing that it must have been his mother/sister's doing and that he would have NEVER done that and it betrayed his wishes, they should have *known* that the page would trigger fans who hate religion. First of all:

1) Regardless of how well you *think* you know him, you don't know him. You don't know what thoughts were in his head when he composed the album. I've met agnostic people with terminal illness who sought comfort in religion in their final days, because religion talks so much about death, life, and after life. He was raised with exposure to Christianity. Even if he was agnostic, he might have had good associations with the hymms, the choirs, the holidays so on. There's also the theory that it's there because it spells BASIC. He may have done it. There's no way you can be so definite that he didn't do it.

2) If it was true that his mom/sister asked SM to insert it afterward, who the FUCK are you to tell his mourning family how they can and cannot mourn his passing? Regardless of how many albums you've bought, or how many concerts you've attended or interviews you've watched, you are only a fan. You are nothing. Nothing compared to his family who raised him, knew him, loved him, whom he loved so much. I operate on the good faith that his loved ones have done the best they could and wouldn't intentionally do anything that would have upset him. 

At the time, I wished so bad to bluntly tell these fans to get over themselves, to yell at them to STOP making it about them, but I refrained. 

as someone who has always been a shawol and doesn’t really follow any group other than shinee, this is STILL a problem..

fans get mad all the time about whether or not Jonghyun is included in things through SM, but.. at the end of the day, his family has the rights to his name and they decide whether or not he’s included.. as far as we know, his family might be completely taking him out of everything for posterity’s sake.

its the bigger issue I have with the current state of shawols. 

And side note, I think the amount of time they kept the memorial up at SM was a decent amount of time and gave those who wanted to visit it enough time to visit.. I saw people revolting when they took it down, but honestly, most Korean shawols I talked about it with agreed it shouldn’t stay up for much longer as it only prolonged the mourning process.

but anyway, sorry to piggy back on your post, but as a shawol I couldn’t agree more..

Posted

Lip syncing idols? *Imfact has left the chat*

Posted

Lip syncing idols? *Imfact has left the chat*

Jeup was caught sippin tea.

Posted

i've seen exo live twice and i can confirm that (for at least the shows i went to) they do sing live during concerts. in fact, i actually left the shows both times thinking that it was their dancing, not singing, that seemed a little lackluster. exo are pretty consistent regardless when it comes to vocals, and there are videos with some of the vocalists' voices cracking on a high note or starting to sing their line early that (while not great) show that they're singing live

Posted

none of them are talented enough to go solo

their solo stages during concerts are so...limited. lisa only dances, rose...might be able to pull it off if she actually had good songs to sing and better her technique (but im a solo rose stan so i might be biased here), jennie is easily overshadowed by her backup dancers, and jisoo's voice have always been a hit or miss with the korean public. i think they're best as a group.

I agree, which is why I think even as a group they're falling apart. All of them could have just been YG models/back up dancers/actresses instead imo. I think Jisoo was supposed to be an actress actually if I'm not mistaking.