• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

4396 posts in this topic

Posted

Bang Chan doing cornrows... I’m actually disappointed.... I didn’t think him and the group would be the type of people to do that but I guess you never really know.

This will probably get hella downvotes cause twitter is flaming him badly but I also didn't think he was the type to actively do that...so I'm curious as to how tight those contracts are when it comes to being styled since he isn't the first male idol to be put in cornrows.  

Posted

This will probably get hella downvotes cause twitter is flaming him badly but I also didn't think he was the type to actively do that...so I'm curious as to how tight those contracts are when it comes to being styled since he isn't the first male idol to be put in cornrows.  

I’m kinda surprised because he seems to be very aware of his image and generally very good at managing it so you’d think he’d know better. 

I’m also not that surprised bc ppl idolised him so much that it was just a matter of time before he did something and a whole bunch of people turned against him. When the love is extra strong, the hate is too I guess. 

Mainly i don’t get why this styling keeps happening when the fan reaction is the same EVERY DAMN TIME. Like, I don’t really think it’s cultural appropriation either but clearly a lot of people do so just....why???

Posted

Honestly I think if he had the choice, he wouldn’t want them at all. He looked miserable in some of the pics that were taken, so I don’t really understand why Twitter is dragging him as hard as they are.

I think the contract rules must be super tight when it comes to styling or people like Rosé wouldn’t have to dress in super short skirts on stage and girls in girl groups wouldn’t freeze themselves to death at award shows with the things they’re made to wear.

I’m kinda surprised because he seems to be very aware of his image and generally very good at managing it so you’d think he’d know better. 

I’m also not that surprised bc ppl idolised him so much that it was just a matter of time before he did something and a whole bunch of people turned against him. When the love is extra strong, the hate is too I guess. 

Mainly i don’t get why this styling keeps happening when the fan reaction is the same EVERY DAMN TIME. Like, I don’t really think it’s cultural appropriation either but clearly a lot of people do so just....why???

I’m pretty sure it keeps happening cause the stylists doing it think black culture is trendy or somethin’ and are convinced in their minds that the idol they’re doing it on will look super cool with them on.

Posted

If any member of blackpink was ever chosen as the leader, it should be Rosé. She’s amazing at covering up stage mishaps and she’s always checking on other members to see if they’re okay. Plus she’s really good in interviews and things like that.

rose or jisoo for sure both of them seem grounded/chill while Lisa is way too hyper for that role and Jennie is well....Jennie.

Posted (edited)

A lot of kpop fans care too much about the approval of western media and popular celebrities, as if an idol or group’s worth is determined by them. The desire for western validation is strange to me. Nowadays, fan culture seems to be more about the obsession with global popularity and view counts compared to enjoying the music idols make.

Also, I don’t like to support any groups using my actual money anymore. I started thinking about the kinds of people idols work for (shady companies, the higher-ups like CEOs, etc.) and I felt gross knowing I was basically giving them my coins too. Plus, I don't even know what idols are actually like personally. I'm sure some of them are genuinely nice people, but I'm also certain others portray to be nicer than they actually are. I'd rather save the money for myself and people I actually know.

Edited by lightning

Posted

I was reading people's posts on here about bts vocals and I was like man is it really that bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nriddSJoT5c&feature=youtu.be 

Yeah, yeah it is apparently. What the actual fuck? 😂 still love the song and the performance but gosh some parts were painful....

Posted

I was reading people's posts on here about bts vocals and I was like man is it really that bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nriddSJoT5c&feature=youtu.be 

Yeah, yeah it is apparently. What the actual fuck? 😂 still love the song and the performance but gosh some parts were painful....

....thank goodness for the mr in that performance is all I can say

funny, bc hearing a clip of a Dionysus performance is what made me actually listen to the album. Although I was pleasantly surprised by the songs I kept thinking - this would be so much better if X sung this bc the vocal line is seriously weak. I’m not sure if they actually got worse or if they keep making songs that don’t suit their voices but everytime Jin/v/jimin come in singing way out of their range it kinda ruins an otherwise good song.

the comment a few pages back suggesting they get good vocal coaches is right

Posted

So i finally have the time to listen to bts new album and I still cant get into Boy with Luv.. Jimin singing out of his range turns me off and halsey voice kinda irritates me, but home and make it right are total bops 

and also Kick it is probably the only bp song i like except lisa rap it kinda ruin the song

Posted

I used to like Twice then I got bored and frustrated with them because all their songs started to sound the same to me. Then I suddenly began liking their music again and specifically songs I used to hate. lol. Now they're about to comeback with Fancy and it looks a little bit different then usual. I began feeling kinda sad because I got used to their super cutesy stuff lmao what's wrong with me. But the teasers damnn. The whole album sounds like it's gonna be good. I'll probably become a Once after this comeback lol 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgDbuklLOY

Also I saw Charli XCX was one of the composers of Girls like us omg I love herrrr!!!

Posted (edited)

Produce 101 Japan has been confirmed. It hopes to bring a better form of idol pop to Japan. I still don’t know why this is necessary. Idol culture in Korea isn’t the same as idol culture in Japan and that’s fine. But it’ll make money that’s for sure 

Edited by Rennie

Posted (edited)

Produce 101 Japan has been confirmed. Yes to hopes to bring a better form of idol pop to Japan. I still don’t know why this is necessary. Idol culture in Korea isn’t the same as idol culture in Japan and that’s fine. But it’ll make money that’s for sure 

I like both k-pop and j-pop but for different reasons. Japanese idols have a cute, homely feeling that is unique to their industry, and same goes for the songs. I would be reaaally disappointed with an americanisation of j-pop since that's pretty much what happened with the majority of Korean music since the rise of k-pop groups. Western pop got very lazy and shallow and I guess that's why k-pop took over, but they are basically the same thing, it's just that Korean producers actually put effort into concepts and still experiment a little sometimes. 

Edited by Momoka

Posted

I like both k-pop and j-pop but for different reasons. Japanese idols have a cute, homely feeling that is unique to their industry, and same goes for the songs. I would be reaaally disappointed with an americanisation of j-pop since that's pretty much what happened with the majority of Korean music since the rise of k-pop groups. Western pop got very lazy and shallow and I guess that's why k-pop took over, but they are basically the same thing, it's just that Korean producers actually put effort into concepts and still experiment a little sometimes. 

that’s exactly how I feel. Not to mention there are good jpop groups who already have an American feel to their music, like E-girls, Bananalemon, Exile. So it’s not that jpop can’t be “cool” it’s just not as mainstream or well known to the public 

Posted

Rose from bp looks so thin. Watching them on James corden and comparing her with the other members made me a bit worried.

Posted

This thread was made for me. The only thing I'm good at is giving my unwarranted opinions on korean music. Thank you.

• I usually don't like the term 'overrated' but blackpink truly is overrated. Mediocre songs, lackluster dances, boring choreo, They are literally a rehash of 2ne1 but conventionally pretty. What annoys me the most is that they ARE talented girls, and i'm sure they can do better musically, but not under the shitty control of YG entertainment LOL 
  • I LOVE BTS I really do, but Jimin CANNOT SING please stop giving him those high ass notes to hit he can't hit it!! Jin has stable vocals but his actual tone is so nasally I can't get into it. Tae is ok but he's even better doing soul n rnb genres, not those boring kdrama osts he keeps dishing out. Jungkook is carrying the vocal line on his backs at this point
  • BTS make the worst hype songs. Not a single hype song they've created sounds good to me. The only exception is cypher pt 2 and 3. Dionysus and IDOL are especially grating to my ears.
  • There's nothing wrong with being a solo stan lmao why should we care if a person only keeps up with a group for only one member? you can't expect me to show the exact same enthusiasm for every member
  • Wish that girl group stans would stop calling anyone who criticises their precious girl group a misogynist. Also pls stop saying that you;re a feminist bc you only stan girl groups. posting that oh my girl fancam under every popular tweet isn't activism.

Posted

This thread was made for me. The only thing I'm good at is giving my unwarranted opinions on korean music. Thank you.

• I LOVE BTS I really do, but Jimin CANNOT SING please stop giving him those high ass notes to hit he can't hit it!! Jin has stable vocals but his actual tone is so nasally I can't get into it. Tae is ok but he's even better doing soul n rnb genres, not those boring kdrama osts he keeps dishing out. Jungkook is carrying the vocal line on his backs at this point
  • Wish that girl group stans would stop calling anyone who criticises their precious girl group a misogynist. Also pls stop saying that you;re a feminist bc you only stan girl groups. posting that oh my girl fancam under every popular tweet isn't activism.

Here’s my unpopular opinion: Taehyung should release a solo RNB album or just completely debut solo... I don’t know how he’d do that with this packed schedule but whatever.

Girl group stans call themselves feminists but shit on idols like Hyoyeon and Hwasa for not fitting their beauty standards.