• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

9421 posts in this topic

Posted

OT but I keep seeing Nct fans saying they miss WinWin in NCT 127 but honestly....what do you miss? He never stood out to me in videos they did all together, it’s not like he plays a major role in their songs/MVs, I don’t remember him being particularly memorable in interviews/variety....so...do you just miss him in your ships then?

this sounds like Winwin hate lol but it’s not. I just think that he has more of a chance of success with WayV than with 127 and is less overshadowed by members with big personalities so I don’t get why you’d want him back so badly if you claim to want the best for him? idk the whole situation is a mess tbh

Posted

i feel like koreans support us debuts because it's mostly international fans who care about it and plus america is not a mono cultural country. it has no overtly dominant race and is a melting pot so it's not the same as a white person. persay, going to join kpop since korea is a monoculture. plus most koreans don't care enough about chinese and japanese members of groups to hate on them. all those racist comments you see are from gross shut ins who's life revolves around kpop 

More than 10K upvotes tells me a lot do agree with it tho

Posted

OT but I keep seeing Nct fans saying they miss WinWin in NCT 127 but honestly....what do you miss? He never stood out to me in videos they did all together, it’s not like he plays a major role in their songs/MVs, I don’t remember him being particularly memorable in interviews/variety....so...do you just miss him in your ships then?

this sounds like Winwin hate lol but it’s not. I just think that he has more of a chance of success with WayV than with 127 and is less overshadowed by members with big personalities so I don’t get why you’d want him back so badly if you claim to want the best for him? idk the whole situation is a mess tbh

WinWin being in 127 didn’t make sense anyways. iirc U was supposed to be the only unit with a true revolving-door system for the members, so him staying out of 127 and in WayV isn’t detrimental to the concept or group composition at all. 

Honestly I think NCT isn’t anywhere near a hard to understand concept like people say, it’s just SM is bad at executing it.

We need more (regional!) units with less members because Regular was a wreck. 

Ten being in WayV feels like a shitty move on SM’s part. Debut a Thai group you fucking cowards. (with lucas ofc)

More than 10K upvotes tells me a lot do agree with it tho

belle delphine has over a million instagram followers. There’s a lot of stupid incels all over the planet, including thousands commenting some entertainment article in korea. 

Posted

RV deserves to flop and chances are they will if they seriously attempt a US advancement.  

Red Velvet on the other hand doesn’t deserve the success. Deserve is a big word, but they’re smart for being limited to North American fan meetings for now. The minute too much press is made about them, poor reveluvs will have to deal with the rest of the internet outside of kpop twitter giving them hell because of Windex ): SM, like the other big 3, is garbage, so it’s not the end of the world if they finally get backlash that forces them to respond to the numerous controveries their acts harbor. 

I'm sorry wut what did RV do? I'm out of the loop..

Posted

I*ZONE is overhyped.  

I'm sorry wut what did RV do? I'm out of the loop..

I’ll dm you. 

Posted

I*ZONE is overhyped.  

I’ll dm you. 

Can u DM me too if there's something aside of Wendy's? 

Dalla Dalla is like I got a boy/Really Bad Boy mixed with some Weki Meki song...

Posted

- It's nice that NCT updates their social media almost everyday but when nothing happens for one day, Nctzens are so quick to demand more update. "Where are they?! What are they doing?! Update us with a vlive!!" like chill.. maybe they're busy or something.

- Skipping school + potentially putting your education on the line to stream and give your idols new MV views records isn't something to celebrate about. Nowadays, I feel like most Kpop fans are just success stans and only care about achievements rather than the music.

Posted

- It's nice that NCT updates their social media almost everyday but when nothing happens for one day, Nctzens are so quick to demand more update. "Where are they?! What are they doing?! Update us with a vlive!!" like chill.. maybe they're busy or something.

this annoys me with any group. they did it with MX , GOT7, Stray Kids ... like, let people have a fucking day off ... or a few anyway, i can't imagine being online 24/7 is all that fun. sometimes people need their damn privacy, you'll live without your fav for a while , jeez.

Posted

I*ZONE is overhyped.  

I’ll dm you. 

can u dm me about it too? 

Posted

I*ZONE is overhyped.  

I’ll dm you. 

what did red velvet do? I’m a bit confused

Posted (edited)

i feel like koreans support us debuts because it's mostly international fans who care about it and plus america is not a mono cultural country. it has no overtly dominant race and is a melting pot so it's not the same as a white person. persay, going to join kpop since korea is a monoculture. plus most koreans don't care enough about chinese and japanese members of groups to hate on them. all those racist comments you see are from gross shut ins who's life revolves around kpop 

coming from a foreigner who lived in south korea, take my opinion with a grain of salt, 

turns out south korea is the most "pro-american" country: 86% of the population said they "like" americans in 2017 (source). purely anecdotally as an english teacher abroad, many of my students were also vested in american popular culture (e.g., brands, music, sports teams).

just to speculate why this "pro-american" mentality transfers into korean music debuts in the states (rather than japan or china, for example):

a) a major mediating factor to explain south korea's economic success is the united states. the united states supported south korea when its economy was in infancy. additionally, the united states had/has the largest economy in the world, which south korea is rising towards and relies on (i.e., south korea is the united state's sixth largest two-way trading partner)

b) there is a lot of anti-japanese sentiment in south korea, which is largely both nationalistic and historical (e.g., japanese colonization, which embraced "cultural genocide" and forced koreans into factories to supply the japanese imperial war machine or to work as "comfort women," essentially military prostitution)

c) during japanese colonization of korea, many chinese immigrated to korea and were scapegoated for the country's poor labor environment at the time (e.g., low wages). among other things, like being ethnically more homogenous than china (which "houses" 56[?] defined ethnic groups) and being located on a peninsula (similar to japan, albeit an island), detached from other countries, there is an "us versus them" thought-process

totally irrelevant thought:

my misplaced hope that someone in monsta x will ironically rap "interior crocodile alligator i drive a chevrolet movie theater" in the new "alligator" title track

Edited by heonie

Posted

I*ZONE is overhyped.  

I’ll dm you. 

can you dm me too

Posted (edited)

nvm  

Edited by babybear

Posted

I think jennie cares about the blackpink members as people, but not as members, if that makes sense.

I*ZONE is overhyped.  

I’ll dm you. 

Ik so many people are asking but could you DM me too? I'm really curious since RV is probably one of my favourite kpop groups.

Posted

I*ZONE is overhyped.  

I’ll dm you. 

Can you DM me too, I’m curious.