• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

9328 posts in this topic

Posted

A few opinions of mine:

Hidden Content

lol a few opinions turned into a gigantic block 

I agree with your opinion on Twice, I've been ulting them since 2016 and I'm lowkey tired of their music. I really wish JYP wasn't so loyal to their current sound but Korean gp eats that shit up so I'm not sure they'll change things up anytime soon. Jihyo did say that the members are constantly worrying that everyone will get bored of them so I hope their concerns reach JYP soon.

As for BTS - technically, it wasn't them who got nominated. The nomination was "Best recording package" which basically means best visual look of the album. So even if they did win, the award wouldn't have gone to them but to the album's art director.

Posted (edited)

A few opinions of mine:

Hidden Content

lol a few opinions turned into a gigantic block 

as another user pointed out, bangtan wasn't really nominated for a grammy. the artistic director received recognition by being nominated for best recording package, which honors “album cover, graphic arts, and photography," specifically for love yourself:tear

now granted, that album looks like every other korean music album, so 

many people claimed bangtan were "snubbed," since again, they were not really nominated. these claims put the recording academy between a rock and a hard place. bangtan could not be nominated for another award, like "best new artist," because in order to be eligible, the act "must have released a minimum of five singles/tracks or one album, but no more than 30 singles/tracks or three albums in their career to date." 

and ultimately, bangtan was invited because of their accomplishments within the western market, which groups like tvxq have not achieved on this same magnitude. 

Edited by heonie

Posted

i've been a real big taemin fan for years (til now even) but i cant see how a "Want Disease" will be born and will replace the "Move Disease" ....?????

song wise, want is great, i love it, the vibe is like move imo so I guess I see where the potential "Want Disease" can stem from but???? The choreo????? I don't see how it could be a "hit"..? The choreo is nice for the vibe of the song and p artistic but idk which part of it the general public would catch&repeat

his 2018 release "Into the Rhythm" stays unbothered as one of the superior recent taemin releases:alpacaheadshake:

Posted

about whole BTS grammy thing.... it's kinda what annoys me with their fans, they act as if BTS was nominated for a grammy like, bitch no, they literally had nothing to do with it. it was the person/team that designed the album, chill. 

Posted

@babybear BTS wasn’t nominated for a grammy. The album art was, and the award went to the artist, not BTS. 

Treasure 13 has one of the worst lineups I’ve ever seen. 3 fan favorites didn’t make it but 6 members who had a combined less than 30 minutes of screentime did. 

For numerous reasons, YG is subhuman. And this part isn’t an opinion; YG is a predator. 

Posted

i've been a real big taemin fan for years (til now even) but i cant see how a "Want Disease" will be born and will replace the "Move Disease" ....?????

song wise, want is great, i love it, the vibe is like move imo so I guess I see where the potential "Want Disease" can stem from but???? The choreo????? I don't see how it could be a "hit"..? The choreo is nice for the vibe of the song and p artistic but idk which part of it the general public would catch&repeat

his 2018 release "Into the Rhythm" stays unbothered as one of the superior recent taemin releases:alpacaheadshake:

UnOp, I’m a big fan of SHINee but I don’t care for any of taemin’s solo releases. I don’t even pay attention to them if possible. I don’t think his voice is nice to listen to by itself, and his musical style isn’t appealing, almost repetitive with how on brand everything is. His japanese releases even more irritating because of how lackluster they are for me. I dread having to hear Sayonara Hotori. 

k-pop debuting in the u.s kinda makes me cringe, it just doesn't look right 

i don't think its a bad thing but i guess i'll just have to get used to it :alpacaheadshake:

the overhype doesn’t help, especially when followed by lackluster results. 

BP deserves international recognition and success. 

BP lacks the detrimental scandals but also the performance.. I don’t think their small discography matters. They can still debut in the US, they have tons of fans, and acts performing the same 1 song for months on end is nothing new or viscious (Dua Lipa won a grammy this year with 1 album, and like 3 singles that’s been promoted since 2017.. soo...) The girls obviously want to release more music too, so it makes no sense to fault them. 

RV deserves to flop and chances are they will if they seriously attempt a US advancement.  

Red Velvet on the other hand doesn’t deserve the success. Deserve is a big word, but they’re smart for being limited to North American fan meetings for now. The minute too much press is made about them, poor reveluvs will have to deal with the rest of the internet outside of kpop twitter giving them hell because of Windex ): SM, like the other big 3, is garbage, so it’s not the end of the world if they finally get backlash that forces them to respond to the numerous controveries their acts harbor. 

Disliking a group because you dislike fans is stupid. 

LOONA will be the next big “small company” girl group. 

Their comeuppance will be played off as a success story akin to the likes of BTS, but LOONA is essentially a passion project bread from industry plants. Their funding is insane, and the reliance on exposure by fans works so well. Their concepts ARE innovative and their discography is vibrant, unique, and extensive. The intricacies of the groups releases and concept are unmatched for girl groups, simply put. 

Posted

I agree with your opinion on Twice, I've been ulting them since 2016 and I'm lowkey tired of their music. I really wish JYP wasn't so loyal to their current sound but Korean gp eats that shit up so I'm not sure they'll change things up anytime soon. Jihyo did say that the members are constantly worrying that everyone will get bored of them so I hope their concerns reach JYP soon.

As for BTS - technically, it wasn't them who got nominated. The nomination was "Best recording package" which basically means best visual look of the album. So even if they did win, the award wouldn't have gone to them but to the album's art director.

ohhh that makes sense now thanks 

Posted

I like Move more than Want in terms of music, buuuuut the visuals are always on point. Taemin never fails to amuse me with his aesthetic in music videos :alpacalove: 

Same. I actually started to like Want after a few listens but Taemin always gives A+ game visuals in his MVs. I also like Key's too. 

Posted

Kpop group debuting in the us = americans/non koreans trying to enter the kpop industry 

Posted

Kpop group debuting in the us = americans/non koreans trying to enter the kpop industry 

Non Koreans have been ages in kpop tho, BP has Lisa, who is thai, Twice has 4 non Korean members, EXO debuted with 4 Chinese members as well, f(x) has Victoria and Amber, Miss A had two Chinese members...the list goes on, a few pages back (i think it was here) a group without a single Korean (still Asians) was called the real Asian kpop group lol 

Posted

Non Koreans have been ages in kpop tho, BP has Lisa, who is thai, Twice has 4 non Korean members, EXO debuted with 4 Chinese members as well, f(x) has Victoria and Amber, Miss A had two Chinese members...the list goes on, a few pages back (i think it was here) a group without a single Korean (still Asians) was called the real Asian kpop group lol 

that’s right, i sometimes still don’t understand why some people still disapprove non koreans joining a group. but when their oppars unnies debut in the us they’re so supportive. double standards much?

Posted

that’s right, i sometimes still don’t understand why some people still disapprove non koreans joining a group. but when their oppars unnies debut in the us they’re so supportive. double standards much?

Totally agree with this, even Koreans are super racist against Japanese and Chinese idols debuting in Korea but shut up when their groups run to China and Japan (specially actors run to China) to make big money. If people cant take non Asians debuting in kpop then dont expect non Asian countries to support it I guess.

Posted (edited)

1.I'm really disgusted by so many fans defending Seungri. Glad to see Korean fans not falling for it, but to to other internationals fans do so is embarassing. I say this as someone who actually thought he would be given the wrong end of the stick just becaus ehe was ounger. But after this ongoing issues with Burning Sun its pretty clear now that he, his mom and other staff members knew what was going on. There is no way he didn't. I'm sure YG did as well. 

2.I really wished people didn't automatically make Jimin a victim during that incident months ago before Japanese news sites began reporting on what occurred. He wasn't a victim. It was wrong for him and any other person to wear that shirt multiple times with no regard towards the people affected. It's not difficult to put yourself in someone elses' shoes when seeing imagery like that. Everything doesn't have to be aesthetics.

I kind of wish the Army fandom would start over sometimes. Although no fandom is perfect, I'm just tired of the increase of fans attacking other fans and anyone with legitimate critics for BTS. BTS also plays a hand in this by claiming they don't care about criticisms, then the next moment talking about it again in songs as if they're unbothered. Then that sets off fans to attack other people again. Rinse, repeat. 

3. I thought it was in bad taste Got7 had a drinking episode in Hard carry s2 almost immediately after JB and Jinyoung were on Hello Counselor talking with an alcoholic/abusive parent months ago. Especially since JB shared the fact that his biological father was the exact same way and his parents divorced because of it. Korea has a hard enough time acknowledging alcoholism as a whole(other fans like forgetting this so they can laugh at their faves drinking for some reason), so I was really confused and disappointed in them for adding to it. It seemed out of character to me for them to even have something like that since they were always goofy and funny without the need for things like that. I know Hello Counselor doesn't take serious topics seriously, but I've side eyed Got7 again for this(although this isn't the first time). They had plenty of great shows without that type of stuff, and no one was asking for it either.

There's also the fact that maybe a year ago Jinyoung mentioned Got7 weren't interested in doing shows/or eps with alcohol because they wanted to set a better example for their fans. I have to applaud Stray Kids for actually taking the initiative to share with fans that they don't drink and won't do things just because everyone else is. I have much more respect for them as a casual fan in comparison to Got7 who is actually one of my bias groups. Similarly I'm tired of BTS doing drinking based shows and wish they took the route Stray Kids did. They would've had even more of an impact than they do now. I can't even watch most of their shows now. I've never found things like that entertaining, more sad and exploitative. 

Edited by Candwhytwo

Posted

Totally agree with this, even Koreans are super racist against Japanese and Chinese idols debuting in Korea but shut up when their groups run to China and Japan (specially actors run to China) to make big money. If people cant take non Asians debuting in kpop then dont expect non Asian countries to support it I guess.

i feel like koreans support us debuts because it's mostly international fans who care about it and plus america is not a mono cultural country. it has no overtly dominant race and is a melting pot so it's not the same as a white person. persay, going to join kpop since korea is a monoculture. plus most koreans don't care enough about chinese and japanese members of groups to hate on them. all those racist comments you see are from gross shut ins who's life revolves around kpop