kpop Unpopular Opinions (K-POP Edition)

2192 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I was surprised that this wasn't a thing yet on here. 

Since there's an unpopular opinions thread on PULL, I decided to make one myself but based around Kpop. I'm sure we all have things we want to say, discuss or lol, confess. Sooo here's the chance (i guess). 

(Although I wouldn't call myself a huge kpop fan, I only stan few groups, but I do have a general knowledge on the community) 

Ok so here's my list:

• To me, kpop is starting to become overrated...and annoying (all these so-called 'fans' starting to hop on the BTS wave)
  • Most groups nowadays are literally the same
  • Most kpop stans are annoying af
  • I honestly find fanwars funny. Like it's funny how stans are literally arguing over who's best but yet their faves all get along and are ACTUALLY friends (?)
  • I'm sorry (in my personal experience), I think MOST Armys and Exols (tbh all big fandoms) are annoying. Like...just stop
  • I don't get the hype over Twice, Red Velvet, Wanna One and Kard
  • K-hiphop (to me) is underappreciated 
  • Girl groups are just..either too cutesy or 'try hard sexy'. There's a reason why people prefer boy groups (no offence)
  • There's no such thing as 'The Big 3 Privilege' everyone worked hard to get where they are now, and just cuz they're in a big company it doesn't mean anything.

(To be continued...)

MAJOR WARNING!!! : THIS THREAD ISN'T FOR EVERYONE, If you don't like what's been said...then leave. Just saying.

Edited by MySerendipity
Sorry, I hate typos

Posted

• k-pop was better in 2015, new songs are mainstream and not even that good to be honest
  • Shipping between members makes me unconformable
  • I don't want to be associated with the koreaboos

Posted (edited)

• (Lots of people seem to disagree on this) I really hate how 'international' kpop is getting, its seems now that all major western media is trying to leech of (mainly) BTS' popularity (and I'm happy for them) but it only seems to attract more annoying fans.
  • I wish there were more solo female rappers and female/male duos like AKMU
  • (A bit of a weird one) I also wish different groups did collabs with eachother, it's a concept that hasn't been explored before but I think it could work??
  • I really love TWICE and the cheesy teenage girl in love concepts works for them, lol don't hate me please

Yeah, i agree that there should be more female rappers and duos. I honestly would prefer that to any new groups!

- Kpop is not any different or special from American pop, they are both mainstream music 
- Kpop is getting quite popular worldwide and I can't wait for Kpop to become some dead old trend  
- Kpop fans are HELLA annoying
- BTS is way too overrated

Agreed with everything on this list. Sorry to say this..since I’m a fan of this group and I do honestly like their music, but BTS is way too overrated and this is because of how popular they got. People hype them up for doing the most simplest and basic things.

Edited by MySerendipity

Posted

to be honest i'm not very involved in kpop fandom.. i just listen to songs that i find catchy and don't bother finding out about the groups/singers themselves.. i used to be really into shinee, 2ne1 and big bang when i was like 19, though. nowadays i only really like (as in, i find almost all their songs great) b.a.p and blackpink.

anyways, i never really understood the hype for both bts and exo. i tried listening to their music but it always sounded really bad to me. i know after a while all groups seem to blend together, but exo and bts both sounded really disharmonious and awkward to me. or maybe i just never listened to the right songs, lol.

also, shipping irl people is awkward as hell. :c a friend of mine tried to tell me that the groups love reading fanfic about themselves but i doubt that's true? i'm sure some kpop artists/famous people in general enjoy it, but i doubt that they all have a general consensus of "oh yeah i love the fact that people write fics about me getting down to poundtown with my bandmate!" :alpacaworry:

and what is it with bts fans being obnoxious as hell. why are they like this. wtf.

oh, and don't get me started on people who only stan girlgroups and think they're on some moral high ground for supporting women instead of icky men. i'm all for supporting women but that's just a decent thing to do, nothing that should make you assume that you are an exceptionally woke individual or something.

Posted

oh, and don't get me started on people who only stan girlgroups and think they're on some moral high ground for supporting women instead of icky men. i'm all for supporting women but that's just a decent thing to do, nothing that should make you assume that you are an exceptionally woke individual or something.

these are one of the most annoying types of k-pop fans. they act like girl groups are more talented and unique than boy groups when in reality both boy groups and girl groups are average at best in the talent department let's be real (especially the newer groups). like, i understand calling out double standards in the industry but a lot of these types of girl group stans go overboard with it and are so obnoxious. they drag people for not being into girl groups and harass boy group stans for "missing out" ummm at least boy groups stans actually buy their faves' albums and keep them fed lol

Posted

everything 2015 and back >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything after 2015
newer kpop fans are fucking grating and fucking annoying. i mainly follow ggs but have my fav bgs, but the newer gg stans literally think everything is a damn competition (see: twice v bp v rv) and think that if you don't support ggs, you're sexist. LIKE?
90% of bts fans stanned bap and only stopped stanning bap when they went on hiatus. so much for baby forever lmfao
shipping male idols is really fucking annoying bc people ALWAYS take it serious and ALWAYS end up fucking up the relationship between idols.

Posted (edited)

Might get people feeling some type of way but--

I've never liked SNSD as a group. I think that part of the reason they became the "Queens of 2nd Gen KPop," was because of timing (since not as many girl groups were out to compete with in 2007 in comparison to now). However, I do recognize their hard work. I'm not dismissing that whatsoever, and I respect the fact that they did pave the way for newer groups. I just think they're just as manufactured as any other group...cause..it is Kpop after all. 

Any fav can be "problematic." I can't stand fans who think "Oppa/Unnie can do no wrong." In the same breath, some fans can go too hard when calling out idols. In some cases, it's definitely necessary, but in much smaller mistakes where an idol genuinely doesn't realize something is offensive, I don't think a tidal wave of hatred is called for. 

I think a lot of "member friendships," are staged. Not all of course, but a good amount.

After 2014, K-POP went downhill. 

I feel like most days everyone and everything in KPOP looks the same. In the past, concepts were much more clear for each group imo. You could tell the difference between 2PM and Big Bang, or UKISS and TVXQ, or Boyfriend and Super Junior. With girl groups, Miss A and SNSD and 2NE1 were different from each other, and were all different from 9 Muses and F(x) and Brown Eyed Girls. Now? It's like....almost (please note that I said almost) all the boy groups are hep-hap EDM groups with driving cars shots, running in the field shots, and surrounded by plants/neon lights shots in all their MVs. And...almost..all girl groups are usually now in school girl outfits giggling in slow motion. 

I hate it when fans try to label an idol as gay/lesbian and speak for them. I feel like that's so rude. I see this with Amber in particular all the time. Just because Amber isn't feminine in appearance, it doesn't automatically mean she is attracted to women. Just because Taehyun seems more feminine, it doesn't automatically mean he's attracted to men. I feel like it's unfair to label people's sexuality based on appearances and stereotypes in general. If you speculate, that's one thing, but to outright say, "Yeah, ___ is gay," when they haven't come out as gay is just wrong to me. I feel like it's the person that should have the ultimate say.  

I don't completely hate 3rd Gen KPop. I think some of the songs are catchy. I just think it's not nearly as enchanting as Kpop used to be. 

Not exactly Kpop related, but...kinda--I don't see the hype surrounding K-Dramas as a whole. I can count how many I've seen and out of those I've seen I've only remembered liking...four? Maybe? Especially the romance ones. If I see one more drama surrounding a rich asshole who totally gets away with being an asshole to some poor plain girl just because he's handsome and "falls in love with her after hating her at first" I just...can't with those plots. Yes. Even in 2017, they still pop those out. I thought those would get old, but they haven't. There are some good dramas that exist of course, but like with any form of entertainment, you just have to find it and it depends on your taste. 

Sorry for this being long btw. 

Edited by cocoaqueen

Posted

- If Natty would’ve stayed with JYPE I’m 99.99% sure she would’ve debuted in jyp’s new girl group. But no. She was impatient and went on a flop survival show. 

- Vixx are the kings of dark concepts.

- I really wish jype would do something different with Twice. The cute concepts are getting a tad boring.

- I’m really convinced that Blackpink’s Lisa bleached her skin and had a nose job.

- Army, exol, sone, once, and blinks are some of the most toxic kpop fandoms I ever came across.

- If SM doesn’t start pushing Yuta more I have a feeling nct 127’s debut in Japan will be a flop.

Posted

I know this has nothing to do with the unpopular opinions topic specifically...but I'm sure we've all heard to news about a very special someone passing, Kim Jonghyun. I just want to say may he Rest In Peace. Thank you for leaving behind such beautiful songs to remember you by. You will be deeply missed..

download.jpeg

Posted

I know this has nothing to do with the unpopular opinions topic specifically...but I'm sure we've all heard to news about a very special someone passing, Kim Jonghyun. I just want to say may he Rest In Peace. Thank you for leaving behind such beautiful songs to remember you by. You will be deeply missed..

download.jpeg

https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/9867-kim-jonghyun-shinee/

https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/40-random-chat-thread/

You can talk about it there

Posted

- I want to understand, but I can’t see why Wanna One is so loved. Most are good looking and talented but their music is so average, there’s no lasting impression to be felt

- All big fandoms are toxic and annoying but ARMYs will always be better in character than EXO-Ls. Exo fans were nasty while Exo was on top and now that the hype is dying down they are only getting more of their jimmies rustled

- I liked Mic Drop and DNA but the only reason reaction videos on low subbed channels are getting so many views is because Army wants to see black people validate their favs

- Music videos can make you like an otherwise awful song. Signal is an awful song, but if I watch the music video, the dance is cute enough to make the song tolerable