Webcomic Artists / E-Artists General Discussion

14 posts in this topic

Posted

This will just be a thread discussing popular webcomic creators, some examples including:

Adam Ellis: https://twitter.com/moby_dickhead

Sarah Andersen: https://twitter.com/SarahCAndersen

Owl Turd Comix (Shen): https://twitter.com/shenanigansen

Alex Morris (Webcomic Name): https://twitter.com/dorrismccomics 

I've decided to just put them all in one thread since they make similar content (webcomics about relatable/everyday scenarios, comedy, political views/opinions). If you know any other similar webcomic artists like them, you can discuss them in this thread as well!

I haven't really seen anyone make a thread discussing these people, but if a similar thread exists on here please let me know (and link me if you can). :alpacabored:

Posted

No one has really talked about E-artists on here because they all generally keep their personal life private and they work hard on their work. But I could be wrong though haha. 

Posted (edited)

No one has really talked about E-artists on here because they all generally keep their personal life private and they work hard on their work. But I could be wrong though haha. 

you're right, e-artists generally like to keep their personal life seperated from their works, but their content as well as the things they tweet/post about online can be criticized, you know?

Edited by chowchows
typo

Posted

anyone know anything about omyo? the webtoom author of salty café and those around us? I loved her and her artworks. know her social media?

Posted

I love Webcomic Name, I truly feel like my soul has been touched. I feel like the blob is Me. (I actually often say "oh no" and did even before I found this comic and I was very amused.) I also enjoyed his other comic, I think it was Hello World on Webtoon. It has nice combination of photography and digital art and has a good mood. I don't have the app anymore so I don't follow it anymore though.

Anyway, wasn't there some controversy around Shen lately? I don't exactly remember and don't think it was anything huge but he did address it. I think he was talking about some criticism or hate he got but I don't remember what that was about.

Posted

I love Webcomic Name, I truly feel like my soul has been touched. I feel like the blob is Me. (I actually often say "oh no" and did even before I found this comic and I was very amused.) I also enjoyed his other comic, I think it was Hello World on Webtoon. It has nice combination of photography and digital art and has a good mood. I don't have the app anymore so I don't follow it anymore though.

Anyway, wasn't there some controversy around Shen lately? I don't exactly remember and don't think it was anything huge but he did address it. I think he was talking about some criticism or hate he got but I don't remember what that was about.

i'm unsure if this is what you're talking about but about a month ago shen defended this transphobic/racist overwatch fanartist. i have no idea if he deleted the tweet or not since a lot of people were upset but i'm sure there's a screenshot of it somewhere and when i find it i'll post it ;;

Posted

i'm unsure if this is what you're talking about but about a month ago shen defended this transphobic/racist overwatch fanartist. i have no idea if he deleted the tweet or not since a lot of people were upset but i'm sure there's a screenshot of it somewhere and when i find it i'll post it ;;

are you referring to the tweet he made listing a bunch of artists who were all in their own rights Awful Awful people and saying that the callout posts about them were problematic bc god knows the reason he gave. All i personally remember is him listing Erika Moen on that tweet and I just vommed a little, I really can't stand her. Or did Shen do something else this time....

Posted

are you referring to the tweet he made listing a bunch of artists who were all in their own rights Awful Awful people and saying that the callout posts about them were problematic bc god knows the reason he gave. All i personally remember is him listing Erika Moen on that tweet and I just vommed a little, I really can't stand her. Or did Shen do something else this time....

Oh, I didn't know anything about that. I think the one I'm talking about was something about bunch of people claiming he is unoriginal or trying too hard to be relatable and he said it's getting to him and making him sad and unmotivated. 

But I did find these screenshots, I think this is what you're talking about? 

FWuji3U.png

Posted (edited)

Oh, I didn't know anything about that. I think the one I'm talking about was something about bunch of people claiming he is unoriginal or trying too hard to be relatable and he said it's getting to him and making him sad and unmotivated. 

But I did find these screenshots, I think this is what you're talking about? 

FWuji3U.png

(i'm on mobile so i'm sorry if something got fucked up) yes, that's exactly what i was talking about! as for what you were refering to, this is what shen posted on twitter—i guess what everyone said resulted in him going on hiatus

IMG_2830.PNG

IMG_2831.PNG

IMG_2832.PNG

Edited by chowchows

Posted

can someone explain it like i'm five, what's with that rage in the screenshots?

i like shen's comic though, it is relatable :derp:

Posted

can someone explain it like i'm five, what's with that rage in the screenshots?

i like shen's comic though, it is relatable :derp:

if you want it in a nutshell, then shen has defended problematic artists, calling people who harass said artists are basically pieces of shit

Posted

if you want it in a nutshell, then shen has defended problematic artists, calling people who harass said artists are basically pieces of shit

I actually think they're in the right though? Even if those artists are being shitty, harassing them just makes you shitty too. Like criticism is one thing, but I can't defend being an asshole.

Posted

I actually think they're in the right though? Even if those artists are being shitty, harassing them just makes you shitty too. Like criticism is one thing, but I can't defend being an asshole.

yeah, you're right..i think everyone started to hate shen because people thought that just because he's defending these problematic artists means that he actually supports the nasty things they've said/done? but what i don't think people understood was that he was defending the artists because they were being unneccessarily harassed, NOT defending the shitty things they've done. (hopefully that makes sense ;;)

Posted

I think a lot of people on tumblr reacted badly to him defending Tim Buckley since he's a sexual predator who targeted young girls, and basically putting him in the same category as other artists who haven't really done anything to deserve harassment pissed a lot of people off.

It turned out that Shen didn't know about that so a lot of the criticism calmed down after that. But it just proved that he's prone to state his opinion on things without doing proper research. I think time away from social media will do him good.