• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Melanie Martinez

1698 posts in this topic

Posted

i'm pretty sure that guy's video is a joke

i mean... lactose intolerance is a problem with the digestive system, it's not that kind of allergy c':

Posted

i'm pretty sure that guy's video is a joke

i mean... lactose intolerance is a problem with the digestive system, it's not that kind of allergy c':

some ppl do have a legit allergy like that when being lactose

but still im p sure it was meant to be satirical. as i mentioned before, upon scrolling through his twitter it's not like he's a huge troll or anything he just does a lot of things for shits and giggles. 

I think due to the previous concert incident (her micro tantrum), it's caused a lot of videos like his to rise in popularity

EX: 

^^^ when I first saw that video above, the comments were kinda like "omg i thought you were that other idiotic/bitchy/*insert name calling* fan. i was about to bitch at you/kill you/*insert various threats* :)))) " 

like jesus fucking christ

Posted

^ I tried to watch that video a week or so ago, but the girl took so long to say anything I didn't manage to finish it. What did she do? And come on why the heck are people acting like yelling "I LOVE YOU" is a sin?

Posted

some ppl do have a legit allergy like that when being lactose

oops i didn't know that whoops, i kinda ssumed my level of intolerance was what everyone else had

Posted

I really like her music but I feel like her songs are behind some dark story she might have had in the past? 

Posted

I really like her music but I feel like her songs are behind some dark story she might have had in the past? 

I think she stated somewhere that they're just made up stories, not her own. I don't have a reference to this as I just read it on a youtube comment on one of her videos. I love all her songs, I'm not a fan of her live, though.

Also, her one song 'Pacify her', though I enjoy the song itself - the lyrics kind make me go 'eh' as it's basically about being the 'sidechick' to some guy which of course I don't support. The whole song is about the guy she's in love with cheating on his girlfriend with her (or the character 'crybaby' - whatever lol) the meaning just kind of bugs me but I still enjoy it.

Posted

the Cry Baby album, or mainly the vids, is apparently "an exaggerated version of her childhood/life", as I've seen many people say.

Even though this doesn't follow the official CB storyline as it was on the deluxe version, Teddy Bear is about an abusive relationship she had. Alphabet Boy was about a boyfriend she had that belittled her musical talent I think? Mrs Potato Head is apparently more about herself but ngl it just feels like she's trying to cover up mocking cosmetic surgery in the song because it seemed like she didn't mention any of this until after the feedback. 

Posted

I really can't stand the lass. Her music is passable with it's dark lyrics and concepts; however her voice is horrid like a warbling 5 year old auditioning for X Factor. As of late I have been turned off her music altogether due to her awful personality and abrupt snappy remarks to fans. She is a mardy bastard who can't deal with popularity.

Posted

I love her, I met her due to a nightcore cover of dollhouse wich is DOPE 

Posted

I heard about this girl a little while back, I followed her on IG because I quite liked her style and unique make-up. At the time I didn't realise she was a singer with this whole aesthetic. I watched a Noodlerella vlog recently where they went to her concert here in the UK like a week ago? The whole baby thing creeps me out, especially if she sexualising it (not seen any of her videos or heard the music); dressing as a doll is fine but as a baby, that's just creepy and just shouts at me as someone who hasn't mentally grown up (like those people who 100% believe they are like 5 - there's that guy who believes he's a toddler and left his family to be one with an adopted family). I can't really comment because I haven't seen anything from her other than pictures but so far from what's been said here and what I've seen, I'm not really liking the vibe from her. I just hope this 'Cry Baby' persona is purely a character for her music and not real life.

Posted (edited)

I think she stated somewhere that they're just made up stories, not her own. I don't have a reference to this as I just read it on a youtube comment on one of her videos. I love all her songs, I'm not a fan of her live, though.

Also, her one song 'Pacify her', though I enjoy the song itself - the lyrics kind make me go 'eh' as it's basically about being the 'sidechick' to some guy which of course I don't support. The whole song is about the guy she's in love with cheating on his girlfriend with her (or the character 'crybaby' - whatever lol) the meaning just kind of bugs me but I still enjoy it.

I adore all her songs EXCEPT that one. It reminds me of Taylor Swift...

It's basically like telling all girls that if the guy you like has a girlfriend, then she is automatically a 'slut', 'basic bitch', and that 'she doesn't belong with him'. Screw morals and principals, cheating is the way to go. :notimp: There's a reason why he's dating her and not you~

I was really annoyed with this song because I heard some very young girls (8-12) at my concert singing this and then they started talking about boys and 'stuff' (they don't know any better though and they are immature rn) ..  

The influence that artists have on young teens are mind boggling. More and more young girls are getting into Melanie's style of fashion (which is fine), but they are also cursing, dating men that are well over their age (which is also fine, but most of these girls are way under the age of 17-18 and it is illegal to have sexual relations with an adult when you yourself haven't matured), drinking alcohol, forming mental disorders for themselves, taking (mild) drugs such as weed, and having sex when they haven't even taken precautions, learned from sexual education, and aren't fully developed. 

Her dedication and thought to her work is incredible. I love that she is so hands on. I could go on and on with praises, but I also could with tons of criticism. :|

There are a lot positive aspects in Melanie's writing, but we're not really here to discuss those. 

One last thing, her fans on this video and other react ones, idk if the comments are still there,They kept insulting the girl who said 'I don't like it'. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but god forbid if someone says they don't like Melanie! Btw the people in the video brought up good points about her fanbase.

Edited by n.b.dy

Posted

I like her songs a lot. I never took the baby thing as a sexualization but rather a way to show a story.

Posted (edited)

I like her songs a lot. I never took the baby thing as a sexualization but rather a way to show a story.

It's not sexualization. People are just making it that way. Like I said before, she is sugarcoating dark subjects in an innocent manner. She's not sexualizing young children by the way she dresses. She dresses up in a doll-like or 'lolita' kimokawaii sense, and then does very 'adult' things which can shock some people such as cursing, taking weed, drinking, having sex, etc (which are human things to do she's not a robot or a perfect doll). 

But if you look at her lyrics and interviews which have 'dark' content...

Some examples, I'm too lazy to put everything in here though 

'Wanna ride my bike with you
Fully undressed,
No training wheels left for you
I'll pull them off for you' -Training Wheels

'Little bit of poison in me
I can taste your skin in my teeth
"I love it when I hear you breathing
I hope to God you're never leaving"

Running through the parking lot
He chased me and he wouldn't stop
Tag, you're it, tag, tag, you're it
Grabbed my hand and pushed me down
Took the words right out my mouth' -Tag You're It  

^^Which is about rape and kidnap

'I'm fucking crazy, need my prescription filled'- Milk and Cookies

'Holding a girls hand
That basic bitch leaves finally
Now I can take her man' - Pacify Her

'Skinny dip in rabbit holes for fun
Popping, popping balloons with guns, getting high off helium
We paint white roses red,
Each shade from a different person's head
This dream, dream is a killer
Getting drunk with a blue caterpillar'- Mad Hatter

When she writes and does certain things and then looks very childlike in her videos, people are going to think she's sexualizing. But it isn't. Crybaby is her character. No doubt it will have a negative influence on younger audiences though and people will interpret it the wrong way. And The dressing up as a young child/baby is a fetish for many people out there...

Edited by n.b.dy
Needed to add something

Posted

I really like Dollhouse, Mrs Potato Head, Mad Hatter and Sippy Cup because I relate to them well.

I get why people would be mad, but she doesn't really sexualize the kiddy stuff much iirc except for a couple lines that could be interpreted that way, and even then it's a bit of a stretch. She's kind of the figurehead for the little stuff atm and it's definitely romanticising childhood in an adult way, though, so I still think it could be potentially damaging, just not in the way that people are saying it is.

Posted

Yeah, kinda, but Imo her style of lolita looks really basic. Sort of unpolished, too. In her dollhouse music video, she wore a jsk with no blouse, and it just didn't look classy 

shes not a lolita she just uses them for the dolly asthetic