• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Melanie Martinez

1718 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think at this point I'm getting so used to the whole childish stuff so the rest of the Crybaby MV didn't bother me that much, but I honestly wanted to quit right at the beginning because of the "pregnant pinata" thing. im pretty sure it was supposed to be some edgy visual metaphor, but pregnant women getting hit in the stomach makes me so uncomfortable :beardo:

oh yeah have you heard about that whole "Melanie Martinez snapped at a fan" fiasco?

I'm not 100% blaming her because I understand her side. It feels shitty when you're being interrupted and this isn't even a huge "snap", but I also thought it was a little petty the way she acted: almost mean mugging the fan, targeting them, and implying "you ruined this thing for everyone", possibly making the fan feel bad. She needs to understand that she's blowing up, her concerts are getting bigger, there will be lots of voices speaking while she's speaking (in fact, there were a bunch of other people speaking before/during the fan shouting "I LOVE YOU"). She can't take everything so personally. If something meant so much to her, she would continue to speak out about it, everybody was listening to ~ her ~ not the fan anyways.

I also noticed that this event was mostly drawn out and exaggerated by fans that were babying her rather than by people who legitimately felt offended or started to dislike her. I'm so v tired of Mel fans babying her because "she's so shy and smol !!! you can hear her voice cracking!!! look she's about to cry!!!!! she doesn't deserve this!!! that fan RUINED the concert and is so RUDE!!" including threats towards that fans and creating stories to demonize the fan. it's so cringey. 

Edited by PurinPrincess

Posted

Wait, did she walk off the stage at the end? 

I understand feeling annoyed when people won't shut up (heck, when I go to kpop concerts and the idols are trying to talk, the leader generally has to say 'shhh' like 80 times and even then people won't stop screaming), but just at that one fan, who was just expressing their love for her...Id say that was a bit mean, especially considering there were heaps of other people yelling things. She could have easily said "I love you too (or something), but please be quiet while im trying to speak", i don't know though, maybe she was in a bad mood or had a rough day.

The costume is atrocious though.

Posted (edited)

Wait, did she walk off the stage at the end? 

I understand feeling annoyed when people won't shut up (heck, when I go to kpop concerts and the idols are trying to talk, the leader generally has to say 'shhh' like 80 times and even then people won't stop screaming), but just at that one fan, who was just expressing their love for her...Id say that was a bit mean, especially considering there were heaps of other people yelling things. She could have easily said "I love you too (or something), but please be quiet while im trying to speak", i don't know though, maybe she was in a bad mood or had a rough day.

The costume is atrocious though.

No she just turned around and started the next song instead of talking about ~ how important ~ Mrs. Potato Head is to her. It is honestly better if she didn't address it ( "shushing" the crowd before talking or right after they cheered would've had better results) because she's only throwing negative attention that fan's way. People were paying attention to her regardless. And I know this doesn't excuse every action a fan does but like.... they're the one putting money in your pocket lol. they paid you only to be treated that way. 

Edited by PurinPrincess

Posted

So she's the one with the fans who think that Melanie created this aesthetic... She's simply a normie singer who saw two posts on tumblr showing off j fashion and then tries to make it seem like it's super unique lmao

Poor alternatives that never gets creditted for their style, because normies simply take it away 

Posted

I absolutely love Melanie and her music, and I do like the mixture of child-like themes with dark, adult undertones, but things like the picture of her with sucking a pacifier (her old twitter profile pic) and the mv for Crybaby really made me uncomfortable.  I can understand Crybaby being a character, but her dressing up as a baby kinda pushes it too far for me.

My thoughts exactly tbh. I can see how this could be easily mistaken as sexualizing being a kid, but I actually think the whole idea of being "childlike" yet being forced to deal with adult shit because she's like 19-20 right? At that age you're kinda a kid but you're also an adult so I understand, but I agree the whole sucking on pacifiers and wearing bibs is extra and creepy af.

I think at this point I'm getting so used to the whole childish stuff so the rest of the Crybaby MV didn't bother me that much, but I honestly wanted to quit right at the beginning because of the "pregnant pinata" thing. im pretty sure it was supposed to be some edgy visual metaphor, but pregnant women getting hit in the stomach makes me so uncomfortable :beardo:

oh yeah have you heard about that whole "Melanie Martinez snapped at a fan" fiasco?

I'm not 100% blaming her because I understand her side. It feels shitty when you're being interrupted and this isn't even a huge "snap", but I also thought it was a little petty the way she acted: almost mean mugging the fan, targeting them, and implying "you ruined this thing for everyone", possibly making the fan feel bad. She needs to understand that she's blowing up, her concerts are getting bigger, there will be lots of voices speaking while she's speaking (in fact, there were a bunch of other people speaking before/during the fan shouting "I LOVE YOU"). She can't take everything so personally. If something meant so much to her, she would continue to speak out about it, everybody was listening to ~ her ~ not the fan anyways.

I also noticed that this event was mostly drawn out and exaggerated by fans that were babying her rather than by people who legitimately felt offended or started to dislike her. I'm so v tired of Mel fans babying her because "she's so shy and smol !!! you can hear her voice cracking!!! look she's about to cry!!!!! she doesn't deserve this!!! that fan RUINED the concert and is so RUDE!!" including threats towards that fans and creating stories to demonize the fan. it's so cringey. 

How rude! I can't believe people are even defending her. While she didn't "snap" she was being a little brat. That shit happens at concerts. People scream and shout the entire fucking time there is no quiet time while you talk. It didn't sound like she was about to ~cry sad baby tearzz~ but she did sound pretty upset. I don't think she meant to go off like that but seriously Mel, chill the fuck out. Some of these people voted for you on the voice. be thankful.

Posted

So she's the one with the fans who think that Melanie created this aesthetic... She's simply a normie singer who saw two posts on tumblr showing off j fashion and then tries to make it seem like it's super unique lmao

Poor alternatives that never gets creditted for their style, because normies simply take it away 

I agree mostly with that statement. By the way, is English your first language Toukv?

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I think she really isn't creative.

Pity Party is a rip off of a song called It's My Party by Lesley Gore. The chorus is the exactly the same as Lesley Gore's work from the melody to the lyrics to the notes. The catchiest part of that song isn't even the work of Melanie. I know she has credited this multiple times, but it is the HEART OF THE SONG - and she ripped it from an old record. TBH she probably learned it from Supernatural (from Tumblr - the mesa for her inspiration aesthetic) since it was used in an episode there.

Phoebe Ryan worked with Melanie Martinez on this album, hugely in part on Teddy Bear but most music websites don't credit her. She has also worked with Taylor Swift so she isn't new to the music scene. I think Melanie had the rush of fame from being on The Voice plus she was playing up the "oddball" card, so of course Melanie was put forward as this great new artist. Phoebe has a pretty plain look in comparison to Melanie and therefore Melanie is signed and Phoebe isn't signed. Personally I think Phoebe sounds SO MUCH like Melanie except Phoebe sings incredibly well live as well. (Examples of Live both HQ and fan recordings: 123, While some are clearer in sound, she really is amazing live.) Here is Phoebe's Vevo as well. 

Anyway, I think Melanie needed a LOT of support from various songwriters to create content for her album, and at the end of the day compared to Pheobe Ryan who sounds like a Melanie clone. . .Pheobe has more talent. I wouldn't have known about her unless I knew a guy (used to be a coworker) that is a professional photographer and went to one of her shows. When I started following Pheobe I lost what little respect I had left for Melanie. 

As many others have pointed out, while it is cool to see a JFashion influence in the American Pop scene. . .she is a hot mess of a clusterfuck when it comes to mixing ideas, themes, and aesthetics. Plus she pushes the baby shit too hard for me. 

Ignore the spoiler, I need to clear my cache. 

Screenshot_197.thumb.png.d00c6efd0f9dcebScreenshot_198.thumb.png.4db6bb44ba956f7

Edited by BonBonChucked

Posted

I agree mostly with that statement. By the way, is English your first language Toukv?

No, why? It's like my fourth or third language..

I'm sorry if my english is bad; I type fast and mistakes happen haha

Posted

Honestly, I think she really isn't creative.

Pity Party is a rip off of a song called It's My Party by Lesley Gore. The chorus is the exactly the same as Lesley Gore's work from the melody to the lyrics to the notes. The catchiest part of that song isn't even the work of Melanie. I know she has credited this multiple times, but it is the HEART OF THE SONG - and she ripped it from an old record.

To me, that's not what a rip off is, especially since you've established she's credited it many times. Rip off implies she deliberately stole the content without credit. If this was considered ripping off, we'd have a bunch of callout posts left and right for 30% of the music that comes out that uses sampling and lyrics based on old songs. 

Now I do think that yes she has a lot to thank towards the original creator for, because a small portion of audience heard the song and went "hmm i know this song it's catchy i like it" (that's how i was initially, none of Mel's songs were memorable but that one), but once again so does everyone who samples old music or lyrics. It's almost just doing a cover of a song whilst making it your own. 

Posted

Melanie's company probably had to buy the song It's My Party, now sometimes if the song is old enough, it can be used for free (but you must credit it), but I'm not exactly educated on this subject.

And yes, Phoebe is a good singer, but from what I have noticed that's about it. Also, Melanie should credit Phoebe,but with most singer/songwriters they wouldn't credit anyone who has helped them (unless they are notable) because they need to keep their image and claim that they did it ALL by themselves.

I've seen a good amount of singers from New York sound like Melanie and Phoebe. It's like a very breathy, hipster voice. I still don't know why so many people sound like that, it's like they're trying to sound different, yet they all sound the same.  

When Melanie released her album it reminded me so much of Electra Heart because of the story telling aspect, electro music, alter ego, etc..

So many unoriginal ideas that 'became' unique... But, in this world nothing is truely an original idea. 

I still like her music though.

Posted (edited)

To me, that's not what a rip off is, especially since you've established she's credited it many times. Rip off implies she deliberately stole the content without credit. If this was considered ripping off, we'd have a bunch of callout posts left and right for 30% of the music that comes out that uses sampling and lyrics based on old songs. 

Now I do think that yes she has a lot to thank towards the original creator for, because a small portion of audience heard the song and went "hmm i know this song it's catchy i like it" (that's how i was initially, none of Mel's songs were memorable but that one), but once again so does everyone who samples old music or lyrics. It's almost just doing a cover of a song whilst making it your own. 

I personally feel any artist who samples tracks isn't as creative and special as people make them out to be. Of course the extent of the sampling correlates to the extent of the creativity. If it's just a backtrack then maybe the artist in question isn't great at composing the background music. If it's lyrics then maybe the artist isn't good at composing lyrics. Every artist has their strengths and weaknesses. What peeves me is that Melanie used every bit of the original track (from the chorus) and made it the focal point of the track. That may be my personal preference and I may be the minority but it really really irks me. 

I disagree with it being akin to a song cover. Plenty of artists cover songs, not making money off of them, but just to praise that they enjoy the song whether they admire the artist or just think the song is particularly catchy. Sometimes the artist will buy the track and their rendition may become popular. Louie Louie is an ancient song and throughout the years various artists bought the rights to perform it and sell it on LPs, make money from playing it on television shows, and even current day artists do covers of the song with several different lyrics where they own the rights to the song. Many more artists through the decades have just done covers of the song without buying rights and making money. I feel like if Melanie was obsessed with songs from the decade, as she insists in so many interviews, she would have done a cover instead of sampling part of a song for something she would later make money from. 

According to ASCAP the original team behind It's My Party is getting a share of the profit and is credited so I certainly don't think Melanie is a thief by any means - just unimaginative. 

Screenshot_207.thumb.png.1b0b92bf52e1a22

Screenshot_208.thumb.png.99f3e686f4a770d

@n.b.dy I accidentally deleted the quote in my post, and of course it can't be added back in post edit, but the next to paragraphs are in response to what you said:

Melanie's company probably had to buy the song It's My Party, now sometimes if the song is old enough, it can be used for free (but you must credit it), but I'm not exactly educated on this subject.

And yes, Phoebe is a good singer, but from what I have noticed that's about it. Also, Melanie should credit Phoebe,but with most singer/songwriters they wouldn't credit anyone who has helped them (unless they are notable) because they need to keep their image and claim that they did it ALL by themselves.

I've seen a good amount of singers from New York sound like Melanie and Phoebe. It's like a very breathy, hipster voice. I still don't know why so many people sound like that, it's like they're trying to sound different, yet they all sound the same.  

When Melanie released her album it reminded me so much of Electra Heart because of the story telling aspect, electro music, alter ego, etc..

So many unoriginal ideas that 'became' unique... But, in this world nothing is truely an original idea. 

I still like her music though.

The song was bought from Chappell & Co which was bought out by Warner Brothers ages ago. It's not in the public domain, actually a lot of songs aren't simply because it's old. I feel like compared to other artists, when you look up Melanie on ASCAP, she has so many different people involved in her work. It's not simply limited to producers, but an array of writers. 

I feel like Phoebe is a good singer and she knows how to compose songs which is something I think Melanie lacks. Since she was on The Voice Melanie had the popularity card going for her career. I'm not saying Melanie doesn't deserve praise because she can sing, I just think many other artists in her style are better. I also think she isn't creative as a composer. . .or her tumblr fashion style. That wouldn't she so egregious if she didn't play the "oh I am a unique snowflake" card. I feel like she always says "I am so odd/quirky/weird/awkward", "I am different", etc when there are plenty of people in the world just like her. Her attitude is very "look at me, I am an oddity" which is very much a part of Snowflake Syndrome in my opinion. I don't find she is as awkward she she plays in interviews, but rather she just don't have the social skills (or milks it for her image) to conduct a normal interview. There are so many out there where the hosts are cringing in their smiles or having to laugh awkwardly because Melanie doesn't respond with much charisma.

New point:

It also bugs me that she seems disinterested in a lot of the interviews. While she presses this "I collect dolls, I like odd fashion, I am honest with my music" and seems fairly passionate about that, there always seems to be a disconnect. Is this just my interpretation or do other people see this? It might be due to the fact she hasn't done very many and she will open up and become more charismatic with time. Or it could just be her personality. I think it could be interesting when compared to how she responded to the interruptions during her concert. It could transform the idea of Melanie just having a long day and being a bit tired and cranky into a personality flaw. 

She tends to talk about being "an honest" pop artist but there are a lot of artists that tell stories with their music beyond the sex, drugs, and booze. I think she has a holier-than-thou attitude (granted I only saw clips of The Voice so IDK how much was shown on TV) at least it appears in her interviews. Whining about being one of the few honest artists + being disinterested = rude, in my opinion. 

IDK maybe it's just poor posture and her natural eyes that make her look disinterested when she is not - hence why I am asking for others opinions. I'm not ragging on her looks (there are things I like about her physical appearance and things I am not into but I'm not looking to make fun of parts of her genetics) beyond wardrobe. 

Edited by BonBonChucked

Posted

I'm also part of the group that think she sexualizes a bit the childish aesthetic she has, i dont like it one bit. So many of my young friends idolize her for being special and unique, but i feel like she's the musical embodiment of trends in teens right now. Her songs are alright though.  

Posted

I'm also part of the group that think she sexualizes a bit the childish aesthetic she has, i dont like it one bit. So many of my young friends idolize her for being special and unique, but i feel like she's the musical embodiment of trends in teens right now. Her songs are alright though.  

She is only 20. (It's easy to remember because she shares my birthday, minus one year.) So technically she just got out of her teens. Although for me high school seems like foreeeever ago, for her it probably seems recent. She was on The Voice when she was still a teen so I imagine school and becoming an adult was a little different for her. She has been touring since 2013. 

Posted

She is only 20. (It's easy to remember because she shares my birthday, minus one year.) So technically she just got out of her teens. Although for me high school seems like foreeeever ago, for her it probably seems recent. She was on The Voice when she was still a teen so I imagine school and becoming an adult was a little different for her. She has been touring since 2013. 

So she's the same age as me, thought she was older. But that doesn't have anything to do with what i wrote (or i meant to write, not good at English). I just feel like people think she's very different from everyone else and she created something new, when its actually a very trendy aesthetic. And that just because it was different for her growing up doesn't mean its okay to sexualize things for kids (at least that's how i see it, but i understand how some people don't)

Posted

So she's the same age as me, thought she was older. But that doesn't have anything to do with what i wrote (or i meant to write, not good at English). I just feel like people think she's very different from everyone else and she created something new, when its actually a very trendy aesthetic. And that just because it was different for her growing up doesn't mean its okay to sexualize things for kids (at least that's how i see it, but i understand how some people don't)

Sorry, I should have been more clear~ I just meant that she probably is into the same things teens are because she is still pretty close to being a teen. :alpacadone: 

I agree that her infant aesthetic is incredibly disturbing and inappropriate. She tries to say "crybaby is a character" as if dressing up as this character is okay. I would have been fine with her dressing up as a kid and being an infant "crybaby" character if she didn't sexualize it. Tumblr already has enough of an issue with fetishizing underage prepubescent children.