• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Melanie Martinez

1718 posts in this topic

Posted

I wonder what her next album will be like. Since she does baby/doll fashion, it would be limiting. I'm a growing artist and even though I would love to do the asylum/crazy concept, I'm pretty sure she would do something like that. 

Posted

I think that Melanie has a lot of potential, and I enjoyed a couple of songs off of the album. The album still felt really... juvenile? To me though? I can't explain it but it felt like something was lacking. It might just be something that comes with experience since she's on the young side for the music industry. I think that with time she's only going to get better, though! I'm looking forward to her future albums. The producing and creative vision was particularly good, imo. I wasn't a big fan of the kind of 'baby' theme though.. hopefully she does a different theme next time. I enjoyed Crybaby, Pity Party, Mr. Potato Head, Carousel, and Soap.

Posted

I am exactly the same way, I always find it a tad odd when people use that weird/broken child aesthetic, it scares me tbh.

Me three. Actually I like a youthful teenage-ish aesthetic (even for grown women), but a toddlery aesthetic simply isn't for me. At least with the teenage-vibe you can feel nostalgia for your own teenage years, but who even remembers let alone misses their toddler-days? :D 

It's a shame (for me personally) that her aesthetic is so strong, because I liked the production and overall sound of many of her songs, but still couldn't enjoy them 'cause the aesthetic kept distracting me. I'm also not a fan of super breathy singing... except in some rare song where it totally fits, but I think Melanie overuses it.

Posted

Me three. Actually I like a youthful teenage-ish aesthetic (even for grown women), but a toddlery aesthetic simply isn't for me. At least with the teenage-vibe you can feel nostalgia for your own teenage years, but who even remembers let alone misses their toddler-days? :D 

Omg yeah, same. It's not very relatable! There are some parts that I do relate to, but overall it's kind of hard to. And I found the aesthetic distracting in some songs as well. At the very least, I guess it makes the album kind of cohesive? :lamaheadshake:

Posted (edited)

Her new music video for Crybaby came out a few days ago. I am a huge fan of Melanie and her music, but I am starting to hate her videos. Visually, it is too tumblr.  At first she was okay, but now it's just getting worse. She could come up with so many ways of sugarcoating but instead she chose to be 'Kimokawaii'. I am disappointed as a fan. 

tumblr_ntruojoBV51ue0tuzo1_500.gif

Also, this is just my opinion. Melanie can be whoever she wants to be. 

Edited by n.b.dy

Posted

She was on The Voice USA so it's not like she can't sing.

But I also don't really like the child aesthetic, not for the reasons as everyone else, but just because i think it's been way overdone

Posted

I was honestly so disappointed at the Crybaby MV, it's my favourite song from her album and there was so many ideas she could use for the video, but instead she just dressed as a baby and stayed in a high chair the whole video. 0/10 No thanks lol.

Posted

I was honestly so disappointed at the Crybaby MV, it's my favourite song from her album and there was so many ideas she could use for the video, but instead she just dressed as a baby and stayed in a high chair the whole video. 0/10 No thanks lol.

I just watched the video and agreed, 100%. I think she could have done something a lot more interesting conceptually instead of being so literal with the lyrics :alpacaworry2: I really liked the song as well but it was just a bit disappointing video, I wanted to see something more... complex? Maybe? I did like the way the video was filmed/edited though, the colors were beautiful. The whole baby aesthetic is getting really old and tiring, and also just... enough already LOL. It's not my cup of tea. :alpacaworry: Hoping that her next album will be more elaborate/developed, since the whole baby concept seems underdeveloped somehow. I do think she has a ton of potential, so we'll see what she does next. 

Posted

I just watched the video and agreed, 100%. I think she could have done something a lot more interesting conceptually instead of being so literal with the lyrics :alpacaworry2: I really liked the song as well but it was just a bit disappointing video, I wanted to see something more... complex? Maybe? I did like the way the video was filmed/edited though, the colors were beautiful. The whole baby aesthetic is getting really old and tiring, and also just... enough already LOL. It's not my cup of tea. :alpacaworry: Hoping that her next album will be more elaborate/developed, since the whole baby concept seems underdeveloped somehow. I do think she has a ton of potential, so we'll see what she does next. 

Since the whole song is about a girl being called Crybaby because she cries a lot and "wears her heart on her shoulder" or so to speak, she could have done a whole video following the said character (heck, even being played by herself) showing the said bullying or lifestyle... I was so looking forward to a complex plot, adding onto Soap or Training Wheels..yet, hope. Still disappointed AF. :stoplz:

Posted

Since the whole song is about a girl being called Crybaby because she cries a lot and "wears her heart on her shoulder" or so to speak, she could have done a whole video following the said character (heck, even being played by herself) showing the said bullying or lifestyle... I was so looking forward to a complex plot, adding onto Soap or Training Wheels..yet, hope. Still disappointed AF. :stoplz:

Yeah, omg. The videos are obviously connected but there isn't any real plot.... what a waste to be honest. She could have done so much more. She's still a new artist so I guess she's trying stuff out and experimenting. She clearly has a ton of originality/ideas but I feel like it's being squandered :alpacaworry2:

Also, was it just me or was the 'FUCK' with the alphabet blocks just... terribly cliche and a bit.. lame? When she did that, I was just... 'Really?

Posted

Yeah, omg. The videos are obviously connected but there isn't any real plot.... what a waste to be honest. She could have done so much more. She's still a new artist so I guess she's trying stuff out and experimenting. She clearly has a ton of originality/ideas but I feel like it's being squandered :alpacaworry2:

Also, was it just me or was the 'FUCK' with the alphabet blocks just... terribly cliche and a bit.. lame? When she did that, I was just... 'Really?

Yeah that was so...just off. It was in the storybook though, but even that was cheesy and unnecessary. The whole mixing a toddler with profanity and adult themes just grosses me out.

• 5_alphabet_boy.jpg

Posted

I was looking for space to talk about this woman, because most of my friends idolize her and this has bothered me because they see no problem with this kind of aesthetics, despite being very clear. and worst of all is that always tell me I SHOULD like, because it's cute, and I love cute things.... come on, there's NOTHING cute on her videos! :alpacabored:

I like baby stuff, I think it's cute and cuddly. but you know, baby things are for BABIES.
It's very different when people like pink and cute stuff and use items for babies on videos for everyone to see. like??????? :darth:
The songs of Melanie are very good quality, I can not lie. I don't like them because it's not my style, but that's just a personal opinion.

Her videos make me extremely uncomfortable because she uses baby things being an adult and this is somewhat gross, and even if she doesn't sexualize things, using an adult pacifier and talking dirty words will obviously attract fetishist attention. It is impossible not to be misunderstood (considering that she does not want to send that message, i really hope she's not that kind of person)
And the worst of all is that her fame is making people think that this is okay, and this is not.
She's not simply joining the creepy and cute, she is making a childish adult who sends others to fuck themselves, and that's just super bizarre and embarrassing to watch. :notimp:

I really hope she stops with this kind of aesthetics, because it's doing harm to others and is making her look immature. She has a lot of potential, but is not able to make quality videos, while the songs are great.

Posted

I don't think she is sexualising herself in any aspect. I think it's because she combines innocence and corruption together. She's basically sugarcoating. I hope she changes the baby thing though, it really isn't a good way to get fans.

Yeah it surely isn't a very good way to attract fans, to me it all can be way too easily misunderstood, but from what i could tell she doesn't intend to stop any sooner (or ever, idk) with the creepy baby aesthetics:

Here's an interview where she tries to explain her music and album, and on from 5:45 she basically shares her future music plans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdPpI60Y5aA 

Posted

I absolutely love Melanie and her music, and I do like the mixture of child-like themes with dark, adult undertones, but things like the picture of her with sucking a pacifier (her old twitter profile pic) and the mv for Crybaby really made me uncomfortable.  I can understand Crybaby being a character, but her dressing up as a baby kinda pushes it too far for me.

Posted

I don't get her. I mean i can see where she took insperation from Lana del ray and Marina and the diamonds  and from lolita but as someone who likes and occasionally listens to both. I really don't get her and her music isn't my cup of tea. Also her teaming up with lime crime is kinda not cool.