• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Melanie Martinez

1718 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I don't know about the tumblr thing, I haven't been there for a while. I do like the story aspect to her songs, all songs should tell stories in some way or form. Also, her singing could use improvement, but so many artists these days don't even know what is good or bad anymore they just use aesthetics, hype, and auto-tune  instead (as long as the crowd likes them it's fine). She used to sound decent on The Voice but now she seems less energetic. Just wondering, does she have a breathing problem or condition? 

I don't think so, it just seems like she hasn't mastered the whole breathing while singing thing. She often sings while breathing out and that's why it sounds like she's out of breath. I think there is a term for that type of singing but I am not sure.

Ignore the spoilers..

tumblr_inline_nw2ogrO2MT1src48i_500.gif

2016-01-04 00_18_50-Instagram photo taken by Venus Angelic - INK361 - Opera.png

Edited by Skyleigh

Posted

I don't think so, it just seems like she hasn't mastered the whole breathing while singing thing. She often sings while breathing out and that's why it sounds like she's out of breath.

I hope she improves for her next album. Alot of girls are starting to copy that sound and it can be annoying. Especially when it's super breathy

Posted

I love her songs but personally I think she sounds pretty shit and very flat live without all of the echo effects.

Decide for yourself.. 

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I had to keep pausing it because it was so bad at certain points because ohmygod I wish I knew how to explain the correct/professional way in detail how off she is

She seems like she doesn't know what sound she wants to go for that particular set and just wings it from the start and "finds her place/sound" by the time the chorus hits, so the sound never stay consistent/similar throughout a single song. It's pretty evident in that last video and I had to exit out because she kept "shaking" (? dunno how to explain it) and holding notes/words to the point she loses her breath (seems like she takes short breaths between every few words - something you're not supposed to do) when some of them seem unnecessary to hold/shake and it just sounds so off. It's like, either she isn't trying at all (her being super flat) or she's trying too hard and she's been doing this for a while I don't understand??? 

Posted

She sound nice on The Voice...

but after clicking on those links Sky has provided, I'm kinda having second thoughts....

Posted

She sound nice on The Voice...

but after clicking on those links Sky has provided, I'm kinda having second thoughts....

I love your signature btw 

Posted

I love your signature btw 

Why thank you lol! 

Posted

I love her songs but personally I think she sounds pretty shit and very flat live without all of the echo effects.

Decide for yourself.. 

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I don't think the live version of dollhouse is terrible or anything, but she sounds a little more raw and her voice cracks a few times I think. also the backup band in the onesies looking like babies is really kind of gross. which is why I mentioned it seems like she's following ómg popular'trends, because that kind of shit is too tumblr for me (also Miley Cyrus did this kind of shit in her bb talk vid or whatever).

Posted

I don't think the live version of dollhouse is terrible or anything, but she sounds a little more raw and her voice cracks a few times I think. also the backup band in the onesies looking like babies is really kind of gross. which is why I mentioned it seems like she's following ómg popular'trends, because that kind of shit is too tumblr for me (also Miley Cyrus did this kind of shit in her bb talk vid or whatever).

Yeah..when I saw her on IG for the first time, I thought it was gross. I love her music, but it is so original that it seems unoriginal. I think she mistakes disgusting for being creepy. Her music videos aren't that bad. It's real life and pictures that I don't like.

Posted

Yeah..when I saw her on IG for the first time, I thought it was gross. I love her music, but it is so original that it seems unoriginal. I think she mistakes disgusting for being creepy. Her music videos aren't that bad. It's real life and pictures that I don't like.

she probably doesn't really 100% understand the 'creepy' aesthetic, so she's mixing it with a bunch of other things and it's just turned into a hot mess. there are different kinds of creepy, there are the 'omg so edgy' creepy kids, and the 'omg gawffik' kids, and then the '2 spoopy5me' crowd, but I really have no idea where she got 'I'LL JUST USE BABY SHIT' from, because that's kind of seen more along the lines of like, pedo pandering shit.

Posted

she probably doesn't really 100% understand the 'creepy' aesthetic, so she's mixing it with a bunch of other things and it's just turned into a hot mess. there are different kinds of creepy, there are the 'omg so edgy' creepy kids, and the 'omg gawffik' kids, and then the '2 spoopy5me' crowd, but I really have no idea where she got 'I'LL JUST USE BABY SHIT' from, because that's kind of seen more along the lines of like, pedo pandering shit.

She was probably inspired by tumblr and the lolita/harajuku fashions. Also, American Horror Story is very popular among kids so she could have been inspired by that too. America doesn't really focus on the creepiness and depth of things and just focuses on gore. The baby aesthetic was actually doll at first, but it evolved into baby. I really like her and she's still cute, it's just that I can't tell if she is playing a character or being herself. She said she had no problems growing up, so why does she act crazy? Is that just Crybaby's character? Or is she trying to be interesting and different so she can get a bigger fanbase? 

Posted

She was probably inspired by tumblr and the lolita/harajuku fashions. Also, American Horror Story is very popular among kids so she could have been inspired by that too. America doesn't really focus on the creepiness and depth of things and just focuses on gore. The baby aesthetic was actually doll at first, but it evolved into baby. I really like her and she's still cute, it's just that I can't tell if she is playing a character or being herself. She said she had no problems growing up, so why does she act crazy? Is that just Crybaby's character? Or is she trying to be interesting and different so she can get a bigger fanbase? 

idk man, like I said, the whole baby thing just reeks of pedo pandering bullshit. that's probably where the biggest fanbase comes from.

Posted

idk man, like I said, the whole baby thing just reeks of pedo pandering bullshit. that's probably where the biggest fanbase comes from.

I wouldn't exactly say that. I don't think she is sexualising herself in any aspect. Even if that may be her biggest fanbase, I don't think it is pedo pandering bullshit. I think it's because she combines innocence and corruption together. She's basically sugarcoating. I hope she changes the baby thing though, it really isn't a good way to get fans.

Posted

I really hate when people call new "fashion icon" she dress like all the jfashion wannabes out there. She is nice at least it's just her fans that buys her because "she is not like the others" when it comes to style lmfao.

Posted

I really hate when people call new "fashion icon" she dress like all the jfashion wannabes out there. She is nice at least it's just her fans that buys her because "she is not like the others" when it comes to style lmfao.

If I'm not mistaken she use to wear lolita brand dresses but the lolita community kept criticizing her "coords" so she came out and called it "baby" style. (which pissed them off even more but she's never claimed to be rori desu so I guess it's just her thing.)

If you want to see an example of pedo-pandering I would look at IU's song where she received major backlash for it. I don't see Melanie's baby concept as sexual at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Gtm4-Ax2U

Posted

Personally, I love her music and concept! Dark/cute doll-like is a really difficult concept to carry, actually. I think she's doing it well... my hopes are, to her keep working with that concept and not changing into another more comercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVv9R1ZR84

I love this song, really.