• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Melanie Martinez

1865 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I'm new to this thread but I've read every single page for the past few days.

OT: This has been mentioned a little in page 107, the presence of weed throughout K-12. It strikes me when I listen to Lunchbox Friends, because of the lyrics:

Do you think she's talking about a real life experience, for example her relationship with Stella Rose ? I know they weren't best friends, but Melanie smoking weed is one of the reasons why Stella stopped being friends with her, so these lyrics reminded me of that. 

?mid=&wid=51824&sid=&tid=7966&rid=LOADED?mid=&wid=51824&sid=&tid=7966&rid=BEFORE?mid=&wid=51824&sid=&tid=7966&rid=FINISH

?mid=&wid=51824&sid=&tid=7966&rid=LOADED?mid=&wid=51824&sid=&tid=7966&rid=BEFORE?mid=&wid=51824&sid=&tid=7966&rid=FINISH

i thought of stella a lot during K-12, especially whenever the “mother” character was mentioned.

(also even though i found out about stella through melanie, i’m happy to see her business  is flourishing, especially as i remember a few insta fans mention how without melanie stella isn’t shit)

Posted (edited)

catching up on this thread and just want to throw in my thoughts. tldr at the end. :alpacacrush:

i feel like melanie is the perfect example of a digital age artist who really failed to use the internet to her advantage. i still remember when i first heard about her because her dollhouse video was being posted on tumblr, so this was years and years ago. and she was perfect for tumblr at the time, a woman of color who was singing about 'real' issues with a strong aesthetic? people went wild for her and she had what a lot of musicians crave which is genuine buzz and interest online.

then crybaby came out and melanie had clearly decided to base her music around a persona and aesthetic. there's nothing wrong with that, lots of artists do it. but i know to a lot of people her persona didn't really work and was kind of uncomfortable. so the persona she had chosen was polarizing instead of having broad appeal. (personally i think it would have been so much better if she chose a doll persona off the heels of dollhouse rather than an actual small child, but oh well.)

at that point, melanie had created a situation for herself where the fans that stuck around really loved that specific aesthetic, but that specific aesthetic was exactly what alienated a lot of other people. she painted herself into a corner, where in order to keep her current fans she had to stick with that persona, but it made it really hard for her to appeal to anyone outside of teenage tumblr/twitter stans who shop at hot topic.

but there are a lot of artists who only really appeal to those type of fans and still make it, so she could have been alright. except for the fact that her second album was delayed for four years. to be an artist in the digital age, you need consistent releases. (for an example of someone who's doing this well, i think of kim petras -- she isn't super famous but her name tends to come up a lot because she is constantly putting out new music.) instead, melanie basically went silent and disappeared off the face of the earth, leaving her fans to move on to new music. you can only listen to one album for so long before you want something else.

and then of course you have the rape allegations, which no i am not going to get into, as people have said on this page it has been discussed to death and adding my opinion isn't going to change anything. all i want to say about that is it makes it so people don't wear her shirts or talk about her music in public. people have her twitter/instagram/youtube channel blocked so it doesn't get recommended to them. all the stuff that musicians now use to get people to listen to their music is not as effective for her. hell, i didn't even know she released new music until i read this thread and i am very active on social media in the music scene. 

she is now simply one of those musicians who has a decent amount of followers on social media (although i believe a not insignificant amount of her twitter/instagram followers are dead accounts), but who's music is ignored by everyone who didn't already like her. that might be normal for artists when they get to a fourth or fifth album, but not their second. it's been embarrassing to read through this thread and find out she put out a literal movie for this album that i have never heard of in my life.

(a small personal note, i work with teenagers who talk all day long about shit like this that they're excited for. i haven't heard any of them mention this album or melanie in general. last time i heard her name at work was probably...2015 or 2016.)

tldr: melanie could have had it all as a digital age pop princess but she ultimately didn't market herself in the right way, waited way too long to put out new music, and became even more polarizing after the rape allegations. now she's just a girl who thinks having 6 million followers on instagram actually means anything when half of those followers are probably dead accounts and bots and no one but people who already stanned her have heard her new album.

I mean yeah

Comparing her with someone more of her speed and on her level Hasely, Hasely while most people are starting to lose interest in her and what not, she too just put out a sophomore album and is putting herself out there to make sure she is still relevant. Her collabing with BTS did her some favors too.

Mel is just relying on her rabbid younger fans to keep her relevant as well as the fact that she has now put out a movie. She done nothing to try to reinvent herself, to change or experiment with her music like countless band or musicians have done before her .Nothing. She is banking on this "crybaby" gimmick and people real fans of her are already bored of it.

idk if there is a compare and contrast of her being on the voice till now but when she was on there you can tell she had the drive to want to do more now she kinda stagnated. 

Edited by Fairyduster

Posted

Mel.thumb.JPG.6babf772f8eb08ac3e6c69647eMel2.thumb.JPG.634822f1fc6638151bf26b8f8

*sigh*

Posted

Mel.thumb.JPG.6babf772f8eb08ac3e6c69647eMel2.thumb.JPG.634822f1fc6638151bf26b8f8

*sigh*

it totally wasn’t because nobody else wants to work with her out of fear of her assaulting them or treating them like shit!!! Because Gina Frey, Stella, Timothy Heller, and Maddie Carina totally haven’t come out and said she was unprofessional and/or creepy!!! I totally trust the hair stylist who gets paid thousands of dollars to work with her and turns comments off on posts about her, because there’s no motive for him to keep his mouth shut about her abusive behavior that he is clearly aware of!!! 

Posted

*sigh*

This just proves the point of how stagnated she is with her ideas.

Posted

The budget for K-12 was approx. $6,000,000 dollars and only made $347,000 at the box office. LOL. 

yeah when i looked up the gross on imdb a week or so ago i was shocked at this. but remember, this doesn’t include what she gets from YT views. she only opened in it.. a handful of theatres, right? so it’s obvious they knew that the main portion of gross would come from the box office. they must have gained more than i realized they would from YT. 

Posted

It doesn't really scare me, more like makes me uncomfortable? Like I saw a post of her casually sucking on a pacifier and my first thought was "gross"

But I haven't written her off completely. I believe Cry Baby is just a concept album with a character, like Marina and the Diamond's Electra Heart, so I'm going under the assumption that maybe next time she'll do something completely different and really wow me because I like her voice and she seems nice, I just dont like this concept lol

This is literally from 2015 but I just think it’s funny how nothing about Melanie’s aesthetic has changed yet people have wanted her to spice it up since the infancy of her career lol

Posted

melanie’s label have apparently made her take the movie down probably as it isn’t making profit and that’s why there’s now “music videos” 

personally i think mel should of done something like fall out boys 12 music video movie... it keeps the fans waiting and gets them excited for the next instalment 

Posted

melanie’s label have apparently made her take the movie down probably as it isn’t making profit and that’s why there’s now “music videos” 

Yeah she posted a message about it (screenshot in the spoiler)

MelanieYTB.thumb.JPG.f7ad200c124698b4aba

Posted

Yeah she posted a message about it (screenshot in the spoiler)

Hidden Content

should have kept it free it not worth paying for

Posted

The movie was ultimately a commercial failure. All the big premiers were superfluous. I'm sure more revenue was made from popcorn sales at the theaters than the film at hand. 

Changing the topic, I was watching footage of Bjork performing live from last year and it dawned on me how truly talented she is with all of the stage props and visuals within her own aesthetic. She's what Melanie wishes she could be, but simply can't be. 

Posted

I made an account just to say Melanie Martinez is absolute trash.

Ignoring her the artist for a second- let's focus on the fact that a lot of her music romanticizes things that should not be romanticized. I will only be talking about Crybaby since that's all I've heard and I refuse to listen to K-12, However I've heard that it isn't any better and she romanticizes even more illnesses. 

She romanticizes pedophilia and kidnapping, craziness, schizophrenia, and probably more but those are the ones I noticed personally. 

Some of her music has good messages or is good but unfortunately you can't ignore the heavy themes of mental illnesses being treated as "aesthetic"

Going back to her music videos it's clear she likes to sexualize CGL and also associates Lolita and pastel colours with CGL and just childish things in general which is something that people already associate it with and the entire Lolita community has to deal with it- it's not fun. 

And remember she admitted to the rape allegations. One may say "oh separate creator from creation" and that might be true for like classical works where you aren't really supporting the craft but rather just admiring it. perhaps the person was racist but was in a different time. Or perhaps that person is just really bad at trying to be inclusive but has good intentions just carries them out wrong. That's fine.

But she raped her friend and that's Not okay I'm sorry but I can't support a rapist. We have such double standards when it comes to this sort of thing. We are quick to cancel guys for being even a bit controversial (I.e. James Charles who ended up being innocent and really only just creepy) But when it comes to girls- especially those artists we like- we aren't ready to take a step back from our Biases and think critically.

Posted

I made an account just to say Melanie Martinez is absolute trash.

Ignoring her the artist for a second- let's focus on the fact that a lot of her music romanticizes things that should not be romanticized. I will only be talking about Crybaby since that's all I've heard and I refuse to listen to K-12, However I've heard that it isn't any better and she romanticizes even more illnesses. 

She romanticizes pedophilia and kidnapping, craziness, schizophrenia, and probably more but those are the ones I noticed personally. 

Some of her music has good messages or is good but unfortunately you can't ignore the heavy themes of mental illnesses being treated as "aesthetic"

Going back to her music videos it's clear she likes to sexualize CGL and also associates Lolita and pastel colours with CGL and just childish things in general which is something that people already associate it with and the entire Lolita community has to deal with it- it's not fun. 

And remember she admitted to the rape allegations. One may say "oh separate creator from creation" and that might be true for like classical works where you aren't really supporting the craft but rather just admiring it. perhaps the person was racist but was in a different time. Or perhaps that person is just really bad at trying to be inclusive but has good intentions just carries them out wrong. That's fine.

But she raped her friend and that's Not okay I'm sorry but I can't support a rapist. We have such double standards when it comes to this sort of thing. We are quick to cancel guys for being even a bit controversial (I.e. James Charles who ended up being innocent and really only just creepy) But when it comes to girls- especially those artists we like- we aren't ready to take a step back from our Biases and think critically.

exactly! as someone in the lolita community, it sucks how we're associated with ddlg and stuff like that because i find that absolutely digusting. people in the lolita community will dress up in lolita and melanie's fans wll constantly be like "they're like melanie martinez!!!" or "they're copying melanie martinez!!!" she's a really bad person to associate us with :((