• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Melanie Martinez

1718 posts in this topic

Posted

It doesn't really scare me, more like makes me uncomfortable? Like I saw a post of her casually sucking on a pacifier and my first thought was "gross"

But I haven't written her off completely. I believe Cry Baby is just a concept album with a character, like Marina and the Diamond's Electra Heart, so I'm going under the assumption that maybe next time she'll do something completely different and really wow me because I like her voice and she seems nice, I just dont like this concept lol

This is literally from 2015 but I just think it’s funny how nothing about Melanie’s aesthetic has changed yet people have wanted her to spice it up since the infancy of her career lol

Posted

melanie’s label have apparently made her take the movie down probably as it isn’t making profit and that’s why there’s now “music videos” 

personally i think mel should of done something like fall out boys 12 music video movie... it keeps the fans waiting and gets them excited for the next instalment 

Posted

melanie’s label have apparently made her take the movie down probably as it isn’t making profit and that’s why there’s now “music videos” 

Yeah she posted a message about it (screenshot in the spoiler)

MelanieYTB.thumb.JPG.f7ad200c124698b4aba

Posted

Yeah she posted a message about it (screenshot in the spoiler)

Hidden Content

should have kept it free it not worth paying for

Posted

The movie was ultimately a commercial failure. All the big premiers were superfluous. I'm sure more revenue was made from popcorn sales at the theaters than the film at hand. 

Changing the topic, I was watching footage of Bjork performing live from last year and it dawned on me how truly talented she is with all of the stage props and visuals within her own aesthetic. She's what Melanie wishes she could be, but simply can't be. 

Posted

I made an account just to say Melanie Martinez is absolute trash.

Ignoring her the artist for a second- let's focus on the fact that a lot of her music romanticizes things that should not be romanticized. I will only be talking about Crybaby since that's all I've heard and I refuse to listen to K-12, However I've heard that it isn't any better and she romanticizes even more illnesses. 

She romanticizes pedophilia and kidnapping, craziness, schizophrenia, and probably more but those are the ones I noticed personally. 

Some of her music has good messages or is good but unfortunately you can't ignore the heavy themes of mental illnesses being treated as "aesthetic"

Going back to her music videos it's clear she likes to sexualize CGL and also associates Lolita and pastel colours with CGL and just childish things in general which is something that people already associate it with and the entire Lolita community has to deal with it- it's not fun. 

And remember she admitted to the rape allegations. One may say "oh separate creator from creation" and that might be true for like classical works where you aren't really supporting the craft but rather just admiring it. perhaps the person was racist but was in a different time. Or perhaps that person is just really bad at trying to be inclusive but has good intentions just carries them out wrong. That's fine.

But she raped her friend and that's Not okay I'm sorry but I can't support a rapist. We have such double standards when it comes to this sort of thing. We are quick to cancel guys for being even a bit controversial (I.e. James Charles who ended up being innocent and really only just creepy) But when it comes to girls- especially those artists we like- we aren't ready to take a step back from our Biases and think critically.

Posted

I made an account just to say Melanie Martinez is absolute trash.

Ignoring her the artist for a second- let's focus on the fact that a lot of her music romanticizes things that should not be romanticized. I will only be talking about Crybaby since that's all I've heard and I refuse to listen to K-12, However I've heard that it isn't any better and she romanticizes even more illnesses. 

She romanticizes pedophilia and kidnapping, craziness, schizophrenia, and probably more but those are the ones I noticed personally. 

Some of her music has good messages or is good but unfortunately you can't ignore the heavy themes of mental illnesses being treated as "aesthetic"

Going back to her music videos it's clear she likes to sexualize CGL and also associates Lolita and pastel colours with CGL and just childish things in general which is something that people already associate it with and the entire Lolita community has to deal with it- it's not fun. 

And remember she admitted to the rape allegations. One may say "oh separate creator from creation" and that might be true for like classical works where you aren't really supporting the craft but rather just admiring it. perhaps the person was racist but was in a different time. Or perhaps that person is just really bad at trying to be inclusive but has good intentions just carries them out wrong. That's fine.

But she raped her friend and that's Not okay I'm sorry but I can't support a rapist. We have such double standards when it comes to this sort of thing. We are quick to cancel guys for being even a bit controversial (I.e. James Charles who ended up being innocent and really only just creepy) But when it comes to girls- especially those artists we like- we aren't ready to take a step back from our Biases and think critically.

exactly! as someone in the lolita community, it sucks how we're associated with ddlg and stuff like that because i find that absolutely digusting. people in the lolita community will dress up in lolita and melanie's fans wll constantly be like "they're like melanie martinez!!!" or "they're copying melanie martinez!!!" she's a really bad person to associate us with :((

Posted

Yeah, I said I like the perfume. So what? Does that mean I agree with her actions and support her as a person? No, it doesn’t. And if you had read any of my other posts in this topic, you’d know that I used to be a fan of her music, but she no longer has an ounce of my support. 

And about the baby clothes thing: In my opinion, we should want to protect the legitimacy of this thread and the information in it by weeding out obviously exaggerated claims that are not 100% fact. 

But I don’t need to defend myself, or explain myself to you:alpacaheadshake: 

I agree. Got her perfume for Christmas (ordered and shipped before allegations) but I don’t like her or her actions at all. It’s not defending her to say any of this. However it’s lowkey funny to think of Melanie just chilling in a diaper like a weirdo