• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Melanie Martinez

1865 posts in this topic

Posted

just finished watching the k12 film. tbh i like the analogies she used to reflect on problems in society, like with strawberry shortcake, show n tell, etc... but overall, everything is just plain boring :// the film is just too messy, like everything is all over the place. 

out of all the songs, i only like highschool sweethearts. (and the actor who played Ben in the film is attractive.)

Posted (edited)

just finished watching the k12 film. tbh i like the analogies she used to reflect on problems in society, like with strawberry shortcake, show n tell, etc... but overall, everything is just plain boring :// the film is just too messy, like everything is all over the place. 

out of all the songs, i only like highschool sweethearts. (and the actor who played Ben in the film is attractive.)

yes, same here. the songs one after another don’t make a lot of sense? and I think the music videos would have been stronger separately uploaded, not as a whole movie.

the music videos seems out of place and jumbled, the acting was absolutely terrible and the plot didn’t even make sense. they have powers all of a sudden? and what the hell happens to some of the characters, they just never appear again, like the ghosts? why were ghosts there in the first place? what happens to kelly the bully at the end? who is that random golden door guardian lady?

the videos for some of the songs are boring and uneventful, especially Recess. personally I thought Recess would be a “yay we’re free from the school” video but instead we just got more dancing. for HSSH i was expecting something about Ben and Crybaby but instead we got something that has nothing to do with the movie.

and wow strawberry shortcake is damn awful. that chorus, the verses, her singing, what happened? it seems so poorly made

but I 100% agree the actor that plays Ben is super cute :alpacacrush: unfortunately he doesnt really  get a lot of screentime regarding his relationship with crybaby. and I think the actor for Kelly the bully did a good job

all in all id rate it 4/10. i do like the set design, some costumes and the color palette but everything else was disappointing.

Edited by clown
post isn’t showing?

Posted

The movie was a full-blown mess!

There were two scenes that shed light on two very important issues (The true meaning of the Anthem and Transgender discrimination) and they only had a few lines and... that was it. The transgender teacher just sat there like, "Hi, I'm transgender! I want to change my name!" And after the principal fired her, Melanie cut RIGHT to the song. The teacher was never seen again. Neither was the boy. They were used just for Melanie to say something and it felt so cheap and disgusting to me. 

Posted

watching the movie rn and god the dialogue is so unnatural, it's trying to mimic the almost bluntness of tone in wes anderson films but missing the mark completely

Posted

The album definitely interesting though I will give it that, I can definitely see the appeal towards a younger audience since some of this does provoke some old feelings I had back when I was still in school, but the mix of the sexual themes, it kinda clashes too weirdly to work

yeahhhh.... but that was kinda expected (at least from my point of view...)
I think she actually aims to be disturbing, in that sense. Maybe she thinks it's edgy, or pushes boundaries? Or maybe she thinks there's nothing wrong with it? I dunno. Kinda not my taste, but I don't buy what she sells anyway.

tbh i like the analogies she used to reflect on problems in society, like with strawberry shortcake, show n tell, etc... but overall, everything is just plain boring :// the film is just too messy, like everything is all over the place. 

I agree! Cool analogies... amateur execution.

watching the movie rn and god the dialogue is so unnatural, it's trying to mimic the almost bluntness of tone in wes anderson films but missing the mark completely

yeah, I was gonna say it mimics that prolonged Quentin Tarantino vibe, but poorly.

I dunno. It'd be cool to see something different? This was like Cry Baby 2.0

Posted

all the songs sound about the same and they wouldn't really make sense if you listen without the movie. i like "highschool sweethearts" probably bc it sounds like a song off crybaby lol.

tbh i like the cinematography, the colors and the whole pastel aesthetic, the movie is really good in that sense. and the building they shot this is is BEAUTIFUL lol. but besides that everything is all over the place, it's really annoying how the plot (if there even is one) is put on hold for the songs, i just started skipping parts towards the end bc it got incredibly boring lol

Posted

Am I the only one who thinks she uses cuss words on all the wrong parts? Normally you cuss to emphasize something but to me it feels like she just throws them in her songs to be edgy. On top of that, a lot of the lyrics are awkward and don't really fit. Like why does she keep mentioning some girl's fat ass? I'm so confused.

Posted

I watched the movie tbh it was really beautiful but it didn’t really feel like a movie of that makes sense it just seemed like a really long music video. 

Also sometime the songs felt really random like the lyrics don’t make sense with what was happening 

i liked it though I wouldn’t watch it again if prefer to watch the music videos as they are, separate 

Posted

I'm stunned she put the movie up for free on youtube, tbh. Might watch eventually~

Posted

Someone in this thread made the suckerpunch comparison and i can see it a little in this Film

It works better as a YT movie tbh. 

People spend your money how you want but i feel bad for the people going ot see this in theaters.

Posted

I also felt that some songs just don’t work in the movie but overall it wasn't bad, some actors were actually good too, it was just messy I guess, but it would probably be longer  and they decided to keep it like this.

Posted (edited)

I stopped after one hour of watch, kuddos to her for putting it for free on youtube

The visuals are beautiful, however not a big fan of grown up women playing as pre-teens (even younger?)

Made me feel a bit weird sometimes, especially during the first song. Coincidentally, my favourite visual was the less pastel one (the orange juice scene)

I liked some of the messages and analogies (I liked the ones behind the orange juice scene's and the rebellion against the principal) however, I think that how some of them got handled was a bit odd and almost "dated" in a way? It got me wondered if she really understood the social issues that were raised in her songs, or if she just pulled out a good old mainstream artist's "social justice bandwagon" jump.

Some lines were ignorant, "i read a twitter thread about it once guys, which means it must be true" tier, but it fitted the "13 yo" aesthetic (I don't think it was intentional tho)

I didn't watch it whole because despite looking pretty, it lacked of coherence and the songs all sound the same

Edited by Docteur

Posted

HER ACTING IS SO BAD 

Posted

HER ACTING IS SO BAD 

tbh, her acting was okay - like not as bad as i thought. 

buut yungelitas acting was terrible or if i'm allowed to say so; straight up cringeworthy :/

Posted

tbh, her acting was okay - like not as bad as i thought. 

buut yungelitas acting was terrible or if i'm allowed to say so; straight up cringeworthy :/

i did not notice that that was yungelita at all lmao what

the dialogs are very stiff and unnatural bc they all seem amateur