• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Melanie Martinez

1720 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

She was on the third season of The Voice, and now she's releasing her first album, Cry Baby. I believe she's heavily influenced by Lana del Rey and Marina and the Diamonds, so no wonder I really like her.

My fave songs atm are Sippy Cup and Cake. :alpacacrush:

However, one thing that bothers me is she collaborated with Doe Deere/Lime Crime to promote her album, it seems? Lime Crime's lipsticks appeared in her first music video for Dollhouse, which released a year ago.

I'm not sure if they're just promoting each other, or Melanie just bought her stuff before she got famous and now that she is, Doe took advantage of that?

If she hasn't realized how shitty she is already, I hope she does and would stop promoting her. There was a make-up contest for Melanie's fans where they had to use the lipstick she made with Doe.. :alpacaworry: And it would be terrible if her fans kept buying from Lime Crime and end up scammed or put their health on risk.

Edited by kotori

Posted

I like the songs but i think that she is just a normal singer who is using the "kawaii thing" to be famous.

She is using lolita fashion in some videos, no? 

Posted

I like the songs but i think that she is just a normal singer who is using the "kawaii thing" to be famous.

She is using lolita fashion in some videos, no? 

Yeah, kinda, but Imo her style of lolita looks really basic. Sort of unpolished, too. In her dollhouse music video, she wore a jsk with no blouse, and it just didn't look classy 

Posted

Overrated imo but I guess for good reason as Japanese culture and fashion (or just the "kawaii" aspect) is still somewhat popular

She is inspired by casual lolita fashion, but I think somewhere she clearly or indirectly stated it's not lolita (there was some drama where she called it "childish" or some shit that was offensive to lolitas when misquoted), so that's good. Only issue is that it still might influence ppl into thinking that's all lolita fashion is about (no petti, no blouse, split colored hair, lack of classiness). 

Oh and she shops at Spree Picky. She wasn't originally sponsored i believe but now she is and I doubt Spree Picky originally knew who she was but they use her images as stock photos as their selling point lol 

http://www.spreepicky.com/products/kawaii-rabbit-long-ears-fluff-coat-high-quality-coat-only-sp130089

and they credit everybody involved w/ that photo in their description so they mention her using limecrime .-. ugh

Posted

I spotted the Jfashion influence right away when I saw her but her look is very unpolished. Her songs are super quality, though. Pity Party is my favorite but don't enjoy seeing her videos.

Posted

Her new album reminds me a lot of Electra Heart, so I can see how she's really popular on tumblr :lamaheadshake: I really like the songs "training wheels" and "tag you're it"

Posted

I like her music a lot, I don't like the lime crime thing  at all though. And I noticed the jfashion influence as well!

Posted

Her songs are ok  and I like her voice but I find the theme/aesthetics of her album to be kind of, idk distasteful? I'm just not into the 'baby/child mixing with adult themes' aesthetic at all,

I am exactly the same way, I always find it a tad odd when people use that weird/broken child aesthetic, it scares me tbh.

Posted

I am exactly the same way, I always find it a tad odd when people use that weird/broken child aesthetic, it scares me tbh.

It doesn't really scare me, more like makes me uncomfortable? Like I saw a post of her casually sucking on a pacifier and my first thought was "gross"

But I haven't written her off completely. I believe Cry Baby is just a concept album with a character, like Marina and the Diamond's Electra Heart, so I'm going under the assumption that maybe next time she'll do something completely different and really wow me because I like her voice and she seems nice, I just dont like this concept lol

Posted

It doesn't really scare me, more like makes me uncomfortable? Like I saw a post of her casually sucking on a pacifier and my first thought was "gross"

But I haven't written her off completely. I believe Cry Baby is just a concept album with a character, like Marina and the Diamond's Electra Heart, so I'm going under the assumption that maybe next time she'll do something completely different and really wow me because I like her voice and she seems nice, I just dont like this concept lol

yesuncomfortable was probably a better way to phrase it haha! If she moves on to another concept I'm sure my opinion will change too because she does have a good voice.

Posted (edited)

Her music is incredible. I absolutely love that is has depth and meaning, but regarding her fashion.. I dislike that people are saying that it is a new fashion. It is basically Creepy/Cute Harajuku or 'Kawaii' Fashion, to call it Lolita would be wrong. Other than that, she is an incredibly great musician and creative person. One of my favorite artists, other than Marina and the Diamonds.

melanie-martinez-cry-baby.thumb.jpg.376cmelanie-martinez-giveaway.thumb.jpg.3db8Screen-Shot-2014-08-14-at-3.25.51-PM.thumelanie-martinez.thumb.jpg.053aa43d6b4datumblr_nuxnmbAq051uc8edso1_500.thumb.jpgMelanie-Martinez-Press-Photo-2-Credit-Em

Edited by n.b.dy

Posted

I think I heard one of her songs, and it just seemed like tumblr aesthetic in song form to me. Pretty shitty that she'd support Lime Crime as well, considering all the shit that's gone down with them. Then again there are some MUA's who still use her products, and I still follow them. To each their own I suppose.

Posted

I don't know about the tumblr thing, I haven't been there for a while. I do like the story aspect to her songs, all songs should tell stories in some way or form. Also, her singing could use improvement, but so many artists these days don't even know what is good or bad anymore they just use aesthetics, hype, and auto-tune  instead (as long as the crowd likes them it's fine). She used to sound decent on The Voice but now she seems less energetic. Just wondering, does she have a breathing problem or condition?