• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

violin advice and tips!

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone! :DI just bought my violin today and I am planning to start and taking lessons. I want to play, I am excited to start playing! Does anyone else play the violin too?:alpacacrush: I would like to get some tips from fellow violin players :) I bought a pretty new model, it was $550 and I like the sound. When I play the strings with the bow, it doesn’t sound as smooth to me as it should be. Is it because I need to apply rosin better, the way I’m holding, or is it just me? 

also my shoulder and bone sort of hurts even though I only experimenting it? Is that normal for the first time? :alpacaconfused:

Also when I try to play C and B notes (that are on A string) I hear no violin but just terrible sounds instead even though I think I am placing my fingers on the right string? Help! ;;

Edited by Kairi

Posted

I used to play ages ago. (I won’t be of much help, I got lazy and stopped playing eventually...  :alpacaworry: It’s a wonderful instrument though, I hope you’ll manage to keep up your motivation.)

If you’re actually going to take lessons I’m sure your teacher will be of more help than any forum. E.g. telling you if you’re holding your instrument right. That’s a tough one online. And then especially here where you shouldn’t post any photos. That said there’s probably better places to ask (never used one but there must be some specific forums) - that is if you want to use the time till your lessons start and just can’t wait. :) 

One thing I wanted to actually advice you on though. Well, ‘advice’... my collarbone used to start hurting after I practiced for a while and the solution for me was a shoulder rest. Assuming you don’t have one yet. There’s a ton of different ones, also depending on how much you want to spend but for me those helped a lot. Mine looked like this, but maybe just go to a shop and actually try them out. It wouldn’t help if you found the shoulder rest just as uncomfortable. 

Posted

Hello, I also started playing only when I was a grown up, and I can only agree with popsicle: You need a teacher, at least for the beginning. If you try to learn all by yourself it happens very easily to get used to do something the wrong way, and it is very hard to “unlearn” it afterwards and learn to do it right. 

The violin is one of the worst instruments for beginners, because you have to pay attention to so many desalts: your pose, how you hold the bow and move your bow arm, how to hold the violin (I also do recommend a good shoulder rest!), how to place your hand and fingers, how to relax your wrist,... the list goes on. But it is a ton of fun to make progress and learn! I wish you all the best!! 

Posted

Important is don't get frustrated too much with your slow progress, violin and string instruments in general are a long and hard road to success. And you will probably sound... Iffy... The first few years. Patience! Also when it comes to practice quality OVER quantity. better intense focused practice for 30 min than sluggish unfocused two hours session. And final advice. Be patient about learning vibrato, don't do it if your teacher said you're not ready yet. I know it's tempting though ;) 

Posted

If your shoulder is still hurting then I do recommend using something to support it! I use a a cheap shoulder rest but sometimes it can become uncomfortable so I use a towel instead. I've seen people use sponges, blocks of foam, and even small plushies to hold up their violin. Anything works as long as you are comfortable holding your violin with just your shoulder and chin. :)

As for playing, control is everything! I would argue your bowing hand is the most important when playing so make sure to pay attention on how you're holding your bow, the amount of pressure you're using, the angle your bow is hitting the string... everything! Master your movement in your bowing wrist, elbow, and forearm and things should be easier. 

Good luck! Violin is a toughie, but once you master it you can basically play any other string instrument! :)