• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Fujoshis, yaoi and fetishization

91 posts in this topic

Posted

Thoughts on yaoi and fujos? Are they as bad as those guys who fetishize lesbians?
The fact that yaoi is made for a straight (girl) audience is ugly itself and I believe fujos fetishize gay men.
From what I've seen a lot...
What's with all those fujoshis calling themselves ''closeted fujoshi'' or a ''fujoshi in the closet''? 
What's with all those fujos asking for help on how to tell their family that they like yaoi and are a fujoshi? (Seriously wtf?)
What's with all those fujoshis calling their ships ''sinners''?
Whats with all those fujos watching gay movies meant for gay men?
Watching tv shows just because there are gay characters?
Calling gay movies or tv shows ''yaoi movies&shows'' ???
Shipping guys in real life and creeping on gay guys?
Wishing they were boys so they could be a gay guy(or more like a cute uke uwu), have sex with a man and live like they were in a yaoi??
(To the point that some started believing they are trans when they arent and just want to live like in a yaoi and (straight girls) pretending to be gay guys?).
I'm so done 

Posted

Cringey and creepy, tbh. Especially when they ship living, breathing people in real life. :alpacadone:

What's with all those fujoshis calling themselves ''closeted fujoshi'' or a ''fujoshi in the closet''? 
What's with all those fujos asking for help on how to tell their family that they like yaoi and are a fujoshi? (Seriously wtf?)

I've never had the displeasure of running into anyone who treated their obsession as if it were some sexuality. :alpacaworry:

Posted (edited)

i'm a gay guy and i don't have much of a problem with yaoi fan girls. they're definitely gross and creepy sometimes but i don't hate them because they're harmless for the most part.

society thinks gay male relationships are gross, and tbh it feels validating sometimes when there's straight women who think gay stuff is hot lol. i think it's worse when straight men fetishize lesbians though, because lesbians are already over-sexualized in society.

Edited by lei

Posted

I've never really got to know anyone who liked yaoi, but seeing how the characters in anime/manga would get turned on by the thought of their male friends being lovers didn't really feel right to me. Of course these are just fictional people and things are probably exaggerated, but it still definitely feels wrong

Posted (edited)

I never quite understood why it's so bad to fantasize about m/m relationships when you're a straight girl. I don't see how it is wrong. Can someone explain to me why most people think it's gross?

Edited by Miuna

Posted

I think the reason why I like yaoi it's because I'm not comfortable with how women are usually portrayed in manga, but yeah most of yaoi fangirls are very creepy (like, asking in conventions to me and my boyfriend to "MAKE YAOI"????).

And also for example part of the Yuri on Ice fandom, calling it a yaoi anime like wtf dude just because there's a m/m relationship doesn't mean it's yaoi?? It's like calling hentai some anime where there's a canon straight couple idk.

Posted (edited)

I am a bisexual woman who enjoys both yaoi and yuri and I personally don't see any reason to stop heterosexual people from enjoying them as well as long as they don't go overboard with it. It is a form of fetishization, yes, but there is a difference between being a full on drooling "my hawt gay boys/lesbians are sinning UwU" maniac who confuses the gays in their fantasies with real life people and a person who is sensible enough to keep their fantasies in check (e.g. by supporting LGBT rights not because ”homosexual ships are so hot”, but because LGBT people also deserve basic human rights).

It is true that a lot of fujoshis take it too far though (especially the ones who are into the rapey/pedophilic kind of yaoi or the type where the uke looks more like a woman with a penis than an actual man).

Edited by JunkFood

Posted (edited)

This is a bit ranty sorry, but I used to read yaoi a lot when I was younger and something that bugged me was how obnoxiously thirsty some fujos were. If the characters weren't having sex by the second chapter all the comments would be something like, "This manga is too slow", "This is so boring is this even yaoi" and just so much whining from horny teenagers. Idk, if you want dicks on every single page I thought that that's what the smut label was used for in regards to yaoi manga? If you want to read endless streams of sex then okay, that's none of my business, just don't act so offended when a manga wants to tell its story or build its relationships before the characters go at it. 

They'd also go to shounen ai manga and say "bUT WheRE Is the sEX? What's the point?!" Maybe this behaviour isn't much of a big deal, but I think it's so annoying. It's almost impossible to take fujoshis seriously when this is how I know them. As for yaoi itself, a lot of it is so rapey and I'm just not comfortable with that. I know that some people are into reading that kind of thing or aren't bothered by it, but I don't understand why so much rape/assault exists in especially yaoi.

Edited by thespaghetti

Posted

I only think it becomes a problem when over-zealous fans spout in a muddled response their yaoi shippings to the point it feels like you're being smothered. I can't say much for fictional characters but I'm not sure how men irl feel about straight women getting turned on by their relationships that so happen to be a gay one.

To me, that is one of the most ironic things I've encountered on the internet...and irl... No really, a straight person having to come out of the closet...for having a fetish for men in a gay relationship...wtf?

Though women have often sexualized more heavily then men, and only recently has exposure of the male body has been so heavily sexualized. I don't mind that men are beng sexualized but it should be taken into account the kind of boundaries that exist. Sure shipping your two favorite fictional characters doesn't cause any harm, but actual gay men(or straight) irl become a bit problematic. Why does any relationship, in general, have to be fetishized?

Don't even get me started on the fact that somehow gay characters getting raped/assulted in yaoi mediums like fanfictions have become acceptable and 'hawt', the hell... And may I also add, why is it that it's mostly very young girls of at least twelve years of age and up that are so damn in-your-face about yaoi? No seriously, just because I don't think 'Yuri on Ice' is a good romance anime, doesn't mean I hate yaoi. I had to get rid of five different people from my life because their damn fujoshi-ness became unbearable, to the point that one of them was begging me to play a yaoi game with them and say the dialogue just because my voice sounded similar to one of the characters, alongside other strange activities...kill me... 

Posted

Don't even get me started on the fact that somehow gay characters getting raped/assulted in yaoi mediums like fanfictions have become acceptable and 'hawt', the hell...

THIS, what I mean when I say I like yaoi it's like I like shipping and reading stuff about those ships, but in general I can't stand anime that's expresely yaoi (like for example Junjou Romantica wtf I could just watch one episode 'cause a guy rapes another and then they're like yay nothing wrong happened). 

Another thing that I find extremely creepy is when fangirls romanticize Killing Stalking ??? one guy is abused both physically and mentally, raped, but as soon as his abuser fakes a bit of affection for the victim they're already like OMG YES OTP.

Posted (edited)

THIS, what I mean when I say I like yaoi it's like I like shipping and reading stuff about those ships, but in general I can't stand anime that's expresely yaoi (like for example Junjou Romantica wtf I could just watch one episode 'cause a guy rapes another and then they're like yay nothing wrong happened). 

Another thing that I find extremely creepy is when fangirls romanticize Killing Stalking ??? one guy is abused both physically and mentally, raped, but as soon as his abuser fakes a bit of affection for the victim they're already like OMG YES OTP.

junjou is honestly one of the worst bl/yaoi series, the rapey implications and the ugly designs just make it a super repugnant series for me, anime or manga wise. The “uke” looks like 12 and the “seme” looks like a 30some bodybuilder, it’s a fairly unrealistic and creepy depiction of gay relationships in the case of junjou both physically and generally, I dropped that series too.

i like shit that takarai rihito writes, as an example of what kind of yaoi I enjoy. She has more “fluffy” bl under her belt, her art is pleasant to look at, and the guys look age appropriate & handsome without being stereotypically seme or uke.

Edited by pitchblack

Posted (edited)

Sooo I possibly have the most different opinion on BL compared to everyone else. I actually did a presentation on BL for a seminar course because I too was also disgusted by the fetishization that occurs in BL and wanted to criticize it. Instead, the academia world ended up changing my entire opinion on BL on its head. ._. Now I *love* the genre but I can criticize it through a different perspective. I'm not in any way a fujoshi or condone much of the BL fandom (I'm not a fan of fandoms in general). I love finding gems in the shit that's out there, like Canis. 

If you're interested in queer theory I definitely recommend looking into some of the research out there on BL. It's a really interesting field. Most focus on the Japanese fandom but some researchers are interested in different BL communities across countries (something that I think gets ignored by those who are critical of BL). I can't really begin to explain how what I've been reading and researching has changed my perspective because I think I'm going to get in too deep. lol Many researchers focus on BL to deconstruct masculinity in Japan, playing with gender, and female sexuality and fantasy. It's just... so interesting and I have no one to talk to about why. ._.

I'm really into the contrasting differences between Korean BL webtoons and Japanese BL because there's some key things I noticed right off the bat. I also would like to research more into the biphobia present in a lot of Japanese BL (not so present in Korean BL tho, which is.... hmm). Publishing companies is another interest of mine. 

Authors who are aware of the issues within BL and make it obvious in their own way that they want to change the genre in some way are my FAVES. 

omg I'll try to articulate my thoughts more and maybe write a better post later about BL.

I honestly can't stand Rihito Takarai's manga but only because she had to go and create Ten Count. W h y. W h y would you create that? It's horrible. I have so many issues with that series which is disappointing because I really liked her other works, it's totally ruined my perspective on her work.

Edited by jaejoa

Posted (edited)

i am not fond of fujos. perhaps it's because i am a lesbo and dont see the appeal in male characters (tho i seen lesbo fujos so idk), but i always see really disgusting behaviors in fandoms thanks to fujos.

for one the rampant hatred of girl characters. Basically if there is a girl character that "gets in the way" of their special precious boi ship, they will condemn that character to hell. A lot of fandoms outgrew this, but i have noticed the ways fandom sneaks around it. For instance the oh so patronizing 'this girl is too good for these icky boys! Lets proceed to alienate her from all content and discussion and focus soely on those '''icky''' boys!' 

patronizing continues with their frothing at the mouth over abusive/dark m/m relationships, but if anyone ships a f/m ship of the same nature then its GROSS AND SEXIST AND HARMFUL!!! as if girls must be protected, but fuck boys. they can be in awful relationships and we can demean them all we want.

which leads me to the impression that fujos have absolutely no fucking respect for the male characters, they are just their chewtoys.

and the more i think of it, it cant be too far off. A lot of these girls run with the FUCK CIS MALE SCUM crowd, yet men are rainbows and sunshine within their erotic fantasies. If a man hated women yet fantasized about them in lesbian situations (and im sure it happens) then i would be just as repulsed.

I also despise the stereotypes they enforce on characters, or even the gender roles they put on them. kinda like the seme/uke shit? I always see an apparent GIRL in the relationship. Despite none of the characters behaving in a 'girl role' type way-- just nope! The moment they start fuckin one of them has to be feminine and submissive and kawaii cuteness uwu. no no, gays are real people with their own personalities and they dont have to fit into designated MANLY MAN and GIRLY GIRL roles.dont get me wrong, i like those dynamics when they are accurate to the character- but if none of the guy characters behave that way something tells me youre pushing fetishes on them... Or worse. Youre self-inserting. Which i have seen by the way. I knew a gal who was pretty shameless about it. And she ALWAYS self inserted the 'submissive' character, and made him out to be a feminine crybaby.

I guess the only reason i care though is because fujos dominate fandom culture. Which is already garbage on its own. And it has made me very jaded with m/m in general. I can get behind certain relationships, but due to the over-saturuzing of it in fandoms and toxic fujo behavior makes me want nothing to do with it. Which is a shame bc mainstream LGBTQ content is usually uninspired or preechy and i can never get into it. 

granted i see some pretty gross shit coming out of lesbian/yuri fandom stuff, and its growing. Same with trans characters. Fandom culture can make anything toxic, imo, it just so happens that yaoi has been popular online way more.

Edited by jaydotgif

Posted

Thoughts on yaoi and fujos? Are they as bad as those guys who fetishize lesbians?
The fact that yaoi is made for a straight (girl) audience is ugly itself and I believe fujos fetishize gay men.
From what I've seen a lot...
What's with all those fujoshis calling their ships ''sinners''?
Whats with all those fujos watching gay movies meant for gay men?
Watching tv shows just because there are gay characters?
Calling gay movies or tv shows ''yaoi movies&shows'' ???
Shipping guys in real life and creeping on gay guys?
Wishing they were boys so they could be a gay guy(or more like a cute uke uwu), have sex with a man and live like they were in a yaoi??
(To the point that some started believing they are trans when they arent and just want to live like in a yaoi and (straight girls) pretending to be gay guys?).
I'm so done 

• What's with all those fujos asking for help on how to tell their family that they like yaoi and are a fujoshi? (Seriously wtf?)

lolll you don't df. Why would you ever want to, lmao I really don't get why you would ever want to share this info with your family. Unless someone in your family was into it and you wanted to watch it with them? Otherwise???

• Shipping guys in real life and creeping on gay guys?

I never found the appeal in this. I like my bois 2D

• Wishing they were boys so they could be a gay guy(or more like a cute uke uwu), have sex with a man and live like they were in a yaoi??

I.... no...

• What's with all those fujoshis calling themselves ''closeted fujoshi'' or a ''fujoshi in the closet''? 

I've never called myself this lmao but I guess if you want to be technical I was a 'closeted fujoshi' for a long time but that just sounds dumb tbh lmfao

• Watching tv shows just because there are gay characters?

They're probably 100% bad lol

Posted (edited)

I'm not saying that all  fujos  do these things, just pointing when  fujos  cross the red line, for me.

It feels so wrong when:

- Fujos ship EVERY, I mean, EVERY trend animu couples of straigh boys, like, srly?

- When fujos turn a normal animu into a gay animu, when all characters are straight like wtf. If you see the fandom of Kuroko no basket you could think that it's Free 2.0 but nope.

- Fujos are OK with boyxboy relationships but UGGGGHHHHHH with lesbians. This is more normal than you think.

- Fujos shipping shotas or minors (16 for me are still small lol) like, I don't know. When they are inocent and they love each other as kids its ok for me but...YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

- Fujos to male musn't exist. People who start cosplaying animu gays couples and end on T...or when they are trans they are like girls, but they say they are a boy it's so wrong for me sorry girl you are not a boy.

btw, thanks for this topic, it's pretty interesting.

Edited by GoMons