• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Coco Lee / Rilaccoco

1223 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I used to watch her when she anchored Pops in Seoul, and despite living in America, I found her English to be very simple. She would try to use bigger words but frequently mispronounce them and say things like epi-tome (instead of epi-tuh-mi) or v.i.a. (even though 'via' is not an acronym). I think she speaks slowly and places strange emphasis on certain words for a cutesy effect, which is the impression I got for her role in idolmaster.kr as well as her interviews with celebrities. Personally I find it hard to understand, but her viewers must think it's cute I guess.

To be fair, a lot of Americans pronounce epitome wrong. I didn’t even know it was pronunced like that until I saw your post. I don’t find her very charming though. lol 

I see her on my ig explore often and the amount she edits her pics is astounding. For someone who’s already conventionally pretty by Korean standards how much more vain can she be?

Branching off of that, who does she think she is. She at least has some level of recognition on the internet while there are tons of real artists in Korea who disappear without getting another opportunity. Those are the actual starving artists. She could’ve avoided the backlash if she hadn’t used that hashtag.

Edited by rk618

Posted

She could have easily just apologized for the tag and explained her stance (company has no money and also has the rights to her image/name as an artist) instead of doubling down and defending her right to use the tag. It IS hypocritical to do hauls of luxury goods and gain followers because of that, because she sure wasn't gaining followers because she's some sort of kpop phenom. 

tbh when I first read the caption I just assumed the ‘starving artist’ tag was just a joke, completely humorous. But then she tried to say that it did apply to her....which, just no. Her situation with her company does suck, for sure, but she still appears to be living a pretty comfortable, privileged life. People are bound to be rubbed the wrong way if it seems like she’s not appreciating that.

i honestly just think that she’s bad at explaining herself and it’s not really that deep but this is the internet in 2018 - you gotta think twice before you post, especially where money is concerned 

Posted

She could have easily just apologized for the tag and explained her stance (company has no money and also has the rights to her image/name as an artist) instead of doubling down and defending her right to use the tag. 

Couldn’t agree more. Is it an ego thing? From what I’ve seen so far no one seemed bothered by her trying to crowdfund the project at all, it was just the hashtag. Just admit it was the wrong choice to use it in your case - despite all the issues with your company - and move on. 

At least they just seem to find fault with the part where she calls herself a starving artist and they’re not saying she shouldn’t call herself an artist at all lol. 

Also Edward explaining the world of entertainment to the masses again was hilarious. 

Posted

I think if she put #strugglingartist that would have been somewhat better since to an extent she is one. (She isn't that famous/popular of a singer and her company is broke and doesn't seem to care much about her singing career so it looks like she did most of the work on this album herself. She is I guess "struggling" to make a breakthrough in the industry.)

I checked her kickstarter again and it looks like she has already exceeded her goal. I'm really shocked over how generous her fans are! She already has 3 rewards that are full and even her highest reward which was the $885(?) amount where you can meet up with Coco in LA and she will buy you a meal and vlog it has a backer for it already.

Posted

Couldn’t agree more. Is it an ego thing? From what I’ve seen so far no one seemed bothered by her trying to crowdfund the project at all, it was just the hashtag. Just admit it was the wrong choice to use it in your case - despite all the issues with your company - and move on. 

At least they just seem to find fault with the part where she calls herself a starving artist and they’re not saying she shouldn’t call herself an artist at all lol. 

Also Edward explaining the world of entertainment to the masses again was hilarious. 

I went to her IG to find the post, but looks like she changed the hashtag to "#helpcoco" and deleted all negative comments related to the incident instead of owning up to her mistake and apologizing for it :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

I went to her IG to find the post, but looks like she changed the hashtag to "#helpcoco" and deleted all negative comments related to the incident instead of owning up to her mistake and apologizing for it :alpacaheadshake:

I just checked and it’s still up?

FEB48876-F3F4-4853-BE0A-7DB18E99D2A2.thu All of the comments are still there too. Maybe you looked for the wrong post?

Posted (edited)

It’s long, but I come bearing links!

https://youtu.be/cgdUIRxrqr0

^ her other directTv commercial 

It’s crazy that things she’s posted 10+ years ago still floats around the internet. To start off, I’ve known (internet friends) coco lee in her early early soompi days flysaex3 if you look it up you can find older pictures of her. I had her on fb and we chatted on her 411 thread. Ive followed her Kpop career since the very beginning and it felt super cool to “kinda” feel like you know someone that was about to be famous. And since I had her on Facebook I kinda felt like I followed along with her for the ride. 

i didnt have a bad feeling about coco until I saw the kickstarter. I get asking for help, but 1. she clearly has money to spend on of luxury items 2. Is there even a goal? Or is she going to keep it as long as she can? 3. (Is it bad for me to think this) but is the money 100% going to this music thing? Has no one questioned this?

“She comes from money” This has been on many of her threads on different forums from years ago. I believe in an allkpop thread, she replied a huge post saying that she didn’t come from money, her mom owned a dry cleaning company and made it sound like a sob story / struggling to get by. THIS IS WHERE I WAS LIKE HMMM.. something doesn’t sound right. Back on fb a long time ago, she posted every inch of her house. It was big. She had a balcony overlooking the huge pool, guest/pool house and fancy decor everywhere. Also, what made me question her post, was that she always had expensive bags. In high school she would be carrying Chanel classic flaps - black and beige, balenciaga bags, chanel necklaces, etc. She basically made it very “obvious” that she lived a nice life. It was “brand” names all over here. So unless everything was fake, then Idk. I don’t believe the sob story she wrote. OH, and she’s driving in a Porsche at this moment and had to IG story it. Might not be hers, but if I was a fan and my idol was carrying luxury bags/clothes and then asking for money. I would wonder.

Also her “eyelid surgery” she never said anything about it until the allkpop thread she didn’t categorized it as surgery because it was not technically under the definition of surgery. Something about the same procedure as Go Hara - that was her example. She just always kinda dodged around that back in the old days. And since she’s been to Korea, it’s obvious some things are a tad different. She also PS a lot of her photos on IG, so I don’t really know anymore. Some of her pics on IG are very obvious. I don’t know how she didn’t think people could tell. Who knows. 

Someone mentioned her auditioning for other companies. SHE DEFINITELY DID and many. http://soompi41.rssing.com/chan-13868806/all_p1.html search for flysaex3 - that’s her and she’s on the SM audition meet up list. 

She went to SM at least twice - she posted on soompi her experience as well. It might still be there. Then she was in the miss Korea L.A https://youtu.be/MqgRjb_CO38 @3:08. After this was when she ended up on superstar k? There’s a video on YouTube, she dances - it’s really cringe to watch and the she sings and it’s basicslly the same as it is now. I’m not hating but her voice is just airy. I think after all this was when she moved to Korea. I can’t remember if she started at CCM or a smaller one than CCM. That group she trained with disbanded - lack of a better word, because that one girl ended up in t-ara, and everyone went somewhere else? Could be wrong. Then coco either (contract ended? Or left? They traded or moved her to another company? Or she wanted to debut) But she then debuted with Blady, then disbanded, did a bunch of reporting stuff, cocosori and now YouTube.  

The blog/tumblr. I remember back then when she wouldn’t post her music and it would annoyed me so much. I use to look into the HTML coding and find the names LOL. I didnt know we all struggled.

The only other things is, I just wished her vlogs felt real. I don’t know her on a personal level, but all her YouTube content feels so fake. The cute/innocent persona, calling Edward “boyfriend” all the time, the minions ALL.THE.TIME., the clickbait.

Also, l don’t doubt that she “used” Edward to get her YouTube career started and I guess Edward used her to get views “kpopstar” in all his video titles. She also makes it very hard to not think she just uses all her “friends” to get views. And her clickbait with all her guy friends, just feels like she’s hanging out with them becaus they’re friends but she also needs content. 

I give her mad props for trying for the past 10 years. 

*i have I think the screenshot of the allkpop thread and old picture on my computer. I’m not even sure it still turns on. I will post if I can find it

Edited by Xxxnoodle
More info

Posted

yeah I can see how she’s a starving artist 71B0869D-5632-481F-9491-CEAF92944C1A.thu

Posted

yeah I can see how she’s a starving artist 71B0869D-5632-481F-9491-CEAF92944C1A.thu

Sad how she wants to flex but also make jokes and gets annoyed when people find her disingenuous lol

Posted

I found about her because youtube suggest me her video vlog about a BlockB concert. 

Because she was "friend" with JaeHyo. Block B is on the video for just like two seconds. And I was kinda dissapointed. Im not really into vloggers so I was expecting more of that video. 

I start following her on IG because I think shes pretty but.. her IG its kinda boring. 

I dont think she'll ever be a kpop star, her voice is meeeh, and she doesnt have the personality to stand up. 

Posted

If she was that desperate she could have joined PD48 to get her name out there, but maybe she is too lazy.

Posted

I found about her because youtube suggest me her video vlog about a BlockB concert. 

Because she was "friend" with JaeHyo. Block B is on the video for just like two seconds. And I was kinda dissapointed. Im not really into vloggers so I was expecting more of that video. 

I start following her on IG because I think shes pretty but.. her IG its kinda boring. 

I dont think she'll ever be a kpop star, her voice is meeeh, and she doesnt have the personality to stand up. 

Samee... youtube recommended her video to me and I thought she was just a Youtuber, not an idol lol.  There so much competition to be a kpop idol, props for her to keep on trying but don't think she will be able to make it especially since there are so much better singers.  I always thought agencies are strict with their idols but she seems to have alot of free time and even does Youtube and Twitch.  

Posted

If she was that desperate she could have joined PD48 to get her name out there, but maybe she is too lazy.

I kinda feel like after she got cut from Idolmaster (who even watched that idk) and The Unit, she might have just been doing herself a favor and saved herself from some humiliation by not joining anymore idol survival shows. Or maybe she's still trying lol who knows