• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

what are your worst skincare sins?

49 posts in this topic

Posted

there are threads like this frequently over on SCA, and i thought it would be interesting to make one like it on here! so, my question is: before you got into skincare (if you ever did), or even right now, what were the most no-go, bad, awful, taboo, regrettable, cringey things you did to your skin? :alpacaheadshake: im curious to hear what sins you guys have committed, or just what you regret doing and know not to do anymore.

ill start:

• washed my face with shower gel, handsoap or shampoo, or not at all
  • basically no moisturizer until like 2 years ago with the exception of the occasional body lotion or nivea creme
  • until a few months ago, only used body lotion as moisturizer
  • used a body scrub to exfoliate my face way too many times.
  • used a toner meant for oily skin, on my dry sensitive skin
  • never changed my pillowcase
  • used african black soap as a cleanser (granted, it wasnt that bad and it cleared up my skin in comparison to the shampoo... but its totally drying)
  • never any sunscreen even in summer even though i have a sun allergy.

so thats the sins i could think of right now :/ feel free to post yours too!! :alpacashocked:

Posted

these are just some that came to my mind but :alpacabored:

• not using any sunscreen at all
  • continued using some skincare product that fucked up my skin 
  • i still do this but i don't change my pillowcase often because god im so lazy
  • used foam cleanser when clearly it doesn't suit this skin that is drier than my notifications smh
  • st ives scrub is actually very harsh to the skin but i still love it and am still using it

i'll add more if they come to my mind :alpacawink:

Posted

What I did :

• Used handsoap to wash my face
  • Slept with my makeup on
  • Used an alcohol based toner 
  • Used alcohol based face wipes on a daily 
  • Used a moisturizer which was wayyyy too heavy for my skin
  • Used toothpaste on my pimples to dry them out 

What I (unfortunately) still do :

• Forgetting my suncreen or being too lazy to use it
  • Never exfoliating (I REALLY NEED TO BUY OR MAKE ONE :alpacadone:)

Posted

It seems some of our “problems” are quite common ones. :alpacasad:

- I used harsh facial scrubs (I now almost exclusively use mild chemical ones and have better results with them so switching wasn’t hard).

- I used to change pillowcase once a week at best. 

- I touch my face all the time. I got better with it but it’s so habitual sometimes I don’t even realize what I’m doing. 

- I used to have acne as a teen and can’t tell how many super drying products I used all while thinking that this is great for my (already dry) skin...

- Similar to the pillowcases: I always washed brushes and sponges I used but considering my acne probably not nearly often enough.

- I used to pick at me acne/skin. 

- I used sunscreen but so little product that it probably didn’t make a difference while going out being super careless because I was wearing sunscreen. (How stupid can you get really?)

- Pulling the skin around my eyes a bit much while applying make-up. And no eye cream cause why would you. 

- Not removing my make-up fully at night.

- Using products for the wrong skin type because I had no idea what skin type I have really (but why bother finding out). 

- Not spot testing products and not introducing them one by one because finding out what you react poorly too is so easy....

Posted

I used oils for my oily skin and it became dry and flaky and itchy, so i used more oil and then i got acne. Really don't know what i was thinking when i was a teenager.

Posted

• Microbead exfoliators (worse for the environment)
  • Toothpaste as pimple treatment (Thanks mum... she still recommends it LOL)
  • Alcohol based toner (back when toners were real crappy...)
  • Not using sunscreen (I live in Aus... so that's a bad decision)
  • Not using moisturiser because I feared that it'd be too heavy and make me more oily, then getting eczema in the winter (little you can do... but moisturising your skin helps)

Posted

• st ives scrub is actually very harsh to the skin but i still love it and am still using it

i dont have st ives, but honestly thats how i feel about my body scrub. i still have it even though its almost empty and im making myself never use it (especially because microbeads!!) but it smells sooo good, i just dont want to let go of it :alpacadone:

Posted

What I did:

• Used St. Ives facial scrub for my sensitive allergy-prone face. 
  • No moisturizer up until I reached my early 20's. 
  • No sunblock up until... just a few months ago. I noticed that my face and neck were pretty tanned compared to my immaculately covered up body LOL. 

What I still do: 

• Touch/scratch my face
  • Scratch/rub my eyes
  • Not changing my pillow case frequently
  • Using whatever products are available at hotels whenever I travel. I'm lazy af when it comes to packing skincare, etc. 

Posted

I rubbed my nose with a nail file to exfoliate it then rubbed hand sanitizer that says it kills 99.9% of bacteria onto my stinging nose, thinking that it would kill all the bacteria in my pores and that it would get rid of my blackheads. It didn't work.

Don't do that people. Don't.

:alpacawink::alpacacrush::alpacawink:

Posted

probably that i can go a few days without doing anything to my face, even washing it because i get lazy. and i forget to wear sunscreen a lot. :( 

i wish i had a multi-step routine that i was diligent with. especially for night, i would love to have a sleep mask and heavy moisturizer

Posted

i wish i had a multi-step routine that i was diligent with. especially for night, i would love to have a sleep mask and heavy moisturizer

Just felt the need to answer because it reminds me of my ‘excuses’ before. (Don’t mean to be offensive, I hope you don’t take it that way.) Just start with whatever is available to you atm. Sure some products are nice to have, but even a basic routine will make a huge difference as long as you stick to it. And apart from that starting with a 100 steps at once usually is a bad idea anyway and that way you won’t know which products actually help you. 

Anyway I’d say just start. Don’t wait till you figured out the ideal super excessive skincare routine in theory that you won’t ever stick to in practice anyway. 

Posted

hmmm picking at my face lolol

Posted (edited)

I have two sins. lol

• Never using anything but water to wash my face.
  • I sleep with my makeup on more times than I care to admit. Sometimes for days. I use a mascara that is difficult to remove so sometimes I just don't bother.. it's hella bad, ik.

I have pretty good skin tho. Also always surprised so many people use sunscreen. I haven't since high school but I'm paler than the moon.

Edited by aruku_around

Posted

Mixing up skincare products or dermatological medications/creams in hopes that the mix becomes more effective than the individual products by themselves.

... don't ask

Posted

hmm, i had to really think about my bad habits surrounding my skin haha:

• picking at my skin (any bumps/textures i just have to remove)
  • popping my pimples, even the cystic ones that hurt (i've tried to stop doing this tho)
  • sleeping/napping with makeup on, even if it's a lil bit
  • reeeeeaalllyyy lazy with washing my makeup sponges and brushes
  • don't really replace cosmetics when i should (too expense, i don't have money lmaoo)
  • wash my face once a day when i'm being lazy
  • touch my face a lot

writing this list made me think about all the bad habits i have oops.