206 posts in this topic

Posted

LaLa

Youtube| Instagram| Twitter

lala.thumb.PNG.683bff126ee938c331dc06a59

LaLa is a 26 year old KVlogger from America currently living in South Korea. One of her most notable videos titled "Korean Boys Are Naughty," gained over 400k views. At first, she pandered to speaking about her experiences in Korea, however she has stated that she doesn't want to touch on topics surrounding Korea anymore...or so she says. 

Controversies:

-In one of her earlier videos here, she talks about "Haters and Bullies" in Korea. Basically, there was another black Youtuber who was being 'fake' towards her. People speculated whether she was talking about Megan Bowen or Kennie JD, but it was confirmed that it was the Youtuber 'Somewhere Always Tee'

lala1.thumb.PNG.db6be838c175d3232c00a5a0
lala2.thumb.PNG.cb8c74df5cdd551ac23b402e

-The infamous beef with Kennie JD. In Kennie's "5 Signs You Are A Koreaboo" video, one of the signs is, and I quote, "4. You spend large amounts of time looking for people to live vicariously through to satisfy your fetishes about Koreans. Ambw, amww, Latin woman etc or videos that contain "my Korean boyfriend" but the race of the boyfriend has no consequence to the nature of the video." People took this as a jab towards LaLa and LaLa decided to bash Kennie not only in a video (which she deleted) but on Instagram (which she also deleted...but of course there are screenshots) when she could have just...oh Idk..handled it woman to woman?

lala3.thumb.PNG.07b19308250af84ceaaea363 lala4.thumb.PNG.dce8263be9f7da9f0a32b029lala5.thumb.PNG.b6dbe781dc712a03daa3e728
She keeps saying "I'm not even gonna entertain this- I'm not even gonna finish,"...but she dragged it on with this next post--

lala6.thumb.PNG.201e62dfb045083036926239 Note how one of her supporters fat shamed Kennie with the "Who cares she's fat" comment. Now, I'm not Kendall's fan, but it's still a horrible thing to do to comment on her body like that. LaLa hasn't done this herself, but she's still not helping this situation...at all. 

Funny thing is, as unbothered as she tried to seem, it still definitely bothered her, because she went from using "Korean Boyfriend," in her titles to just "Boyfriend."
lalabf1.thumb.PNG.f0ac381e9f85eb24572cb9lalabf2.thumb.PNG.8b0e739ddabf13066969f2

She even dragged it on further after it was over in this video when she shaded Kennie about her NB2 videos. 

-Talks about facing racism...but perpetuates racist antics. In this video she talks about a television show in Korea that was going to use blackface in one of its acts. She's also talked about facing racism in Korea as well in this video. If LaLa wants to call out racism, that's perfectly fine. However, she's perpetuated racist antics through her actions even though she claims she wants a change. 

For example, in this caption she uses the term "booty scratcher" when talking about a girl that was trying to get in her boyfriend's DMs. The girl was apparently from Africa, which is why she used "booty scratcher" as an insult, because the phrase "African Booty Scratcher" is a very derogatory insult towards African people. It's comparable to phrases such as "Mexican Wetback" and "Chinese Dog Eater."
 IMG_0556.thumb.jpg.0064d343350c4bba63376

In this screencap, she says that she lets her boyfriend say the N word.
20225481_932936490195402_296175683397222
If the print is too small to read, it states, and I quote, "Personally the word doesn't bother so I told bf he can say it if we're both singing a hip hop song or his Jan comes on (I taught him to like A$AP Ferg LOOLL), but I let him know he couldn't get away with that in front of my friends or family..." (the quote includes her typos, not mine). 

Now, here's just my opinion. Even if she's not personally not offended by that word, and even if her boyfriend isn't ignorant, how do we know he doesn't say that word around his friends when she's not around because she gave him "the okay?" And assuming some of his friends are ignorant, doesn't that keep the cycle of ignorance in Korea flowing? His friends may very well be not only okay with saying that word when she's not around, but may find humor in the very blackface skits that she apparently finds distasteful. If she were to say to say to them, "Okay, you can say that word...but don't do blackface!" that...kind of...doesn't make sense to me? They are both derived from painful points in history for African American people and a lot of Korean people don't know about that, so...I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but again, this is just my opinion. 

-Photoshopping her thumbnails. Now, I don't personally care if someone shops their photos...as long as it isn't extreme, or they don't try to deny it. However, my problem with her doing it is that she claims in this video that she doesn't care that she doesn't "fit Korean beauty standards," and that she has a "bigger nose" than Koreans who get surgery, but she gushes about how she loves herself and wants to teach others about confidence...okay, but if she loves her big nose so much then...why is she making it smaller...? It's hella obvious too. She has like...a different structured face throughout her thumbnails, like...we all know from watching her videos that her nose is not this small. If she's insecure about her nose, it's okay to say that, but she shouldn't preach about loving her nose and how "Omg Koreans shave their jaw?!" when she partakes in trying to change herself to fit the standard. 

lalashop.thumb.PNG.af8c4a86f5051d8523932lalashop2.thumb.PNG.6d0ac92b8c389e5a6034lalashop1.thumb.PNG.06c6b70ea5f6afaeed33

-Using abelism in her recent video to be funny. In her "10 Korean Questions I'm Tired of Answering" video, she not only talks about Korea after she said she wouldn't, she uses an insult in the video about how people asking her about her boyfriend must be "riding the short bus." Her followers found it funny too, one of them calling it the "retarded imitation," and she liked the comment. 

Screen_Shot_2017-11-07_at_7.08.29_PM.png

This comment here talks about how she's "sassy and black" and they love it. So...basically, this follower is just entertained by her being a stereotype. 
sassy.thumb.PNG.001e1f791d1fdab3b50a4023

At first, I loved LaLa. When I stumbled upon her channel I thought, wow a black girl who moves to Korea and doesn't have problematic tendencies? Yes!
....But little by little I started to see how messy she really was. Maybe some of this pettiness would be tolerable if she were a child, but she's approaching 30 and unfortunately doesn't show signs of knowing better, at least not in my opinion. To her, having a high sub count means everything, and she seeks constant validation from her followers. Anyone who doesn't agree with her she seems to shade even though she doesn't like when shade is thrown her way. In my eyes, she's a straight up hypocrite who can dish out drama because she has followers and that's it. It's a cheap shot, and a punk move, because she wouldn't dare shade someone with a higher sub count or more clout than her.
So, what do you guys think? After her actions have been clogging the KVlogger thread, people felt like she deserved her own, so here it is.  

Posted

O hell no she nasty

Posted (edited)

Edited by lambchopp

Posted

She quit teaching?! Hows she going to stay in korea then... 🤔🤔🤔

Maybe her boyfriend? But I feel like she couldn’t keep that to herself lol. I almost automatically assumed it’s another network forking over a visa for some random youtuber, but at least on socialblade her channel hasn’t been claimed by a network (yet). 

Posted (edited)

Hehe, someone suggested I put these so uh.. Lala if you're here, please spare us all baby :/

stop.thumb.jpg.07d3351ae0366e238193faabbstoop.thumb.jpg.9af95f22275886da323a38b7stoopp.thumb.jpg.eec144baeee7cf24a036fc6

I'm pretty sure she still teaches at a Hagwon. It was one of the questions she addressed in that recent video and it seems as if she's still there.

Also, lol I love how she said that she was tired of talking about Korea, etc but if you look at her page, her videos with anything Korean related in the title has significantly more views than her recent content. So we'll see how long she keeps that up 

Edited by 9ptnina
typo

Posted

Hehe, someone suggested I put these so uh.. Lala if you're here, please spare us all baby :/

Hidden Content

I'm pretty sure she still teaches at a Hagwon. It was one of the questions she addressed in that recent video and it seems as if she's still there.

Also, lol I love how she said that she was tired of talking about Korea, etc but if you look at her page, her videos with anything Korean related in the title has significantly more views than her recent content. So we'll see how long she keeps that up 

She's still teaching? I'll edit the initial post then. 

But yes, I agree. Idk what she's gonna talk about when it's not Korea related. I predict her views are gonna drop tbh. Messiness gets old real quick. 

Posted

Hey all, I saw this shiny new Lala thread and felt compelled to register.

I discovered PULL a few months ago after following a trail of rumors, hearsay, and scandal about Simon and Martina. And I've been lurking ever since, enjoying your commentary about youtubers I've never actually watched (KennieJD) but now know way too much about because of my daily visits to these forums. :D

But I actually watch Lala's videos, and I like her. I agree she's flawed - as is everyone. Still, I wanted to voice some support for her. I feel like she has that "sassy adventuress" persona - that's authentically a part of her - but she's also vulnerable/sensitive, and I felt bad thinking that she'd read this thread and maybe crumble a little inside with all these hard observations of her. Because, I guess, she does lurk here. 

(I'm not here to stop anyone from saying what they have to say about her. Or even dispute anything that's been said. Opinions and points of view and all that stuff.)

I feel kinda bad that she might be creating content in reaction to the criticism she probably read here and elsewhere. Like changing the title of that video. I wish she could cocoon herself from some of the casual non-positive feedback and resist the temptation to adjust herself right away just because a forum post or two on matters that aren't that important. 

Also, I hope her intention to move away from doing too many Korea-focused videos isn't because of the pov that a lot of these Korea youtubers are exploiting Korea and/or the obsession of koreaboos. I mean, right now, she lives in Korea. So, I think it's perfectly appropriate that she share her observations about stuff going on around her in Korea. And because she lives in Korea, it's gonna be too hard to not talk about Korea. If you live in a place, it's too natural to talk about that place. I feel like she set herself up for an unnecessarily impossible challenge with this.

If she's sincerely tired of talking about Korea - and not letting online commentary overly influence her - that's cool. She's gotta forge her own path and all that. But, personally, I watch her videos, in large part, for her take/experiences in Korea. So, I hope she's not afraid to embrace the reality of where she currently lives. Because her recent videos -- where she tries to distance herself from Korea or topics about Korea or questions about Korea -- lack some of the joyfulness of her other videos. And, my hunch is that it might be because these aren't videos that spring organically from her own creative well. Instead they're trying to contort themselves to primarily pacify the judgment of others. 

The one unequivocal criticism I have of her is the "short bus" comment. It seems she didn't know how ableist and oppressive that is to a group of people that don't deserve anyone's scorn, and should instead be supported and championed by us all. I hope she learns from this and doesn't do it again. 

But - other than that - I encourage her to continue to be true to herself and keep making videos for as long as it pleases her (or pays her lol).  Because I think she has a real gift for communication, and she should keep expressing and developing her own voice and see where it takes her. Everyone makes mistakes. And if we own up to them and truly learn from them, most people will understand. 

Posted (edited)

This (I don’t know who said it but I give them credit lol)

But wow didn’t know she loved her self that much 😒

BEB6EA96-8B39-4F8E-B6B5-4BAE9D9B6501.pngSo disappointed I expected more from her honestly 

Edited by BlackCuttie

Posted

What can I say. 

giphy.gif

I don’t know what the hell is going on with kvloggers but it has to stop. 

Posted (edited)

Her Twitter: @HurricaneLala_

La La was the first kvlogger that I really watched and she actually introduced me to BTS and that there was a chance to teach overseas with a bachelors. I think it was her video about her weave falling off or something that I watched first, haha. :alpacaheadshake:

She seemed genuinely funny and it did feel like she was down to earth. The "5 types of Korean Boys", "How to get a Korean boyfriend" titles really rubbed me the wrong way but I did end up watching them and glad she added in "just be yourself / all boys are the same regardless of race". 

I thought the whole Kennie JD vs. La La was kinda petty and it was mostly her fans (La Lapops I think is what they're called). I ignored it because Kennie had plenty of titles with "Korean (something)" although it didnt really need to be in there. 

I did actually keep watcing her videos despite it because she is entertaining up until recently with the "short bus" comment. IDK I feel as a teacher even if you aren't dealing with kids with special ed. you would be a bit more sensitive to that type of stuff? Then again maybe that struck me cus I've worked with kids with disabilities.

I didn't know about her racist comments until recently and ngl I'm disappointed. 

Edited by Helios
added in link to her twitter

Posted

I'm thinking if she actually taught in special ed then perhaps maybe the comment wouldn't have existed at all.

However,some people just aren't decent and understanding enough to ignore cracking these types of jokes regardless of their occupation.

Posted

-Talks about facing racism...but perpetuates racist antics. In this video she talks about a television show in Korea that was going to use blackface in one of its acts. She's also talked about facing racism in Korea as well in this video. If LaLa wants to call out racism, that's perfectly fine. However, she's perpetuated racist antics through her actions even though she claims she wants a change. 

Hidden Content

I didn't mention this in my earlier post, because I wasn't sure what the term b---- s-------- was. I wanted to look it up before I formed an opinion. And yeah, it is undeniably an ethnic slur. That's disappointing and so so wrong. Hash-tagging it like that wasn't cute. It's an act of bigotry. Even if she was heated because she thought someone was trying to DM her man. That's no excuse. You can't defend that.

When someone wields ethnic slurs, they degrade themselves more so than anyone else. And you can't use that crap privately either. That poison will leak into all parts of your life. 

I hope Lala rebukes and repents from that shit.

Posted (edited)

I didn't mention this in my earlier post, because I wasn't sure what the term b---- s-------- was. I wanted to look it up before I formed an opinion. And yeah, it is undeniably an ethnic slur. That's disappointing and so so wrong. Hash-tagging it like that wasn't cute. It's an act of bigotry. Even if she was heated because she thought someone was trying to DM her man. That's no excuse. You can't defend that.

When someone wields ethnic slurs, they degrade themselves more so than anyone else. And you can't use that crap privately either. That poison will leak into all parts of your life. 

I hope Lala rebukes and repents from that shit.

Unfortunately, because insults like these and the ableism remark she made, I think she's someone that uses this kind of language in every day life and I don't see her necessarily changing anytime soon. Perhaps she will, but after seeing that a lot of her followers find even her degrading humor funny, it doesn't seem likely. 

(Also this next comment is directed toward you but--)

Quite honestly, I used to feel like LaLa would be a fun person to hang out with. Obviously I don't know her personally, but I feel like though I'm younger than her, even I wouldn't be able to kick it with her antics. I know age isn't the defining factor of maturity, but still. I feel like if I were to chill with her, it could easily turn into one of those "Real Housewives of __" moments because of how messy she is. That behavior is entertaining for television for a reason, because it's television. It's usually staged, and people get entertained by watching other people acting like fools. When people watch those shows, viewers often think, "Wow, I'm glad I don't act like that.." and that's the same kind of vibe I get when I watch LaLa at this point. I don't want to sound holier than thou when I say that, but I can't help but hear some of the things she says and shake my head.

Anyway, did anyone watch her latest video? I didn't, but if anyone wants to post their thoughts then [shrug] 
(Now that I'm seeing her thumbnail this large though, her wig makes me cringe. Girl, please comb your wig. It looks stiff and that's not cute. Why do all these K-Vloggers have horrible wig game? I seriously don't get it
EDIT: I can see why given in the background I can see how she stores her wig. I'm also just remembering in a video how she had a wig on the floor and kicked at it...like...oh my god. Ya'll, I can't.) 

Edited by cocoaqueen

Posted

I thought somebody was hoarding black cats in the room. Anyway, the way she kept moving back and forth every once in a while got on my nerves. Lala's repetitive movements into the camera (especially with the head shakes,) would have had her look crazy out in public. One more thing.  I felt annoyed by the on and off contrast of her skin tone as she kept taking a step towards the window.  The results morphed her face into an unrealistic color. It sorta reminded me of when people screw up from trying to even out the picture display setting on a tv screen. Despite all that, it was just the usual story of dealing with lazy horny men on "vacation."

Posted (edited)

Looks like someone finally took a trip to NB2.. probably wanted some of that weird guy action that someone we all know seems to can't get enough of.

mess.thumb.png.0626608e9d1661ea5618e87bd

Interesting

Edited by 9ptnina
idk how to embed videos lol but the one of the korean boys on her twitter... lmffaaoo