• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Pretty ugly little liar banner

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys! I'm pretty new here and have been trying to figure out who the 6 girls on the site banner represent. I have a few ideas but I'm not too sure. Thanks. Sorry if this is a weird question but my curiosity is piqued.

image.png

Posted

From left to rigth: Wylona Hayashi, Venus Angelic, Kiki Kannibal, Dakota Rose, Johanna Herrstedt, Kanadajin3

Posted

whoever did the art is brilliant. love the collar on Venus, Kik's expression, Johanna's signature face thingy, it's gold!

Posted

It may soon be time to change that lovely drawing of Venus to a lovely drawing of Margo.

Posted

It may soon be time to change that lovely drawing of Venus to a lovely drawing of Margo.

Maybe... Venus wasn't a "snowflake" after all?  Maybe, it was Margo the whole time.

Posted

Maybe... Venus wasn't a "snowflake" after all?  Maybe, it was Margo the whole time.

omg can we have an angry screaming Margo holding the broken "MOM" collar? :haiplz:

Posted

omg can we have an angry screaming Margo holding the broken "MOM" collar? :haiplz:

Yes plz! :D

Posted

When will venus be replaced with her mom? And Venus as her puppit? *hint hint idea*

Posted

When will venus be replaced with her mom? And Venus as her puppit? *hint hint idea*

We're not doing anything with the banner at this time. I've made suggestions here on what we can do if/when someone opens a discussion about it (likely after Venus' situation has changed). But like I said in the same thread, it'd be easier to create a new banner instead of updating the current one, because it's less time and energy, and probably more reliable than waiting on me and Haeltide for new/updated art to include in the lineup.

Posted

So... I'm very conscious of the fact that this may sound melodramatic and/or silly, but I really feel it would be good to change the banner soon, specifically because Venus's situation has changed so much. It's apparent that all that's gone down with her is not faked, and it seems to me that her mother has done a fine job of proving that she's an abusive hag. Venus has done well in staying away, and I doubt it's been without significant personal cost.

Quite frankly, a number of us have faced a monster in the closet of Margo's calibur or worse. I say that from seeing people post about it - I won't speak for anyone else further than that because it isn't my place, but I do want to say this: although I'm not arguing that Venus is no longer a snowflake, seeing the collar on her neck in the banner is slightly disconcerting to me. She is working hard to break her mother's hold; it's not an accurate representation anymore, and if I were her, even if I were the biggest snowflake in the world, it would really suck to see myself represented as wearing my stepfather's collar. It's just symbolic of what one works to change when one finally slips the leash.

Like I said, that could just be me being melodramatic and biased, and if it is, that's fine - it's not as though I look at the banner and scurry to the back of my cave while hissing and don't come out until I'm dehydrated from all those triggered feelings pouring from the tortured tear ducts reflecting a tormented and grief-blackened soul. :P

Just thought I'd bring it up in case anyone else thinks it's time to change the banner. 

Lastly, I do acknowledge that doing so would be a metric fuckton of work, and unfortunately I don't have any solutions to propose to that. I would be happy to draw it myself, but badly sketched stick figures just wouldn't suit the tone of the site, and that's the best I could offer.

Sorry for the long post!

Posted

So... I'm very conscious of the fact that this may sound melodramatic and/or silly, but I really feel it would be good to change the banner soon, specifically because Venus's situation has changed so much. It's apparent that all that's gone down with her is not faked, and it seems to me that her mother has done a fine job of proving that she's an abusive hag. Venus has done well in staying away, and I doubt it's been without significant personal cost.

Quite frankly, a number of us have faced a monster in the closet of Margo's calibur or worse. I say that from seeing people post about it - I won't speak for anyone else further than that because it isn't my place, but I do want to say this: although I'm not arguing that Venus is no longer a snowflake, seeing the collar on her neck in the banner is slightly disconcerting to me. She is working hard to break her mother's hold; it's not an accurate representation anymore, and if I were her, even if I were the biggest snowflake in the world, it would really suck to see myself represented as wearing my stepfather's collar. It's just symbolic of what one works to change when one finally slips the leash.

Like I said, that could just be me being melodramatic and biased, and if it is, that's fine - it's not as though I look at the banner and scurry to the back of my cave while hissing and don't come out until I'm dehydrated from all those triggered feelings pouring from the tortured tear ducts reflecting a tormented and grief-blackened soul. :P

Just thought I'd bring it up in case anyone else thinks it's time to change the banner. 

Lastly, I do acknowledge that doing so would be a metric fuckton of work, and unfortunately I don't have any solutions to propose to that. I would be happy to draw it myself, but badly sketched stick figures just wouldn't suit the tone of the site, and that's the best I could offer.

Sorry for the long post!

I understand where you're coming from, and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

However, right now, we aren't looking into changing the banner. And if we were to do so, then we won't update this one. We'd rather want a photoshopped one like the one we had before kiki and kota came with their copyright bs, and not yet another drawing because we no longer need that.
1404530297497.jpg

If people want to create banners and post them as suggestions, then that's fine. But I can't garantuee that we will pick one of them, as of right now.

Posted

I think you're taking the banner way too seriously. Saying you find it disconcerting and implying that Venus herself actually cares about how she's represented in the banner....

Like, when it comes down to it, this is just a gossip forum. Getting keyed up about one detail in Venus' art in the banner is rather trivial in the scope of other things that are posted here. 

Which is why I find the argument that Venus herself cares about how she's represented in the banner completely disingenuous. You're basically saying we should show respect for someone no one here respects. It's inauthentic and hypocritical to grant someone a courtesy when the community at large isn't interested in maintaining it as a standard. Like assuming that Venus actually gives a shit, she'll continue to think we're all assholes anyway just by the way people discuss her in her subforum. 

Though personally I don't think she cares, because this forum has been around for so long that I think caring about how she looks in the banner is so minor compared to the other shit that's said about her, both here and in other parts of the internet.

I also just don't think anyone needs to argue the point further to justify why her artwork needs to be updated when the issue of it not accurately representing her relationship with her mother is valid in itself. 

I should also note that this has been brought up multiple times before, both in Venus' subforum and in the New Banner Thread. Which I don't blame anyone for not knowing as not everyone checks out those topics. I just want to be clear that I've been aware of the issue, and have sought out permission to get the banner updated when it was brought up months ago. 

For the record, I was interested in replacing Venus's work with the edit Photoshopchan created a while back. Which is still an option, as I got permission from Photoshopchan to use their work in the banner. 

But personally, I don't see that it's an issue many ppl care about as we only get suggestions for editing/updating the banner once every couple of months. Maybe that's just because no one has opened the topic up to discussion in a separate thread, but idk, you'd think that if there was a strong desire for it more ppl would come forward, or even create a new thread centered around updating/replacing the banner in general. 

To be clear where I stand on this issue: I'm not interested in updating the current banner, nor am I in favor of handing it off to someone else to update. The reason being I don't have the time to work on it, let alone supervise someone else regarding keeping the work consistent (in addition to ensuring that the artist gets everything done in a reasonable amount of time). Which isn't to say there's no one here that's capable of doing so. It's just that it would be easier to have 1 person put together a banner thats similar in production/style to the one johndoe posted. 

Also, I vote that whoever creates the new banner uses glitterboo to add sparkle effects. Not too many, just enough to give it some bling. 

Posted

It would be a shame to have a new banner when this one is so great and clearly a lot of work has gone into it. I think it would be a cool idea to have a cycling banner like some other forums do. It would be interesting to see what people come up with, and the page can just show a random one each time so that nothing has to be replaced.

Posted

It would be a shame to have a new banner when this one is so great and clearly a lot of work has gone into it. I think it would be a cool idea to have a cycling banner like some other forums do. It would be interesting to see what people come up with, and the page can just show a random one each time so that nothing has to be replaced.

Don't some forums have the option to switch between layouts? Maybe banners could be relegated to specific layouts or something. 

Posted

If the time comes where the banner is changed, there needs to be a poll on who is depicted on the banner. Some 'flakes are falling out of relevancy while others are rising.