• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Exfoliating face/body everyday

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello. I've done some research lately on the exfoliation matter and I'm still not sure wether to do it everyday or only once a week. do you guys exfoliate your face every day? And if so do you do it in the morning or at night? I'm scared it might be too harsh for the skin, but so many people recommend it. I exfoliate my body only once a week.

Posted

Many dermatologists say that you should NOT exfoliate your face with products that contain granules because they are very harsh on the sensitive skin on your face. However they do support gentle chemical exfoliation as it is better for the skin. 

I'd say once a week is the better and healthier option for your skin, however chemical exfoliators are more recommended.

Posted

I don't even exfoliate everyday because I find my skin likes BHA every second day (being somewhat oily and not sensitive skin). As for any physical exfoliants (scrubs... and I'd put peeling gels here), I'd only use once a week. I don't like scrubs, but I'll use those peeling gels just because I have them. I'd much rather chemically exfoliate my face. I only use actives at night, but that's my preference. As for my body, I liked using exfoliating gloves and those body brushes. 

Posted

I use a chemical exfoliant (Nip+Fab Extreme Night Fix Pads) generally once a week at night. I have oily skin and use it when my t-zone gets noticeably dull and congested. My skin gets irritated if I try to do it more frequently. 

Posted

I don't like daily physical exfoliation, and agree with everyone else that chemical is a better alternative. In my experience chemical was so gentle it only felt like I was putting on water whenever I used AHA (Skin2Spirit brand) and I could see the dullness and bumpiness slowly pull away.

Physical exfoliation was always risky because I didn't know how much was too much until it was too late when it came to scrubs, spin brushes, using hands... etc.

Posted

I agree with everyone on chemical exfoliation. Every other day for me, my skin is a bit sensitive and despite using products that aren’t harsh I wouldn’t use them daily for that reason. (I’m currently trying the 5% lactic acid and 2% HA by the Ordinary and actually quite like it.) If my skin wasn’t so sensitive maybe I’d try daily use. Also I’d say starting slow when you’re new to chemical exfoliants is better. I currently don’t use scrubs at all. However, I do use a konjac sponge regularly and those (very) mildly exfoliate as well. 

Posted

As @House said, yea exfoliating your skin (body and face) isn’t dermatologically recommended at all. If you have sensitive skin like me I would recommend exfoliating 2-3 times a week with a gentle chemical exfoliant. I would recommend this:

http://www.thebodyshop.com.au/shop-by-range/drops-of-youth/drops-of-youth-liquid-peel?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrsK87uCC2AIVwxwrCh1WbAJCEAQYAyABEgJSc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#.Wi7lB2LZWEc

it is good at what it claims and has worked for a lot of skin types. I tried it on my partners tough and oily skin type and he LOVED it. I find it non irritating and very gentle with my sensitive normal skin.

hope this helps! :alpacashocked:

Posted

i heard that exfoliating too often can make your skin more resistant? if true, then you shouldn't because that defeat the purpose. i exfoliate 2 times a week, leaving three days in between exfoliations. i also do a pore tightening mask afterwards.

Posted

Hello. I've done some research lately on the exfoliation matter and I'm still not sure wether to do it everyday or only once a week. do you guys exfoliate your face every day? And if so do you do it in the morning or at night? I'm scared it might be too harsh for the skin, but so many people recommend it. I exfoliate my body only once a week.

DO NOT do it every day

that is not what you want to do because that can and will totally, to put in easy terms, fak up your skin in the long run

it is recommended to exfoliate once or twice a week max but not for everyone though, people like me with very sensitive skin (red as well) need to be careful

Posted (edited)

Edited by moriresvivir

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this sounds stupid but can someone explain to me what a chemical exfoliation is? I've been trying to look after them but I haven't been able to find any. Do they go under another name like toners or something? :alpacaconfused:

Edited by Sunflowers

Posted

I exfoliated my face every day and i can tell that it was the worst decision ever. I got super red and my pimples got sensitive so i had to stop using products for 3 days.

Posted

Sorry if this sounds stupid but can someone explain to me what a chemical exfoliation is? I've been trying to look after them but I haven't been able to find any. Do they go under another name like toners or something? :alpacaconfused:

When people talk sbout chemical exfoliants, they usually mean formulas contain AHAs and/or BHAs. They have a watery consistency and feel like a toner, and are a lot less harsh and more effective than scrubs.

I use The Ordinary's glycolic acid toner and salicylic acid 2% every second day and it works just fine for me (I have dry, blemish prone skin)

Posted

When people talk sbout chemical exfoliants, they usually mean formulas contain AHAs and/or BHAs. They have a watery consistency and feel like a toner, and are a lot less harsh and more effective than scrubs.

I use The Ordinary's glycolic acid toner and salicylic acid 2% every second day and it works just fine for me (I have dry, blemish prone skin)

Thank your so much. :alpacacrush:  I also have very dry skin so I always tried to avoid anything acid not knowing it was a peeling thingy. I should look for it!