• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

89 posts in this topic

Posted

shows that she does not really care what her friend thinks, she'll still wear that cheongsam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

since she's so proud of being Filipino why didn't she wear a baro't saya or even a modern filipiñiana??? 

Posted

Cheongsam is formal wear and is usually worn at special events like a wedding or Chinese New Year celebrations, not your school prom. Yes it is very much appropriating culture, wearing that for the sake of being different makes it very insincere and inappropriate. Just because you're Filipino, doesn't mean you can't appropriate other Asian cultures. You look ignorant trying to say otherwise.

Posted

She's literally 15. Y'all are taking cultural appropriation too far. I will always fight against cultural appropriation, but I know what is appropriation and what is appreciation. I think she was being respectful, she was given the Qi Pao as a gift and wanted to wear it to a celebration that was important to her. If you were to apply your logic to all cultures: korean rappers should be condemned to hell for appropriating black hip hop culture. Everyone who isn't japanese but cosplays is a disgusting pig. Everyone who isn't korean but listens to kpop is a fetishizer. 

There's a difference between appropriation and appreciation and I believe that she appreciated Chinese culture. You're ignorant for ignoring the larger perspective. This is the result of globalization and you are using your "social justice" to push your own agenda. That agenda being to hate on a 15 year old girl and bring her down.

Her intent was not malicious. Recognize that respect and ignorance are very different things. 

Posted

She's literally 15. Y'all are taking cultural appropriation too far. I will always fight against cultural appropriation, but I know what is appropriation and what is appreciation. I think she was being respectful, she was given the Qi Pao as a gift and wanted to wear it to a celebration that was important to her. If you were to apply your logic to all cultures: korean rappers should be condemned to hell for appropriating black hip hop culture. Everyone who isn't japanese but cosplays is a disgusting pig. Everyone who isn't korean but listens to kpop is a fetishizer. 

There's a difference between appropriation and appreciation and I believe that she appreciated Chinese culture. You're ignorant for ignoring the larger perspective. This is the result of globalization and you are using your "social justice" to push your own agenda. That agenda being to hate on a 15 year old girl and bring her down.

Her intent was not malicious. Recognize that respect and ignorance are very different things. 

Can't stay I completely disagree with you but

hello julolaes

Posted (edited)

You do not know the whole background of the story. If I wanted to, I can post more screenshots that support my argument of cultural appropriation that she had committed and her ill intentions, but due to the sake of anonymity of several other users that wish to not be involved, I do not have consent to post their screenshots of certain conservations. 

Also, in my first post in regards to CA, the screenshot says that she was given the cheongsam as a gift from her boyfriend's mom. I have a screenshot that proves that she was lying. In fact, she admitted to someone that she had actually requested her mother to buy the cheongsam online. She had only lied about her boyfriend's mom in order to find an excuse to wear the cheongsam. I would post the screenshot, but like I said- I want to respect the anonymity of other people involved. I have several other screenshots that show her lies and the loophole with each story that she tells each person. She changes the story up with each person to get what she wants and find a way to wear the cheongsam. I even have a screenshot ADMITTING that she thinks a cheongsam lacks significant meaning and that it's just like any other dress, proving that she cares very little about respecting the culture especially when she claims that it's "stupid" as quoted from the screenshot.

Reminder: She asked around several people to find a excuse to wear the cheongsam and mainly because she was only scared of getting bash rather than wanting to actually respect the culture. Many Chinese people told her that it wasn't okay, but she still did it anyway. That already proves that she was being disrespectful to the people of the culture by not following their wishes. 

No one is saying that she can't wear the cheongsam. People just want her to be respectful of the culture and wear it at an appropriate event such as Chinese wedding, a festival, or maybe New Year, but to homecoming is completely disrespectful especially since her goal is just to "look different." 

Edit: Defend her all you want. By doing so, you're making her think that what she's doing is OKAY. She won't learn from this. I understand she's still learning and growing, but she needs to accept that when she's doing something wrong, she OWNS up to it- not make shitty excuses and continue on with her web of lies. Hell, she can't even keep up the same lies. You can continue to white knight her, but just know that I'm the one with the screenshots. I have ALL the evidence. 

Edited by ricebolls

Posted (edited)

Edited by *

Posted

Personally, I don't think cultural appropriation is a big deal, but I just don't understand why she didn't wear something from her filipino culture? did it not look unique enough to her? orrrrrr

Posted

Side note: I apologize if I'm getting a bit too political and stepping over boundaries. I'm moreso irritated when an individual is hypocritical. I can't stand people who preach about social justice and attempt to prolong a "woke" image when they are in fact the complete opposite. Apparently being "woke" is some method of gaining followers nowadays. Instead of using her platform to spread her so called social justice beliefs, she only uses it as a way to spread ignorance and make a fool of herself. 

Posted

Showing a lot of snowflakey signs and we're only 4 pages in

Posted

(Is she actually 15 or?) 

First of all, OP had already said that the qipao wasn't a gift before you posted this. And qipao's aren't really meant to be worn to anything that you think is a celebration LMAO. Speaking as an actual Chinese person, I think it was very rude of her to 1) lie about the qipao being a gift, 2) wear it to something like homecoming (and a red qipao!! Are you kidding me!! Red is rarely ever worn outside of Chinese New Year or weddings; if she was truly appreciating my culture, don't you think she would've checked that? I'm nearly 20 and my grandparents wouldn't even let me try a red one on) 3) Claim that she's "not Chinese but I'm Asian" like the two are almost the same? No, it's not the same/interchangeable? 

Cosplays and Kpop are also much more modern things, and while I do agree that cultural appropriation is rampant in those communities as well, it is not the same as taking something that's existed since the Qing Dynasty (though I'll also admit that hers is the Westernized version popularized in the 1920s) and...wear it to homecoming...

And why is her date also wearing a red cheongsam top? Are they getting married? 

Posted

god, the secondhand embarassment I'm getting from her prom pics...

:beardo:

Posted

Personally, I don't think cultural appropriation is a big deal, but I just don't understand why she didn't wear something from her filipino culture? did it not look unique enough to her? orrrrrr

My point, I think she is just fetishizing Chinese culture. I honestly wont mind someone wearing some of the Spanish traditional dresses to a prom even if they are not Spanish but she is straight up fetishizing it...same with the makeup, it wasnt Filipina, it was straight up Chinese... and her poor excuse 'its because my bf is Chinese' yeah no, thats you not appreciating the culture and just using it because of your bf. 

Posted

cosplay started in america, hun. 

but anyways, no one is hating on her here. everyone's trying to educate her, people here are trying to help. she seemed worried about wearing the qipao (she could foresee the probability of herself getting bashed on which should have been a sign to not wear it anywars), and someone already warned her but i guess she didn't listen. gossip and advice ain't 'hate'. a lot of people are trying to advise someone who's young and maybe needs to hear from someone who knows more before she does certain things.

as someone said above, she could have worn a traditional filipino dress instead! a maria clara dress or baro't saya would have looked stunning as a prom dress/outfit! it's just a shame that she had to resort to lying about and end up using the qipao, honestly.

Posted

as someone said above, she could have worn a traditional filipino dress instead! a maria clara dress or baro't saya would have looked stunning as a prom dress/outfit! it's just a shame that she had to resort to lying about and end up using the qipao, honestly.

Not only that these dresses would have been a beautiful alternative for her homecoming dress, a qipao is designed to have minimal movements. It's just not practical for this kind of event that requires a lot of movement and dancing

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, does anyone have proof that she is 15? I tried to find information and saw an article of some sort saying that she's 15.

If she actually is, I will have to shut down the thread as discussion of people under 16 is not permitted.

Also, under the new thread rules, people under 10,000 followers is not allowed. I will let this slide as it was made a few days before the change, but I just wanted people to be aware of this.

Edited by mahoushojo