• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

89 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

In response to this post:

IMG_4419.thumb.PNG.97616816608a914209f79

I've created a compilation of links and sources to argue against her stance claiming that the makeup look she recreated was a representation of old Filipino beauty standards. In a way, she is correct considering the fact that westernization and colonization influenced Filipino beauty standards. Judging from the picture, she's attempting to imitate the universal makeup look during the 1900s. At the same time, she is wrong. I'm not sure how to put this into words since I'm not the best at articulating my thoughts, but I wouldn't necessarily label this purely as Filipino beauty standards. I had a problem with her caption where she talks about to embrace her Filipino culture BUT it seems as if she's spreading the wrong message: Embrace the western influence and colonization on Filipino culture. This makes Filipinos think that colonization is OKAY and to ignore the negative consequences of colonization and how it has erased our roots and our traditions. This only reinforces the colonial mentality that many Filipinos suffer from today. 

I was scrolling through her page and found a comment attempting to educate her in a polite manner, and I decided I would add on to that with the sources that I have collected.

IMG_4455.thumb.JPG.57b9aa2cf04fed435578b

Julolaes seemed to only respond with hostility, claiming that she is being "bullied" despite how polite and respectful the person was in regards to educating her. It seems as if she's thick-headed and refuses to admit her ignorance and correct her caption.

IMG_4456.thumb.JPG.6a0b6ef039577a594be3c

The first two links explain how colonialism and westernization influenced Filipino beauty standards. It mainly refers to the aspect of skin whitening, but I still feel as if these two sources accurately explain how colonialism plays a role in Filipino beauty standards.

http://digitalassets.lib.berkeley.edu/etd/ucb/text/Rondilla_berkeley_0028E_12807.pdf

http://www.ncurproceedings.org/ojs/index.php/NCUR2015/article/download/1358/771

The next two sources refer to Filipino beauty standards BEFORE colonialism and without the influence of westernization, which I feel is what Filipinos NEED to embrace. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27539510

http://www.pilipino-express.com/history-a-culture/in-other-words/3249-what-did-pre-colonial-filipinos-look-like.html

Lastly, this source just explains the history of makeup especially in the 1940s in regards to the universal red lip. 

http://glamourdaze.com/history-of-makeup/1940s

Woo! I apologize for how long this post is. I didn't want to give a long history lesson, but I felt the need to fight her ignorance with FACTS. A Filipino instagrammer with such a large platform for other Filipinos need to realize the message that they spread. I get that her intentions were good, but they were ignorant and if she wishes for Filipinos to truly embrace their culture, then she needs to make sure that she provides accurate information. This isn't the kind of representation that Filipinos need. They do not need a problematic/ignorant individual to represent them. 

I hope that no one  perceives this as "hate" or "bullying." I'm merely educating with facts and spreading knowledge. If you are to post false information on the internet with a false message, it's your responsibility to educate yourself in order to provide a better representation for your Filipino followers.

NOTE: EDUCATING VS BULLYING ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT CONCEPTS.

you put my thoughts into words.

the fact that she's claiming this as a Filipino Pride/Culture thing, rubs me the wrong way. She also seems to not take opinions different from hers well, those responses are aggressive and quite immature.

I'm willing to listen if she gives the sources and backing research behind this look as she seems so cemented to the claim that this is how Filipinas in the old times do their makeup, yet she hasn't even shown whatever proof or photos she used as basis. 

Edited by Soymilk

Posted

^ Agreed agreed! Hell I am not well versed in the Filipino culture other than what I've heard from exes, friends, and people who are Filo, but even I know that pretending that colonization and the standards that followed with it is a pride just pisses me off a great deal. Not did she cover why these standards are there, when it was, or what happened during that time. Safiya Nygaard is a prime example of how you should go about recreating looks from back when. Offer education about the look and then present it, don't just be uneducated about it and then blow up when people call one out for it.

Man, this girl is close to getting put into the flake section (shouldn't we have one for aggressive/butthurt type flakes soon?).

Posted

This is so head ass. This isn't a "look" 

IMG_1029.PNG

Posted

I will be rude here and ask: why is she instafamous? She is not pretty, she is not interesting, she is just really boring. :alpacaconfused:

Posted

I will be rude here and ask: why is she instafamous? She is not pretty, she is not interesting, she is just really boring. :alpacaconfused:

Because of her twitter screenshots lmao

Posted

This is so head ass. This isn't a "look" 

IMG_1029.PNG

This isn't even trying to bring awareness or anything anymore. This is a huge call for attention on herself with poorly executed makeup. Even if some people aren't that good at makeup, their work still has effort and meaning put in. She doesn't even have either of those two things. Quite frankly, I'm not seeing anything that she can offer at this point if she keep on making posts like this. Maybe if there's an eventual progression in her makeup somewhere in the future, I'll keep an eye out, but now I don't want to see her gain any attention by using breast cancer awareness month for her own personal gain and a few extra likes and followers

Posted (edited)

This isn't even trying to bring awareness or anything anymore. This is a huge call for attention on herself with poorly executed makeup. Even if some people aren't that good at makeup, their work still has effort and meaning put in. She doesn't even have either of those two things. Quite frankly, I'm not seeing anything that she can offer at this point if she keep on making posts like this. Maybe if there's an eventual progression in her makeup somewhere in the future, I'll keep an eye out, but now I don't want to see her gain any attention by using breast cancer awareness month for her own personal gain and a few extra likes and followers

Honestly, I don't mind posts that spread awareness with the use of makeup looks; however, I feel like she'd have a better effect of spreading awareness if she had included educational and informative information in her caption. Perhaps she could've included a brief description of breast cancer as well as some organizations that people can donate to and other ways that people can help. Seeing as how she didn't spread awareness in an informative manner, it really does look like she's just using this as a way for her own personal gain of followers.

EDIT: Well, her caption wasn't exactly informative, but it's good to know that she's actually doing something by donating! She even put a link in her bio.

EDIT AGAIN: Originally, her previous caption didn't mention anything about donating, but it looks like she edited it.

IMG_4521.PNG

IMG_4522.PNG

Edited by ricebolls

Posted

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. Shitty pink make up that's going to bring awareness to YOU rather than breast cancer is honestly disrespectful regardless of her intentions 

Posted

Don't tell me she's starting something dumb

1.PNG

Posted

IMG_4677.JPG

Posted

IMG_4676.JPG

Posted (edited)

A PAGE THAT BULLIES INSTAGRAMMERS PFFFT AHAHAHAHAH hello dear if ever you are reading thread is you're a disgrace in the filipino community byE  your filipino inspired make up is a big no no do you really think filipinos sport those make up nah not really since it is inspired by the western make up. Second doing that pink shitty make up doesnt help to bring awareness of breast cancer sorry not sorry. Third you're a public figure nos lmao you'll get hate and critisim ofcourse accept it and be mature about it and no we are not bullying you does this look like bullying lol were just simply talking about you because YOU ARE AN INTERNET PERSONALITY 🤗 Ok spread luv

Edited by Kazukii
spelling errors

Posted

I think that rather of doing filipino's old beauty standards she just made a heavier ver (eye makeup mainly) of the historical Chinese, Japanese and Korean, which resembles a lot what she did (and it was before the red lip trend in the west), looking at how she used the qipao as well she seems pretty obsessed with Chinese culture somehow. 

Also please stop making people that post dumb twitter ss famous. 

Posted

I really don't understand why this girl had such a need to wear traditional attire from a completely different culture when she could have just worn stuff from her own (especially since she's ALLLL about being "proud" of oneself) :alpacaworry:

I wouldn't be surprised if she still wore the garment regardless of whether her friend sat down and explained to her (girl could've just messaged an anti asian racism instagram page about this too).

It honestly just looks to me as if she wore what she did just to feel "different from anyone else" :/

Posted (edited)

I really don't understand why this girl had such a need to wear traditional attire from a completely different culture when she could have just worn stuff from her own (especially since she's ALLLL about being "proud" of oneself) :alpacaworry:

I wouldn't be surprised if she still wore the garment regardless of whether her friend sat down and explained to her (girl could've just messaged an anti asian racism instagram page about this too).

It honestly just looks to me as if she wore what she did just to feel "different from anyone else" :/

SEVERAL people had explained to her why it was inappropriate to wear a cheongsam to homecoming especially when she is not Chinese. She complains about how there's a thread on her yet even though many people had explained to her kindly why it was wrong, she had still wore the cheongsam. Thread or not, she would have wore it regardless. Proves to show that she only uses "social justice" and "praising the asian" posts for clout when truthfully, she's ignorant upon these issues. She obviously cares more about getting bashed rather than respecting a culture despite the amount of Chinese people who disapprove of her wearing a cheongsam for homecoming. I definitely agree with you. If she really wanted to show representation, she could've worn a dress from her Filipino culture since apparently she's oh so proud of it as she claims and preaches about embracing her Filipino side. 

Edited by ricebolls