• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

2567 posts in this topic

Posted

Not so much just mikan oriented, but as a whole: that video gave me serious anxiety.
3 hours to get in line and get seated in a place like Starbucks sounds crazy for me. We have Starbucks here in some main tourist spots but if you ever want something, you just go in, order and it's done.

I've been told recently that for a lot of "special" cafes there or even some event-stores you need to go on a "lottery" system to have a -chance- to attend and then you still have the queues regardless on the mornings to possibly get a seat / entrance. Also a lot of restaurants only working via reservations and having huge queues for lunch... I get it might be because of the huge concentration of people just in Tokyo? Still really hard for me to fathom such a reality.

It seems like you have to waste a whole day or afternoon just to score a place to sit inside there. Like 3 hours to take a coffee or a beverage with a couple of friends, which could be done in 5 to 10 minutes. They seem very used to it but I still feel somewhat panicked and they didn't even show the full extent time, just cuts and so. They admitted it is because of the hype peak but it should be the same when it is during sakura season and such. For such a quick pace city, I find it also weird how in so many hours you can accomplish so little and there has to be a lot of planning (reservation, lottery, queue) in the mixture.

ALSO, I reaaally liked Max, she seemed super cool and nice, and her boyfriend is very good in English and nice as well (him giving his seat was considerate). I feel them made the video even nicer just because they were good additions to it and a likeble squad.
This was an enjoyable video and I much preferred it to the ones she did alone or in collab with venus and such.

Posted (edited)

Not so much just mikan oriented, but as a whole: that video gave me serious anxiety.
3 hours to get in line and get seated in a place like Starbucks sounds crazy for me. We have Starbucks here in some main tourist spots but if you ever want something, you just go in, order and it's done.

I've been told recently that for a lot of "special" cafes there or even some event-stores you need to go on a "lottery" system to have a -chance- to attend and then you still have the queues regardless on the mornings to possibly get a seat / entrance. Also a lot of restaurants only working via reservations and having huge queues for lunch... I get it might be because of the huge concentration of people just in Tokyo? Still really hard for me to fathom such a reality.

It seems like you have to waste a whole day or afternoon just to score a place to sit inside there. Like 3 hours to take a coffee or a beverage with a couple of friends, which could be done in 5 to 10 minutes. They seem very used to it but I still feel somewhat panicked and they didn't even show the full extent time, just cuts and so. They admitted it is because of the hype peak but it should be the same when it is during sakura season and such. For such a quick pace city, I find it also weird how in so many hours you can accomplish so little and there has to be a lot of planning (reservation, lottery, queue) in the mixture.

ALSO, I reaaally liked Max, she seemed super cool and nice, and her boyfriend is very good in English and nice as well (him giving his seat was considerate). I feel them made the video even nicer just because they were good additions to it and a likeble squad.
This was an enjoyable video and I much preferred it to the ones she did alone or in collab with venus and such.

a lot of people asked for Max's insta and commented on her style than the actual video and honestly she is level-headed. However Mikan replied to a few that Max's account is private. she could ask her i guess but i dk

Edited by What-hotsauce
duplication

Posted

a lot of people asked for Max's insta and commented on her style than the actual video and honestly she is level-headed. However Mikan replied to a few that Max's account is private. she could ask her i guess but i dk

Max’s account is private but she’ll approve you either way (at least she did approve my follow request). 

This is her account if anyone IS curious: 

F0A3385B-038F-43E9-91D7-1BA56DDB9ACF.jpeg

Posted

was no one else completely tired of her complaining multiple times throughout the video about the same thing? by the third time she said "we waited 3 hours and couldn't find seats for an hour," i couldn't help but roll my eyes. this place just opened and its the biggest branch of the biggest coffee cooperation in one of the busiest cities in the world. the woman outside told you it would be like this. what did you expect honestly??

i understand complaining and i also understand warning your followers but once or twice should be enough. why not edit out literally the other 4 times complaining about the same thing? she could have shed off a good 5 mins or so on that video imo. 

Posted

Max’s account is private but she’ll approve you either way (at least she did approve my follow request). 

This is her account if anyone IS curious: 

F0A3385B-038F-43E9-91D7-1BA56DDB9ACF.jpeg

she approved mine too.

was no one else completely tired of her complaining multiple times throughout the video about the same thing? by the third time she said "we waited 3 hours and couldn't find seats for an hour," i couldn't help but roll my eyes. this place just opened and its the biggest branch of the biggest coffee cooperation in one of the busiest cities in the world. the woman outside told you it would be like this. what did you expect honestly??

i understand complaining and i also understand warning your followers but once or twice should be enough. why not edit out literally the other 4 times complaining about the same thing? she could have shed off a good 5 mins or so on that video imo. 

don't forget she even posted about her complain on her ig. so yeah a video of her complaining multiple times and an ig post too. okay girl we get, we totally do.

IMG_4694.thumb.PNG.89d62d7daa46039399a0b

Posted

Yeah, I’ve gotten upper-mid-tier designer clothes at Book Off for like ¥300-¥1000. For ¥3000 for a used blouse it better be Gucci, damn. 

In Harajuku there are a lot of "vintage" thrift stores and those are more expensive than buying new clothes because of them being "vintage". I also get good deals at Book Off (still mad they closed my fave spot in Shibuya) but I've tried thrifting in Harajuku and there was nothing thrifty about it.

She admitted to the nose job a while ago! I had a mutual friend with her from Facebook who leaked that she had a nose job before she went public with it though lol, I think she was trying to hide it at first but decided to come clean about it eventually, don’t know which post it is sadly and I don’t think there’s pictures of her old nose because before the nose job she used to take outfit pictures without showing her face if I’m correct? 

How did she afford her nose job? I was really touched by her video talking about all the terrible part time jobs she took to afford coming here and how much she roughed it both while saving up and once arriving. If she has money for a nose job that kind of debunks that whole story, esp. since she's been a student all the while she's been here and says she never stopped working while in England saving up (for three years I think).

For some reason this pic to me scream 'SCAM ALERT' ,,

I know she lived in UK for some time to know very good English but do the apps require u to have a certificate from a British uni or teaching program to qualify to teach on the apps also like a background check? To me it seems shes charging too much without having a teaching degree or proper formal background in teaching...I could be wrong idk just my opinion. 

Just FYI you don't need any kind of teaching background or degree or anything like that to teach English in Japan. You need: 12 years of education in an English speaking country and for your passport/nationality to be of a native English speaking country. To get a visa (which Mikan does not need since she is on a student visa) you need a BA in absolutely ANYTHING. If you already have a visa, you don't need any type of degree, just a high school diploma. You can get hired under those terms at any eikaiwa (English language school) in Japan such as Gaba or Aeon. If you want to work in public schools, some do require a teaching certificate, but not all.

The general going rate for private lessons in Tokyo is about 3,000~3,500. I don't see anything wrong with what she is doing so long as she's following the rules of how many hours a student can work per week in Japan: 28 hours while at uni, 20 hours while at a language school.

Posted

In Harajuku there are a lot of "vintage" thrift stores and those are more expensive than buying new clothes because of them being "vintage". I also get good deals at Book Off (still mad they closed my fave spot in Shibuya) but I've tried thrifting in Harajuku and there was nothing thrifty about it.

How did she afford her nose job? I was really touched by her video talking about all the terrible part time jobs she took to afford coming here and how much she roughed it both while saving up and once arriving. If she has money for a nose job that kind of debunks that whole story, esp. since she's been a student all the while she's been here and says she never stopped working while in England saving up (for three years I think).

Just FYI you don't need any kind of teaching background or degree or anything like that to teach English in Japan. You need: 12 years of education in an English speaking country and for your passport/nationality to be of a native English speaking country. To get a visa (which Mikan does not need since she is on a student visa) you need a BA in absolutely ANYTHING. If you already have a visa, you don't need any type of degree, just a high school diploma. You can get hired under those terms at any eikaiwa (English language school) in Japan such as Gaba or Aeon. If you want to work in public schools, some do require a teaching certificate, but not all.

The general going rate for private lessons in Tokyo is about 3,000~3,500. I don't see anything wrong with what she is doing so long as she's following the rules of how many hours a student can work per week in Japan: 28 hours while at uni, 20 hours while at a language school.

actually you can work up to 28 hours at language school as well btw. 

Posted (edited)

Bunka still requires you to prove you have at least an N2 proficiency either by taking the JLPT, taking the EIJ (I think that’s the acronym) or proving you studied Japanese for at least 6 months in Japan.

6 months at a language school doesn't equal JLPT2 though. JLPT2 takes 2 full years of schooling and many people still can't pass anything above 3 after that.

32072DD8-8A3D-4609-BA0E-F799D14F2EA5.png

The price depends on which major she's going to. The entrance fee (one time) is 260,000 to 300,000 yen (2,400~2,800 US dollars). From there you have 2 payments for school, one per semester. The first payment is between $325,000~ $360,000 ($3,100~$3,500 US dollars) plus material fees 90,000~190,000 yen ($850~$1,750), textbooks 40,000~50,000 ($350~$450) and association fees 4,500 yen ($40). You then have second semester payment that you can pay after, an additional 325,000~360,000 yen ($3,100~$3,500 US dollars). So for the first year, Mikan has to pay out of pocket $6,740 and then another $3,100 minimum a few months later.

I hope she doesn’t plan on working in Japan in the future after school, because it’s very hard to get a work visa without a 4 year degree. Even if a company wants to sponsor your visa, oftentimes immigration will deny you a work visa if you don’t have either a bachelors degree or 10 years of professional experience. 

This is not true if you attend a Japanese senmon gakko. It is the only way to get a working visa in Japan without having to fulfill the Bachelor's Degree or 5-10 years experience (depending on the field) requirement. It needs to be a real senmon gakko, it can't be some of the fake fashion schools like Vantan, but Bunka is accredited and if she gets a job in whatever she majors in (so for example if she gets a job as a stylist after going to fashion design school) she can get the visa without any further qualifications. I started my own company but I considered going the same route because I don't have a BA. For me using the $$ to start a company made a lot more sense but everyone is different.

As for the money, she says, she got promoted in her job, and saved a lot of money (apparently she saved half of her paycheck every month), the rest of the money she needed she lent from her mother.

I wonder how much she earns at her job. Minimum wage in Japan is 1050 yen per hour and she's only legally allowed to work 20 hours a week as a language student. This includes Youtube (which she has to report on her Japanese taxes but I bet she doesn't). Even ignoring Youtube, if she worked the max 20 hours per week at minimum wage it would be about 21,000 yen per week and her rent is already 60,000 yen a month. Meanwhile she's paying for language school which is expensive, her train pass, food, utilities bills (another $100 a month at least with internet) etc etc. She hasn't been here very long to be promoted to double her pay or anything.

Edited by daydreamcarnival

Posted

6 months at a language school doesn't equal JLPT2 though. JLPT2 takes 2 full years of schooling and many people still can't pass anything above 3 after that.

The price depends on which major she's going to. The entrance fee (one time) is 260,000 to 300,000 yen (2,400~2,800 US dollars). From there you have 2 payments for school, one per semester. The first payment is between $325,000~ $360,000 ($3,100~$3,500 US dollars) plus material fees 90,000~190,000 yen ($850~$1,750), textbooks 40,000~50,000 ($350~$450) and association fees 4,500 yen ($40). You then have second semester payment that you can pay after, an additional 325,000~360,000 yen ($3,100~$3,500 US dollars). So for the first year, Mikan has to pay out of pocket $4,340 and then another $3,100 minimum a few months later.

This is not true if you attend a Japanese senmon gakko. It is the only way to get a working visa in Japan without having to fulfill the Bachelor's Degree or 5-10 years experience (depending on the field) requirement. It needs to be a real senmon gakko, it can't be some of the fake fashion schools like Vantan, but Bunka is accredited and if she gets a job in whatever she majors in (so for example if she gets a job as a stylist after going to fashion design school) she can get the visa without any further qualifications. I started my own company but I considered going the same route because I don't have a BA. For me using the $$ to start a company made a lot more sense but everyone is different.

I wonder how much she earns at her job. Minimum wage in Japan is 1050 yen per hour and she's only legally allowed to work 20 hours a week as a language student. This includes Youtube (which she has to report on her Japanese taxes but I bet she doesn't). Even ignoring Youtube, if she worked the max 20 hours per week at minimum wage it would be about 21,000 yen per week and her rent is already 60,000 yen a month. Meanwhile she's paying for language school which is expensive, her train pass, food, utilities bills (another $100 a month at least with internet) etc etc. She hasn't been here very long to be promoted to double her pay or anything.

that’s what bunka wants if they didn’t think it was good enough it wouldn’t be an option. Also some people are better at Japanese than others. One girl got in after brushing up her Japanese for a year, her major was Japanese. 

6 months is the minimum so if the applicant feels confident after that amount of time and the language school agrees you can’t precen them from applying.

Posted

actually you can work up to 28 hours at language school as well btw. 

Ok my ryugaku years are behind me so I guess they changed it! That's a lot considering most upper level students are Chinese and work 2 jobs under the table....28 hours of work plus all those language school hours doesn't really provide for proper learning of the language which should include lots of immersion and socialization but I mean, Chinese is more understood in most of Tokyo than Japanese now so not surprised the govt doesn't care..really bothers me that nobody working at conbinis or donkis or denkiya stores can understand Japanese anymore, makes it hard for the majority of us who aren't Chinese. :/

Posted

Ok my ryugaku years are behind me so I guess they changed it! That's a lot considering most upper level students are Chinese and work 2 jobs under the table....28 hours of work plus all those language school hours doesn't really provide for proper learning of the language which should include lots of immersion and socialization but I mean, Chinese is more understood in most of Tokyo than Japanese now so not surprised the govt doesn't care..really bothers me that nobody working at conbinis or donkis or denkiya stores can understand Japanese anymore, makes it hard for the majority of us who aren't Chinese. :/

In my experience 28 hours is a pretty good medium, it equates to only four hours a day, also you can work 8 hours a day (40 hour work weeks) on school breaks. (Of course she doesn’t have to work that much if she doesn’t want/need to. 

I did freelance work while I was in Japan (not YouTube) in which I had overseas clients who transferred money into my American bank account, all done online, and it had nothing to do with Japan. I never included this in my taxes or the 28 hour work limit. According to my school administrator, online freelance work (which I’m sure YouTube falls under?) is a gray area with immigration and sort of follows the policy of “don’t ask don’t tell.” As long as it is entirely separate from Japan that is. She definitely doesn’t need to include YouTube into her work limit or considerations at all, in fact it would be pretty silly to do so. However, I didn’t do YouTube so I guess there could be a difference here that I’m unaware of.

Posted

Posted

nitpick but I got pretty distracted by her camera constantly going out of focus, and general shakiness despite having it on a tripod to help stabilize. she should better learn to use her camera if she wants to vlog like this.

Posted

Through a very quick Google search of the terms "mikan vina" (I was trying to find out if her real name was Vina), I came across this result:

Click Here - nsfw website

I have no idea if this is really Mikan or not, is anyone else aware of this or has this been discussed before? Just very curious. If this isn't Mikan it'd be great to make her aware of it since theres a full on picture of her face on there.

Also Hi im new, here for the goss

Posted

Through a very quick Google search of the terms "mikan vina" (I was trying to find out if her real name was Vina), I came across this result:

Click Here - nsfw website

I have no idea if this is really Mikan or not, is anyone else aware of this or has this been discussed before? Just very curious. If this isn't Mikan it'd be great to make her aware of it since theres a full on picture of her face on there.

Also Hi im new, here for the goss

i'm kinda skeptical about that tho, her kik was the same as mikan's username, there is a possibility that could be her and there is another possibility that it's not. unless there is further proof that it is actually mikan then her picture have been used to catfish people. that account was made in 2016.