• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

mikan.mandarin

1602 posts in this topic

Posted

reading on pull eh nice. anyways idk if this is the JLPT certificate or her passing N1 or something.

IMG_4258.thumb.PNG.28ac2b88c1622030f71d7

this is probably her paperwork for finishing language school

Posted

Seriously grow some thicker skin. Just because we’re speculating doesn’t mean you have to prove us wrong each time. 

Besides aren’t you confusing your fans by replying to PULL with little to no context?

I wish these online personalities would learn to ignore certain things

Posted

reading on pull eh nice. anyways idk if this is the JLPT certificate or her passing N1 or something.

IMG_4258.thumb.PNG.28ac2b88c1622030f71d7

This has nothing to do with the JLPT. The JLPT form is published online or is sent to individuals via mail on a glossy postcard sized tri fold letter. 

Posted

didn't she always complain about being busy and stuff? how can she be invested in following PULL and proving us wrong? well, strange because it seems to  me as a person who has too much time on their hands to waste.

Posted (edited)

Remember when she said in her videos that she had stopped reading “gossip threads” and was a lot happier lol... 

Also is that insta story actually a response to pull? Bc it’s obviously not proof of JLPT ..? I’m so confused lol 

Regardless I’m assuming she got into an English based degree program, there are many of them in Tokyo. (Famous ones are Temple, Sophia university, etc) Even if she really got THAT good at Japanese in a short period of time, I highly highly doubt she’s choosing to study completely in Japanese. 

Edited by Granola

Posted

I don't get why people get surprised that she reads PULL and wants to respond to us? Like if I were in her place and I was aware of speculations about me on an easily accessible forum I would be reading them. Maybe its just me.

(unrelated but) I personally think Mikan is by far one of the better "kawaii fashion" personalities imo. Like she is aware of what people say about her and isn't a snake from what I see. Nor does she really shade us (from what I've read) and feel like we are attacking her (because we aren't) unlike some personalities who play an innocent victim and request for fans to defend her. She is really mature and genuine whenever she gives advice like travel tips that are seriously useful like addressing groping for female viewers etc. Wouldn't be surprised if she even used PULL on a anon account herself and even posted outside of the thread on her lol. I really like her, she even came to clear things up before. (random rant but I just wanna say I think she's chill <3)

Posted

Mikan could come here herself and reply (using her own name and not a sockpuppet). There is no reason for her to post responses on Instagram or where ever.

Posted

i'm pretty sure you can still vlog at school without showing your teachers, classmates and schoolmates faces all the time it is still protecting their privacy. there are other youtubers who manage to not show their faces except friends on the video and while some actually show their teachers and other student's faces. i guess it really just depends on you and how you do it but really you could have just said you don't want to instead of giving an excuse cos it looks like you don't want people to hear you speak japanese at school. oh well whatever floats your boat mikan.

IMG_4271.thumb.PNG.f5f26dd935e53a6723643

Mikan could come here herself and reply (using her own name and not a sockpuppet). There is no reason for her to post responses on Instagram or where ever.

she probably can't open her account on PULL (forgot her password maybe) that's why she's not replying or she probably doesn't want to and just post on instagram story as an excuse. that girl complains and whines a lot on small details but still got time to read gossip forums even if she is really busy with her life so yeah excuses.

Posted

let's not forget that she is still considered a snowflake *even if she puts the chill front*. she chose to move to Japan in order to be popular or why wouldn't she start the YT channel years before she moved? imo, because she knows getting views and subscribers for just being in Japan is plausible and faster than actually having something *worth offering* like a talent or different content that would have allowed her to grow on her own. It is just the typical patterns of behaviour of a snowflake. she might not show it but in one of her videos she mentioned moving there because she is a weeb but then she backed off and retorted that it was a joke in another one. I have to say  any other country has many allures and interesting concepts to offer, it just defends on the personal skills and insight of the blogger to view and translate these features. her being an *influencer* is questionable imo. What people need to understand is that Japan is already over-presented as is. he media and in the jvloggers community, hence the fact that the society is just as normal in its foundation as any other is neglected and/or overshadowed. it is just my perspective, and i am open for discussion.

Posted (edited)

let's not forget that she is still considered a snowflake *even if she puts the chill front*. she chose to move to Japan in order to be popular or why wouldn't she start the YT channel years before she moved? imo, because she knows getting views and subscribers for just being in Japan is plausible and faster than actually having something *worth offering* like a talent or different content that would have allowed her to grow on her own. It is just the typical patterns of behaviour of a snowflake. she might not show it but in one of her videos she mentioned moving there because she is a weeb but then she backed off and retorted that it was a joke in another one. I have to say  any other country has many allures and interesting concepts to offer, it just defends on the personal skills and insight of the blogger to view and translate these features. her being an *influencer* is questionable imo. What people need to understand is that Japan is already over-presented as is. he media and in the jvloggers community, hence the fact that the society is just as normal in its foundation as any other is neglected and/or overshadowed. it is just my perspective, and i am open for discussion.

I agree with you about the part where she didn't start her channel until she moved to Japan because she knew the content she could make would be more marketable. However, I don't think she moved to Japan for the purpose of becoming popular. I believe she wanted to move to Japan because she likes anime and maybe had some interest in the language and culture (or thought it looked great from other youtubers). I think she made the decision to move to Japan and then had the idea of also being a YouTuber, both to create content for herself and because she knew she could probably make quite a bit of money if her videos got any traction. 

I don't really think of Mikan as an influencer, I just think of her as another J-vlogger and Instagram OOTD girl. However, I do think that she does j-vlogging a lot better than some others and she does also provide content that isn't solely all about Japan (or East Asian culture. Take Kim Dao, for example. She still lives in Perth but she acts like a j-vlogger. And when she can't do videos about Japan because she isn't there, she just does videos with Asian brands like YesStyle.) 

I do agree that Mikan is snowflakey, but for me it is more due to the fact that she edits her photos and stuff along those lines, and less due to her being a j-vlogger.

She certainly isn't the worst out there. She's no Kenna or Brianna Slaughter.

Edited by Cyrillic

Posted

i'm pretty sure you can still vlog at school without showing your teachers, classmates and schoolmates faces all the time it is still protecting their privacy. there are other youtubers who manage to not show their faces except friends on the video and while some actually show their teachers and other student's faces. i guess it really just depends on you and how you do it but really you could have just said you don't want to instead of giving an excuse cos it looks like you don't want people to hear you speak japanese at school. oh well whatever floats your boat mikan.

IMG_4271.thumb.PNG.f5f26dd935e53a6723643

she probably can't open her account on PULL (forgot her password maybe) that's why she's not replying or she probably doesn't want to and just post on instagram story as an excuse. that girl complains and whines a lot on small details but still got time to read gossip forums even if she is really busy with her life so yeah excuses.

it really depends on the school. a lot of language schools are more laid back these days but my friend went to one where the teacher openly despises cosplayers, otakus, kawaii fashion enthusiasts, etc. so even though she’s an active blogger & cosplayer she doesn’t discuss her school much in her public social medias. also, many schools don’t allow filming even for vlog purposes. filming stuff in secret in Japan can legit get you in trouble with the police.

and you know how crazy stalkers can be - if I remember Pewds and Marzia moved several times a few years ago because people kept on recognizing their apartment’s location from their apartment room tour videos so Marzia stopped from making those. perhaps Mikan wanted to avoid that. 

Posted (edited)

But what would be the point of vlogging at school if you have to go out of the way to hide everything? What is there to show anyway? I don't know what her average day at school is like but I'd assume that its not like regular school and there isn't really free time where she can just vlog and chit-chat with her friends, especially since she's apparently in a higher level course. I think its better for her to be in class and focus on the lesson instead of getting distracted while trying to make sure she gets enough proper footage while also protecting everyone's privacy, especially considering that she seems insecure about her Japanese skill and I bet that's why we haven't heard much of it. I also think if she just said "I'm not filming it because I don't want to" many people won't take that as a good enough reason or will think she's being lazy

Edited by Sugary

Posted (edited)

Yeah on the "weeb" part, I remember her saying that and I was kinda off put, she's not really saying that kind of stuff anymore though so you can see her growth and maturing.

I've been watching her channel since she was still in Europe and hadn't announced her move. And yes, she actually did start and even create videos on her channel before moving to Japan. Not 100% anime/japan related videos as well (but mostly :alpacabored:), she made an Ikea vlog, which is a topic not related to Japan at all. She also looks very young compared to now in her old videos so she was still very young and new so she maybe didn't consider what others would think when saying "weeb" and such constantly. :alpacaworry:

mikan-vid.PNG

I'm not gonna watch the video right now to see if she mentions Japan related stuff but I think you get my point. Her channel really shows her growth from calling herself a weeb to living in Japan to study  the language and get a job which sets a good example for her young audience which she does have. Because she isn't trying to put out the message that she's a model who dresses kawaii and lives in Tokyo. She has a job mentions that quite a lot which is good for young viewers to realize and understand since many kids who watch YouTube these days think "I just become a YouTuber and I'm set".

Young Fan She Met In Japan

mikanfan.PNG

She's just a good person to be in the spotlight imo. She's shown lots of growth as a person.

Edited by Lush Moonlight
added images and fixed you>young

Posted

She got into fashion college? In the USA all you need is a pulse and a rich daddy to do that. . .and I bet they'd even make an exception for the pulse part if your daddy is rich enough. 

Is getting into fashion college an accomplishment in Japan?