• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

2163 posts in this topic

Posted

4DF3083C-DA06-42D1-A38B-B2AF0A5843D5.jpeg

AEABEE46-2C33-4811-AEA8-212B9B8498AD.jpeg

Do Japanese girls even dress like this? She is cosplaying an entire people...

Posted (edited)

Interesting disussion but in my opinion the very main point has been left out. Being an "x-boo" for whatever country is when you pick very few stereotypes or one aspesct/section (for example pop-culture) and transfer it wrongly one-sided for the whole culture/country and glorify everything in an unrealistic way.

There is nothing wrong with liking pop-culture, there is nothing wrong with adapting styles be it make-up, fashion, food,...etc. Some people are bit too critical about it. We all have different ideals about certain aesthetics and if it is fullfilled by certain subcultures like eraly 90s kawai fashion in japan why not?

For example the middle european lolita scene (I cannot proper know how it is elswhere) hasn't so much real weeabos. It is mostly only about the fashion itself. At least I never experienced one person who wanted emigrate to japan or used single japanese words for being kawai-desu. The one and only thing some said is that it would be nice to have shops for trying the dresses on and that cuteness in general isn't that unaccepted in japan at least for younger girls compared to middle-northern europe where most dress in dark colours and the focus is more on reduced functionalism. 90s japanese Lolita fashion fills a hole for people who like it more colourful, cute and bright. Claiming such people are weaboos doesn't fit in my opinion.

Edited by Veeja

Posted (edited)

Interesting disussion but in my opinion the very main point has been left out. Being an "x-boo" for whatever country is when you pick very few stereotypes or one aspesct/section (for example pop-culture) and transfer it wrongly one-sided for the whole culture/country and glorify everything in an unrealistic way.

There is nothing wrong with liking pop-culture, there is nothing wrong with adapting styles be it make-up, fashion, food,...etc. Some people are bit too critical about it. We all have different ideals about certain aesthetics and if it is fullfilled by certain subcultures like eraly 90s kawai fashion in japan why not?

For example the middle european lolita scene (I cannot proper know how it is elswhere) hasn't so much real weeabos. It is mostly only about the fashion itself. At least I never experienced one person who wanted emigrate to japan or used single japanese words for being kawai-desu. The one and only thing some said is that it would be nice to have shops for trying the dresses on and that cuteness in general isn't that unaccepted in japan at least for younger girls compared to middle-northern europe where most dress in dark colours and the focus is more on reduced functionalism. 90s japanese Lolita fashion fills a hole for people who like it more colourful, cute and bright. Claiming such people are weaboos doesn't fit in my opinion.

I’m putting this under spoiler because I feel like this is derailing the thread

While the focus right now is on her style it’s not just the way she dresses alone that would make her a weeb, nobody is saying you can’t like a fashion style/anything that’s Japanese without being a weeaboo, it’s a mix of different things she does and her style just sort of adds on (even thought she doesn’t go overboard like claiming she’s part Japanese when she isn’t).

Edit: just wanted to add that at least in my eyes she fits the mold, and probably in others she doesn’t, it depends on what you think is too much for it to be just an interest.

[Spoiler/]

Edited by PlanetVenus

Posted

God those fluffy ball hair clips are so gross. I want to burn them.

Posted (edited)

In short: nope.

Regular girls are either into:

1. A 'mori girl-ish' soft look with baggy/loose clothing in pastel and cream-tones styled with messy curly hair usually in a bun, braids or ponytails. A sort of messy-but-cute-and-soft look.
  2. Or K-fashion inspired stuff (they're getting really popular with young girls)

Not even the current subcultures practice this sort of style. Have a look at: @tokyofashion on IG to see what subcultures wear these days.

Do you live here? Yes there are many girls who dress like this. Go to a Visual Kei live and you'll see tons of them. Mori girl is not popular right now and neither is K-fashion for girls (make up yes, fashion no, fashion is popular with guys).

If you go on the streets of Tokyo (let's pick Shinjuku) you'll see girls dressed like Mikan in Liz Lisa and Ank Rouge, youll see girls dressed in Lumine Kei (Mish Mash, Avan Lily etc) you'll see OL's (suits) you'll see lotsss of "casual kei" in UNIQLO and the like which is the most popular right now and has been for a few years. Liz Liza etc has been dying out but Ank Rouge is huge so it's sort of a darker "kawaii" as in "yami kawaii" and it's still very prevalent.....there's zero way you live in Tokyo if you think the styles you listed are what's in and if you've never seen at least a couple handfuls of girls a day dressed like Mikan. I'm also one of those girls but I'm not Japanese, although I can't say I like either of the outfits she has on here I do shop at Ank Rouge and their stuff sells out fast for a reason.

The only subculture that's absolutely DEAD is Lolita fashion. Dead as a doorknob.

ETA:

The type of girls who wear Ank and all of that are called "anaru kei" (yes, I know.. but that's not what it means). Google it and you'll find tons of Japanese girls in this style. It really irks me when you have people sitting at their computers all around the world declaring what people here are and are not wearing and the judging what a gaijin is doing because of what they assume. If you're not here then Google around in Japanese. Here, a real Japanese girl dressed just like Mikan. There are thousands of them out and about in Tokyo every single day.

Image result for アンク系

This is from a "trends" article from November 2018:

Image result for 流行ってる服

Current high school trends article:

Image result for 流行ってる服

Edited by daydreamcarnival

Posted

Personally I definitely saw that style around a lot when I was in Tokyo in November, but I feel like Mikan looks more... childish? If it makes sense? There's just something about most of Mikan's outfits that just doesn't work, I can't exactly pinpoint what though.

I think part of it is because she has a penchant for bright, loud colors (especially red and pink), and coupled together with the cute nature of her clothes, it makes it look more childish than elegant. Also, she tends to wear those big fluffy scrunchies that also make it seem more childish. When I looked up Ank Rogue, none of the models style their hair with fluffy pom-poms or stuffed animal heads. 

Posted (edited)

The problem is not her dressing ''childish'' but randomly putting together things that clash and frequently dressing in school uniforms and bags only meant for school kids, which is really weeby. Yes it's possible to find Japanese girls who dress in Liz Lisa or Ank Rouge which a lot of people deem ''childish'' but both brands are intended for a teenage/young adult audience and people who wear them usually have outfits with a coherent theme and a limited color palette. She is allowed to enjoy pastel/kawaii fashion even though it doesn't really suit her face, but the problem is that her style does not fit into any Japanese fashion subculture like himekaji/otona kawaii/yami kawaii/larme kei or even Harajuku fashion. Even now when she has pieces from actual Japanese brands her outfits are badly coordinated and just look like a weird clash between weeb fashion and edgy instagram fashion. 

Edited by MMA

Posted

Do you live here? Yes there are many girls who dress like this. Go to a Visual Kei live and you'll see tons of them. Mori girl is not popular right now and neither is K-fashion for girls (make up yes, fashion no, fashion is popular with guys).

If you go on the streets of Tokyo (let's pick Shinjuku) you'll see girls dressed like Mikan in Liz Lisa and Ank Rouge, youll see girls dressed in Lumine Kei (Mish Mash, Avan Lily etc) you'll see OL's (suits) you'll see lotsss of "casual kei" in UNIQLO and the like which is the most popular right now and has been for a few years. Liz Liza etc has been dying out but Ank Rouge is huge so it's sort of a darker "kawaii" as in "yami kawaii" and it's still very prevalent.....there's zero way you live in Tokyo if you think the styles you listed are what's in and if you've never seen at least a couple handfuls of girls a day dressed like Mikan. I'm also one of those girls but I'm not Japanese, although I can't say I like either of the outfits she has on here I do shop at Ank Rouge and their stuff sells out fast for a reason.

The only subculture that's absolutely DEAD is Lolita fashion. Dead as a doorknob.

ETA:

The type of girls who wear Ank and all of that are called "anaru kei" (yes, I know.. but that's not what it means). Google it and you'll find tons of Japanese girls in this style. It really irks me when you have people sitting at their computers all around the world declaring what people here are and are not wearing and the judging what a gaijin is doing because of what they assume. If you're not here then Google around in Japanese. Here, a real Japanese girl dressed just like Mikan. There are thousands of them out and about in Tokyo every single day.

Image result for アンク系

Image result for 流行ってる服

Image result for 流行ってる服

add an unnecessary spaghetti strap top or some ruffles on this, that are brightly colored and you get mikan. she usually ruins her outfit with one piece that completely clashes with everything else. like that pink skirt at the top of this page, that's literally from sheinside/romwe and every weeb on tumblr had it in 2012. 

Posted

ETA:

Image result for アンク系

Image result for 流行ってる服

Image result for 流行ってる服

I dont really think this is what she dresses like though, maybe because all her outfits are always just way waaay too much.

Posted

She doesn’t dress like this. Even harajuku fashion is more coordinated than what Mikan has going on. She doesn’t know how to coordinate outfits which is the problem. Yes Ank style and motekei is quite popular in Japan however Japanese women and girls focus a lot on coordinates no matter what style they’re going for so Mikan will always look odd because she can’t seem to colour coordinate or match pieces very well. 

OT: she’s not the only though most of the foreign girls i follow on Instagram seem to have the same issue

Posted

ETA:

Image result for アンク系

Image result for 流行ってる服

Image result for 流行ってる服

the trends you showed are literally kfashion inspired along with the soft cute girl look. however, i think we can all agree that mikan sucks at picking out outfits most of the time. 

Posted

Kinda OT but I think Mikan would look better trying out the otona kawaii style instead of the stereotypical uwu kawaii trend.