• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

mikan.mandarin

1690 posts in this topic

Posted

I watched her videos today with the lucky bags. Almost everything that looked good on her, she disliked. She wants to go for the cute stuff, but it doesnt suit her overall look at all. She tried the fluffy coat and she didnt like it at all, then before she tried the cute coat and it looked strange on her.

I think a mix between a cute style and a more mature, elegant one would suit her well, but... whatever floats her boat I guess.

However I think her lucky bag was pretty crappy. I mean, some items were sweet, but quite some of the items were mediocre. So to her defence I have to say that she did carry herself well in the video. It's obvious that she wasn't overly excited over the items, but she still gave very careful judgements about the stuff in the back. Because one thing i have noticed about this kind of videos is: WOW, people get butthurt so easily! I'm literally speechless at how the comment sections on some videos are full of people moping around how unthankful this youtuber is etc. Also the amount of dislikes on some videos is huge. Jeez, people, this person paid $100 for a bag in hope of cute/cool/elegant - depending on the brand - stuff, but got a bag full of crappy leftovers no one wanted.

Posted

Did Mikan really get a nose job? I would never have guessed. It...doesn’t look like it?

Posted

Arguing about whether she’s technically Asian or not is just a question of semantics. However I think it’s very clear that Middle Eastern and East Asian people are not interchangeable or even close in ethnicity, so it’s ridiculous for her to try to look East Asian and then claim “but... I’m technically Asian guys because the Middle East is in Asia! So I can’t be doing yellow face!” 

To be fair, in the UK "Asian" usually means South Asian and often Middle Eastern (though it can also mean East Asian). However, I do agree that she's exploiting this rather broad definition to justify her dubious actions.

Posted

I agree. It borders on some of the stuff that gets posted in the "non-Asians pretending to be Asians" thread.

On thing I've noticed is that in a lot of pictures she seriously blurs her nose bridge and eyelids (both of which in unedited pictures are really prominent) plus with the way she does her eyeliner and trying to make the inner corner of her eyes look like epicanthic folds; Altogether it looks like she's trying to fake monolids sometimes, which is...special.:alpacafedup:

I'm sure she'll come up with some excuse but that's how it looks to me.

1519822873565.thumb.jpeg.65a139fdea5a663

yeah I’ve just noticed that pic from her insta that was reposted on this thread, her eyelid area looks like it was very slightly lightened/blurred? It looks like it was done from one of those face smoothing filters but I’m a bit suspicious :alpacafedup:

C1C1A3C9-6BFD-4CB6-94AB-0B8F3905544B.png

A1D63931-AA4F-486E-AE1F-7E9D99A4FC00.png

Posted (edited)

Sorry but I cringed so hard when I saw what she posted on her story today. Girl pretending that she can actually read what’s written, she’s  such a try hard for everything omg 

Ir maybe there’s an English translation at the back so my bad if it’s the case. But she’s still showing the Japanese version probably to prove us hOw gOod her Japanese is xD

C4D280A9-884C-4AF4-A2FA-D5D11934C841.png

Edited by Hoshi

Posted

Sorry but I cringed so hard when I saw what she posted on her story today. Girl pretending that she can actually read what’s written, she’s  such a try hard for everything omg 

Ir maybe there’s an English translation at the back so my bad if it’s the case. But she’s still showing the Japanese version probably to prove us hOw gOod her Japanese is xD

You know this is pretty easy, right?

"Best luck" is quite literally those enlarged kanji 'best' (大) + 'luck' (吉) on the paper.

You don't need any sort of super good level to understand those at all lol

Posted

I think she’s actually really cute, and she looks so much better without photoshop. I wish she wouldn’t edit herself so much since she’s really pretty. I think filtering is fine since it does make the pic look better but she looks so much nicer with her natural eyes, nose and skin tone 

Posted

You know this is pretty easy, right?

"Best luck" is quite literally those enlarged kanji 'best' (大) + 'luck' (吉) on the paper.

You don't need any sort of super good level to understand those at all lol

true enough but I was mostly talking about what’s written below xD

Posted

i bought lots of those omikuji while i was in tokyo and they usually have an english translation on the back (dunno about this one though)

Posted (edited)

I don’t have any proof but back like 2 years ago (I think?) when she first started posting pictures with her face in it (since she used to only do outfit pics) I remember her saying in a comment that she’s Asian. I also think she said once (again don’t have proof) that she isn’t doing cultural appropriation because she’s Asian. This was back in 2016 I think before she started getting problematic so I don’t have any screenshots, and she’s deleted a lot of her earlier pics. Sorry I don’t have any proof since it’s really annoying when people have claims with no proof and I’m doing that. I just find it interesting how Kenna has said the same thing and is middle eastern and has gotten a ton of backlash for it when mikan has said the same thing and no one cares 

It's so stupid that people like mikan and kenna use this technicality to dismiss their asian fetish or blatant yellow face. They obviously know that people are referring to East Asians or asians with mongoloid features when they're being called out for it. It's true that yes the majority of Turkey is in Asia (it's called Asia Minor for a reason) so indeed Turkish and Kurdish people are continentally asian for the most part. But we have a lot of western features so when you edit yourself to look East Asian then you can and will get called out for it.

Edited by speshul

Posted (edited)

It's so stupid that people like mikan and kenna use this technicality to dismiss their asian fetish or blatant yellow face. They obviously know that people are referring to East Asians or asians with mongoloid features when they're being called out for it. It's true that yes the majority of Turkey is in Asia (it's called Asia Minor for a reason) so indeed Turkish and Kurdish people are continentally asian for the most part. But we have a lot of western features so when you edit yourself to look East Asian then you can and will get called out for it.

thank you for explaining this. Ive seen some middle eastern & Indian people who use this technicality to fetishize East Asian people and when called out for it they say “but I’m Asian! India/the Middle East is technically in Asia!”

Edited by Granola

Posted (edited)

from Instagram lol

Screenshot_20190107-212649_cropped.png

Edited by Seriously

Posted (edited)

from Instagram lol

Screenshot_20190107-212649_cropped.png

I’m probably getting downvoted for this but it always blows my mind when people the total opposite of Asian go weeb like this. Ex. It must be exhausting to have to bleach her upper mouth/lip areas because of the typical dark hair that grows there for middle eastern and Indian peoples. 

As in, everything you are naturally, East Asia hates. Same goes for African Americans or anyone dark skinned/hairy/large. It’s horrible, but it’s the truth.

Edited by PastelPotions

Posted

I feel like anyone who obsesses over Asian facial aesthetics are often problematic because, in a sense, they advertise pale skin and smaller features even if they themselves lack said characteristics. It just seems unhealthy in my opinion and promotes the idea that those who do not share the characteristics that they are mimicking lack facial aesthetic...

Posted

I still stand on my opinion in this: Mikan can't call herself a role model for middle eastern girls when she is literally photoshopping herself to look more east asian, almost erasing the ethnic features that she have. That doesn't add up and it only smells of fake body positivity. 

She looks so much different when you compare the pic with Venus to her current IG pics.

Also I remember when she put in her story of how she was upset that people asked her if she was trans and she made it into a "why do you only ask middle eastern girls that" or something.