• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

mikan.mandarin

1423 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't doubt that she works, I also don't doubt that she worked from the age of 16 on, but I can't believe she can afford the lifestyle she has, the school, Tokyo, her shopping hauls etc. without financial support. There are jvloggers who support themselves, they are living on their own in Japan, work, and their lifestyle is so different!

Oh and since we discussed money and expenses in Tokyo, also in concern of the other "self-financing" youtubers, Kel made this video, in which he counts together all his expenses!

Posted

I don't doubt that she works, I also don't doubt that she worked from the age of 16 on, but I can't believe she can afford the lifestyle she has, the school, Tokyo, her shopping hauls etc. without financial support. There are jvloggers who support themselves, they are living on their own in Japan, work, and their lifestyle is so different!

Oh and since we discussed money and expenses in Tokyo, also in concern of the other "self-financing" youtubers, Kel made this video, in which he counts together all his expenses!

IMG_3096.thumb.GIF.2fba0053c92b38401f08e

Posted

to be fair she does get ad revenue and sponsorship money

Posted

I guess all those are possible reasons why she’s making “so” much. But how much can one actually make to live her lifestyle just off of part time jobs, YouTube money, etc? To me it still doesn’t add up

Posted

Damn in her fukubukuro 2019 vid I feel bad for her, she spent quite a bit and the only thing from the first bag she seemed to actually like was the jacket, the beret is kinda tacky, that blouse thing with the huge collar looks out of place and the dress looks like a sack, the second bag I think had better things but I wasn’t very enthusiastic about it and I don’t think Mikan was either 

but it was interesting to see what you could find in the bags

Posted

Im sorry for the language but this is fucking bullshit. Her face is blurry because she facetunes the SHIT out of it. We've seen what she looks like without filters. she doesnt have a smooth face, Her eyes arent that big, her lips arent smooth, her chin isnt that defined, and the worst and most obvious is that her NOSE is way bigger in person. Even her fingers look blurry.

Why is it that the details of her hair, sweater, and clothes look high res, but her face looks blurry and  "flawless". No one in the comments has called her out on it too. She says she just lightens her photos but compare this to her video of her at the hairdressers. She must either hate the way she naturally looks, or shes so fooled by her own shoddy photoshop. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 1.19.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 1.20.03 PM.png

Damn. Comparing this photo of her to her older ones, she’s slowly crawling towards straight up yellowface isn’t she.  :beardo:

Posted

I thought she would be more careful with her edits as time goes on, but her latest picture has the most obvious edit ever... She entirely blended half her nose into her cheek.

Screenshot_2019-01-05-23-08-33-1.thumb.p

Screenshot_2019-01-05-23-08-33-1-1.thumb

Posted

I watched her videos today with the lucky bags. Almost everything that looked good on her, she disliked. She wants to go for the cute stuff, but it doesnt suit her overall look at all. She tried the fluffy coat and she didnt like it at all, then before she tried the cute coat and it looked strange on her.

Posted

I watched her videos today with the lucky bags. Almost everything that looked good on her, she disliked. She wants to go for the cute stuff, but it doesnt suit her overall look at all. She tried the fluffy coat and she didnt like it at all, then before she tried the cute coat and it looked strange on her.

i thought the same, the first coat also had a weird fit on her while the second one suited her better imo ( and she said it looked straight and frumpy but tbh so did the first one)

like the second one even if it was “plain” could still made cuter with the right outfit underneathy, but the first one was overkill, the dolly style is too much on her, she would look better with a more toned down look but still cutesy with the skirts

Posted (edited)

Damn. Comparing this photo of her to her older ones, she’s slowly crawling towards straight up yellowface isn’t she.  :beardo:

I agree. It borders on some of the stuff that gets posted in the "non-Asians pretending to be Asians" thread.

On thing I've noticed is that in a lot of pictures she seriously blurs her nose bridge and eyelids (both of which in unedited pictures are really prominent) plus with the way she does her eyeliner and trying to make the inner corner of her eyes look like epicanthic folds; Altogether it looks like she's trying to fake monolids sometimes, which is...special.:alpacafedup:

I'm sure she'll come up with some excuse but that's how it looks to me.

1519822873565.thumb.jpeg.65a139fdea5a663

Edited by 虜
add image

Posted

I agree. It borders on some of the stuff that gets posted in the "non-Asians pretending to be Asians" thread.

On thing I've noticed is that in a lot of pictures she seriously blurs her nose bridge and eyelids (both of which in unedited pictures are really prominent) plus with the way she does her eyeliner and trying to make the inner corner of her eyes look like epicanthic folds; Altogether it looks like she's trying to fake monolids sometimes, which is...special.:alpacafedup:

I'm sure she'll come up with some excuse but that's how it looks to me.

1519822873565.thumb.jpeg.65a139fdea5a663

I’m not disagreeing that’s she’s trying to look more Northeast Asian, but she is Asian dude. The Middle East is part of Asia, and I just googled it and the Kurds are West Asian to be exact. Northeast Asians aren’t the only Asians and it annoys me when people forget that, just FYI in case you didn’t know because some people think the Middle East is just the Middle East and not part of the Asian Continent. Also, if anyone wants to argue the whole Eurasian thing, Eurasian still be Asians my dudes. 

Posted (edited)

I don't think the issue they have is that she is/isn't Asian, but that she in no way is Japanese and is editing herself to look Japanese. I mean even if she is West Asian she isn't Japanese and it comes across as race faking. 

Edited by Basicbitch

Posted

I don't think the issue they have is that she is/isn't Asian, but that she in no way is Japanese and is editing herself to look Japanese. I mean even if she is West Asian she isn't Japanese and it comes across as race faking. 

I can agree with that. Tbh though if she’s trying to look Japanese, she’s doing a bad job at it, when I first saw her on IG I thought she was just another white girl living in Japan, because her pics are so white washed. Then she said in her story she was Kurdish, which I found surprising, so I found her channel to see what she really looks like 

Posted

I don’t have any proof but back like 2 years ago (I think?) when she first started posting pictures with her face in it (since she used to only do outfit pics) I remember her saying in a comment that she’s Asian. I also think she said once (again don’t have proof) that she isn’t doing cultural appropriation because she’s Asian. This was back in 2016 I think before she started getting problematic so I don’t have any screenshots, and she’s deleted a lot of her earlier pics. Sorry I don’t have any proof since it’s really annoying when people have claims with no proof and I’m doing that. I just find it interesting how Kenna has said the same thing and is middle eastern and has gotten a ton of backlash for it when mikan has said the same thing and no one cares 

Posted

Arguing about whether she’s technically Asian or not is just a question of semantics. However I think it’s very clear that Middle Eastern and East Asian people are not interchangeable or even close in ethnicity, so it’s ridiculous for her to try to look East Asian and then claim “but... I’m technically Asian guys because the Middle East is in Asia! So I can’t be doing yellow face!”