• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

mikan.mandarin

1625 posts in this topic

Posted

kinda OT but does anyone know of any HUMBLE jvloggers ? Or kvloggers? Or in general. It seems all the well known ones come from $$ like youre saying and its not relateable for someone like me. Especially when they try to hide. 

Try it with Liz Kelly, as someone else said. Also you could check out osharegirl. She is married to a Japanese guy, but she lives a pretty normal life. You could also watch ozzyawesome, I'm pretty sure he finances himself. He made a video about how he came to Japan and how he applied for a job etc. And if you want to watch someone with a richer lifestyle, maybe...Taylor B? Not sure if she is really humble, but at least I have never heard her say that she fully supports herself, she works, but she is definitley on the wleathier side. I also think she started dating first and then moved to Japan with her boyfriend. Sam in Tokyo is an option too - I think she originally taught English, then went back to Germany, then came back again with a real job.

There are plenty of jvloggers with a smaller following. Most of them are way more honest than the big youtubers.

Back to topic:

In her latest video - if I remember correctly - she says she has no bachelor degree. She didn't talk about her plans though. With Mikan it's weird. I don't really like her, but I think youtube-wise she is not a lost case. She could (maybe) improve in terms of content and image, but she really needs to work on that attitude of hers.

Posted

Im sorry for the language but this is fucking bullshit. Her face is blurry because she facetunes the SHIT out of it. We've seen what she looks like without filters. she doesnt have a smooth face, Her eyes arent that big, her lips arent smooth, her chin isnt that defined, and the worst and most obvious is that her NOSE is way bigger in person. Even her fingers look blurry.

Why is it that the details of her hair, sweater, and clothes look high res, but her face looks blurry and  "flawless". No one in the comments has called her out on it too. She says she just lightens her photos but compare this to her video of her at the hairdressers. She must either hate the way she naturally looks, or shes so fooled by her own shoddy photoshop. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 1.19.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 1.20.03 PM.png

Posted (edited)

what's going on with her leg here?

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.f3bf4b8e78446e5d2

Edited by Caeleigh

Posted (edited)

Im sorry for the language but this is fucking bullshit. Her face is blurry because she facetunes the SHIT out of it. We've seen what she looks like without filters. she doesnt have a smooth face, Her eyes arent that big, her lips arent smooth, her chin isnt that defined, and the worst and most obvious is that her NOSE is way bigger in person. Even her fingers look blurry.

Why is it that the details of her hair, sweater, and clothes look high res, but her face looks blurry and  "flawless". No one in the comments has called her out on it too. She says she just lightens her photos but compare this to her video of her at the hairdressers. She must either hate the way she naturally looks, or shes so fooled by her own shoddy photoshop. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 1.20.03 PM.png

i saw that post awhile ago and i can't help but look at her eyes, her left eye seems out of poportion or something. its like bigger than the right one.

too much shopped maybe? 🤔

Edited by blvck

Posted

i saw that post awhile ago and i can't help but look at her eyes, her left eye seems out of poportion or something. its like bigger that the right one.

too much shopped maybe? 🤔

spot on about the eye. it should look smaller because its further away, not bulging out like it is

Posted

spot on about the eye. it should look smaller because its further away, not bulging out like it is

it reminded of those photo booth pictures were you can edit them and have big eyes.

now i remember where i've seen that kind of photobooth edit from mikan which is annoying btw imo. i saw this from a friend of hers which idk if they still talk tho but seeing an insta story of mikan which she tagged the girl they still keep in contacts? i guess. 🤷‍♀️

IMG_3276.thumb.PNG.86578f2473ce8dceb83f4IMG_3277.thumb.PNG.f0018db2c37588de998d8IMG_3278.thumb.PNG.cb79d4a7fa4961302d28d

why does this photo scare the shit out of me? 👇

IMG_3279.thumb.PNG.5c6a83aa2d0e3df89ba98

Posted

Regarding her education/schooling along with her finances and money matters, I quote these two paragraphs from her comment from page 2:

My next point is that I do indeed go outside! Actually, I have a full time job - I work 9.30-6 5 days a week. I've had jobs to support myself since I was 16, admittedly I don't have the world's closest relationship to my mum (and my dad lives in Sweden), so if I wanted something I had to either beg for it or get a job, so as soon as I turned 16 (literally!) I started working. When I was 16 I used to go to college/sixth form until around 5pm and then I'd work in McDonald's (totally glamorous right) until 10 and then a weekend day. I do appreciate how independent it's made me though. I now pay rent which is around the average for a bedroom in London (my momma dont play lmao) and I do my own grocery shopping and cook my own dinner every night. The reason really why I'm giving you my life work story is because I want to make a point that I'm actually not rich at all, neither is my mum (who's a hairdresser). Most of my clothes are just clothes I saved up over the years or sponsored (again why I accept every sponsorship, sorry). I'd also like to mention that I've been saving up for a few years now to study in Japan (again yes total weeb) which I'll be doing in October, since a lot of people ask me where I got the money to do that from.

The pictures where I look considerably worse are pictures I did while freelance modelling. For a while I was working in a taxi company and I wasn't paid a lot and then I left that job so I didn't have a job at all for a few weeks, so I did freelance modelling. I worked with a lot of amateur photographers and photographers who didn't understand my style, and I was also an amateur and quite experimental with things like posing and my outfits, so that was a messy period for me but I learnt a lot from it. I'd also like to note that I actually don't make money at all on Instagram except when I posted those ads for Schwartz and Nickelodeon. Just free stuff, which I appreciate anyway. Usually I'm given affiliate codes which send 10% of how much people spend using my codes to my Paypal, but that's so little I don't even think about it, it's usually nothing at all but sometimes I get $2 here and there. 

According to Mikan, she attended sixth form in the UK, and from the age of 16 she has worked from 5-10pm on weekdays + 1 weekend. This work included multiple jobs over the years, including some freelance modelling, two paid promotions and a few small earnings from affiliate codes.

Additionally, Mikan was born on October 8, 1997, hence she began working on October 8, 2014 (age 16). If she was in sixth form as a 16 year old, she must have likely graduated at age 18, which would fall onto early summer of 2016. She then emigrated to Japan in late summer 2017 at the age of 19.

In her video, titled "How could I afford to move to Japan?", Mikan has said that her first job was in McDonald's for one year where she earned £5.00 per hour from 5-10pm on weekdays and 1 weekend. this would put her earnings per week are £165.00 (assuming 33hrs of work). In one school month, she would earn £660. During the holidays, she could be employed full time for 40 hours per week, which can earn her £800 per month. For that one year at McDonald's with 9 months at school + 3 months of full time work, her earnings would be £8,340.

Her next job was at Sainsburys for another year where she earned £7.00 per hour and would finish working at 10-11pm. Assuming she worked the same amount of hours as with McDonalds, her earnings for that year would have been around £11,676.

Now all together, those two years add up to £20,016. Realistically this would have been much lower because my calculations are done with the presumption that she had worked every single day all year and not spent anything. So take those factors into mind, her savings were likely around £15,000.

Following this, at the age of 18, she began working at a taxi service. This is also around the time she moved out to live alone. She didn't provide much detail on this job's earnings or hours, but I assume because she was legally an adult and already graduated, this was a full-time job where she was paid the London minimum wage of £9.75. Therefore, her weekly earnings would have been £468 or £1,872 for one month. After getting fired, she began working at Specsavers which paid much better than the taxi company. I'd give it an estimate of around £2000 for one month. Depending on living conditions and area, renting for a one bedroom in London is average £1,200, plus with bills and living essentials, her living costs should be around ~£1600, giving her an approximate of £200~400 per month to spare for a total of anything between £2,400~4,800 in additional savings for that year.

Furthermore, Mikan did say she done a bit of freelance modelling while she was unemployed between the taxi company and Specsavers, done two promotions and has discount codes, so on top of everything I would put on maybe around £400 for it all. 

Altogether for 3 years of working from the age of 16 until emigrating at 19, she would have had around £20,000 or more in her savings to use towards her move to Japan.

The sole massive deduction that comes out of her savings, would have been her nose job. Approximate costs for a nose job in the UK in the London area would be anywhere from £4000-7000. Her remaining savings after this would be somewhere between £13,000~16,000. This remaining savings is what she has at her disposal to use for her move to Japan.

Mikan has said that she originally only intended to stay in Japan for one year and that she applied through GoGoNihon. Looking at the website, the cheapest school it has in the Tokyo area for 12 months is already ¥706,600 (£5,048.26) in Iidabashi at the ALA Academy of Language Arts, while the dearest is ¥932,000 (£6,670.79) in Shinokubo in KAI Language Japanese Language School. We know that Mikan lived in a room in a shared house for her first year, where according to GoGoNihon's accommodation estimates, it would take an estimate of ¥923,400 (£6,597.08) to have a room for yourself in a shared house. So already we are at ¥1,630,000 (£11,704.22) for one year for school fees + accommodation. Adding everyday costs onto this, we are looking of upwards of approximate £16,000 necessary to live as a student in Japan.

Although, in this older video: "Q&A - I MOVED TO JAPAN! How? Why? What am I doing?", she said that her savings were only enough to cover the school fees, but in her later video she says she had savings left over. Not sure which story is the truth, but whatever, if my calculations were correct, she should should have definitely had a few thousand left over that would have been enough for a couple of months if she had no stable employment.

Which leads on my next point: while in Japan, the only earnings Mikan has cited during her first few months is from giving private English lessons, but apparently does did not pay well and by a year later, she says she found employment in a company alongside of getting Adsense from YouTube and doing some sponsorship money which is enough for her to just get by. Plus, from her Instagram we know that she also earns some extras from doing shoutouts and freelance modelling.

Since she is continuing her education in Japanese, this means over her first year in Japan she had earned enough to save up another ~£6,000 for school fees.

TLDR; she has constantly worked and saved up.

Personally, I don't think she's lying or being dishonest in anyway with her story. Her story is consistent with how she afforded everything and adding everything up, it does all work out financially. It is very much possible as a youth to achieve what she has done. The only thing that makes her stand out is that it's very, very rare for any young teen aged 16 to be so dedicated to constantly working and seeking employment almost nonstop. It seems she has this workaholic obsession with constantly wanting to be occupied and earning money, which probably explains why she's always asking £20 for shoutouts, and donations to move, and etc. Something like that is not a bad characteristic, but like with the shoutouts and the humble brag, it can lead people to some express some unpleasant and obnoxious behavior.

Posted

People have mentioned a nose job? Has she had one already? I was thinking you guys mean she is getting one! I can’t believe she’s already had one-it definitely doesn’t look like it. Was it just to remove the usual hump a lot of middle eastern/Indian girls have?

Posted (edited)

Regarding her education/schooling along with her finances and money matters, I quote these two paragraphs from her comment from page 2:

Overall the math is good, but you forgot to take into account her monthly rent to her mother before she moved out which would have been ~300 pounds a month (average london apartment cost ranges between 350-700, so 300 is really the least she could have been paying). That sets her back at least another 7200 pounds, meaning she would have went into Japan with around 6-9 thousand pounds which means she definitely would have had to receive some help.

Edited by Jaken

Posted (edited)

Overall the math is good, but you forgot to take into account her monthly rent to her mother before she moved out which would have been ~300 pounds a month (average london apartment cost ranges between 350-700, so 300 is really the least she could have been paying. That sets her back at least another 7200 pounds, meaning she would have went into Japan with around 6-9 thousand pounds which means she definitely would have had to receive some help.

I missed this part, but I played back over the video and she referred to it as: "I also helped pay rent monthly with my mum because every little helps".

According to the Housing Statistical Release for 2017, given that they had a three bedroom home between the three of them as a family, the average rent for her mother's home would have been around £490.76 per month. 

With the way she phrased, I don't think she was actually paying her mother's full rent, but perhaps split it half/half or she paid a smaller fraction of it. 

Also, taking into account the area she was living in, she referred to it as "famous for stabbings" and that it's also the cheapest place where they can actually afford rent at (sound like it might be Enfield or Havering). Therefore, considering those factors, due to the neighborhood, their rent might have been lower or the lowest in the London area (£300-400).

Altogether, if presumably she helped with all of her mother's rent, with the London average of £490.76, this would be £5,889.12 for the whole year, or it was half of it, then it's £2,933.56.

If her rent is much less due to a poorer neighborhood (£300-400), then this would be between £4,800~3,600 for the full rent, or £2,400~1,800 for half of it.

Anyhow, it would still be enough to move and pay for school and accommodation, but living-wise she would have needed to find some way to earn money within her first three months otherwise it is all depleted, which is probably why she turned to English teaching even though she didn't understand Japanese at all.

Edited by Caeleigh

Posted

we all know sis is getting money from somewhere because she just posted a story today of all the fukubukuro she bought which are typically not cheap...

Posted

we all know sis is getting money from somewhere because she just posted a story today of all the fukubukuro she bought which are typically not cheap...

it sounds like she landed a full time job or something. also that reminds me she said in one of her recent videos when she was making a christmas card that she was taking private lessons in japanese. aren't those expensive or something?

Posted

it sounds like she landed a full time job or something. also that reminds me she said in one of her recent videos when she was making a christmas card that she was taking private lessons in japanese. aren't those expensive or something?

But wait what visa is she on then? For a student visa you are only allowed to work 28h/week. Also Language schools look closely at attendance rates so juggeling school, studying, full-time work, a boyfriend and her online pressence seems very hard. I don't think private lessons would net her a visa at all.

I still don't think she really afforded the Japan thing entirely on her own. The xalculations are nice, but did she never go out or buy something for herself?

Posted

But wait what visa is she on then? For a student visa you are only allowed to work 28h/week. Also Language schools look closely at attendance rates so juggeling school, studying, full-time work, a boyfriend and her online pressence seems very hard. I don't think private lessons would net her a visa at all.

I still don't think she really afforded the Japan thing entirely on her own. The xalculations are nice, but did she never go out or buy something for herself?

if she is in language school then a student visa and a part time but seeing she seems like she is taking a full time instead the way she afford things. the private lesson she said herself that she took one. so i guess she has a lot of $$$ then.

Posted

to be fair she always seems to be busy, not sleeping well and meeting her boyfriend usually for dinner