• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

mikan.mandarin

1448 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

yep Mikan is trilingual and kenna well good luck to her if she need one.

speaking of expensive salon, why of all the salon in japan she has to go to an english friendly one, nothing wrong with that unless you are a foreigner who doesn't speak any basic japanese. however mikan is learning japanese even if she doesn't speak it very well so that must be it but i remember watching her video when she got her hair permanent straight she said that even though the salon is english friendly she spoke japanese to the hair dresser however i couldn't hear any convo between her and the one doing her hair, probably just once but not the whole video bcos it was fast forward or something.

if you mean the Nalu salon I think it’s because they often have girls like her popular-ish on social media who are in japan, I’ve heard that salon name before with jvloggers (like Rachel from R&J) so I’m sure there’s some sort of discount or something 

Edited by PlanetVenus

Posted

I still find it hard to believe that she actually could move to Japan just by working part-time job and saving money from it, I mean look at her , she wears expensive cloths ,goes to professional hair salons every now and then, eats outside, lives in a nice appartement which requiers a lot more than just savings from mini jobs imho .doesn't she worry that with this lifestyle she might ran out of money in no time? .I am a foreigner student and my parents send me money every month ,which means I don't have anything to worry about but I still spend it very carefullylile VERY carefully. And plus I don't even think her current job is enough because she only works when she is not taking japanese lessons . Those kawaii girls sure  surprise me

THIS. It isn’t! I’m so tired of all these girls not teaching or not studying abroad pretending they got to live in Japan by “saving”. Sure, you can save a couple thousand for the trip over and first month or two, but longer than that? Absolutely not.

Most of the time jvloggers have/had financial backing.

Taylor R was a Sugar Baby for a millionare, Simply Kenna has a trust fund (and lives in the most expensive city and state on earth L freaking A), Kim Dao denies it but I strongly believe her family helps/has helped significantly ( in old videos you can see her home is quite new and large), Sharla is from Vancouver, (world famous city, very expensive to live in, yes?) and seems very close with her family. I also sense she is the favorite between her and her sister. She’d also been dating her husband for who knows how long. Yes, she claims he’s a hairdresser, but since I can’t imagine a person living off of that income I think it’s actually a hobby job, if his real job at all. Finally, Natchan got to Japan originally by way of a similar situation as Taylor R. Shady on shady.

The fact that Mikan says she saved from part times all while purchasing expensive cute clothes, making videos featuring cute clothes, is a big ol red flag. Also her accent. She clearly grew up in a very posh area and therefore her family could afford to live in an expensive place.

tldr; None of the Jvloggers (who aren’t ALT’s) did anything on their own. They had or have some kind of backing and are the biggest bunch of liars who make money by selling the idea that if teens/young adults “just work hard and save” they can get where they are. LOL.

Posted

THIS. It isn’t! I’m so tired of all these girls not teaching or not studying abroad pretending they got to live in Japan by “saving”. Sure, you can save a couple thousand for the trip over and first month or two, but longer than that? Absolutely not.

Taylor R was a Sugar Baby for a millionare, Simply Kenna has a trust fund (and lives in the most expensive city and state on earth L freaking A), Kim Dao denies it but I strongly believe her family helps/has helped significantly ( in old videos you can see her home is quite new and large), Sharla is from Vancouver, (world famous city, very expensive to live in, yes?) and seems very close with her family. I also sense she is the favorite between her and her sister. She’d also been dating her husband for who knows how long. Yes, she claims he’s a hairdresser, but since I can’t imagine a person living off of that income I think it’s actually a hobby job, if his real job at all. Finally, Natchan got to Japan originally by way of a similar situation as Taylor R. Shady on shady.

The fact that Mikan says she saved from part times all while purchasing expensive cute clothes, making videos featuring cute clothes, is a big ol red flag. Also her accent. She clearly grew up in a very posh area and therefore her family could afford to live in an expensive place.

tldr; None of the Jvloggers (who aren’t ALT’s) did anything on their own. They had or have some kind of backing and are the biggest bunch of liars who make money by selling the idea that if teens/young adults “just work hard and save” they can get where they are. LOL.

kinda OT but does anyone know of any HUMBLE jvloggers ? Or kvloggers? Or in general. It seems all the well known ones come from $$ like youre saying and its not relateable for someone like me. Especially when they try to hide. 

Posted

I wish I knew of any but I can’t think of one vlogger in Asia that has no financial backing. I know of some instagramers who live in Japan and work in the entertainment industry but it’s hard to tell if they had financial backing.

OT:

I forget Sharla is from Vancouver. I guess I can’t relate because I’m from the same city but I’m struggling lol

Posted

kinda OT but does anyone know of any HUMBLE jvloggers ? Or kvloggers? Or in general. It seems all the well known ones come from $$ like youre saying and its not relateable for someone like me. Especially when they try to hide. 

Liz Kelly. She is from a smallish city/town in Michigan and actually shows it like Japan really is for Americans (only way we can live in Japan is through teaching. We have no working holiday visa. Literally teaching is the only way Americans can live in Japan) and is the only one actually supporting herself entirely. She is sweet but a bit sad-but that’s the reality fo people in Japan who aren’t gallavanting around on working holiday or entertainer visas or with sugar daddies trust funds and Asian husbands. 

Her videos used to be terrible but something has happened and they’ve gotten really good. Definitely check her out. 

So sorry for derail I only have mobile.

Posted

Kvlogger I watch is 2Hearts1Seoul. 

Posted

if you mean the Nalu salon I think it’s because they often have girls like her popular-ish on social media who are in japan, I’ve heard that salon name before with jvloggers (like Rachel from R&J) so I’m sure there’s some sort of discount or something 

i went to that salon (was great!) and did get a discount because i mentioned i knew them because of sharla...still wasnt the cheapest lol

Posted

Ill check yall recommendations. Theres only so much I can watch with people flaunting their wealth while claiming to be broke. Even Shane dawson does it, and i get its a running joke, but seeing people spend their money on YT is getting old to me. It seems like a lot of YT videos now involves spending money and low key rubbing it in everyones face. 

Posted (edited)

Fair point, however you and i both know how “particular” japan is when it comes to  “being japanese”. Sweden is one of the countries in Europe with the highest persantage of immigrants outside of Europe, alongside with England, Norway, Germany and France to name the main. Japan doesn’t really have that many (other than asian) immigrants, especially not ones that have japanese citizenship and especially not many from the middle east (but that’s besides the point). So yeah I wouldn’t say that necessarily if she were born in Japan, simply because the  way they define “being Japanese”  is very strict as opposed to Sweden where it’s a lot more normalized for foreigners to refer to themselves as Swedes. (Not all swedes are accepting of that either, but again on a much smaller scale than Japan).

What? So you can be swedish if you're born and raised there but ARENT ACTUALLY ETHNICALLY SWEDISH but can't be Japanese? Lol. Of course people here would say that. 

If she is "Swedish" then she could have been "Japanese" too.

Just because Europe is now full of immigrants doesn't mean you can all suddenly become european when you aren't. Should I start calling myself a native American? Give me a break. 

Edited by Seriously

Posted

She clearly grew up in a very posh area and therefore her family could afford to live in an expensive place.

lol doing a Hermione impression is not posh

Posted

I was thinking more like if the Japanese bf doesn't have a degree or anything than he might move to UK or Sweden with Mikan or since Mikan has a part time job teaching english she might get experience from there and turn it into a teaching degree or something to stay and make money in Japan. 

mikan would still have to get a bachelors to teach english in japan and she mentioned in her most recent video that she would have to go to some sort of specialty training school and that she wouldn't be going to college so i doubt thats her plan. Will be interesting though since you can only be on a student visa at language school for 2 years or something like that.

Posted

What? So you can be swedish if you're born and raised there but ARENT ACTUALLY ETHNICALLY SWEDISH but can't be Japanese? Lol. Of course people here would say that. 

Just because Europe is now full of immigrants doesn't mean you can all suddenly become european when you aren't. Should I start calling myself a native American? Give me a break. 

damn calm down....

imo if you were born and raised in a country, you're from that country, simple as that. You don't have to be ethnically from that country, because nationality, ethnic background, culture and upbringing are all different things.

the fact that the general Japanese population doesn't accept people as Japanese when they were born and raised there, just because they aren't ethnically Japanese is bs if you ask me.

Your childhood is the most formative time in your life so yeah, if she grew up in Sweden, with Swedish culture she's Swedish (with a Kurdish background if you want to be specific)

( I know a bunch of people whose parents or grandparents aren't European. But they were born and raised here just like me so they are European lol)

Anyways....

Posted (edited)

Honestly, if you think you can't claim certain nationality just because their ethnic background even though they have 1. Lived there long-term in a significant period of their life. 2. Born there and 3. Can not identify with their ethnic roots at all (which actually happens btw). then you are just simply just being racist. Simple. 

Also please learn the difference between nationality and ethnic backgrounds before making ignorant statements like this. Thanks.

Edited by Cocobell

Posted

Lol, ok :harharplz:

I’m from country A in Europe, my husband is from country B in Asia, we live in a country C in Europe and our son says he’s half B and half C (thanks son...) and he has a country C passport, nothing from A nor B countries. Guess what that makes him? Ethnically he’s A/B, but a correct answer to “where are you from” is “I’m Cish”. He is not “Aish”, he is not “Bish”, he is “Cish” wether I like it or not.

(sorry for OT, I wanted to put that in a spoiler thingy but I don’t know how)

Posted

Liz Kelly. She is from a smallish city/town in Michigan and actually shows it like Japan really is for Americans (only way we can live in Japan is through teaching. We have no working holiday visa. Literally teaching is the only way Americans can live in Japan) and is the only one actually supporting herself entirely. She is sweet but a bit sad-but that’s the reality fo people in Japan who aren’t gallavanting around on working holiday or entertainer visas or with sugar daddies trust funds and Asian husbands. 

Her videos used to be terrible but something has happened and they’ve gotten really good. Definitely check her out. 

So sorry for derail I only have mobile.

i should start watching her videos cos i'm tired of watching other jvloggers that doesn't really show you what its really like living in japan.

IMG_3109.thumb.GIF.4f32d9d510442843a2be7

it will take years for you to get where they are and i've read that if you want to stay in japan you have to have a lot of $$$ to support yourself especially if you live in tokyo which is also an expensive city to live in. most of the jvloggers i've seen lived in tokyo like lol there are other places you could have live and probably cheaper but noooo it has to be tokyo. then what about those people who wants to work and live in japan but cannot support themselves by living in an expensive city, they won't have any idea how to find a cheaper place to live cos most of the jvloggers emphasizes tokyo.