• Announcements

• Recent changes to PULL   07/07/19

Hello everyone,   As promised, we're working on some changes to improve the forum and community! So far, here are the recent changes: Negative reputation has been disabled. Upvoting remains intact. This is a trial run to deal with whiteknights brigading certain topics and salty users mass-downvoting users they disagree with. Some text formatting options have been removed. Some users like to format their posts in ways that make them harder to read or downright obnoxious. (Light colors, tiny fonts, etc), so this helps make threads more readable. If you find yourself needing post formatting because you're making a new thread, please contact a mod and we will make it happen. New threads have to be approved anyway, so you're not going to have to start out with an ugly thread. Text formatting remains available to all users who have supported us via Patreon.No more threads on "Online Personalities". We will NOT lock or remove old threads, but we won't approve new threads about people who don't have any history of drama or controversies. Some threads will be moved to the snowflake sections if applicable. Read the new topic guidelines before you make a new thread.Here are our works in progress: New categories will be added. "Little Snowflakes" is too broad of a spectrum, so we're going to sort our flakes into a few sub-sections to keep things organized. We will also make more use of tags for those flakes who transcend categories. This will also allow us to appoint moderators to specific categories or snowflakes. New moderators will be onboarded soon. 

mikan.mandarin

1707 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does she have a degree or any higher education certificate? If she does then she should be ok staying in Japan if not she should consider it. She could try vocational school and go into fashion as long as her Japanese is up to par. If not getting a decent job will be challenging for her imo. 

Most good jobs require some form of higher education or high skill and if she has that then good for her

Edited by Rennie
my grammar

Posted

Does she have a degree or any higher education certificate? If she does then she should be ok staying in Japan if not she should consider it. She could try vocational school and go into fashion as long as her Japanese is up to par. If not getting a decent job will be challenging for her imo. 

Most good jobs require some form of huger education or high skill and if she had that 

i don't think she does but then again i remember she said she went to sixth form in the UK. idk how the education system work in that country tho so idk if that counts as college. pls correct me if i'm wrong.

Posted

i don't think she does but then again i remember she said she went to sixth form in the UK. idk how the education system work in that country tho so idk if that counts as college. pls correct me if i'm wrong.

I wondered as well since most universities are looking for 12 years of study and most jobs require some sort of degree or specialization. Even teaching jobs need one. 

Posted (edited)

i wonder how long will Mikan stay in Japan when next year she is almost done with her "school".

Based on Mikan's comments (see below) from her most recent video, my guess is that she'll try to do a bachelor's degree in Japan. From her video, she appears well aware that it will be tough (almost impossible) to get a job in japan merely with a language school certification and keeps mentioning how important it is to have a degree. I can see her trying to apply for the same university with her boyfriend. I'm not sure how she will be funding her university studies though and I don't think the money she's making from social media will be enough for that. (I guess she could try applying for scholarships? Maybe the MEXT scholarship?) Judging from her comment about being "scared of failing", it gives me the impression that she's in the process of working out her plans for higher education. Sooooo if she does succeed in enrolling in a Japanese university, her stay in Japan will most likely extend to another 3 years 👀 (and if her relationship with Hiro works out that long, I can actually see her getting married to him. lmao)

Disclaimer: this is just my guess/speculation but feel free to bookmark this comment jic i really do hit the nail on the head with this prediction. lol

Untitled.thumb.png.21cb90316af0f342c41ec

Untitled.png

Edited by goodtimes
added my "marriage after uni" prediction. bloop

Posted

I wondered as well since most universities are looking for 12 years of study and most jobs require some sort of degree or specialization. Even teaching jobs need one. 

imo she should have studied there in some universities or vocational school instead of just language school. at least she will benefit from something a.k.a get a proper job in japan. unless she wants to work as a factory worker cos i think those require at least a high school degree but then again i could be wrong. most people in my country who didn't finish college (either they were in their 1st yr, 2nd, 3rd yr or 4th yr but could not finish due to financial problems maybe) or somehow just took a 2 year course mostly have jobs as a factory worker in japan but some have office jobs too (before the go there they need to study japanese from the home country cos the company requires them to) so it really just depends on your skill i think.

Posted

I was thinking more like if the Japanese bf doesn't have a degree or anything than he might move to UK or Sweden with Mikan or since Mikan has a part time job teaching english she might get experience from there and turn it into a teaching degree or something to stay and make money in Japan. 

Posted (edited)

Based on Mikan's comments (see below) from her most recent video, my guess is that she'll try to do a bachelor's degree in Japan. From her video, she appears well aware that it will be tough (almost impossible) to get a job in japan merely with a language school certification and keeps mentioning how important it is to have a degree. I can see her trying to apply for the same university with her boyfriend. I'm not sure how she will be funding her university studies though and I don't think the money she's making from social media will be enough for that. (I guess she could try applying for scholarships? Maybe the MEXT scholarship?) Judging from her comment about being "scared of failing", it gives me the impression that she's in the process of working out her plans for higher education. 

Disclaimer: this is just my guess/speculation but feel free to bookmark this comment jic i really do hit the nail on the head with this prediction. lol

Untitled.thumb.png.21cb90316af0f342c41ec

Untitled.png

if i were her she should have gone to universities in the first place, its going to be hard now to do it since not enough funds i guess. she doesn't have a proper job yet to fund her studies but if ever she gets a scholarship then thats a great.

IMG_3255.thumb.GIF.af812baea4c81d450813b

Edited by blvck

Posted

if i were her she should have gone to universities in the first place, its going to be hard now to do it since not enough funds i guess. she doesn't have a proper job yet to fund her studies but if ever she gets a scholarship then thats a great.

btw does anyone know any scholarship program to study in either japan (wait i'll try looking at that MEXT) or korea cos i wanted study undergraduate but don't have the funds.

Yeap, if I were in her shoes, instead of going to a language school in Japan, I would have gone to a language school in my home country for basic grasp of the language and then proceed straight to do an undergraduate degree in Japan. I think that's more worth it in the long run. If she's interested in doing her course in Japanese, she should consider doing that for a postgraduate degree when her Japanese is better because IMO I don't think her current Japanese language skills is on par to actually study a course entirely in Japanese.

Idk about Korea but the MEXT scholarship is the most well-known scholarship if you want to pursue your higher education in Japan. Back when I was considering pursuing my studies in Japan, I found TranSenz's blog pretty helpful.

Posted

Yeap, if I were in her shoes, instead of going to a language school in Japan, I would have gone to a language school in my home country for basic grasp of the language and then proceed straight to do an undergraduate degree in Japan. I think that's more worth it in the long run. If she's interested in doing her course in Japanese, she should consider doing that for a postgraduate degree when her Japanese is better because IMO I don't think her current Japanese language skills is on par to actually study a course entirely in Japanese.

Hidden Content

she didn't think it through tho she just went ahead and jump to the language school train without even considering what she's going to do after.

and thank you i will search for other scholarships.

Posted (edited)

she didn't think it through tho she just went ahead and jump to the language school train without even considering what she's going to do after.

and thank you i will search for other scholarships.

lol yea, it's really obvious that she had absolutely no plans on what to do after her language school when she first started out. Considering how much "effort she put in to save" to fund her studies in a language school in Japan, if I were in her, I would've honestly thought harder about what to do with that money. She could've used that money to take the undergraduate studies route like many others have done but I guess the weeb in her back then clouded her judgement/rationality (perhaps "japanese language school" sounded cooler than plain old "university" at that time. lmao). At least now she's being realistic about the importance of having actual higher education certification to find a job in Japan and seems to be looking into it.

unlike ms simply_kenna *coughs* 

Edited by goodtimes
grammar

Posted

lol yea, it's really obvious that she had absolutely no plans on what to do after her language school when she first started out. Considering how much "effort she put in to save" to fund her studies in a language school in Japan, if I were in her, I would've honestly thought harder about what to do with that money. She could've used that money to take the undergraduate studies route like many others have done but I guess the weeb in her back then clouded her judgement/rationality (perhaps "japanese language school" sound cooler than plain old "university" at that time. lmao). At least now she's being realistic about the importance of having actual higher education certification to find a job in Japan and seems to be looking into it.

Hidden Content

kenna will never last a month in japan

Posted

I still find it hard to believe that she actually could move to Japan just by working part-time job and saving money from it, I mean look at her , she wears expensive cloths ,goes to professional hair salons every now and then, eats outside, lives in a nice appartement which requiers a lot more than just savings from mini jobs imho .doesn't she worry that with this lifestyle she might ran out of money in no time? .I am a foreigner student and my parents send me money every month ,which means I don't have anything to worry about but I still spend it very carefullylile VERY carefully. And plus I don't even think her current job is enough because she only works when she is not taking japanese lessons . Those kawaii girls sure  surprise me

Posted (edited)

kenna will never last a month in japan

i foresee kenna will have a hard time during her 1-year course at the language school since she's been away from the school environment for so long and admittedly almost dropped out for high school. Also, this will be Kenna's first attempt at learning a second language (and at her age, not impossible but it won't be easy at all), while Mikan is at least trilingual i believe (english, kurdish, swedish?). If Kenna isn't able to speak Japanese at a conversational level by the end of that one year, I wouldn't even be a single bit surprised since Mikan herself doesn't even seem comfortable speaking in Japanese in her own videos and Mikan has already been studying the language for much longer.

In terms of education, if Mikan had completed her Sixth Form in the UK, then she has the better advantage compared to Kenna, who only has her high school qualification. I'm not from the UK but our education system here emulates the British system and from my understanding, the Sixth Form is of the same level as Junior College.

Edited by goodtimes

Posted

i foresee kenna will have a hard time during her 1-year course at the language school since she's been away from the school environment for so long and admittedly almost dropped out for high school. Also, this will be Kenna's first attempt at learning a second language (and at her age, not impossible but it won't be easy at all), while Mikan is already trilingual i believe (english, kurdish, swedish?).

In terms of education, if Mikan had completed her Sixth Form in the UK, then she has the better advantage compared to Kenna, who only has her high school qualification. I'm not from the UK but our education system here emulates the British system and from my understanding, the Sixth Form is of the same level as Junior College.

yep Mikan is trilingual and kenna well good luck to her if she need one.

I still find it hard to believe that she actually could move to Japan just by working part-time job and saving money from it, I mean look at her , she wears expensive cloths ,goes to professional hair salons every now and then, eats outside, lives in a nice appartement which requiers a lot more than just savings from mini jobs imho .doesn't she worry that with this lifestyle she might ran out of money in no time? .I am a foreigner student and my parents send me money every month ,which means I don't have anything to worry about but I still spend it very carefullylile VERY carefully. And plus I don't even think her current job is enough because she only works when she is not taking japanese lessons . Those kawaii girls sure  surprise me

speaking of expensive salon, why of all the salon in japan she has to go to an english friendly one, nothing wrong with that unless you are a foreigner who doesn't speak any basic japanese. however mikan is learning japanese even if she doesn't speak it very well so that must be it but i remember watching her video when she got her hair permanent straight she said that even though the salon is english friendly she spoke japanese to the hair dresser however i couldn't hear any convo between her and the one doing her hair, probably just once but not the whole video bcos it was fast forward or something.

Posted

I know its been beaten to death but if Mikan is a swedish citizen, born in sweden, culturaly swedish and speaks the language she has every right to call her self swedish and identify as such. I wish that were the case in Japan too ( for people such as Mike Havenaar a Japanese soccerplayer of dutch descent born and raised in Japan)

She fully acknowledges that she is ethnically kurdish anyway so whats the big deal ?