• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

5452 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Off topic but I was reading Bunka's Wikipedia page and it states that students are not allowed to have part-time jobs? Maybe that's why she left her part-time job?

IMG_20200222_144002.thumb.png.3e10e6cf85

This must be some mistake on Wikipedia’s end. I’ve never even heard of a college in japan not allowing part time jobs, that’s honestly insane if it’s true. 

Edited by Granola

Posted

So I found this girl while I was on Instagram. She's from Sweden but her parents are Kurdish. She lives in the UK.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikan.mandarin/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbQIHySegAR0GlGak3_104w

What interested me was the fact is the hashtags she uses on her posts

59a2d3e040c91_.thumb.JPG.e678f271d394da0

She also sponsors a lot of her posts. 

She said before that she can't get into kpop but like the music. She also said before that she used to watch anime that she doesn't watch it anymore. 

She also sings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JHrb1sbBHo

She doesn't seem problematic to me, just a little weebish maybe? 

with nearly 200 pages on this thread, could OP update the first post? I'm trying to find out if she's completely problematic or not and why; but it's a bit hard with so many pages discussing bits of it all :/

Posted

Wait, huh?? Is Yasu gay? Or did Mikan maybe misinterpret the question as whether Yasu had told his parents about Mikan yet? Just seems SO obvious that they're dating that I'd be really surprised to find out that was the case and they're just friends. 

Posted (edited)

This must be some mistake on Wikipedia’s end. I’ve never even heard of a college in japan not allowing part time jobs, that’s honestly insane if it’s true. 

I looked it up online, I can't seem to find any info relating to Bunka Fashion College, but it's language-learning counterpart, the Bunka Language Institute has an FAQ page with a bit of information. Although, I don't actually know if Bunka Fashion College follows the same rules. The reference for that sentence on Wikipedia has long been deleted so I can't access the page.

But anyway, this is what it says on BIL:

1. The usual immigration restrictions of 28 hours max + immigration permission.
2. Part-time jobs that the Bunka Institute of Language does not approve of. It doesn't provide any explanation as to what kind of jobs are prohibited, though.
3. Cannot have a part-time job in the first 3 months after entry. But didn't she still have her part-time English teaching job several months into college and only quit a while ago??

Screenshot_25.thumb.png.09689a5a5f43a77f

Edited by Caeleigh
grammar coz I can't spell

Posted

with nearly 200 pages on this thread, could OP update the first post? I'm trying to find out if she's completely problematic or not and why; but it's a bit hard with so many pages discussing bits of it all :/

OP hasn’t logged in for nearly three years so skimming the pages is the best way to form your own opinion. She has some passionate haters and fans here

Posted

Yes, that's true. Legally speaking, anyone with a valid college student visa can apply for a permit to work the moment they step foot in Japan and pass through immigration at the airport. According to Japanese law, they can work up to 28 hours per week on this visa type. The college has absolutely no say in it. They may have a "no work" policy in principle but it's unenforceable in practice.

Posted

Wait, huh?? Is Yasu gay? Or did Mikan maybe misinterpret the question as whether Yasu had told his parents about Mikan yet? Just seems SO obvious that they're dating that I'd be really surprised to find out that was the case and they're just friends. 

yeah I think he might be gay. Explains why they asked if he came out to his parents. I don’t think anyone says ‘came out’ when talking about a heterosexual rs. And since she said he’s not bi then he’s probably gay. Which would also explain why she posts about him and wore the couple outfits, since they’re platonic. But who knows..

Posted

I think it meant coming out to his parents about his new relationship, maybe his dad isn't happy with a foreign girlfriend? Coz it does sound like they're dating.

Posted

I think it meant coming out to his parents about his new relationship, maybe his dad isn't happy with a foreign girlfriend? Coz it does sound like they're dating.

I mean it's possible. But I figured that with the mentioning of Nichome that the implication was that he's gay.

Posted

if he’s gay, is it really her place to talk about his sexual orientation and share whether he’s come out to his parents?

confused about what the truth is here.

Posted

if he’s gay, is it really her place to talk about his sexual orientation and share whether he’s come out to his parents?

confused about what the truth is here.

THIS^^ if he was gay I doubt he would tell a lot of people or let Mikan talk about it on stream as it’s a personal and sensitive topic 

Posted

THIS^^ if he was gay I doubt he would tell a lot of people or let Mikan talk about it on stream as it’s a personal and sensitive topic 

Almost every gay man I've met under 30 has been out and proud to everyone. There is no shame or sensitivity surrounding sexual orientation these days because why should there be? Love is love

Of course, one could argue that this is a very Western way of thinking and that it does not apply to the Japanese, and that is a valid argument. However, having heard Yasu speak, I can say that his English is at or near native level and he has a very strong English accent. It's obvious that he has spent a good part of his formative years in the UK and that has likely endowed him with a more Western mindset. That would explain his propensity for befriending Westerners in Japan and it would also explain his decision to come out to his parents.

If it were a sensitive topic for him then Mikan could have just ignored the question as it quickly scrolled off the screen. But she didn't.

Just my observation.

Posted

Almost every gay man I've met under 30 has been out and proud to everyone. There is no shame or sensitivity surrounding sexual orientation these days because why should there be? Love is love

Of course, one could argue that this is a very Western way of thinking and that it does not apply to the Japanese, and that is a valid argument. However, having heard Yasu speak, I can say that his English is at or near native level and he has a very strong English accent. It's obvious that he has spent a good part of his formative years in the UK and that has likely endowed him with a more Western mindset. That would explain his propensity for befriending Westerners in Japan and it would also explain his decision to come out to his parents.

If it were a sensitive topic for him then Mikan could have just ignored the question as it quickly scrolled off the screen. But she didn't.

Just my observation.

I didn’t mean it to sound backwards, Japan is very different from the west and even so, your sexuality is a personal topic, even in the west, tbh it’s no ones business what your sexuality is except for people you want to know, so if he is gay it’s not Mikan’s information to be spreading 

Posted (edited)

I feel like this exchange is odd if they’re not dating

6ED93906-CD51-47A3-9562-210A59B9C829.jpeg

Edited by PumpkinHead

Posted

yeah I think he might be gay. Explains why they asked if he came out to his parents. I don’t think anyone says ‘came out’ when talking about a heterosexual rs. And since she said he’s not bi then he’s probably gay. Which would also explain why she posts about him and wore the couple outfits, since they’re platonic. But who knows..

even if you were in a heterosexual rs (or not) you can still probably talk about coming out like for example “came out of a toxic rs” or “came out of an abusive rs” or “came out of an unhappy rs” or “came out of a ldr that didn't work out”.

Almost every gay man I've met under 30 has been out and proud to everyone.

if yasu really is out and proud then he would have shown it already, it would be blasted on his socials or something.