• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

5456 posts in this topic

Posted

Still feels like Mikan is instructing him what to post, it just all sounds so weird.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I thought. “Hey can u post this please so I look awesome that will be great. If you don’t post it I’ll spill the tea 😉💅🏻”

Posted

He could just be able to read/write English more fluently than he can speak it? I don't think it's strange at all.

I'm assuming he is going to America to study/for college and to do so he would need to be able to read and write english fluently in order to keep up with the coursework.

Posted

I think some people find it strange cause we know he started using Instagram more often because of mikan. And to me he seems like a very private person. I find it a bit unusual cause I think he wouldn't post it on public  (like what's the point.) Something that is very private. I think he would send a private message to mikan or a letter or something like that... and also when after the break up he didn't post anything for a long time. He "posted" again just to clarify he was in good terms with her. 

Anyway the message was cute. Hope he does well

Posted

In all fairness, the majority of her lookbooks/try-on-haul/style idea videos are sponsored advertisements... She didn't get those items because as a fashion student she wanted to share real fashion with people. She's just a walking advertisement for online stores that source their clothes from sweatshops with underpaid workers in poverty from developing nations. That whole store (Pastel Loves) she's advertising for literally sells the same kind of old weeb replicas that Mikan is advertising, not because as a fashion student she wants to share her "style".

I remember seeing a comment somewhere before that said '"Influencers" are just salespersons'. And honestly, that shit is true: Their purpose is to sell the items they have advertised in their videos by using their "friendly" images to attract people and make people want buy them so that the store profits and so does the advertiser (Mikan), while the buyer has a false sense of feeling like they can dress just like the "influencer" (salesperson) they look up to because they have fallen for their "friendly" images.

Rarely anything she wore in her videos has been her own creation. The only time we saw something she made, was her amateur entrance ceremony dress before she even started school and maybe one knitted cropped T-shit that only suits very skinny people with small breasts. The only time she shared a full-personal design was that atrocious fairy dress that looked like the ideas of a 10 year old into Winx Club or Barbie Fairytopia.

So again; she's a walking advertisement "influencer" for sweatshop stores, not a person who is out to share real fashion as a fashion student.

I keep seeing people talking about all Mikan does is buy fast fashion but are none of you guys doing the same? Pretty much everything retail is fast fashion. Does nobody here judging her buy fast fashion clothes anymore?

Posted

Rarely anything she wore in her videos has been her own creation. The only time we saw something she made, was her amateur entrance ceremony dress before she even started school and maybe one knitted cropped T-shit that only suits very skinny people with small breasts. The only time she shared a full-personal design was that atrocious fairy dress that looked like the ideas of a 10 year old into Winx Club or Barbie Fairytopia.

And also what's wrong with her making one crop top for a skinny person with small breasts!? I'm sure she made it for herself to wear so of course she'd make it small. Also I'm not Mikan or a stan of hers I've been following the thread for a while now but finally decided to make an account because I just don't agree with everything that's being said here.

Posted (edited)

I thought it was a genuine and sweet message, though IA it's weird to leave as a public comment. Maybe they aren't in contact through messaging anymore and he thought it would be the best way to reach her? I guess it's kind of weirdly performative to make it so public, and right before leaving the country. 

I hope he's moving to a welcoming place...

ehh they definitely are, mikan always randomly posts their line chats and she goes on about having lunch with his parents every other week. 
I also think it’s a weird thing to post publicly and that his Instagram is literally 95% mikan posts. Literally looks like she’s the one behind haha which would be super sad  

Edited by honey

Posted

Yeah, that’s exactly what I thought. “Hey can u post this please so I look awesome that will be great. If you don’t post it I’ll spill the tea 😉💅🏻”

OT but your comment had me cackling.

Posted

tbh when they (or was it just vina) mentioned that they broke up last year, i kinda guessed that it had something to do with his studies cuz didn't he fail an entrance exam and had to re-sit for it..? (i remember someone mentioning it around end 2018) Plus if he were aiming to study overseas, that kinda makes sense if he decided to take a break from a bf/gf relationship and just remain friends cuz they do seem to be in good terms.  

i too don't really find it weird that his written English seems better than his spoken English cuz for reasons some people already mentioned in the comments above. 

Posted

I don’t find it strange at all, I used to do this all the time on my Instagram when I was... 14 lol. I genuinely don’t believe Vina made him write this, simply because I don’t think she is this shameless and self absorbed, and also I don’t think Hiro would accept. Anyways it’s sweet I guess but it’s a little cringy imo, but maybe that’s just because I used to do it lol. Hiro is young and has shown to be a bit naive about couple of things so this absolutely does not surprise me. He sounds like a nice person i hope he’ll honestly move on. 

Posted

I am so sick of the animal crossing stories I want to unfollow her 

and I LOVE animal crossing but it’s too fcking  much, her insta is supposed to be about fashion and life in japan... 

Posted (edited)

I keep seeing people talking about all Mikan does is buy fast fashion but are none of you guys doing the same? Pretty much everything retail is fast fashion. Does nobody here judging her buy fast fashion clothes anymore?

(i'm working on a paper on plastic pollution rn, so i'm feeling kinda inclined to answer this.. lol)

i don't speak for all the PULL members here but personally, i've been trying to cut down on buying new clothes. Fast fashion is all about following what is trendy at the moment and i find it really wasteful cuz when it goes out of style and gets thrown out..well, if it's lucky it'll get a second life from a thrift store but lbr, because of the world's over-consumption, most unwanted clothes end up in landfills. To quote: "On average, 700,000 tons of used clothing gets exported overseas and 2.5 million tons of clothing are recycled. But over three million tons are incinerated, and a staggering 10 million tons get sent to landfills.

So, what I do now is that i buy pieces that are more minimalist/classic that won't go out in style. In fact, i just try not to buy any new clothes at all if i can. i understand that clothing from ethical brands can be unaffordable to a lot, but the price tag shouldn't be an excuse for not trying to be more sustainable. Just buying a whole lot less can actually make a difference. Being smart when you make a purchase, buying secondhand clothes and getting new outfits from clothes swap all can help.

I used to enjoy watching clothes haul but now that i'm older, i'm a bit more critical about 'influencer culture" and how toxic it can be. Influencers like Mikan get new clothes from large hauls almost every month (No one really needs that many clothes) and promote nothing else but to "buy, buy and buy more"... I'm just done with being bombarded by ads everywhere on the internet and even adblock doesn't help now.

(also re: your second comment. we are all just random strangers on the internet sharing our opinions here after all, so it's perfectly normal to encounter something you don't agree with. Not attacking you or anything. Just wanna say that there's no need to take everything to heart here. I too don't agree with some comments on this thread sometimes) 

Edited by goodtimes

Posted

Her stories are getting really annoying and boring

Posted

Her stories are getting really annoying and boring

all he does is post about ACNL/NH, now I LOVE ANIMAL CROSSING. It’s helped me through a lot but seeing 50 AC posts on her story everyday is so annoying, I prefer her friend (the one with the purple hair can’t think of her name ) to her as she has good style and just seems more likeable, Mikan is still the girl from Facebook, just hiding behind a face persona, recording all her friends and refusing to delete a video about Piper, who she’s not even friends with anymore. She probably kept it up because a title like “FORCING my LONG DISTANCE BFF to move to JAPAN!!!!” Gets a lot of clicks. I don’t think she’s a horrible person but she makes me uncomfortable as soon as the hype for ACNH is over she will forget it completely